ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody else surprised...

I took a cursory look at the class and saw a lot of names from the state or nearby. My mind veered into the gutter that we were giving schollies to walk ons.. certainly not the way it used to be.. a couple of 4 stars, and decent class ranking pulled me out of the gutter and I mumbled something about it being a screwed up year and we’ll see how it goes.. not going to complain or party about it.

I know I’m in the minority on this, but I wasn’t surprised. For the most part, they had been committed for a while and many of the recruits are from the 500 mile radius. We didn’t have any of those last minute soap operas.

The results on the field don’t bother them as much as us, because they like the coaches and their vision/system. When they see our current guys failing, they probably just think I could make that block, or catch that pass or whatever.

I said this in another thread, but this class reminds me of a Pelini class, in a good way. A lot of guys from the 500 mile radius. A lot of kids that were leaders on good programs and a lot of kids committed for a while. I think this is what we need more of. Yes, we need top end talent, but it needs to be guys like Wandale, not guys like Mo Washington.

They must not read this board lately. Look, I'm disappointed, perplexed AND atleast once a day pissed off about this year. I figured we'd be ready to play and kick ass because this staff handled the players right. Little China virus etc. Boy was I wrong. But I'm in it for the long haul.

I don't think most of our commits were that wanted by many other P5 schools. Even with losing, if I had to pick Doane or Nebraska I'd take that Nebraska offer.

Its a slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean. Does it seem weird to you that a lot of top recruits never end up flashing the way we think? Doesn't it ever make you wonder if our "top" recruits, weren't really wanted by other places? The pieces start adding up if you look at about the last 10 years and apply a critical eye to the recruiting rankings.

Its a slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean. Does it seem weird to you that a lot of top recruits never end up flashing the way we think? Doesn't it ever make you wonder if our "top" recruits, weren't really wanted by other places? The pieces start adding up if you look at about the last 10 years and apply a critical eye to the recruiting rankings.
Bama and just about everybody else wanted Fidone. The only rating that really matters is their play grades after a Saturday game.

Don't be stupid. Go look at the offer lists of this class. Most of them have multiple Power 5 offers.

I'm aware how the recruiting game works, and how offers get tossed out and when they are or aren't actually committable. It was a little bit of hyperbole, but it's not crazy if you sit down and look at the commitment lists over the last 9-10 years and evaluate who did what, who stayed, and who left, and who made a difference on the field. Combined with our WL record, it paints a reasonably clear picture as to what is going on.

I'm aware how the recruiting game works, and how offers get tossed out and when they are or aren't actually committable. It was a little bit of hyperbole, but it's not crazy if you sit down and look at the commitment lists over the last 9-10 years and evaluate who did what, who stayed, and who left, and who made a difference on the field. Combined with our WL record, it paints a reasonably clear picture as to what is going on.
We have had multiple coaching staffs turnover and have done a poor job developing players?

... that more of our prospects DIDNT bail????

kind of impressed by that...
Yes and no, this going to sound out there but I think there are less and less kids care about how teams are year to year if they weren’t apart of it. Think it’s changed to the dream the staff can sell and the relationship with the coach that’s recruiting them.

Reactions: CatColumbia
I know I’m in the minority on this, but I wasn’t surprised. For the most part, they had been committed for a while and many of the recruits are from the 500 mile radius. We didn’t have any of those last minute soap operas.

The results on the field don’t bother them as much as us, because they like the coaches and their vision/system. When they see our current guys failing, they probably just think I could make that block, or catch that pass or whatever.

I said this in another thread, but this class reminds me of a Pelini class, in a good way. A lot of guys from the 500 mile radius. A lot of kids that were leaders on good programs and a lot of kids committed for a while. I think this is what we need more of. Yes, we need top end talent, but it needs to be guys like Wandale, not guys like Mo Washington.

Hit it on the nail. I listened to Fidone, Buford, Carnie today and they seem to be really tight with each other (chat groups) and were really surprised why we lost to some bad teams. They said that they’ve been in contact with players that are currently on the team and the message was positive and aligned with Frosts vision. So that was great to hear that the young guys are all N. And listening to Fidone, that guy has the IT factor. Doesn’t fear anyone and backs it up.

I think the class is okay. I am really excited about Fidone. I don't think this class is going to get us a BIG title but hopefully helps get us to competitive in the West, WI and IA did get better classes for the first time.
My expectations have gone from, BIG 10 tile and maybe CFP in 5 or 6 years to competitive in the West. Sad statement to make.

I think the class is okay. I am really excited about Fidone. I don't think this class is going to get us a BIG title but hopefully helps get us to competitive in the West, WI and IA did get better classes for the first time.
My expectations have gone from, BIG 10 tile and maybe CFP in 5 or 6 years to competitive in the West. Sad statement to make.
Wisconsin did have a very good class, but Iowa does not have a better class than Nebraska. We are ranked 19th and they are 27th, not really even close. And our class could still add some highly rated guys. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if we end up ahead of Wisconsin too.

I think you may have to readjust your expectations to not being the worst in the west

This could be a case of younger kids thinking that they will get some playing time sooner than later. With the transfer portal, making the decision to go to any school is not as solid as it once was.

The bigger problem is how long it will take for the current coaching staff to ruin them?

ADVERTISEMENT