ADVERTISEMENT

AM quote on culture

The general rule is to praise publicly and criticize privately. I think you have to attach consequences to actions and have consistent follow-through. When bad apples continue to break rules, it's terrible for the culture.

ive taken my lumps in most every way possible.
when its deserved lick your wounds and do better.
when its undeserved, take it and remember, revenge is a dish best served cold...

What is really interesting about the above quote, is it it seems to fly in the face of the super laid back, no consequences stuff certain posters were telling us about last week.

I do think we have an issue and are at a crossroads, between the kinds of kids we can get, the system we want to run and the culture we want to have. We want to run an Oregon type system, with all these electric athletes, but also want an old school hard nose culture. The kind of kids we have been able to get with that athleticism have come with baggage (Mo, Omar, Fleming) and the staff hasn’t been able to make it work with them.

It seems like we would like to recruit the kinds of kids Pelini did, but need a better kind of athlete to make this thing work. So far Wandale is about the only kid they have reeled in with both the attitude and ability they want. Something is going to have to give.

Last edited:
Reactions: BroskiRed
Is there a generation that enjoys being yelled at in public?

I agree. For reference I am 36, but when I played sports in was really 50/50 from the kids I was around and a lot depended on who there parents or grandparents were. Most of my family were in the military can could handle being broken down verbally and I never had a problem with it and had multiple discussions with my dad and my grandpas about how to take it and make myself better. Not all families have that and some family situations it might actually be a bad thing if you are lighting someone up and I don't think the generation matters. I think is is probably the same over hundreds of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: spencerhfd
Hearing his actual quote I heard more of what he thinks his role as a leader is, and yes, I don’t think anyone is cool with their peers yelling at them in public.

Not every player is the same on the team. Some guys respond to being yelled at and some don't respond well to being yelled at and need to be coddled more. It is the coaches job to know their kids and how best to get them to respond. I've always said that if you are going to chew a kid out for doing something wrong, you had better be the first one there when they do something good. You don't have to be their friend, but you do have to get them to respect you.

Not every player is the same on the team. Some guys respond to being yelled at and some don't respond well to being yelled at and need to be coddled more. It is the coaches job to know their kids and how best to get them to respond. I've always said that if you are going to chew a kid out for doing something wrong, you had better be the first one there when they do something good. You don't have to be their friend, but you do have to get them to respect you.

That was the way it was when McBride coached our defense...

He was a great coach knowing when to chew some ass and giving them do respect when they accomplish what he wanted and have him their respect...

Any Coach that is worth a damn knows chewing out players when making mistakes and giving them love and praise knows how to be a Coach. It’s not always easy establish the one that can be chewed out and the one that need coddling..

Frosts quote in his post game showed me he doesnt like having to deal with the kids missing class or being late. When he said that if you were late to class when he played there that Grant and Jason would take care of it and it wouldn't get to TO. Him saying that says 2 things in my opinion. 1) there is zero leadership on this team. 2) he dont want to deal with it, the players should deal with it.

AMs comment is very accurate. Sure nobody likes to be yelled at publicly. Thats a no brainer. We could all probably tell a story of us getting angry when we were yelled at publicly by a boss or parent.

Im interested in seeing or hearing of some tough love examples out of Nebraska football recently.

Reactions: scarletred
If you gotta talk about culture you don’t have a culture. Worries me a lot with Frost.

I dunno about that. Football is a game of passion and being adverse to being yelled at when you screw up, seems kind of weak imo. I would think it would be hard to remain monotone, when your players continually **** up. Or maybe it's coaching, his quote doesn't provide hope.

It appears to me that kids don't want to be critized in public but at the same time they aren't willing to wait 2-3 years for their turn to play.
I've been coaching high school football for 26 years. Back when I first started you would have kids fight tooth and nail as freshmen and sophomores in order to get onto the field as juniors and seniors. Now if they aren't starting by the time they're sophomores some of them quit.

I dunno about that. Football is a game of passion and being adverse to being yelled at when you screw up, seems kind of weak imo. I would think it would be hard to remain monotone, when your players continually **** up. Or maybe it's coaching, his quote doesn't provide hope.
What im saying is good cultures you don’t talk about. You just do it. Bad cultures you gotta talk about culture.

I've been coaching high school football for 26 years. Back when I first started you would have kids fight tooth and nail as freshmen and sophomores in order to get onto the field as juniors and seniors. Now if they aren't starting by the time they're sophomores some of them quit.
Also seems like a lot more freshman and sophomores play than used to. You'd know more than me. And with youth sports they're probably way more prepared to play. But it definitely doesn't teach kids how to fight for something when everyone is telling them how great they are from the time they're 8.

Also seems like a lot more freshman and sophomores play than used to. You'd know more than me. And with youth sports they're probably way more prepared to play. But it definitely doesn't teach kids how to fight for something when everyone is telling them how great they are from the time they're 8.
A lot of that depends on the program and the school. In some years we've had to play more younger kids than we wanted to because we didn't have a lot of upper classmen. Several years ago I coached a kid that I was honestly afraid was going to get hurt just going through drills. He worked his butt off in practice and in the weight room. Saw a little varsity action his junior year on special teams. His senior season he started at center and defensive end. He had a tremendous senior season. There's not a lot of kids like him anymore. If they aren't playing a lot by their sophomore year they quit.

A lot of that depends on the program and the school. In some years we've had to play more younger kids than we wanted to because we didn't have a lot of upper classmen. Several years ago I coached a kid that I was honestly afraid was going to get hurt just going through drills. He worked his butt off in practice and in the weight room. Saw a little varsity action his junior year on special teams. His senior season he started at center and defensive end. He had a tremendous senior season. There's not a lot of kids like him anymore. If they aren't playing a lot by their sophomore year they quit.

I think that has as much to do with love of the game than it does anything else. I played all the way through high school, I wasn't an awesome player or anything but I liked to play and love football. There are kids that like to play football but don't even like the game of football. So working hard at getting better isn't a motivating factor.

I think you find more of the guys who want to work hard in smaller and/ or older, well established communities, there is a pride in those areas because typically people are from there, and have lived there for generations. When you live in a larger city or a newer less established community, you don't have the pride in community. The school my kids attended, Manvel, was/ is a top high school football program in Texas' 2nd largest division, and had success in the largest division, but regular season games rarely sell out, even with Covid restrictions on attendance. This high school is new, the community is south of Houston but didn't have a high school until 2008. The community went from about 400 people to about 30,000 people virtually overnight. Everyone moved from somewhere else, so no long term pride in community and school, and families move there mid to late junior high, because of the football program. Compare that to Katy high School, where there is a huge amount of community pride. Their athletic teams routinely sell out games and kids grow up in Katy dreaming of of playing for the Tigers. You definitely find more kids that stick around 4 years to play the 1 year at Katy than you do at Manvel.

BS..he walked past Luke in the game after scoring and they both did their best to avoid each other instead of high fiving or something.

Saw it with my own eyes.

Dont care what he says
Yep. I believe I saw what you are talking about too. My initial reaction was, frigid. Definitely not two teammates who obviously were both going to see lots of playing time in the the game and trying to win the game

What im saying is good cultures you don’t talk about. You just do it. Bad cultures you gotta talk about culture.
You're spot on with that post. I will also add that these players more than likely don't care what you did when you played. What they care about is winning and you doing the best job you can to help us win.

Reactions: Cornfield
Does that mean Frost shouldn't line Adrian up in front of the whole team and scream "I WILL get you to see the entire field even if I have to short-dick every cannibal in the Congo"?
RollingLaughI snorted. Thanks for the laugh.

Wait, what? Every single one of your posts calls Ferentz a racist (yes, you're obsessed). Why wouldn't he like the Jim Crows laws? Do you even know what they were, Headcase?
Four days after the game and you are on another teams message board accusing them of being obsessed with you.... Hmmmm

Reactions: vs540husker
Doesn't answer the question, Headcase.
Your reading comprehension is poor, not a surprise. It’s not that he doesn’t like Jim Crow, exactly the opposite. He, like his fellow klan buddies that pushed Jim Crow, want to make their own rules and only follow the rules they like. Now please take your obsessed ass back to the Iowa board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT