ADVERTISEMENT

All time loudest plays in Lincoln

Bugeater

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Surprise, AZ via North Platte
Many to choose from, so I'll throw one out, 2001 vs K-State, DeJuan Groce broke open a tight game with a spectacular punt return, as loud as I've ever heard for one big play at Memorial Stadium.

Even on the video of the game, you can barely hear the announcers on the play.

1:26:02 of the video!

Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
Many to choose from, so I'll throw one out, 2001 vs K-State, DeJuan Groce broke open a tight game with a spectacular punt return, as loud as I've ever heard for one big play at Memorial Stadium.

Even on the video of the game, you can barely hear the announcers on the play.

1:26:02 of the video!

Rudd hit on Kick off return 1978 Nebr vs. Oklahoma.. wasn't the crowd but the actual hit could be heard throughout the stadium..

The Crouch play also had the funniest radio call that I can remember hearing. I think it was Kent Pavelka (maybe Warren Swain?) calling it sounding like a teenage boy experiencing his first ever lapdance.

You'll notice that Crouch doesn't do any choreographed celebration dance. He turns to celebrate with his teammates. Awesome play!

Boxes first lapdance:
Entertainier: So honey, what do you want?
Boxes: I'm done. *Peter Griffin*

The Crouch play also had the funniest radio call that I can remember hearing. I think it was Kent Pavelka (maybe Warren Swain?) calling it sounding like a teenage boy experiencing his first ever lapdance.
How can you not know if it was Pavelka or Swain? Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but Swain was just the worst.

The TD on the reverse pass against Texas in 2006 in Lincoln.

We seriously thought we were gonna win and it started snowing.

It was Warren Swain, and it was a terrible call of a top 10 Husker football moment. Swain is a very nice man, but he was an awful PBP guy not deserving of the Husker job. There is a reason the only jobs he could find since his dismissal from Nebraska included Truman State and now Drake.

It was Warren Swain, and it was a terrible call of a top 10 Husker football moment. Swain is a very nice man, but he was an awful PBP guy not deserving of the Husker job. There is a reason the only jobs he could find since his dismissal from Nebraska included Truman State and now Drake.
Was it Pavelka that called the Miracle In Missouri game? If you go back and listen to the radio call, our guy calls it an incomplete pass in the endzone. To his credit, Brent Drunkberger called it perfectly on tv.

Reactions: saluno22
1984 Oklahoma state. Shanle 50 yard punt return for TD late in fourth quarter (or seems like it was pretty late) to break up a. 3-3 tie game. My ears rang for hours.

Lots of good ones already listed, but Nate Swift's punt return against Virginia Tech in 2008 is a moment that I will always remember as being particularly loud.

It's at about the 1:53:00 mark.

Reactions: tpmcg
And the winner is Alex Henery’s 57 yarder. Was there in my usual north EZ seats dead in the middle of the goalposts 57 rows up. Have N E V E R heard a louder explosion of ear splitting noise in Memorial stadium

My personal opinion only on games I've attended, and in chronological order.........

1977. The last interception to seal the win against Alabama
1978. The fumble recovery to seal the win against Oklahoma
1981. Slick Steele's punt return against Iowa State to give us the lead. That was on a day he had already sang the national anthem
1994. I know this isn't a play, but the tunnel walk when the team entered the field against Colorado was deafening. I can still see Bill McCartney trying to hold his team back from seeing it.
2001. Crouch's TD catch against OU maybe was the loudest ever.
2008. Even louder than Alex Henry's field goal was Suh's interception return for a TD a couple of plays later when the game was still in doubt.
2015. The comeback in the last second against Michigan State.
2016. I can't believe this was in the Riley era, but that last defensive play against Oregon was also deafening. Brock Huard was doing the color and said it was the first time he heard crowd noise over his headphones. You couldn't hear yourself think.

I know there were a lot of others in the 80's and 90's I'm forgetting, but those clearly stick out.

Makes me realize how lucky I’ve been to be present for a lot of these moments at least the relatively recent ones (in my 30s). The one I remember as the loudest is the crouch td catch, it was deafening. The most recent I can remember was that last Oregon drive in 2016 (I think). The whole drive but especially third down and then after the sack fumble fourth down was extremely loud as was the celebration after. I think that’s the last time I remember the crowd truly influencing the game, once the drive started I was certain they wouldn’t score because we were so loud.

The 57 yard kick was an absolute roar, I mean jet engine full thrust roar.

The miami game was the loudest sustained noise of any game I have been to. The crowd was hungry for blood and they were on point the whole game. It was exhausting, but soooooo much fun

ADVERTISEMENT