ADVERTISEMENT

Any Data on Banker, Cav, Riley as motivators?

ExxHusker

Walk On
Nov 21, 2001
When Bo was DC used to hear legends about him getting D ready. Milt had the pipeline ready to "get low and be the toughest line" every game. Talking easy he said "do it". TO really got team to play with and edge. I remember them bouncing off the tunnel walls when we played A&M after the miracle in Missouri. In the Fiesta NU knocked out the Gators with early viciousness. I just don't see so far that Banker, Cav, and Riley have this special ability. McBride knew how to get a defense pumped - love each other, do it for the greatest coach of all time. What do people know about this staffs history? (Maybe they need to assign a Grant Wistrom to do the job.:))

Last edited:
While I agree for the most part, it is a different time. In those days we had the best athletes, and they were killers. This generation sucks. Too many pre-madonnas.

Not really a thing to quantify and put data to. I think your proof is in the game Saturday. It would have been easy to get rolled over after a tough start. The key is to balance that "fire" with execution. IMO Bo let the fire overrule the execution. TO may have been the best ever in this regard and I think Riley can do well there as he has a similar temperament.

My concern with this staff is on their ability to just win games. It's hard to put hard science on this either but I believe the percentages of games within a score that Nebraska won under Bo was obscenely high. They just had a knack for pulling it out even when you wouldn't say we deserved it. The two game sample size is too small to declare anything, but for whatever reason things have gone the other direction under this staff thus far. The Miami game was a great effort, but you can point to some poor decisions against BYU.

Reactions: StrongArm517
Not really a thing to quantify and put data to. I think your proof is in the game Saturday. It would have been easy to get rolled over after a tough start. The key is to balance that "fire" with execution. IMO Bo let the fire overrule the execution. TO may have been the best ever in this regard and I think Riley can do well there as he has a similar temperament.

My concern with this staff is on their ability to just win games. It's hard to put hard science on this either but I believe the percentages of games within a score that Nebraska won under Bo was obscenely high. They just had a knack for pulling it out even when you wouldn't say we deserved it. The two game sample size is too small to declare anything, but for whatever reason things have gone the other direction under this staff thus far. The Miami game was a great effort, but you can point to some poor decisions against BYU.
a slight concern of mine too. Way to early to feel snakebitten however.

Reread what you just wrote OP. Don't you think it is a bit of a stretch to compare national championship caliber players' excitement during a national championship run with the situation last Saturday?

Reread what you just wrote OP. Don't you think it is a bit of a stretch to compare national championship caliber players' excitement during a national championship run with the situation last Saturday?

Riley is getting paid $3M a year. He had a shot to go undefeated or one loss (MSU) before the CG. Did Miami mean as much to him as it should have? He didn't have the team ready. He could be in the middle of a great run himself but I don't get the vibe that winning this year/having a great year is his overriding passion. He is thinking the future. Fine. But that could become a habit. I want to see a fire in Riley, Banker, and Cav and their units that I haven't seen. This is Nebraska! Poor coaching on the hail Mary. Poor kicking, repeated penalties, dropped passed, three steps slow on defense, no pass rush, our DB play, our guard play, running back that doesn't have an edge, qb that throws bad interceptions over and over and fumbles. Not using Tommy's mobility until it is too late. I think he needs to light a fire under this team and his defensive and line coaches. Does he really want to win now the way that TO did?

Riley is getting paid $3M a year. He had a shot to go undefeated or one loss (MSU) before the CG. Did Miami mean as much to him as it should have? He didn't have the team ready. He could be in the middle of a great run himself but I don't get the vibe that winning this year/having a great year is his overriding passion. He is thinking the future. Fine. But that could become a habit. I want to see a fire in Riley, Banker, and Cav and their units that I haven't seen. This is Nebraska! Poor coaching on the hail Mary. Poor kicking, repeated penalties, dropped passed, three steps slow on defense, no pass rush, our DB play, our guard play, running back that doesn't have an edge, qb that throws bad interceptions over and over and fumbles. Not using Tommy's mobility until it is too late. I think he needs to light a fire under this team and his defensive and line coaches. Does he really want to win now the way that TO did?

Riley and the team just aren't that interested in winning? Listen to yourself. There are many criticisms that could be made, that's just stupid though.

We told you.

Riley is a flat liner, teams play with zero emotion.

Nice start against Miami, looked like Riley wanted to take nap as usual.

We told you.

Riley is a flat liner, teams play with zero emotion.

Nice start against Miami, looked like Riley wanted to take nap as usual.

Are you an Oregon Stater? I think you guys are probably missing Riley if that is the case because you suck, and it is probably going to get worse. My wife is an Oregon State grad and loved watching the games, and now doesn't watch much because Riley is gone.

Are you an Oregon Stater? I think you guys are probably missing Riley if that is the case because you suck, and it is probably going to get worse. My wife is an Oregon State grad and loved watching the games, and now doesn't watch much because Riley is gone.
Oregon St will continue to Oregon St. They will call for GA head in a few years not realizing they are still arguably the worst football program in the PAC 12. They are lucky they hired Riley or they would be going on 40 plus losing seasons by now.

When Bo was DC used to hear legends about him getting D ready. Milt had the pipeline ready to "get low and be the toughest line" every game. Talking easy he said "do it". TO really got team to play with and edge. I remember them bouncing off the tunnel walls when we played A&M after the miracle in Missouri. In the Fiesta NU knocked out the Gators with early viciousness. I just don't see so far that Banker, Cav, and Riley have this special ability. McBride knew how to get a defense pumped - love each other, do it for the greatest coach of all time. What do people know about this staffs history? (Maybe they need to assign a Grant Wistrom to do the job.:))
McBride was horrendous for getting us ready over a lot of years. Today he would be gone quickly but he had Osbornes patience in his corner. Charlie learned but man he was bad for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT