ADVERTISEMENT

Another year another crappy defense

Bootle got burned in man coverage.... not sure we have the speed to do that. Overall really happy with the performance. Line looks improved, speed on D is still questionable.

Reactions: Red I 73
They forced one punt and held another drive out of the end zone against a top 5 team. Frustrating not to be at elite level, sure. But they started at the very bottom of the sewer.

Reactions: WHCSC
If you cant see insane improvement you aren't watching the same game or you aren't aware of how good Ohio State is. Not to mention all the 4th downs they've had to convert. We still need to improve but man I'm optimistic for the other games we are playing
This not even close to a competitive defense. I realize we have all been conditioned to really bad defense. This defense is the same until the defensive coaching improves our defense will not be any better

Oh well always next year

D does seem a little better.....Miller's pursuit effort on Fields scramble TD was cringeworthy....#8 doesn't have speed. We are doing pretty good with what we have, but yeah, we just need more talent.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Well it's OSU... And Fields is apparently a wizard against a cushiony zone defense. I hope we at least give lining up in man a chance!
There's nothing wrong with running a zone defense. It's constantly playing off the outside that makes it easy for them. When we do go man we get beat on the inside.

The Offense has been very sloppy too! Poor Clock Management and Too Many Penalties in the First Half (Two of the penalties were questionable though)!

I agree...The biggest Defensive problems have been lack of pass rush and the secondary playing way too soft!

Reactions: baseball31ne
D does seem a little better.....Miller's pursuit effort on Fields scramble TD was cringeworthy....#8 doesn't have speed. We are doing pretty good with what we have, but yeah, we just need more talent.
#8 has plenty of speed. He always tries to go for the big hit. Disappointed in his play today.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
We'll see what happens against Wisconsin. If Mertz looks like a Heisman Trophy candidate, well that would be a huge problem.

Reactions: ssmill777
Line looks improved? No pass rush whatsoever.
They've been holding up against the run and this is one of the best offensive lines in the country, so it's tough to get a pass rush. Even with losing a couple NFL D-linemen, I see a lot of improvement on the D-line.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Want to know what is wrong with this program and what has been wrong with this program for many years?
We have not had good defensive coaching in over 10 years. We will suck until this changes
Just think, our def starts 7 Sr and 4 JR. 🙄.
and we just played a team that’s full of FR and Soph. It won’t change as OSU is just that superior. I think we beat Wisc. With how old our team is this is what we have to expect once or twice a decade. Keep it close and pray. For lightning in a bottle and only lose 2 or 3 games.

What did you expect from our defense against this offense today?

The Buckeyes offense is pretty good, but honestly I didn't think they were the best thing ever. I will bet anyone that they don't run the table (just checked their schedule. I take back that bet. Boy! did the Big Ten give them an easy schedule. If they get by Penn State they have nobody unless Mr. Khaki Pants team can give them a game. I doubt Michigan will.)

Just think, our def starts 7 Sr and 4 JR. 🙄.
and we just played a team that’s full of FR and Soph. It won’t change as OSU is just that superior. I think we beat Wisc. With how old our team is this is what we have to expect once or twice a decade. Keep it close and pray. For lightning in a bottle and only lose 2 or 3 games.
I agree. With how experienced our defense is, we shouldn't be seeing the kind of busted coverages and other busted plays.

Want to know what is wrong with this program and what has been wrong with this program for many years?
We have not had good defensive coaching in over 10 years. We will suck until this changes
Why don't we ever have great defensive ends any more? If not for the coverage against the great OSU receivers Fields could do whatever he wanted. The pass rush was nonexistent.

ADVERTISEMENT