ADVERTISEMENT

Almost 3 Million People will die in U.S in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinois Husker

Gold Member
Oct 28, 2002
In 2017 2,813,503 people died in the U.S. Leading causes. Heart disease 647,457, Cancer 599,108, Accidents 169,936, Respiratory disease 160,201, Stroke 146,383, Alzheimer’s 121,404, Diabetes 83,564, Flu and pneumonia 55,672, Nerve issues 50,633, Suicide 47,717. If 300,000 die from COVID this year, I am betting the majority would have died from one of the above anyway. I wonder how many will die from COVID depression. Great stats to kill a football season. Warren needs to go.

In 2017 2,813,503 people died in the U.S. Leading causes. Heart disease 647,457, Cancer 599,108, Accidents 169,936, Respiratory disease 160,201, Stroke 146,383, Alzheimer’s 121,404, Diabetes 83,564, Flu and pneumonia 55,672, Nerve issues 50,633, Suicide 47,717. If 300,000 die from COVID this year, I am betting the majority would have died from one of the above anyway. I wonder how many will die from COVID depression. Great stats to kill a football season. Warren needs to go.

You know it wasn’t his decision, right?

The concern of the Pac-12 and the B1G wasn't about deaths. The first link is from the Pac-12's website. It is a list of the people on their medical advisory board. Feel free to tell us which one's you think are dumb enough to not know that the the death rate for college age people is miniscule. You'll also notice it is hardly just a bunch of government-appointed bureaucrats. Second link is their report.

https://xs.pac-12.com/2020-08/Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee.pdf

https://xs.pac-12.com/2020-08/Pac-12 Covid-19 Return to Play Considerations 08.10.2020.pdf

Reactions: bshirt73
one more number to think about. at the end of july, chronic disease deaths totals were mysteriously down 250,000 from the last 5 years average. no year in that time period was even close to this year. where did they go? maybe wuhan flu is actually saving people somehow?

The concern of the Pac-12 and the B1G wasn't about deaths. The first link is from the Pac-12's website. It is a list of the people on their medical advisory board. Feel free to tell us which one's you think are dumb enough to not know that the the death rate for college age people is miniscule. You'll also notice it is hardly just a bunch of government-appointed bureaucrats. Second link is their report.

https://xs.pac-12.com/2020-08/Pac-12 Covid-19 Return to Play Considerations 08.10.2020.pdf

This was already discussed on another thread. Pay attention

Reactions: OzzyLvr

The reviewed it like a typical medical academic. “Contact increases chance of tranmission” and based decision on that. There is zero review of personal impact of having your favorite thing in or out of your life and what external contact you would place yourself in (Or not) based on that potential impact on the young people’s lives. So they did a wonderful job evaluating football yes or no with the assumption there are no other confluences based on the play or not play decision. So they did not review in thought process of a statistician but pure medical view- in other words only studied the cause and affect on football and virus and did not evaluate how their life without football and virus may interact. Would have been more hotlistic view to at least mention as possible confound.

one more number to think about. at the end of july, chronic disease deaths totals were mysteriously down 250,000 from the last 5 years average. no year in that time period was even close to this year. where did they go? maybe wuhan flu is actually saving people somehow?

No they aren’t, 2020 data isn’t even close to complete, you cannot compare a partial year to a past year. Death cause and data lags weeks to months behind, if you want to compare Jan-March, those months are probably getting close to complete with NVSS data.

Covid-19 is a pandemic virus. Comparisons to non-infectious chronic diseases is lazy and somewhat idiotic IMO.
Since lazy irrelevant comparisons are fair game, here’s one. Between the 2016 and 2018 elections there were 372 possible incidents of mail voter fraud out of 14.6M mail-in ballots cast. That’s 0.0025%, which is a high enough percent for some to attempt shutting down the USPS.

Since lazy irrelevant comparisons are fair game, here’s one. Between the 2016 and 2018 elections there were 372 possible incidents of mail voter fraud out of 14.6M mail-in ballots cast. That’s 0.0025%, which is a high enough percent for some to attempt shutting down the USPS.
lol what're you comparing?

No. There were 372 people who were caught and prosecuted. Nobody is shutting down the USPS but keep the MSNBC take rolling...

Given the very high average age of the people who have died, I don't doubt that many of them didn't have a long time left to live whether or not they contracted COVID-19. But I have to keep reminding myself that there is a glaring exception to this assumption:

IF
they died in a blue state nursing home, they were spry folks with many years left until some crazy LIB governor practically smothered them with a pillow.

through the end of july we have had 210,000 more deaths in the US than an average year.

Given the very high average age of the people who have died, I don't doubt that many of them didn't have a long time left to live whether or not they contracted COVID-19. But I have to keep reminding myself that there is a glaring exception to this assumption:

IF
they died in a blue state nursing home, they were spry folks with many years left until some crazy LIB governor practically smothered them with a pillow.

But..but..but...any life lost is one to many. right?

Reactions: HuskerO
The reviewed it like a typical medical academic. “Contact increases chance of tranmission” and based decision on that. There is zero review of personal impact of having your favorite thing in or out of your life and what external contact you would place yourself in (Or not) based on that potential impact on the young people’s lives. So they did a wonderful job evaluating football yes or no with the assumption there are no other confluences based on the play or not play decision. So they did not review in thought process of a statistician but pure medical view- in other words only studied the cause and affect on football and virus and did not evaluate how their life without football and virus may interact. Would have been more hotlistic view to at least mention as possible confound.
Damn medical academics...what do they know?

Guess what? About 98% of these players will have to go without their favorite thing in life starting at about age 23 (or at least not in the same way, anyways). If they can't handle going without it for a few months, or an entire academic year, at age 19, 20, 21, or 22, then I guess most of them are going to be in a world of hurt very soon, as someone will permanently be taking the air out of their ball...and that would have been the case, even without COVID.

There's also nothing saying that the schools can't keep these players under the same protocol that they have been under all this time, and would have been under if there were games being played. I keep seeing Trevor Lawrence talk about how they're safer playing than being at home...which is probably true. But, why is it sounding like they'll go home if they can't play football? What happened to actually being a college student? As of now, football or no football, no one is being sent home.

My Saturdays are spend watching as much football as I can....but here's the rub....none of us on this board will be on the hook for the decision being made. Pretty easy to yap from the cheap seats. The line of people that will be saying "told you so" if the two conferences get it wrong will be much longer than the line of people willing to acknowledge that they got it right if that turns out to be the case.

Reactions: Cornfield
Since lazy irrelevant comparisons are fair

Speaking of laziness you and your husband can’t jump in your Prius and vote for dementia Joe and heels up Harris in person???

Damn medical academics...what do they know?

Guess what? About 98% of these players will have to go without their favorite thing in life starting at about age 23 (or at least not in the same way, anyways). If they can't handle going without it for a few months, or an entire academic year, at age 19, 20, 21, or 22, then I guess most of them are going to be in a world of hurt very soon, as someone will permanently be taking the air out of their ball...and that would have been the case, even without COVID.

There's also nothing saying that the schools can't keep these players under the same protocol that they have been under all this time, and would have been under if there were games being played. I keep seeing Trevor Lawrence talk about how they're safer playing than being at home...which is probably true. But, why is it sounding like they'll go home if they can't play football? What happened to actually being a college student? As of now, football or no football, no one is being sent home.

My Saturdays are spend watching as much football as I can....but here's the rub....none of us on this board will be on the hook for the decision being made. Pretty easy to yap from the cheap seats. The line of people that will be saying "told you so" if the two conferences get it wrong will be much longer than the line of people willing to acknowledge that they got it right if that turns out to be the case.
'actually being a college student' in 2020 means literally not being able to go to school.

they're on campus precisely because they are different than a normal student.

I’m sure you would bet your kids life or your our your patents on it

Speaking of laziness you and your husband can’t jump in your Prius and vote for dementia Joe and heels up Harris in person???
We are, bright and early. And then we’re headed down to Detroit to give people rides to their polling places. All the enthusiasm for Harris has already increased demand for volunteers. The same Harris, BTW, who the Trump’s financially backed for California AG..

IF
Good stuff right there! LOL

Median age 78, less than 1/2 of 1% dead and how many of those are misclassified? That’s before getting into co-morbidities. Fully agree.

We are, bright and early. And then we’re headed down to Detroit to give people rides to their polling places. All the enthusiasm for Harris has already increased demand for volunteers. The same Harris, BTW, who the Trump’s financially backed for California AG..
Remind me again is it the same Harris that said some supporting things about sleepy joe basement biden.. and got a whopping 2% support for president.. your laughable and we cant wait for a debate with these.. the american people will see the difference

Reactions: bshirt73
Remind me again is it the same Harris that said some supporting things about sleepy joe basement biden.. and got a whopping 2% support for president.. your laughable and we cant wait for a debate with these.. the american people will see the difference
Sleepy Joe vs. Rapey Don
Should be interesting....

Its pretty obvious isn't it? Communicable disease vs. non-communicable disease, different manifestations, a virus is infective and contagious, etc. I'm not teaching a class here.
That part is obvious, but I mistakenly thought you were trying to point out differences on a meaningful level in response to the OP. Thank you for clarifying.

Reactions: nu2u
And some of the people that are among the largest kissers of Trump's rear end now were among those that were the loudest at saying he was racist, unfit for office, etc.

Says the guy who is going to vote for a ticket which has a possible VP who just a couple months ago said she believed Biden’s accusers and explained Biden as a racist segregationist.

You are a gift that keeps on giving

IF they died in a blue state nursing home, they were spry folks with many years left until some crazy LIB governor practically smothered them with a pillow.
Good one. The point however is that COVID should have never have been knowingly introduced in to nursing homes. While my local nursing homes were quarantining in an area with virtually no cases at that time, Cuomo and his buddies were forcing nursing homes to take COVID patients. They might as well have been holding pillows over their face. SO FAR, my local nursing homes have kept the virus out. But then again I live in a red state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT