ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody on a diet for Inflammation?

LightningJack

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 19, 2002
Been feeling really off for the last several weeks (more than normal ;) So went to the Dr. and got a bunch of bloodwork done. Everything is great, but my hsCRP (test for inflammation) is pretty high. I've lost 30 lbs this year, mainly just walking the dogs more and eliminating a lot of junk food and pop. I need to get on something better, as this inflammation is kicking my ass and joints & Aleve and Tylenol aintz cuttin it.

I'm open to try a (better) diet. I've just been making better choices till now, haven't committed to anything real serious yet. I'm wondering if anybody has had any luck in dealing with this issue specifically and what diet are you on and have you had any good luck with Keto, Paleo, Mediterranean, etc. Lots of information out there and more ways to spend my $$$

Thanks, GBR

No, but I should be. Lead with vegetables, then fruits, a small amount of protein and a few nuts. Stay away from dairy, and limit alcohol. That'll about do it. eliminates a lot of fun stuff though
Cutting out Dairy will be a tough one but that's 3rd on my list. Alcohol I drink 2-3 on the weekends now, thinking cut it to one. Deserts & pop are 1 & 2, tired of feeling like crap. I might even get on one of these meal plans for a month or and pay the big bucks just to make it easy and feel better till I have the energy to cook more.

Reactions: Skerz81
Carnivore diet or Keto with intermediate fasting. Stay away from everything with seed oils.(canola, soybean, sunflower, etc.) They are literally toxic to the body. Olive, avacoado, palm, coconut oil are fine. Pretty much have to make everything from home though and not go out to eat. Look at labels very carefully. Dr Ken berry on YouTube has some great info also dr rob cywers. I have lost 60lbs in 6 months with ketovore and intermediate fasting reverend my insulin resistance and lowered my fasting blood sugar back down to normal. Borderline pre diabetic and feel great. Played golf 5 days in a row and did not even feel like. Recovery is amazing. Literally changed my life

Carnivore diet or Keto with intermediate fasting. Stay away from everything with seed oils.(canola, soybean, sunflower, etc.) They are literally toxic to the body. Olive, avacoado, palm, coconut oil are fine. Pretty much have to make everything from home though and not go out to eat. Look at labels very carefully. Dr Ken berry on YouTube has some great info also dr rob cywers. I have lost 60lbs in 6 months with ketovore and intermediate fasting reverend my insulin resistance and lowered my fasting blood sugar back down to normal. Borderline pre diabetic and feel great. Played golf 5 days in a row and did not even feel like. Recovery is amazing. Literally changed my life

Congratz, that's what I am looking to hear. Diabetes sucks, my dad and sister are both on insulin. I had my A1C checked and it was 5.2 considering that and I'm almost 50, losing 75 lbs would be in my best interest.

I'm gonna watch that, thanks.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Congratz, that's what I am looking to hear. Diabetes sucks, my dad and sister are both on insulin. I had my A1C checked and it was 5.2 considering that and I'm almost 50, losing 75 lbs would be in my best interest.

I'm gonna watch that, thanks.
My a1c level was getting borderline and Dr wanted to do some things. I said hold on Jack , give me 90 days and we'll talk. After 75 days our clinic had a blood test special. I showed it to him when I ran into him at our local convenience store. He said, I'm guessing you won't be coming in at 90days huh?

Yep. Eliminated breads and potatoes, deserts etc. AND yes cut out alcohol too dang it.

Now I know what it takes for me and I can do it. Time to do it again though....

My a1c level was getting borderline and Dr wanted to do some things. I said hold on Jack , give me 90 days and we'll talk. After 75 days our clinic had a blood test special. I showed it to him when I ran into him at our local convenience store. He said, I'm guessing you won't be coming in at 90days huh?

Yep. Eliminated breads and potatoes, deserts etc. AND yes cut out alcohol too dang it.

Now I know what it takes for me and I can do it. Time to do it again though....
Figured I'd be cutting out most carbs, I'm not big on berries but read many good things last couple days on smoothies and such. I've got a damn Vitamix in the basement, time to dust that off.

Been on keto for 2 years straight. Less than 20 carbs a day the whole time. Feel great and dont see myself changing back. Eventually you dont really think about what you're "missing". And bourbon is keto friendly.
Damn that's hard to do, harder to stay with it that long. Mad Props!

Been on keto for 2 years straight. Less than 20 carbs a day the whole time. Feel great and dont see myself changing back. Eventually you dont really think about what you're "missing". And bourbon is keto friendly.

When I was in my prime and racing mountain and road bikes all over I ate like this and it was fantastic for endurance. Could race for hours and not get to hungry. Standard western diet would have me eating a burrito every 1-2 hrs. Switched to this and it was aweso.e!!

Reactions: LightningJack
I notice wheat bread affects my joints, so I happily cut that out of my diet and it helps in not triggering inflammation. I still eat some breads, but only white. The supposedly healthy stuff is bad for me anyways.

Kale is super food. Eat kale. Eat kale every single day. Kale is esepcially good as an anti iflammatory. I cannot believe how much more effective my workouts and diets are when I mash the shit outta kale.

For breakfast fry an egg and a bunch of spinach and kale and a little butter. Butter and eggs are fine, btw, as they are both real food. Avoid margarines and as said above oils other than olive. Bonus points if you work out before eating that breakfast. Throw a little shredded cheese on if youd like. This will keep you full until lunch.

Eliminate bread except on occasion. Really, you don’t need it.
Learn to love broccoli. Steam it.
Berries are important but dont eat a whole carton. A handful of blueberries and a few strawberries.

I have inflammation of the stomach.
Yes! And my problem is that I’m great if I skip dinner and just go alcohol, but not good if I go dinner + alcohol.

I’m not willing to quit alcohol, so I assume I just have to quit eating dinner again, which I was great with years ago, but not so good with anymore.

I guess my only thing is...how do I get my wife to stop making things I want to eat, while also not making her feel guilty and/or make her feel like I don’t like her cooking.

Also, what beer/alcohols will be appetite suppressors?

I’ll hang up and listen...

Been feeling really off for the last several weeks (more than normal ;) So went to the Dr. and got a bunch of bloodwork done. Everything is great, but my hsCRP (test for inflammation) is pretty high. I've lost 30 lbs this year, mainly just walking the dogs more and eliminating a lot of junk food and pop. I need to get on something better, as this inflammation is kicking my ass and joints & Aleve and Tylenol aintz cuttin it.

I'm open to try a (better) diet. I've just been making better choices till now, haven't committed to anything real serious yet. I'm wondering if anybody has had any luck in dealing with this issue specifically and what diet are you on and have you had any good luck with Keto, Paleo, Mediterranean, etc. Lots of information out there and more ways to spend my $$$

Thanks, GBR
Omega 3'S. Eat tuna and salmon.

Yes! And my problem is that I’m great if I skip dinner and just go alcohol, but not good if I go dinner + alcohol.

I’m not willing to quit alcohol, so I assume I just have to quit eating dinner again, which I was great with years ago, but not so good with anymore.

I guess my only thing is...how do I get my wife to stop making things I want to eat, while also not making her feel guilty and/or make her feel like I don’t like her cooking.

Also, what beer/alcohols will be appetite suppressors?

I’ll hang up and listen...
My god I love this post!

I am cutting weight right now and for the first two weeks just ate way less and still drank. The last 4 days I have decided to cut out drinking, it sucks. But I am just trying to accelerate the weight loss for those last 10 pounds.

It is just so nice to kick back and relax with some drinks at night.

I'm always a bit wary of people who boast about their own fitness, but here goes.

When I moved from Colorado to Iowa four years ago, I put on my "Iowa 25" and was inflamed like nobody's business, and also had a severely herniated disc that put me flat on my back. So with my wife's help (she's an acupuncturist), I started this diet, and within six months had graduated to being this guy:

I'm 59 years old, 6-0, 165 and swim three times a week, run twice a week and do resistance training the other two days. I bike when I can. BFP is a solid 15 percent. NO inflammation to speak of.

On a typical day I eat oatmeal and fruit before my morning workout, then have a veggie/fruit smoothie (no dairy) after, followed usually by a green salad with tuna or salmon and a simple olive oil vinaigrette. After work, I eat a simple dinner of a protein (fish or chicken) and veggies. Tonight it was a barramundi fillet sautéd in olive oil, with kale, carrots, celery, mango on the side. I topped the fish with a simple aioli and some slivered almonds. Snacks are olives, nuts, hummus, carrots.

I feel 39 again, and I treat myself to an occasional beer (tonight we split an Iowa City lager from Big Grove), and a Saturday Manhattan.

I know the next setback is just around some corner, and aging will continue to limit me, but I'm so glad I changed my diet and lifestyle. It may sound routine and monotonous, but at this point, I want to live as healthy a life as I can until I'm dead.

Now if I can just find my way out of Iowa....

Me and wife are keto/carnivore.

Dairy causes me all kinds of bad shit. Not sure if it is the lactose, casein or whey.

Grains and seed oils are mostly garbage.

I avoid spinach, kale, chards, almonds, peanuts, cashews and other oxalate rich foods.

Sugar is the devil. I eat berries if I need something sweet.

Do you take CBD oil? My inflammation in my knees and elbows from lifting was off the charts. Constant pain. CBD oil was suggested and 2 days later I felt good as new. Pill in the am and one at night.

Salt and bread.

Reduce your sodium intake and bread intake and it will do wonders.

Bread is a bitch to cut back on as everybody likes a good sammich or burger, but if you can cut back to 1 or 2 times a week, (or even less), it can do wonders.

Salt/sodium is the other. There is so much ridiculous salt in all our processed and canned foods it is crazy. Check the labels and know what you eat, because I'm sure you are well over 2,000mg of sodium a day. Cut that back to 2,000mg a day (and maybe even 1200 to 1500 if you can) and you'll notice a difference.

Reactions: WHCSC
Do you take CBD oil? My inflammation in my knees and elbows from lifting was off the charts. Constant pain. CBD oil was suggested and 2 days later I felt good as new. Pill in the am and one at night.
Never wandered down that road, not against it. I need to lose weight to get a knee replacement too, part of why I'm asking.

I might be trying it for my dog here soon, I'll keep it on my radar if I can't find relief here at some point.

Also, include avocados in your diet. What I’ve been doing lately is splitting a large avocado in two, heating a skillet or pan with some olive oil, season the avocado with what you like (I’ve been using either Greek Seasoning or Cuban Seasoning), sear the avocado on both sides, and enjoy.

It’s a great substitute for any baked potato or side dish, plus you can honestly just eat one on its own. Great fiber, fat, honest calories, you name it.

Salt and bread.

Reduce your sodium intake and bread intake and it will do wonders.

Bread is a bitch to cut back on as everybody likes a good sammich or burger, but if you can cut back to 1 or 2 times a week, (or even less), it can do wonders.

Salt/sodium is the other. There is so much ridiculous salt in all our processed and canned foods it is crazy. Check the labels and know what you eat, because I'm sure you are well over 2,000mg of sodium a day. Cut that back to 2,000mg a day (and maybe even 1200 to 1500 if you can) and you'll notice a difference.
My Salt usage is gonna be hard to Lick.

Anybody?

Bit yeah, I do use Alot of salt. Only once in the last week though. I was slowly trying to faze some things out, but need to up my timeline. Really feel like crap, the way it happened so quick is what really perplexed me.

Reactions: paphusker
Talk to an actual Registered Dietitian. Freaking EVERYONE thinks they know what you should be eating, go see an actual pro who has gone to college and grad school for this stuff and passed the proper exams.

This will take you to the membership & credentialing body for dietitians where you can find somebody near you. If somebody not an RD in the US then odds are they're full of shit on the subject of what you should/shouldn't eat, you have to pass exams and keep up your continuing ed with this organization. I used to work there.

Talk to an actual Registered Dietitian. Freaking EVERYONE thinks they know what you should be eating, go see an actual pro who has gone to college and grad school for this stuff and passed the proper exams.

This will take you to the membership & credentialing body for dietitians where you can find somebody near you. If somebody not an RD in the US then odds are they're full of shit on the subject of what you should/shouldn't eat, you have to pass exams and keep up your continuing ed with this organization. I used to work there.

The problem with this is that they go to school and learn the wrong stuff. They are taught false information regaurding nutrition. The nutrition industry is bought out by big pharma. Don't believe me look at the AHA and see who the donors are. Most are all big pharma. Why because the more unhealthy you are the more meds they can sell you which means more money in there pocket. It's all about money. I changed to a doctor in omaha that had finally woke up about the nutrition industry and when she started to dive into stuff she was shocked. She told me when she was in med school they spoke about 5 minutes on how diabetes affects the body and then a whole week on the meds to prescribe for diabetes. Never once spoke about diet or how to cure it. If you do some research into why they tell you to eat certain things and how we got there it is pretty eye opening and disgusting we got to this in the first place bc of money. Just because you went to school doesn't mean you know anything. Being self taught and actually reading studies and understanding how the body works can be just as useful. I've asked dietitcians questions regaurding certain deits and they don't have an answer because they are fed lies. Why would you eat carbs when your diabetic, so you can keep getting prescribed insulin. Carbs will raise blood sugar and therefore require insulin to lower it bc your body can't do that. What diet do they usually prescibe the standard amaerican diet. Low fat and high carbs. Wake up. The only person that cares about your health and well being is yourself. We have been fed lies our whole life.

My wife and I eat what you would call dirty keto since January. We are both down quite a bit. Keto sucks for the first couple weeks but you feel so much better after you get rid of the added sugars. We will have a cheat meal every couple weeks and it usually helps me. With any fad diet if you quit and go back to your old habits you will gain the wait back. I lost a ton of weight on keto 2 years before I met my wife, we got married had a couple kids and I let myself gain way to much weight back.

My goal was to reduce inflammation and hopefully my peripheral neuropathy. I cut out all pop, have had only water to drink and in the winter months, hot tea. Cut most of dairy except milk on cereal. Only sourdough bread with organic peanut butter as a spread. Greatly reduced refined sugar. Lots of blueberries. I did not try at all to cut weight and went from 215 to 185.

The problem with this is that they go to school and learn the wrong stuff. They are taught false information regaurding nutrition. The nutrition industry is bought out by big pharma. Don't believe me look at the AHA and see who the donors are. Most are all big pharma. Why because the more unhealthy you are the more meds they can sell you which means more money in there pocket. It's all about money. I changed to a doctor in omaha that had finally woke up about the nutrition industry and when she started to dive into stuff she was shocked. She told me when she was in med school they spoke about 5 minutes on how diabetes affects the body and then a whole week on the meds to prescribe for diabetes. Never once spoke about diet or how to cure it. If you do some research into why they tell you to eat certain things and how we got there it is pretty eye opening and disgusting we got to this in the first place bc of money. Just because you went to school doesn't mean you know anything. Being self taught and actually reading studies and understanding how the body works can be just as useful. I've asked dietitcians questions regaurding certain deits and they don't have an answer because they are fed lies. Why would you eat carbs when your diabetic, so you can keep getting prescribed insulin. Carbs will raise blood sugar and therefore require insulin to lower it bc your body can't do that. What diet do they usually prescibe the standard amaerican diet. Low fat and high carbs. Wake up. The only person that cares about your health and well being is yourself. We have been fed lies our whole life.
A lot of the blame lays at the feet of Ancel Keys. He falsified his studies to conclude that saturated fat was the problem, leading to the immunity of carbohydrates and the grain industry. Another example of making money at the cost of the populace. **** that guy so hard.

Also, the dietetics association was founded by the 7th day adventists and continues to be influenced to this day. Graham crackers were invented as a way to lower sex drive and Kellogg's is also a 7th day adventist. 7th day believed that meat eating caused primal urges.

My gal pal and I were eating at Wilson and Washburn few nights ago and this little bombshell that couldn't be over 25 waited on us, and because my gal is a vegetarian and was asking questions about something on the menu the waitress chimed in that she was a pescatarian (we didn't ask, but whatevs), which I had never heard of so I asked what it is...basically it's supposed to be somebody that doesn't eat meat but does eat fish, then she follows it up with "But I do like chicken from time to time and pork is OK if it's cooked right"....So after I held in my laughter and she walked away I turned to my girl and shoved my tongue down her throat (nothing to do with the story I just like doing that in public) and said, "so basically she eats everything but feels the need to join all the other special little snowflakes that have to label themselves something in order to feel special"

You want real advice that will work 100% of the time? Follow a bodybuilder diet (not the bulking phase), those MFers are crazy about what goes into their body

My gal pal and I were eating at Wilson and Washburn few nights ago and this little bombshell that couldn't be over 25 waited on us, and because my gal is a vegetarian and was asking questions about something on the menu the waitress chimed in that she was a pescatarian (we didn't ask, but whatevs), which I had never heard of so I asked what it is...basically it's supposed to be somebody that doesn't eat meat but does eat fish, then she follows it up with "But I do like chicken from time to time and pork is OK if it's cooked right"....So after I held in my laughter and she walked away I turned to my girl and shoved my tongue down her throat (nothing to do with the story I just like doing that in public) and said, "so basically she eats everything but feels the need to join all the other special little snowflakes that have to label themselves something in order to feel special"
tmi

I've known a couple people like that, called themselves Flexaterians. A family friend would only eat meat on Holidays so as not to offend family. But inside still called herself a Vegetarian.

I told her, if it once had Eye Balls and you ate it. You can't call yourself anything that starts with Veg.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
This diet is not easy for most but Whole 30 helps a ton with feeling better overall. It’s not necessarily to lose weight but more to “reset” your body. I feel amaizing when I do it but it’s strict and hard to stick with long term. The good thing is you can eat as much as you want, bad thing is by the end of the 30 days your so sick of fruits, veggies and eggs that the thought of eating more of the same thing turns you off from food.

I'm always a bit wary of people who boast about their own fitness, but here goes.

When I moved from Colorado to Iowa four years ago, I put on my "Iowa 25" and was inflamed like nobody's business, and also had a severely herniated disc that put me flat on my back. So with my wife's help (she's an acupuncturist), I started this diet, and within six months had graduated to being this guy:

I'm 59 years old, 6-0, 165 and swim three times a week, run twice a week and do resistance training the other two days. I bike when I can. BFP is a solid 15 percent. NO inflammation to speak of.

On a typical day I eat oatmeal and fruit before my morning workout, then have a veggie/fruit smoothie (no dairy) after, followed usually by a green salad with tuna or salmon and a simple olive oil vinaigrette. After work, I eat a simple dinner of a protein (fish or chicken) and veggies. Tonight it was a barramundi fillet sautéd in olive oil, with kale, carrots, celery, mango on the side. I topped the fish with a simple aioli and some slivered almonds. Snacks are olives, nuts, hummus, carrots.

I feel 39 again, and I treat myself to an occasional beer (tonight we split an Iowa City lager from Big Grove), and a Saturday Manhattan.

I know the next setback is just around some corner, and aging will continue to limit me, but I'm so glad I changed my diet and lifestyle. It may sound routine and monotonous, but at this point, I want to live as healthy a life as I can until I'm dead.

Now if I can just find my way out of Iowa....
how do you know you have no inflammation?

Reactions: 9and4 and WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT