ADVERTISEMENT

Any Dark Tower junkies on here

Love Stephen King - I just finished his latest book, "Fairy Tale" - very very solid book, definitley more in the fantasy genre like the Dark Tower series and less like the conventional horror/psychological stores like The Shining or Revival. I'd recommend it, fairly short read, definitely not an epic like The Stand.

Reactions: king_kong_
Love Stephen King - I just finished his latest book, "Fairy Tale" - very very solid book, definitley more in the fantasy genre like the Dark Tower series and less like the conventional horror/psychological stores like The Shining or Revival. I'd recommend it, fairly short read, definitely not an epic like The Stand.
Dudes, I am a King Junkie. Trying to get through his catalog. I just finished up with Bag of Bones which I really enjoyed. I read Fairytale before that and really liked it, although forgot it was King several times. Am about to start The Shining, but am not super excited about it since I basically know what happens.

I think my favorite so far has been the Stand, but I really enjoy all his stuff.

Ive got the Eyes of the Dragon in my queue, but again, for whatever reason it doesnt really excite me. Would you recommend Dark Tower series over Eyes of the Dragon?

Am about to start The Shining, but am not super excited about it since I basically know what happens.
Be excited! Honestly one of my favorites, the movie adaption is decent but the book has so much more depth, as is expected. I don't think that seeing the movie before reading the book (same boat for me) took away any kind of enjoyment from reading the novel, both stand up well on their own merit. A classic, must read for any Stephen King fan.

I think my favorite so far has been the Stand, but I really enjoy all his stuff.
I’ve been a huge fan of Stephen King for many years and read the The Stand in the 90’s. Because I am a fan my parents bought me The Stand Uncut in hard cover as a gift and it sat on my bookshelf for years. I finally pulled it off the shelf earlier this year and reread it and it was as good as ever, even with an additional 500 pages of material.

Dudes, I am a King Junkie. Trying to get through his catalog. I just finished up with Bag of Bones which I really enjoyed. I read Fairytale before that and really liked it, although forgot it was King several times. Am about to start The Shining, but am not super excited about it since I basically know what happens.

Ive got the Eyes of the Dragon in my queue, but again, for whatever reason it doesnt really excite me. Would you recommend Dark Tower series over Eyes of the Dragon?
Read Eyes first. Its a quick read and a good story……and you may see someone on the road to the Tower.

Reactions: nostromo78
Love hearing everyone's perspectives, reading his entire bibiliography has brought me a lot of joy throughout the years. So so many good stories, I can't even begin to describe how much I have enjoyed his work.

I've honestly thought of investing money in collecting rare/out of print editions of SK's books. The way traditional stock market investments have gone over the past few years, I've really thought about non-traditional ways to invest some of my money for diversification. Collectible of many shapes and types has always held some interest for me, I have some pretty rare football and baseball cards - I know there is a pretty decent market for rare and special edition books, what better way to build a collection than starting with my favorite author.

Reactions: nostromo78
I’ve been a huge fan of Stephen King for many years and read the The Stand in the 90’s. Because I am a fan my parents bought me The Stand Uncut in hard cover as a gift and it sat on my bookshelf for years. I finally pulled it off the shelf earlier this year and reread it and it was as good as ever, even with an additional 500 pages of material.
I found the book exponentially better. Stop when he tells you though. I enjoyed The Stand and another that surprised me in how much I liked it was Insomnia.

Reactions: Dylman
I found the book exponentially better. Stop when he tells you though. I enjoyed The Stand and another that surprised me in how much I liked it was Insomnia.

Insomnia is one of my favorites, I’ve read it a few times. Could pick it up again and would probably still enjoy it as much as before. Loved Bag of Bones, IT, Dead Zone, and The Green Mile. I really liked The Talisman and Black House which Stephen collaborated with Peter Straub on and was supposed to be a trilogy. Sadly it probably won’t be completed, Peter passed away on September 4th of this year.

I love King and have read most of his titles multiple times, have to admit that the Dark Tower series for me was not among my favorites. 11/22/63 is one of my all time favorite books period. Even with the ending that is a little weird. Same with “Under the Dome,” great book, weird ending. So many good books!

Reactions: Chief Wiggum

Eyes of the dragon goes fast and is awesome

Reactions: Chief Wiggum
How does one start this series? Also, I used to really enjoy reading books... however, admittedly, UNL turned me off of it. Would this series fix that? TYIA!

How does one start this series? Also, I used to really enjoy reading books... however, admittedly, UNL turned me off of it. Would this series fix that? TYIA!
Make sure you have a lot of time first. If you go the Audible route Muller does an outstanding job "telling" the story. It is quite the journey if you decide to strap in! Well worth it.

Most film adaptations are worse than the books they are based on, especially Stephen King adaptations.
I want to watch it but Roland is definitely not black. I love Idris Elba but there is no way to follow the movie up with O'Detta being black and having distain early in the series.

What if I opt physical text?
That’s how I did it. Still, you’re going to need a lot of time to get through the 4,250 pages.

I don’t read a lot of SK so I’m sure some of the characters being from other stories went over my head but I knew enough to catch a good bit. I don’t think you need to have a deep knowledge of SK to enjoy the books. I did… a lot…except for the end that is.

I started the series a few months ago. I’m just finishing up wizard and glass. I’m totally hooked. I’m going to make a detour and read some of the extended dark tower books before starting wind through the key hole or wolves. Salems lot is next, the stand, the mist, talisman, insomnia, hearts in Atlantis and maybe a few more.

Reactions: finish2k10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT