ADVERTISEMENT

Another new OLB late target 2021 Davon Townley

If the kid is a stud and has a four star rating, my question would be why is he still available? We've not done real well with these kids we get in on late.
more than likely academics. It's possible that he's raised a test score or completed course work this past semester that makes it appear more likely that he will qualify. It isn't all that uncommon. I actually think we've done pretty well with kids like that at times.

It's also true that there were a lot of kids who didn't want to sign early for one reason or another.

Reactions: nwualum
"Due to Covid-19, I wish I had more opportunity to experience more colleges," he said. "Right now, I will push my decision back to February. It will give me a little more room to experience more colleges. I want to feel out everyone to make a better decision for my future. This is a decision I want to make with a clear head that's a clear choice."

IIRC Schaefer said on the radio today that Penn St. and Nebraska were the two he was leaning towards.

"Due to Covid-19, I wish I had more opportunity to experience more colleges," he said. "Right now, I will push my decision back to February. It will give me a little more room to experience more colleges. I want to feel out everyone to make a better decision for my future. This is a decision I want to make with a clear head that's a clear choice."

IIRC Schaefer said on the radio today that Penn St. and Nebraska were the two he was leaning towards.

He can have playing time immediately, most likely start too.

"I wish I had more opportunity to experience more colleges"

If this is an actual direct quote then I think it's safe to assume he's still available because of academic issues...

Reactions: CatColumbia
The kid is raw in terms of his ability. He only played football 2 years. He was a 5.6 3 star to get bumped to a 5.8 4 star with no camps is impressive.

Feel like the majorly of 4 stars we get are raw and are projects. I guess that’s what happens with 4 consecutive losing seasons. We’re left with the ones the big boys don’t want. Would be nice to get more Wandales, Benharts, etc.

Have you seen his film? Seems a bit of a stretch to already proclaim him a starter.

Yes I did, he has faster quickness and explosiveness off the line than anyone we had playing boundary OLB. Payned has some quickness too but was new to the program and to the position.

Reactions: Reditus
Yes I did, he has faster quickness and explosiveness off the line than anyone we had playing boundary OLB. Payned has some quickness too but was new to the program and to the position.

Looks like a boundary OLB. He does look fairly quick and has a nice frame. I think Cooper and Butler would be comparable players somewhat.

Nelson, Payne and Gunnerson are more of the elephant OLB or 4-3 RE types.

Not sure how to categorize Tannor, Alston, Jackson. Tweener's I guess.

Domann, Henrich, Wright and Kpai are definitely field OLB's. (Kpai might be put at safety or ILB and Henrich can do ILB or field OLB)

Wouldn't be surprised to see some attrition with Alston?

Last edited:
Reactions: HominidHusker
It seems to me like 4 star means nothing when it comes to starting/contributing immediately. How many 4-stars have disappeared or left. I'd like to see the analysis of 4-star vs. 3-star contributors.

Looks like a boundary OLB. He does look fairly quick and has a nice frame. I think Cooper and Butler would be comparable players somewhat.

Nelson, Payne and Gunnerson are more of the elephant OLB or 4-3 RE types.

Not sure how to categorize Tannor, Alston, Jackson. Tweener's I guess.

Domann, Henrich, Wright and Kpai are definitely field OLB's. (Kpai might be put at safety or ILB and Henrich can do ILB or field OLB)

Wouldn't be surprised to see some attrition with Alston?

I was thinking he reminds me of Butler a lot too. It seems like our OLB's fall into 3 categories right now.

Base:
Nelson
Payne
Gunnerson

Field/Hybrid:
Dooman
Wright
(Bretz would be great here, but we don't have much depth at safety)

Field/Pass Rusher:
Tannor
Butler
Cooper

We haven't got anything out of the pass rushers and I think we would like guys to be a little more versatile. Guys that can cover and rush, hold the edge and rush. Or ideally all three. Not sure we have that yet, outside of maybe JoJo.

Not sure I get this. I believed he was referencing Covid as a reason for not having opportunities. Of course it could be academics, I guess...
I think his comments mean he couldn't visit very many schools due to the virus. I think the number of offers for a 4 star suggest he could have some academic issues which need clarification and him needing to wait until February signing.

I think his comments mean he couldn't visit very many schools due to the virus. I think the number of offers for a 4 star suggest he could have some academic issues which need clarification and him needing to wait until February signing.

@Hardslider21 referenced Davon got bumped from 5.6 to 5.8, so his offer list is quite impressive if he was a late bump to 4* status for a raw talent with not much football experience.

I’m ok taking some projects, but we also need to get to the point as a program (i.e. winning) where we can find more sure bets.

In the mean time, as many darts as we’re able to throw at the pass rushing board, we need to until something sticks.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
@Hardslider21 referenced Davon got bumped from 5.6 to 5.8, so his offer list is quite impressive if he was a late bump to 4* status for a raw talent with not much football experience.

I’m ok taking some projects, but we also need to get to the point as a program (i.e. winning) where we can find more sure bets.

In the mean time, as many darts as we’re able to throw at the pass rushing board, we need to until something sticks.
Projects are fine if you can develop them. Currently our rate of return on developing projects is abysmal.

Reactions: HominidHusker

Translation: "I was hoping this sh## would be over with by January so I could actually go visit the damned campuses and meet in person the coaches I would be playing for". Good idea IMO.

"I wish I had more opportunity to experience more colleges"

If this is an actual direct quote then I think it's safe to assume he's still available because of academic issues...
My take is he wanted to take some trips and actually get to meet the coaches recruiting him in person. I would say that is smart and completely reasonable and maybe didn't have anything to do with academics. We're fortunate we signed the kids we did this cycle with some of them never having set foot on campus. Huge leap of faith for those kids.

My take is he wanted to take some trips and actually get to meet the coaches recruiting him in person. I would say that is smart and completely reasonable and maybe didn't have anything to do with academics. We're fortunate we signed the kids we did this cycle with some of them never having set foot on campus. Huge leap of faith for those kids.
Actually not quite the leap of faith it once might have been . These days you just enter the transfer portal if you don't like where you committed. I predict there will be more recruits than ever doing just that from this new class.

more than likely academics. It's possible that he's raised a test score or completed course work this past semester that makes it appear more likely that he will qualify. It isn't all that uncommon. I actually think we've done pretty well with kids like that at times.

It's also true that there were a lot of kids who didn't want to sign early for one reason or another.
Could very well be true. I don't know. I'm just going by recent history. Our hitting percentage with these four stars who are still on the table is not very good. Academics, character concerns, injuries, etc. One thing is certain, this year with the transfer portal out of control and the extended dead period in recruiting, this is not the year for a kid to "bet on himself" and hold out for better offers because they aren't coming anywhere close to previous years.

Reactions: headcard
Seems like Nebraska is always the destination for prospects with academic issues. We seem to identify them and figure we have the inside track due to academic support.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT