ADVERTISEMENT

Am I misreading? (Theres no chance we play).

huskerfan1414

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 25, 2014
I have not had time to look things over. Only bits and pieces that Ive caught. But from what Ive seen, I don’t know how people are giddy. It seems to me the Big ten has done everything in its power to make it near impossible to play.

What I have heard:
-Not starting until the 24th (!) which is too far of a delay, teams who are ready should be playing sooner.
-Any player testing positive is out three weeks mandatory. My goodness, is this true???
-Teams with 5% positive cases cannot play. Whoch means they cant play for three weeks as those kids sit out. For perspective, Oklahoma in the big ten would not have been able to play their first three weeks of the season.

With these parameters, they are obviously hoping to stop play.
I posted long ago I was afraid they would pull the obama “if you like your plan you can keep your plan” but then make keeping your plan super difficult ploy.
looks like they did.
Screw the Big Ten.

Someone please tell me what ive posted above is inaccurate.

Sitting out 3 weeks(which is ridiculous) applies to players who test positive, not the entire team if the positivity rate is 5% or higher. In that case, it says practice and competition would be halted for a minimum of 7 days.

Reactions: Tornadosoul7
This is gonna be tough. We may hit +5% or an opponent might. Could lose games week by week if this is true.

Here's what the CDC says:

I think or know I had COVID-19, and I had symptoms
You can be around others after:
  • 10 days since symptoms first appeared and
  • 24 hours with no fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
  • Other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving*
*Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation

Most people do not require testing to decide when they can be around others; however, if your healthcare provider recommends testing, they will let you know when you can resume being around others based on your test results.

Granted, these are athletes competing at a high level, but 21 days is just weird. I could see 14 maybe for conditioning, etc, but 21?

5% is only 5-6 players for most teams. Our high player roster gives us maybe 7-8

If we're looking at the bright side, everyone has 2 weeks to get their shit together. Which is how long the China virus takes to do its thing. Soooooooo if everyone does this correctly, should honestly be fine. Like I've said from the beginning, depth matters more than anything right now. Could really help the Big Red.

Then watch the big only play 7 games and the other 3 conferences (no pac) vote that you need to play one more than the best big team played in order to make playoffs. Trust me they're pissed the big changed their vote

They said the 21 day period was to ensure no secondary issues such as myocarditis having formed.

They said the 21 day period was to ensure no secondary issues such as myocarditis having formed.
I still find it interesting that we are apparently the only group in sports that is concerned about myocarditis. It's never been mentioned in connection with any of the professional sports leagues or any of the other conferences, but yet it's supposedly supposed to be this major issue. I think they are getting wrongfully spooked about it.

Every Friday morning, The B1G will confirm the teams that are eligible to play. They will be given their Saturday opponent at noon Friday.

This way, NU can, in fact, be scheduled to play Ohio State each week.

I have not had time to look things over. Only bits and pieces that Ive caught. But from what Ive seen, I don’t know how people are giddy. It seems to me the Big ten has done everything in its power to make it near impossible to play.

What I have heard:
-Not starting until the 24th (!) which is too far of a delay, teams who are ready should be playing sooner.
-Any player testing positive is out three weeks mandatory. My goodness, is this true???
-Teams with 5% positive cases cannot play. Whoch means they cant play for three weeks as those kids sit out. For perspective, Oklahoma in the big ten would not have been able to play their first three weeks of the season.

I posted long ago I was afraid they would pull the obama “if you like your plan you can keep your plan” but then make keeping your plan super difficult ploy.
looks like they did.
Screw the Big Ten.

If you’re wrong, will you come back and admit you were wrong?

The stringent health guidelines likely are in part to placate the two Michigan presidents who are both doctors. Probably couldn't have got them to go along with even having a season without those rules.

What I have heard:

looks like they did.
Screw the Big Ten.

I thought the same thing after seeing their protocols. It doesn't appear they are wanting to complete a season. These protocols are going to be nearly impossible for teams to play many if any games. I think that was the goal in creating it. They they can say, well at least we tried.

Sounds like there is a ton of testing that is going to go on so they should catch anything quickly with these kids. I would NOT want to, in any way, attempt to get around the system, that is screaming lawsuit. Set the rules and go by them. Why would not want to find out if someone is positive, you are risking the entire team.

As far as HIPPA and reporting - you only report the total numbers, no names and you are good.

All this does is put greater pressure on monitoring you athletes nearly 24/7.

I personally think it's going to end up okay by the time the testing starts in 2 weeks and throughout the season.

What I have heard:

looks like they did.
Screw the Big Ten.

As somebody who has been in a high risk environment it is certainly very possible to manage large groups of people with very little exposure if people are disciplined and care enough. The kids have to really want to play. If they wear masks during down time, social distance, and isolate from the rest of the student "bodies" it will be fine. The high capacity testing really holds them accountable as the team has been saying all along that being in the north stadium is better for the kids. I do think the situation is policicized only because the NCAA and conference and even coaches rarely care about the kids beyond how much money they can rake in. The pretense of care about health is either revolutionary or political.

are the same standards employed for students attending class? im sure they had some, but is something like rapid testing available to the average student...? probably not. if no ones playing in november, their evident plan will backfire.

Population actually refers to the team as a whole, coaches, staff and the likes.

Questions asked to Nebraska and the Big Ten leaders this morning about the "population positivity rate" that will factor in team's ability to play. It's not the population of the city or university. "It has to do with the team group," chancellor Ronnie Green said.

What I have heard:

looks like they did.
Screw the Big Ten.

I don’t think you are wrong.

Reactions: tpmcg
If you’re wrong, will you come back and admit you were wrong?
I’m not sure what you mean....

Theres only two ways I can be wrong.

1) In what I’ve read about B1G parameters, which I could be, and this is why I asked. It seems it has already been pointed out that there is a technicality regarding team sitting, although my scenario with Oklahoma could easily pan out, as 5% is such a small number. But I digress.

2) If the B1G changes and thus admits it was too strict. This could conceivably happen, and is more likely after the election, but if they were to come out and say that while it still matters then I will admit I was wrong. Or, if it’s proven that 33% of athletes will have heart trouble.

Teams never testing over 5% won’t prove me wrong, it’ll be more of a “lucked out” moment. It wont prove or disprove anything.

The start date is just too far out and it took them to long. Trams who are ready should get to play if they wish, and even you have to admit that 21 days sitting and 5% is crazy stupid.

As somebody who has been in a high risk environment it is certainly very possible to manage large groups of people with very little exposure if people are disciplined and care enough. The kids have to really want to play. If they wear masks during down time, social distance, and isolate from the rest of the student "bodies" it will be fine. The high capacity testing really holds them accountable as the team has been saying all along that being in the north stadium is better for the kids. I do think the situation is policicized only because the NCAA and conference and even coaches rarely care about the kids beyond how much money they can rake in. The pretense of care about health is either revolutionary or political.
This could be painting with a broad brush

ADVERTISEMENT