ADVERTISEMENT

Another top QB picks TN

Metalfan

Offensive Coordinator
Nov 1, 2004
Nashville, TN
I know people are going to flash dollar signs, etc and say its a SEC team, but what do these coaches tell these kids? TN took 3 4* QBs last year.

Originally posted by maplesyrup95:
I wonder if Stanton will stay, and if Broekmeier will remain at QB.
Broekmeier isn't on scholarship and so far it seems that Stanton is staying. I keep hearing that Riley will want to take 2 QBs every year and IMO the only way he does that is if at least one of them is a walk on. Maybe the "we want to have a set top 3 QBs after spring" is code for "if you ain't in the top 3 you need to pack your bags". It seemed to me that Fyfe was #4 and I don't think he would leave no matter what. Stanton would seem likely to look else where but if he doesn't have any other takers he may choose to keep his scholarship and work on his degree. IF in fact Delany is serious about the irrevocable scholarship that makes things tough. Our scholarship/position management by "that other guy" was not good. Less than half the linebackers we need on scholarship and at the very least one more QB on scholarship than is logical.

Someone needs to explain to me how an Elite 11 QB can't make our top 3 QBs. It ain't because everyone else is that good. It seems like QBs get to NU and forget how to throw.

His accuracy on the longer throws is bad right now. Maybe over a year of not having a real QB coach wasn't a good thing. Benning has pointed out some mechanics issues that he has right now that if fixed could help.

Originally posted by The_Glove_Man:

Someone needs to explain to me how an Elite 11 QB can't make our top 3 QBs. It ain't because everyone else is that good. It seems like QBs get to NU and forget how to throw.
There was no QB coaching before, he lost most of his passing skills when Bo and Beck got a hold on him. What you don't use you lose. Stanton could still get it back and then some, but in just 3 and 1/2 months isn't likely. He probably developed really bad habits last 2 years.

The kid didn't "lose his passing skills." He doesn't have his priorities in order. He would rather dress up in a horse head at basketball games and party than be Power 5 QB. The kid isn't doing anything wrong. He's a great student, and is loving the college life. But he's moving down the depth chart because football isn't really at the top of his priority list.

It's very obvious that guys like Darlington, Bush, Tommy, Ryker, and even Broekmeier all have a different sense of urgency and intensity out on the field.

Stanton can make every throw. He's also a great athlete, but his attention to detail and dedication isn't where it needs to be. That's on him.

Now.... Perhaps the last coaching staff turned him off from football... Who knows.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
The kid didn't "lose his passing skills." He doesn't have his priorities in order. He would rather dress up in a horse head at basketball games and party than be Power 5 QB. The kid isn't doing anything wrong. He's a great student, and is loving the college life. But he's moving down the depth chart because football isn't really at the top of his priority list.

It's very obvious that guys like Darlington, Bush, Tommy, Ryker, and even Broekmeier all have a different sense of urgency and intensity out on the field.

Stanton can make every throw. He's also a great athlete, but his attention to detail and dedication isn't where it needs to be. That's on him.

Now.... Perhaps the last coaching staff turned him off from football... Who knows.
The funny thing is that he seemed to have a good handle on things as far as the knowledge part in the spring scrimmage. I don't care if he dresses up in a pink tutu and heels for basketball games as long as he knows his job. The obvious thing to everybody was that he couldn't complete passes to wide open receivers in at least his first couple of series. He clearly looked like he couldn't "make the throws". He did look better as he played more. Everybody cut Bush slack for being nervous early and then getting better. Why not Stanton? He has plenty of time to turn things around but the accuracy thing is concerning. You obviously have some contact with the team and I appreciate your insight but as long as Stanton is paying attention in meetings and practice, I don't have a problem with him having fun off the field. He's a 20 or so college student. I expect him to do some silly things and have some fun.

Not sure on the elite 11 as an indicator of his QB ability. Trent Dilfer annointed him as one of the top from the mental side, but I don't remember him receiving great reviews as a passer. Disappointing to hear that the mental side has been what has been holding him back. If I remember correctly, he was injured his senior year and missed some games. It seems the former staff liked to take a flyer on QB that had injuries their senior year.

Originally posted by Red I 73:
Not sure on the elite 11 as an indicator of his QB ability. Trent Dilfer annointed him as one of the top from the mental side, but I don't remember him receiving great reviews as a passer. Disappointing to hear that the mental side has been what has been holding him back. If I remember correctly, he was injured his senior year and missed some games. It seems the former staff liked to take a flyer on QB that had injuries their senior year.
I haven't heard that its mental from media types that have watched practice. They have consistently questioned his accuracy. Now maybe he's inaccurate because he's not sure where the receiver is going but he had wide open guys that he just flat out overthrew or missed in the spring game.

Cornicater, have no idea what Johnny's level of dedication is. Just because he goes to a basketball game with a horse head on makes him less dedicated to football? Cmon, I'm not saying I know hes the hardest worker we have because I don't know, but I do know that I have personally seen our current first string QB at a handfull of parties. Not saying that's a bad thing either, just saying that you shouldn't call johnny a slacker because not a lot of people outside the team know what his priorities are.

Originally posted by Cornicator:

Stanton can make every throw. .
You sure about this? Guys who can make every throw don't normally fall down the depth chart and get passed by guys who can't make all the throws.

Originally posted by Red I 73:
+1 elite 11 means nothing. that just means you can check the ball down. half of the elite 11 guys never do anything in college

Originally posted by WestCoastCornhusker:

Originally posted by The_Glove_Man:

There was no QB coaching before, he lost most of his passing skills when Bo and Beck got a hold on him. What you don't use you lose. Stanton could still get it back and then some, but in just 3 and 1/2 months isn't likely. He probably developed really bad habits last 2 years.
It's weird that Stanton "lost most of his passing skills" because Bo and Beck got ahold him while Darlington seems to be just fine.

I only know of 2 guys Nebraska has gotten from the Elite 11... so far both are flops

According to Wikipedia we had a 3rd attend NU Brian Hildebrand... Don't remember him at all can anyone let me know who this guy is?

Originally posted by HuskerFan124:
Cornicater, have no idea what Johnny's level of dedication is. Just because he goes to a basketball game with a horse head on makes him less dedicated to football? Cmon, I'm not saying I know hes the hardest worker we have because I don't know, but I do know that I have personally seen our current first string QB at a handfull of parties. Not saying that's a bad thing either, just saying that you shouldn't call johnny a slacker because not a lot of people outside the team know what his priorities are.
Not Cornicator, but I read that as just an example of things he would rather be doing than football. Not that it's a bad thing on its own. Just about every football player has fun at parties and stuff, that's no big deal, but IF Stanton puts the fun stuff ahead of football, that's when it affects his play.

Hildebrand was a transfer almost a decade ago. Was behind Zac Taylor, Joe Ganz, and Beau Davis.

http://m.journalstar.com/sports/football/college/qb-hildebrand-says-he-s-left-team/article_678ef79a-41d0-54d8-a081-ff82b57cc317.html?mobile_touch=true
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT