ADVERTISEMENT

Any info on the new OLBs?

Oct 7, 2012
Specifically Niko Cooper, Jimari Butler, Blaise Gunnerson, or Javin Wright ?

After watching KSU and MSU upset OU & LSU, I'm getting desperate for Husker football and looking for any kool-aid to drink.

We know what we've got in JoJo. I'm starting to lose faith that Caleb Tannor turns the corner...
Personal opinions but I don't see Garrett Nelson as an every down guy... And Alston & Graham don't seem to have the quickness of pure pass rushers.

Someone give me a reason optimism. Made up stories are fine.

Reactions: Bold Words

After watching KSU and MSU upset OU & LSU, I'm getting desperate for Husker football and looking for any kool-aid to drink.

We know what we've got in JoJo. I'm starting to lose faith that Caleb Tannor turns the corner...
Personal opinions but I don't see Garrett Nelson as an every down guy... And Alston & Graham don't seem to have the quickness of pure pass rushers.

Only thing i suggest is waiting and seeing how Caleb Tannor looks this year under Dawson as position coach. This will be year 3 for him as he didn’t redshirt his true freshman year. Dude has the athleticism, pure speed, pass rushing ability and he’s said to be able to drop back in coverage too. He needs to work on discipline and fine tune a few other things and then he should be fine.

Let’s see how year 3 goes for him considering most LBs are RS sophomores at this point in time of their career.

About the only good thing I saw Tannor do last year was hit a QB hard. He was not really making a lot of plays when he was on the field. He could not unseat Alex Davis, let's remember that.

About the only good thing I saw Tannor do last year was hit a QB hard. He was not really making a lot of plays when he was on the field. He could not unseat Alex Davis, let's remember that.

Actually to start off it was Alex Davis and Caleb Tannor as starters. Eventually it ended up being Davis and Jojo with Nelson and Tannor as their back ups.

Edited, this is the depth chart for the Iowa game (last game of the season) and It shows Alex Davis and Jojo on the same side and Caleb Tannor or G Nelson on the other side. Either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerMania257460
The OLB discipline cost us games last year. Too many questions in the front seven to be optimistic at this point.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Only thing i suggest is waiting and seeing how Caleb Tannor looks this year under Dawson as position coach. This will be year 3 for him as he didn’t redshirt his true freshman year. Dude has the athleticism, pure speed, pass rushing ability and he’s said to be able to drop back in coverage too. He needs to work on discipline and fine tune a few other things and then he should be fine.

Let’s see how year 3 goes for him considering most LBs are RS sophomores at this point in time of their career.

I haven't completely given up on Tannor, but last year was disappointing. He just seemed non-existent when he was in there. Never really even saw him flash. I do like Dawson though and I'm excited to have him back both as a coach and recruiter. He has a good presence in the NE.

Caleb Tannor has a little bit of speed, but that's about it. He has close to 0 football instincts. Garrett Nelson is what we need against the run and he has decent pass rushing ability. I think he's by far our best option at that spot. Would like to see what the younger guys can do but I've seen enough of Tannor that I don't see him turning a corner.

Agreed but he is still young. Hoping he still just needed the game to slow down for him mentally.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Personally, even in HS football, LB is a position of instincts. There is so much going on in front of you, blockers coming straight at you and from either side, read the play, find the shortest route to the RB/QB, stay under control.

Watch Lavonte, he had some of the best instincts I have seen for a while from a LB.

I think we get overly excited when we see a LB make a great play on a blitz but fail to see what they are doing in the other two downs. Are they around the ball and making plays?

KSU’s pass rush was pretty legit (I only saw the last quarter I think). Made me jealous.

Reactions: TheBeav815
To answer OP's original question, no news on the new OLBs. It's a good question though. Perhaps the OWH and LJS writers who troll this forum looking for stories will follow up when Dawson is available for questions.

Niko Cooper is the one everyone is looking for. Butler is raw, but very athletic. Gunnerson... Idk. wright idk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT