ADVERTISEMENT

All this is way overblown

Let me know if I've missed anyone

Transfer Portal Offense NET
LOST

1. Starting receiver (leading receiver on team)
  2. Backup receiver (5 catches for 40 yards in 2020; best season was 8 catches for 101 yards in 2019)
  3. Backup QB (with a 1:6 TD-to-interception ratio in 2020)
  4. Backup OG (signed with Western Kentucky)
GAINED
  1. Projected starting RB (top returning RB from Southern Cal)
  2. Projected starting WR (FCS All-American, potential first-round draft pick)
GAINED (2020)
  1. Projected backup WR (FCS player with 13 catches for 122 yards and a TD for Nebraska in 2020)
So is that a net gain or loss or have we maintained the status quo?
We have traded 1 and 3 from the top list for 1 and 2 on the bottom list.

IF we land a decent transfer QB in the portal that can push for the #1 spot, AND Stepp stays on the field and healthy, it will be a net gain on offense (Toure is the real deal and will contribute greatly next season).

Outside of that, it's a net loss.

Reactions: 9and4
Don't forget our own HC was a highly touted QB. Bill Walsh flew to Wood River to recruit him. He went to Stanford as the next star destined to be a NFL player...we all know the rest of the story. Recruiting is a crap shoot for the most part.

It’s everywhere, our fans just have tunnel vision and aren’t paying attention to what is happening all over CFB. NW, ND, Clemson have all lost a bunch of players lately and I don’t think that means they have culture problems.

Their hubris came up and bit them with Luke. They got it in their heads they were kingmakers at the QB position who took kids who couldn't throw and made them NFL talents. Got themselves a Taylor Martinez minus the starting job, "Yeah but his running ability though. We'll teach him to pass." No you won't. It's a shame Ed is deluded letting Luke and Dylan be QBs when they're obviously WRs like daddy.

Adrian has the arm talent, his issues are confidence and durability. The light MIGHT have come on with his ability to read defense late last season. Before he was lost trying to read a coverage and decide on a throw.

Smothers needs polish but his HS film you can see him throw an accurate ball. You start with accurate and you can add some pop with strength and work on reading defenses. You can't magically teach accuracy, IDGAF what Verdu did with Scott throwing tennis balls on his ass to make him think he could have been a passer.

Haarberg has a rifle but he's super raw and coming out of a lower class in a pretty weak state for HS football, so you have zero idea how he's going to project at the college level. It is INSANE that he was their lone QB take for this class, like how does nobody on that staff go, "Hey he's *a* QB in this class not *the* QB in this class, you got maybe 2 kids on this roster can actually be P5 starting quarterbacks. I'd like to have a freaking job in 2 years." If Henrich effing Haarberg's family wasn't going to sign if he wasn't the only QB taken then f*** off over to Wyoming kid, best of luck being the next Josh Allen. 3* Nebraska kids don't get to make demands.

They have GOT to reconcile the identity crisis between the kind of QB they've been taking and the kind of plays they call. Smothers isn't a 30-35 attempt a game guy either. My kingdom for a headset to say to Frost on Saturdays, "Max 25 pass attempts, coach. Max 25 attempts. Run that pig."

They better figure it out this year or the wheels are gonna come off and they're gonna lose the locker room.

Don't forget our own HC was a highly touted QB. Bill Walsh flew to Wood River to recruit him. He went to Stanford as the next star destined to be a NFL player...we all know the rest of the story. Recruiting is a crap shoot for the most part.
So Frost was kind of like Stanford's Joe Burrow o_O

Their hubris came up and bit them with Luke. They got it in their heads they were kingmakers at the QB position who took kids who couldn't throw and made them NFL talents. Got themselves a Taylor Martinez minus the starting job, "Yeah but his running ability though. We'll teach him to pass." No you won't. It's a shame Ed is deluded letting Luke and Dylan be QBs when they're obviously WRs like daddy.

Adrian has the arm talent, his issues are confidence and durability. The light MIGHT have come on with his ability to read defense late last season. Before he was lost trying to read a coverage and decide on a throw.

Smothers needs polish but his HS film you can see him throw an accurate ball. You start with accurate and you can add some pop with strength and work on reading defenses. You can't magically teach accuracy, IDGAF what Verdu did with Scott throwing tennis balls on his ass to make him think he could have been a passer.

Haarberg has a rifle but he's super raw and coming out of a lower class in a pretty weak state for HS football, so you have zero idea how he's going to project at the college level. It is INSANE that he was their lone QB take for this class, like how does nobody on that staff go, "Hey he's *a* QB in this class not *the* QB in this class, you got maybe 2 kids on this roster can actually be P5 starting quarterbacks. I'd like to have a freaking job in 2 years." If Henrich effing Haarberg's family wasn't going to sign if he wasn't the only QB taken then f*** off over to Wyoming kid, best of luck being the next Josh Allen. 3* Nebraska kids don't get to make demands.

They have GOT to reconcile the identity crisis between the kind of QB they've been taking and the kind of plays they call. Smothers isn't a 30-35 attempt a game guy either. My kingdom for a headset to say to Frost on Saturdays, "Max 25 pass attempts, coach. Max 25 attempts. Run that pig."

They better figure it out this year or the wheels are gonna come off and they're gonna lose the locker room.

I don’t think HH ever made any demands. At one time he mentioned Nebraska might take two QB’s and he seemed fine with it.

McCaffrey was recruited the same way Tom would have recruited him. He's an elite QB and I think the OP is wrong that he doesn't have enough arm strength to run Frost's offense. Good heavens the kid barely played and he's been written off as not having enough talent to play QB. He needs a couple of years to develop and I think he could be just fine in a spread option offense.

While I agree the results on the field have been terrible but I can't call them laughable. Nothing funny about losing seasons. OFF the field, I think the results have been fine. IF you're looking at it from a transfer standpoint, the only guy leaving that concerns me when I look at the circumstances of each guy, is Wandale. Even then if you believe the rumors, he's had one foot out the door since he signed. His dad wasn't happy when he signed here and all we've heard from him since Wandale got here was bitching. Time to move on.
Helicopter parents rarely if ever lead to a satisfactory situation.

Great take. The only thing that makes sense out of any of the QB moves (recruiting this season plus LM transferring) is if we have a transfer targeted.

It’s everywhere, our fans just have tunnel vision and aren’t paying attention to what is happening all over CFB. NW, ND, Clemson have all lost a bunch of players lately and I don’t think that means they have culture problems.

A team that won the West and two playoff teams.Frost would quiet a lot of doubters if he wins the West next year.

But, we will be lucky if he ever gets over the .500 mark.

Shhhh
Easy now, youre coming off as a radical.
Just close your door, the crazies in the streets will soon go away
I agreed with everything until you said the crazies will go away. These crybaby kids will never go away whether 4-6 or 10-0.
There punks and I wonder how many of em still attend the games.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
If we have kids transferring to superior schools, I'd be concerned. But they're not. They are going to lesser schools where they feel the competition is more to their liking. Wandale will probably have similar results at Kentucky as he did here. I hope he doesn't think of himself as a future Tyreek Hill. I'll say it again. If mistakes were made in recruiting, the portal is the way to correct them.

If we have kids transferring to superior schools, I'd be concerned. But they're not. They are going to lesser schools where they feel the competition is more to their liking. Wandale will probably have similar results at Kentucky as he did here. I hope he doesn't think of himself as a future Tyreek Hill. I'll say it again. If mistakes were made in recruiting, the portal is the way to correct them.

Which goes back to my question that I’ve beaten a dead horse with, why are we recruiting these type of kids? Are we just looking at their star rankings? We’ve completely tanked in essentially every receiver we’ve recruited and our QBs have been average at best.

Why was McCaffrey recruited if he does not possess the arm strength for this offense?

A lot of names above that haven’t done Jack squat on the field. It will take development. Frost and his coaches have proven diddly squat in that department.

A post like the above is regurgitated every offseason yet Frost continues to look laughable on and off the field.
Coaching staff made a mistake on LM as a QB. I believe Verdo is the one primarily responsible for QB recruitment. I think he has an ego that says he can develop QB. So far he has failed.

Coaching staff made a mistake on LM as a QB. I believe Verdo is the one primarily responsible for QB recruitment. I think he has an ego that says he can develop QB. So far he has failed.
I really think the play was to try him at QB and if he developed there, his athletic skills would be a bonus. If not, he would be a great addition to the WR room. And who knows, maybe Luke keeps working and it turns out fine for him at QB. But the decided to take his show on the road.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I really think the play was to try him at QB and if he developed there, his athletic skills would be a bonus. If not, he would be a great addition to the WR room. And who knows, maybe Luke keeps working and it turns out fine for him at QB. But the decided to take his show on the road.
Considering one quarterback per class, that was a really foolish risk IMO.

Considering one quarterback per class, that was a really foolish risk IMO.
I think if you are recruiting another QB with McAffrey, maybe you don't get him to sign. Smothers was brought into the fold the next year and they just signed the kid from Kearney, who is a big athletic kid.

Realistically, does Martinez have 1 or will he really be here 2 more years? It isn't really going to matter (over the next 2 years) who you bring/brought in, as long as he's your guy, you're going to get a certain level of play.

Someone mentioned that the light bulb sort of flickered on for Martinez at the end of the season, on how to read a defense etc, and I also saw some evidence of this, especially in his last game, but I'm grasping for straws here.

A few years ago, I said his ceiling was probably a division championship, this was back when all the heisman talk was going on prior to year 2.

Now him being his 4th year, we should be seeing some of his better football, but I'm just looking for positives and if he could put it all together and we went 9-3, that would please a lot of people, and would buy Scott more time.

This sounds pretty wishy washy, but I'm trying to see a way how next year unfolds in a productive way.. the schedule is not easy, but some teams will be down.

Reactions: timnsun
Which goes back to my question that I’ve beaten a dead horse with, why are we recruiting these type of kids? Are we just looking at their star rankings? We’ve completely tanked in essentially every receiver we’ve recruited and our QBs have been average at best.
This is the real question, I think the optics in many cases are worse because we lose kids that are high recruits, but these kids have in many cases had every opportunity to win jobs here because it's not like we are flushed with tons of talent to overcome. It seems for some reason or another the kids we've been recruiting aren't as good as the rankings they have coming in which is why most of them end up at G5 schools or lower. Granted we have shown an inability to grow and develop talent as well. This incoming class to me actually feels like a class that will take more time to develop but could have the kids willing to come in and work. Recruiting rankings don't mean a thing if half of the class never steps on the field.

Reactions: CatColumbia
We are freaking out because of his last name. If it was Smothers who left and Luke stayed we wouldn't really care.

Reactions: headcard
We are freaking out because of his last name. If it was Smothers who left and Luke stayed we wouldn't really care.
huh? I totally disagree, many of the posters on this board are expecting Smothers to be something special. Look at the number of people that are saying McCaffery doesn't have what it takes to be a QB. So if the QB many think is the next big thing left, without ever taking a snap in a game, and the guy many believe doesn't have what it takes to play QB at Nebraska stayed, more people would be upset with that scenario than the current. No doubt in my mind.

huh? I totally disagree, many of the posters on this board are expecting Smothers to be something special. Look at the number of people that are saying McCaffery doesn't have what it takes to be a QB. So if the QB many think is the next big thing left, without ever taking a snap in a game, and the guy many believe doesn't have what it takes to play QB at Nebraska stayed, more people would be upset with that scenario than the current. No doubt in my mind.

You're missing the point. This board and Twitter is crying because of the name McCaffrey is leaving.

huh? I totally disagree, many of the posters on this board are expecting Smothers to be something special. Look at the number of people that are saying McCaffery doesn't have what it takes to be a QB.
LM was given a shot at QB.

We all saw how that went.

Had it gone well, he'd be the #1 and AMART would be in the transfer portal right now.

Overblown? No, the program is in the $hi++er. I want Frost to succeed but see the writing on the wall. Losing season next year and him and Moos will be looking for new jobs.

Agree

A team that won the West and two playoff teams.Frost would quiet a lot of doubters if he wins the West next year.

But, we will be lucky if he ever gets over the .500 mark.

I think it is an almost certainty they will be above .500 next year.

There has been some attrition on offense but if you look at the 22 guys you would expect to contribute on offense it represents 14 players that were 5.7 or better and 4 top 100 guys. This is better than anything we have had in a long time and better than anyone in West with only Wisconsin being anywhere close. To compare to what was above average to good offense in 2018 they had 8 5.7+ and 2, one of which included Freshman Martinez as part of 2-3 deep.

I honestly think for those who are truly paying attention see a ton of indicators that the offense will take a massive step forward and be paired with an above average defense.

- The offensive talent is better than 2018 which finished number 2 in total offense, 4 in passing and 5 in PPG
- Defense won't finish anywhere near 12th in YPG like that year

Couple of predictions offensively assuming healthy Martinez

1. Team will average 450+ YPG
2. Another 1000 yard receiver like 2018
3. Balanced with Top 5 in both passing and receiving in conference
4 Martinez with over 3300 total years, 2500+ passing and 20+ touchdows or two more than Freshman year when he missed two games.

Team capable of winning a lot of games. Record largely determined by TO margin which will likely be dictated by Martinez, Kick/Punt coverage return teams and minimizing number of drive killing penalties. Folks can definitely worry about these items but this we should just punt crap because we lost a couple backup and Robinson is played out and makes the people spewing it look stuip

Reactions: headcard
Realistically, does Martinez have 1 or will he really be here 2 more years? It isn't really going to matter (over the next 2 years) who you bring/brought in, as long as he's your guy, you're going to get a certain level of play.

Someone mentioned that the light bulb sort of flickered on for Martinez at the end of the season, on how to read a defense etc, and I also saw some evidence of this, especially in his last game, but I'm grasping for straws here.

A few years ago, I said his ceiling was probably a division championship, this was back when all the heisman talk was going on prior to year 2.

Now him being his 4th year, we should be seeing some of his better football, but I'm just looking for positives and if he could put it all together and we went 9-3, that would please a lot of people, and would buy Scott more time.

This sounds pretty wishy washy, but I'm trying to see a way how next year unfolds in a productive way.. the schedule is not easy, but some teams will be down.

Let's consider the D he was allegedly reading. It was more like Dick and Jane compared to the great D's that are War and Peace.

You're missing the point. This board and Twitter is crying because of the name McCaffrey is leaving.

Here is your post. I missed no point. You clearly stated if it was Smothers who left...we wouldn't really care. If you want to say people are crying because of the name McCaffery leaving, I would agree. Where your point loses validity is when you bring Smothers into the conversation.

I agree. I think most here recognize that McCaffrey was a project. It's not the sight of McCaffrey leaving that has people upset - it's the fear that Smothers is also a project and has zero snaps under his belt.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I agree. I think most here recognize that McCaffrey was a project. It's not the sight of McCaffrey leaving that has people upset - it's the fear that Smothers is also a project and has zero snaps under his belt.
In reality 99% of incoming freshmen QBs are projects. Trevor Lawrence didn't win the job in fall camp but he obviously was a quick learner. The one hopeful thing with Smothers is that he's had plenty of time to learn the playbook and get used to the speed of the game in practice. My concern is behind him. We've needed 3 quarterbacks most years and were close to needing 3 last year. We played a banged up starter in several games and were one hit from Masker playing.

I believe that any qb we have coming up or currently will have much better success than years past.. just look at the height we have recruited..across the board.. hell if im a qb i give betts manning toure brown or any te a 50/50 ball from here on out.. those guys are so much more athletic than what weve had at those positions in a very long time..we will see

ADVERTISEMENT