ADVERTISEMENT

An actual football thread

cruelhalo

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 27, 2003
It seems as though the offense has three positions with a lot of talent on paper but not necessarily proven on the field: RB, WR and Oline.

I like all three based on the numbers game. This has to be some of the best depth that these groups have had in a long time.

I don't know which group I would go with because there is a lot or promise.

Which of those three positions will be the biggest surprise or the best or whatever.

Reactions: timnsun
TE, no?
Allen has some credentials, but the rest seem to have a lot of talent.

Nebraska ran 334 times last year and passed 229 times. It is therefore hard to argue Nebraska doesn't "run the ball". However, Martinez accounted for 91 of those rushes, many of them after getting flushed. Robinson rushed 46 times and McCaffrey 65 times. Mills rushed 84 times. The Mills rushes IMHO are more along the line of "running the ball" when we bitch NU needs to run the ball.

Power running takes commitment. The coaches can't wet their pants at the first couple 3 and outs. They have to trust the punt team (yes, that is hard lately) and the defense. If they fall behind on the scoreboard they can't panic and start flinging the ball around in desperation. Osborne used to start games off with the FB trap and ISOs going nowhere until I was damn near in tears. Then as the defense inched up there would be more wide runs and passes off the option until the other team was totally confused. It seems to my non-expert eyes our game plans are not really plans, but a hodge podge of plays rather than aiming toward a body of work. That's why the first quarters are usually pretty good, but when the 20 plays we put in for that game are figured out, we have trouble in the second half.

If the offense is tweaked to use the Oline talent we have been getting and Austin gets them playing mean, I'm thinking Scott or Ervin Jr will emerge and Yant will add firepower when needed. The smart money is on Scott, but I'd put my money on Ervin at longer odds. So to answer your question, after not seeing much from the running backs lately, I think we will be pleasantly surprised by both the playcalling and RB performance.

Reactions: ADV1
enhanced-2862-1477342337-2.png

I guess my hope is the OLine shows up big time. If the OLine shows up, the rest of the positions will look better.
I agree with that logic. Not sure if it needs to be big time. Consistency would work too.

TE, no?
Allen has some credentials, but the rest seem to have a lot of talent.
Because I believe the TE position is in better shape than the rest of the positions on offense. Would like to have one more guy behind Allen and Vokolek but comfortable with those two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT