ADVERTISEMENT

Another Word from Pelini

ihuskcorn

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Pretty good article that quotes Pelini on his time at Nebraska. Neither good or bad, but calls Bo out a couple times. Sorry, link didn't work so I copied and pasted.

i
Former Nebraska coach Bo Pelini recently talked about his disappointment over a leaked audio recording of him while at the school.AP Photo/Nati Harnik

My only surprise in reading Ralph Russo's Associated Press report on visiting Pelini at Youngstown State is that it didn't include more bitterness toward the coach's former employer.

He took just one shot at Nebraska, in fact, involving the secretly recorded audio of the coach's farewell to his players less than a week after he was fired. In it, Pelini blasted the Nebraska administration.

The talk, presumably taped by a player, was then leaked to the media.

"I think it's sad that it came out," Pelini told Russo of the recording. "That's what wrong with that place."

What's actually sad is that Pelini, 47, felt compelled to voice those thoughts on a December night in a high school gym to an impressionable group of football players, most of whom remain in school at the university.

Pelini's latest comments were relatively tame, yet he offered a look into his new world as an FCS coach back in his hometown.

I believe Pelini when he says he's not driven by ego and he doesn't worry about the size of the crowds or media exposure. In comparison to most who have sat in a chair like his at Nebraska, Pelini appears legitimately grounded and comfortable in his skin.

He never got comfortable, though, amid the culture of intense scrutiny at Nebraska. He saw the noise around the program as a nuisance.

"Nebraska, I thought, was very unique in that way in that there's a lot of things that kind of went with it that were beyond the football," Pelini said in the AP story. "It's just part of the deal."

It's part of the deal at Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State, too, Oklahoma and LSU -- at both of which Pelini worked as defensive coordinator -- Florida State, Alabama and a few others.

And here's what matters for Nebraska as it moves forward: new coach Mike Riley understands that all of the attention is not just part of the deal in Lincoln but essential to the historical success of the program. Riley, the Pac-12 veteran who played under Bear Bryant at Alabama, knows he is not alone, that other coaches operate in similar conditions.

At times, Pelini seemed convinced his situation rated worse than the majority of others in his line of work, when, no doubt, just the opposite was true.

Riley may not win as often as Pelini, which ultimately means more than everything else. But the new coach at Nebraska starts with a lead on his predecessor simply because he recognizes the big picture...

Back at Nebraska this week, the Huskers returned to practice after nine days away for spring break. Here's a look around camp:

Steve Sipple tackles the issue of Mick Stoltenberg. They've got the tools Hughes seeks. While Nebraska can't afford a rash of injuries up front on defense, several inexperienced Huskers may develop quickly under the new staff.

In the most entertaining development of the first practice back, defensive coordinator Mark Banker unveiled his nickname for Akinmoladun: Freedom Fighter. Hope it sticks.
This post was edited on 4/2 3:58 PM by ihuskcorn

https://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/117428/another-word-on-nebraska-from-bo-pelini

The only reason the article didn't have more bitterness was the reporter didn't ask questions to bring it out (which is OK by me). He was asked about expectations and said different places have different dynamics and Nebraska was "unique" that the scrutiny went beyond football. That statement was either naïve or a subtle jab. He was asked about the leaked recording and indicated it was Nebraska's problem, not his. He was asked what went wrong and told the reporter to figure it out, it wasn't hard. Those statements sound bitter to me.

ADVERTISEMENT