Anti-Maskers Are More Scientifically Rigorous

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
Your mom's house

MIT Researchers Admit Anti-Maskers Are More Scientifically Rigorous​

"At the same time the academics admit, almost in a puzzled fashion, that these “anti-maskers” do their investigations in a very scientific manner. “Indeed,” the paper claims, “anti-maskers often reveal themselves to be more sophisticated in their understanding of how scientific knowledge is socially constructed than their ideological adversaries, who espouse naive realism about the ‘objective’ truth of public health data.”

The MIT academics go on to admit that those opposed to masks are not afraid to get down and dirty in looking at statistics, nor are they afraid to increasingly question the media and government authorities, a trait MIT researchers call “a weaponization of critical thinking.” Even more surprising is the revelation that anti-maskers’ “approach to the pandemic is grounded in a more scientific rigor, not less.”"

PS - can't wait till libs and RINOs get a hold of this one....lol...

Reactions: IM4NUalways

Jaemekon

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
640f02965a10988391e1ee4d4ec9090d.gif

• Haha
Reactions: JOHNNY N

laonda10

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2009
Omaha

MIT Researchers Admit Anti-Maskers Are More Scientifically Rigorous​

"At the same time the academics admit, almost in a puzzled fashion, that these “anti-maskers” do their investigations in a very scientific manner. “Indeed,” the paper claims, “anti-maskers often reveal themselves to be more sophisticated in their understanding of how scientific knowledge is socially constructed than their ideological adversaries, who espouse naive realism about the ‘objective’ truth of public health data.”

The MIT academics go on to admit that those opposed to masks are not afraid to get down and dirty in looking at statistics, nor are they afraid to increasingly question the media and government authorities, a trait MIT researchers call “a weaponization of critical thinking.” Even more surprising is the revelation that anti-maskers’ “approach to the pandemic is grounded in a more scientific rigor, not less.”"

PS - can't wait till libs and RINOs get a hold of this one....lol...

gif-kermityping.gif

Must own the libs! Must own the libs! Must own the LIIIIIBBBBSSSSS!!!!!

ScarletNCream

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2007
I mean it makes sense, skepticism is critical in the scientific process and anti-maskers have chosen to be skeptical of everything that doesn’t come out of the mouth of the orange idiot. I get it

Pro-maskers took more of an approach of “I want to be part of the solution, not the problem and a piece of cloth really isn’t a big deal” which doesn’t align with the scientific process.

You sure got’em good this time Oldschool

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
Your mom's house
I mean it makes sense, skepticism is critical in the scientific process and anti-maskers have chosen to be skeptical of everything that doesn’t come out of the mouth of the orange idiot. I get it

Pro-maskers took more of an approach of “I want to be part of the solution, not the problem and a piece of cloth really isn’t a big deal” which doesn’t align with the scientific process.

You sure got’em good this time Oldschool
Science denier.

scopeandtime

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
I have no doubt the dumb and ignorant work rigorously at reinforcing their stupidity. That's actually a bad thing!

Reactions: nelsonj22

Hardlyboy

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2011
It’s pretty funny how your right wing think tank website takes a couple snippets out of context and completely changes the argument of the study. The study is all about the role of disinformation of the anti masker movement. I particularly liked this paragraph from the actual study -

“The attempted coup on January 6, 2021 has similarly illustrated that well-calibrated, wellfunded systems of coordinated disinformation can be particularly dangerous when they are designed to appeal to skeptical people. While individual insurrectionists are no doubt to blame for their own acts of violence, the coup relied on a collective effort fanned by people questioning, interacting, and sharing these ideas with other people. These skeptical narratives are powerful because they resonate with these these people’s lived experience and—crucially— because they are posted by influential accounts across influential platforms.”

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
Here is the actual study, which is intriguing (although I only had a quick read of it). Although it does say what the OP says, it also talks about the cherry picking of specific data sets that may not be completely reflective of the body of work, using personal experience as scientific evidence for what is going on everywhere, and then a bunch of excuses of why the data doesn't show what they want to show.

Science and data aren't black and white, which allows for different interpretations. It is pretty easy to have early into a study a data set that shows one thing, but then another study that is looking at the same problem, but a different way (either different experiments or data analysis) and get a completely different conclusion. Which is why you typically rely on multiple data sets from multiple people before you make a conclusion. For example, HCQ. You had a couple of studies early on (which lacked controls) that showed the HCQ worked. However, after additional controlled, and larger studies were performed, the impact of HCQ was shown to be much lower or nonexistent in the majority of the studies. It doesn't mean that there are studies that show that it works. Same can be applied for mask studies, or pretty much any thing else in science.

But this aspect is used against science, along with just a general distrust in science. As a scientist, I can't say that I don't blame people for not trusting science. There have been some really shvtty studies done even in this country by scientists (although many regulations have resulted from these for the better). Most people associate science with Pharmaceutical companies who they believe only goal is to make money at all costs, without understanding that the majority of people doing the research at these companies are not these "big wigs" looking to get a lot of money. Most are just normal people doing research. Additionally, a lot of basic science done in this country is by academic institutions and by people that have little to no association with pharmaceutical companies (like myself).

But even with that, it doesn't matter because we lock up the data behind a pay wall, which is really stupid considering that the majority of science is done using tax payers money, and you as the scientist have to pay to publish. But even if you get access to it, scientific writing is so far up its own a$$ that no one can understand it. A lot of the problems we see in this pandemic have been created by scientists and the way that we allow science to be portrayed in this country. I hope that the scientific community can learn from this and stop being such an insulated community and learn that we need to be part of the larger community. For me personally, my university actually just got a decent chunk of a CDC grant, which my part is focused on actually getting out into the rural communities to try and interact with people.

steinek11

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2014
You fvcking know they didn’t read the study. Just the op Ed

I loved this in the conclusions

“Understanding how these groups skillfully manipulate dad to undermine main stream signs requires us to adjust the theoretical assumptions and HCI research about how data can be leverage in public discourse”

Fvcking idiot @Oldschool1964 Your dumb ass tries to lip shit and fall smack on your face.

Reactions: stevehammer

Bobfather

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2002
It’s pretty funny how your right wing think tank website takes a couple snippets out of context and completely changes the argument of the study. The study is all about the role of disinformation of the anti masker movement. I particularly liked this paragraph from the actual study -

“The attempted coup on January 6, 2021 has similarly illustrated that well-calibrated, wellfunded systems of coordinated disinformation can be particularly dangerous when they are designed to appeal to skeptical people. While individual insurrectionists are no doubt to blame for their own acts of violence, the coup relied on a collective effort fanned by people questioning, interacting, and sharing these ideas with other people. These skeptical narratives are powerful because they resonate with these these people’s lived experience and—crucially— because they are posted by influential accounts across influential platforms.”
Again the only attempted coup happened from 2017-2020 when the demoRats tried their impeachment hoaxes!

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
Your mom's house
You fvcking know they didn’t read the study. Just the op Ed

I loved this in the conclusions

“Understanding how these groups skillfully manipulate dad to undermine main stream signs requires us to adjust the theoretical assumptions and HCI research about how data can be leverage in public discourse”

Fvcking idiot @Oldschool1964 Your dumb ass tries to lip shit and fall smack on your face.
Can I get a translator in here please?

nelsonj22

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
I find it funny you thought masks were helping.
they do stop/contain asymptomatic droplets, sorry you fvcking idiots keep pimping "but duh don't work to protect the wearer"

Last edited:

Jaemekon

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
I see a few people wearing masks from time to time. But I would say for the most part, masks are in the past.

Redblooded

Athletic Director
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I have not wore a mask for a while. I did in couple of times in certain places in Omaha where I was not sure when I was up there a month ago the requirements. But most places I have not for a while wore a mask.

philosophusker

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Jonesboro, Arkansas (York, NE originally)
Virus is smaller than masks filters. Masks didn't help.
Droplets that carry the virus are larger than mask filters though my scientifically challenged little friend so you are wrong. I will take the scientific opinion of the medical community over yours any day.

You want masks to not work because you have a political agenda. You probably don't believe global warming is real either. Let me guess, anti vaxxer? Is the earth flat too? Try getting your information on how masks work from scientific studies instead of Fox News.

Last edited:

williamsonframe

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2016
Nebraska
Droplets that carry the virus are larger than mask filters though my scientifically challenged little friend so you are wrong. I will take the scientific opinion of the medical community over yours any day.

You want masks to not work because you have a political agenda. You probably don't believe global warming is real either. Let me guess, anti vaxxer? Is the earth flat too? Try getting your information on how masks work from scientific studies instead of Fox News.

No point to argue about masks anymore. The vaccine is working. Get the vaccine and don't worry about other people wearing masks. That's the way I went. It was just sad that it took a couple months that Fauci insisted that you still wear a mask after being vaccinated. That's why people don't believe in masks. They were just propaganda the whole time.

Reactions: philosophusker

philosophusker

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Jonesboro, Arkansas (York, NE originally)
No point to argue about masks anymore. The vaccine is working. Get the vaccine and don't worry about other people wearing masks. That's the way I went. It was just sad that it took a couple months that Fauci insisted that you still wear a mask after being vaccinated. That's why people don't believe in masks. They were just propaganda the whole time.
I agree we don't need to argue about it. I just think Fauci knew there weren't enough masks to go around so he wanted the front line people to have them until masks were more readily available. He never should have said they don't work though that was not true. Had to have been a better way to handle that

Trump did the same thing trying to not cause panic when he said the virus would go away on its own in a few days and cases would go to zero. It was all about containing panic.

JOHNNY N

Athletic Director
Sep 24, 2003

Lofl. Look at the dates of those articles. Go back to watching CNN.

Reactions: lipem

JOHNNY N

Athletic Director
Sep 24, 2003
Translation: "You were hoodwinked by the right wing garbage website link that you shared, which cherry picked bits and pieces of the MIT study in a way that came up with a conclusion different than the actual study they were quoting."
^^^wears a mask in his car by himself.

• Haha
Reactions: lipem and Bobfather

stevehammer

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2001
^^^wears a mask in his car by himself.
Nah, that's retarded. There are idiots out there wearing masks when they don't need to (when alone in their car, when outside, especially walking down the street by themselves... I laugh at that ignorant shit), but wearing masks in crowded indoor environments is not dumb.

The idea that wearing masks doesn't limit spread of respiratory diseases is pretty dumb, though. I haven't been sick in 15 months... Same for most eveyrone I know.

The science behind it is pretty darn simplistic, too. If my sneezes and coughs are not getting out into the air, then I can't infect someone with whatever I have. It's a pretty simple concept. And it's been bourn out in practice. I have clients that had massive outbreaks of Covid before they got everyone masked up and then operated for over a year with no more outbreaks after they took some simple precautions like wearing masks and improving ventilation in breakrooms and bathrooms.

Redblooded

Athletic Director
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
We wore mask in my job and I was around 70+ people a day. Hell our sickness was way down from the flu, everything until we took the mask off this spring. Then the sickness kicked in. You still see some mask around mostly from out of state people. Nobody in our town wears mask. We are back to normal and have been since February. They were a pain, but they were effective.