ADVERTISEMENT

All this is way overblown

poundth3rock

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2007
Kansas
- Warner doesn’t represent a prominent football family he represents a walkon WR. If you are a glass half full person you don’t have to worry about Frost playing him because of experience and leaving one of the plethora of more physically talented players on bench
- Little Farniok was not going to play. Plenty of depth on oline, brother graduated got the Scholie back a year early
- McCaffery wants to be a QB and simply does not possess the arm strength to do that in this offense or at this level.

Only one player who has left that mattered to winning in 2021 and 2022 and that was Robinson because of his ability and versatility. McCaffrey may have been able to fill this role in the position he should be playing but both he and his brother will be looking for schools they can play QB at in the offseason.

The short of it is we have lost one player that was going to get regular playing time on offense and that was Robinson. If/when Iowa or Wisconsin have backups transfer there isn’t a single one of us that will expect an advantage in that game.

I have listed the core players who will be responsible for winning and losing games on offense for next two years. If some of these guys leave (including Smothers) I will start getting nervous.

QB

Martinez and Smothers matter. Need a transfer or legit high school QB in 2022 class

RB

Stepp, Scott and Ervin matter.

WR-TE

Allen, Vokolek, Carnie, Betts, Manning, Fidone, Martin, Brown, Houston, Toure & Nance matter

Most physically impressive group of recruits on our team and in in the Big Ten west. WR/TE talent is why McCaffrey cannot be a QB on this team because he is physically unable to utilize them. Lovie Smith saw this with one week of game film and completely sold out to stop run with no fear of passing. Hell, Martinez put up 42 on a better statistical version of that Illinois defense the year prior.

Oline

Corcoran, Piper, Jurgens, Noili, Benhart, Banks Matter along with 3 freshman to see what we have. This is the second most talented group of recruits on team. Everyone else is easily replaceable at the individual level. I would trade one of the named offensive lineman above for McCaffrey.

Defense

Seems attrition not an issue so as long we don’t lose scholarship DB’s all is good.

The teams likelihood for success of 21-22 (Frosts last two years if he doesn’t win) is no different today than it was yesterday. I am also still bullish ands expect this group of talented offensive players to finish no worst than 4th in total offense next year and in top half of league in total defense based on prior years. Clean up Special teams and some penalties this team is as good or better chance of winning West than anyone.

Why was McCaffrey recruited if he does not possess the arm strength for this offense?

A lot of names above that haven’t done Jack squat on the field. It will take development. Frost and his coaches have proven diddly squat in that department.

A post like the above is regurgitated every offseason yet Frost continues to look laughable on and off the field.

Why was McCaffrey recruited if he does not possess the arm strength for this offense?

A lot of names above that haven’t done Jack squat on the field. It will take development. Frost and his coaches have progeny diddly squat in that department.

Recruiting is a crap shoot and even great coaches miss on a lot of dudes.

He is also an elite athlete that is Smart. Upside is potentially high and he can play other positions. I would take a chance on a guy like that anytime. He just wouldn't be the only QB in class.

Recruiting is a crap shoot and even great coaches miss on a lot of dudes.

He is also an elite athlete that is Smart. Upside is potentially high and he can play other positions. I would take a chance on a guy like that anytime. He just wouldn't be the only QB in class.

Missing on a recruit because he didn’t pan out vs recruiting a guy who doesn’t have the arm talent to begin with are two different things.

Of course, the weirdo QB coach made it pretty clear what he wants at QB. He essentially wants a RB at the position which Luke fit to a T. Of course that will never work in the Big Ten and will be one of many reasons why Frost is ran out of the state in two years.

Cracks me up on how these players are the second coming of Christ until they decide to leave the dumpster fire. The all of a sudden there is no potential, they are no good, etc. Save your team and help the B1G gain more prominence and fire Frost! I heard that Tennessee is looking for a new Assistant Football Inflator!

Pelini wins 9 a year but gets called a lazy recruiter and is gone.

Riley is lauded for his approach and efforts in recruiting, but has a bad third year. Revisionist history says he left Frost with a bare cupboard.

Frost has had 3 straight losing seasons and despite slightly improved recruiting rankings, they are built on sand with players bolting left and right.

Frost is failing miserably at Nebraska, spin it as you see fit, but his only possible grade as the head coach for Nebraska so far is a clear F.

I hope it turns around, but an offense that has gotten worse each year under Frost has seen a starting OL choose not to return, the #1 WR leave (for the second straight year) and the #2 QB who also happened to probably be the best returning threat athletically to the offense.

Are there young, promising players that could change things? Absolutely, there is some definite young talent there, and while I hope it comes together and clicks, there are some definite issues on the offensive side of the ball.

Cracks me up on how these players are the second coming of Christ until they decide to leave the dumpster fire. The all of a sudden there is no potential, they are no good, etc. Save your team and help the B1G gain more prominence and fire Frost! I heard that Tennessee is looking for a new Assistant Football Inflator!

Iowa sucks

Missing on a recruit because he didn’t pan out vs recruiting a guy who doesn’t have the arm talent to begin with are two different things.

Of course, the weirdo QB coach made it pretty clear what he wants at QB. He essentially wants a RB at the position which Luke fit to a T. Of course that will never work in the Big Ten and will be one of many reasons why Frost is ran out of the state in two years.

Martinez was ranked by ESPN as number four pocket passer and had 25 TD to just four interceptions his Jr year in highschool

In his first year where we had a competent supporting cast across the board his Nebraska team finished 2nd in the Big Ten in total offense and fourth in passing.

Smothers also had 27 passing TD and 2000 plus 800 yards rushing.

Looks to me like they want someone who can do both equally well and that they would like to be balanced like to 2018. They targeted McCaffrey as someone who might be that guy and possibly missed on that assesment as coaches will no nearly 40% of the guys they recruit.

Reactions: 50Front and OzzyLvr
Martinez was ranked by ESPN as number four pocket passer and had 25 TD to just four interceptions his Jr year in highschool

In his first year where we had a competent supporting cast across the board his Nebraska team finished 2nd in the Big Ten in total offense and fourth in passing.

Looks to me like they want someone who can do both equally well and that they would like to be balanced like to 2018. They targeted McCaffrey as someone who might be that guy and possibly missed on that assesment as coaches will no nearly 40% of the guys they recruit.

Take it up with Verduzco. He said it, not me. He wants an athlete first and a guy with a “natural stroke.” Also, if you thought Luke had a noodle arm you are going to love Smothers. Laughing
That’s if he doesn’t run as far away from Frost as he can.

Smothers won't be any worse than Luke if a backup is needed.

I think Martinez is going to start the next two years and he will have more talent than he did in 2018. Maybe Frost will be successful and offense will look more like 2018 but improved. In that case QB takes care of itself with Freshman and a transfer. Or, he will lose and be fired and it won't matter much anyways.

Like I said, guys that matter for winning losing for 2021-2022 are on the roster and haven't left.

Riley is lauded for his approach and efforts in recruiting, but has a bad third year. Revisionist history says he left Frost with a bare cupboard.

Frost has had 3 straight losing seasons and despite slightly improved recruiting rankings, they are built on sand with players bolting left and right.

Frost is failing miserably at Nebraska, spin it as you see fit, but his only possible grade as the head coach for Nebraska so far is a clear F.

I hope it turns around, but an offense that has gotten worse each year under Frost has seen a starting OL choose not to return, the #1 WR leave (for the second straight year) and the #2 QB who also happened to probably be the best returning threat athletically to the offense.

Are there young, promising players that could change things? Absolutely, there is some definite young talent there, and while I hope it comes together and clicks, there are some definite issues on the offensive side of the ball.
Your missing one thing here with the OL Corcoran has a far higher upside to him than Jaimes ever did. The OL recruiting is a huge upgrade to even the likes of even Farmer and Foster. All good Jaimes and Matt F left, not worried one bit

Reactions: OzzyLvr

No one said they were the second coming but they will be at least as good as the 2018 NU team that finished 2nd in total offense in the conference and the defense won't finish 12th like it did that year as it has improved statistically each of last 3 years. This may be more of an indictment on everyone in Big Ten not named OSU but true none the less.

A lot of names above that haven’t done Jack squat on the field. It will take development. Frost and his coaches have proven diddly squat in that department.

A post like the above is regurgitated every offseason yet Frost continues to look laughable on and off the field.
This is a fair question. I'm not sure Luke's main problem is arm strength. I think the staff felt he had enough arm strength for QB in Frost's system. What he needed was just more reps to become more familiar with the position. I sort of agree with them. If he stuck around for another year of practice, I think he could have won the job in 2022.
My guess is Frost made it clear to him that he was still a part of the QB room and that he could compete for the starting job next season. His leaving makes me wonder if the rumor of a transfer QB coming here is true. Maybe it pushed him away.

Pelini was both bad and good.

When he got to Nebraska he fully utilized the significant talent he had and fielded some absolutely excellent defenses and found way to win some close games. He also got blown out (lose by 20 more more) a fairly decent (actually higher than Frosts blowout percentage) and had some really close games against bad teams which caused some fan pressure. With this pressure he basically imploded and all but fired himself with his behavior down stretch. Almost punched an official. Pissed himself during a game. Told fans to F off and as a result of all that crap we somehow ended up hiring a coach that was about to be fired at Oregon State. That transition class that Riley and Frost got is also probably the worst in modern husker history.

Follows that up failing at an FCS coach and getting fired after one year as coordinator. Was definitely a shell of his former self at the end but did some really good things at Nebraska.

The Suh and David Defenses may have been the last fun football we have seen at NU to this point so I have a place in my hear for dude despite all that.

Agree with everything you said except Frost deserves an F- (Yes an F Minus and that is only because the Defense is starting to improve).

Reactions: blackbones

I think the plan was to try him at QB to see how that worked out. This isn't the Big 12 North in the early 2000s and Luke isn't Jamaal Lord. So in the coaches mind, I'm sure the backup plan was to have Luke contribute in other areas. He's not interested in that, hence the transfer.

Exactly. Three backup players just left happens all over college football.
It's not just backups. UT's starting RB, who entered the portal a month ago, is transferring to USC. The dude was a starter and had nearly 2,000 yards in three seasons. So yea, this is college football now. Period!

Still, it's too bad they couldn't convince Luke to stay and switch positions. The dude was a dynamic athlete, not a QB IMO, but a playmaker for sure.

And let's be perfectly clear — this is an issue on only one side of the ball. It can't be stated how incredibly enthusiastic the Blackshirts are about playing in Chinander's system and continuing to improve.

So is this just a matter of an improving unit needing to keep players to continue that improvement, and then doing just that? And conversely, is this a matter of a struggling unit switching out a set of players for another set of players in an effort to match the defense's performance?

I prefer to think of it in those terms.

Consider the sunshine pumped.

- Warner doesn’t represent a prominent football family he represents a walkon WR. If you are a glass half full person you don’t have to worry about Frost playing him because of experience and leaving one of the plethora of more physically talented players on bench
- Little Farniok was not going to play. Plenty of depth on oline, brother graduated got the Scholie back a year early
- McCaffery wants to be a QB and simply does not possess the arm strength to do that in this offense or at this level.

Only one player who has left that mattered to winning in 2021 and 2022 and that was Robinson because of his ability and versatility. McCaffrey may have been able to fill this role in the position he should be playing but both he and his brother will be looking for schools they can play QB at in the offseason.

The short of it is we have lost one player that was going to get regular playing time on offense and that was Robinson. If/when Iowa or Wisconsin have backups transfer there isn’t a single one of us that will expect an advantage in that game.

I have listed the core players who will be responsible for winning and losing games on offense for next two years. If some of these guys leave (including Smothers) I will start getting nervous.

QB

Martinez and Smothers matter. Need a transfer or legit high school QB in 2022 class

RB

Stepp, Scott and Ervin matter.

WR-TE

Allen, Vokolek, Carnie, Betts, Manning, Fidone, Martin, Brown, Houston, Toure & Nance matter

Most physically impressive group of recruits on our team and in in the Big Ten west. WR/TE talent is why McCaffrey cannot be a QB on this team because he is physically unable to utilize them. Lovie Smith saw this with one week of game film and completely sold out to stop run with no fear of passing. Hell, Martinez put up 42 on a better statistical version of that Illinois defense the year prior.

Oline

Corcoran, Piper, Jurgens, Noili, Benhart, Banks Matter along with 3 freshman to see what we have. This is the second most talented group of recruits on team. Everyone else is easily replaceable at the individual level. I would trade one of the named offensive lineman above for McCaffrey.

Defense

Seems attrition not an issue so as long we don’t lose scholarship DB’s all is good.

The teams likelihood for success of 21-22 (Frosts last two years if he doesn’t win) is no different today than it was yesterday. I am also still bullish ands expect this group of talented offensive players to finish no worst than 4th in total offense next year and in top half of league in total defense based on prior years. Clean up Special teams and some penalties this team is as good or better chance of winning West than anyone.
correct. these are mostly non-impact players. there are multiple position groups that actually have more quality numbers than we need. I can see OLs transferring in near future after they figure out the pecking order.

I won’t say I’m panicking but why were these guys offered in the first place? I’m having doubts that Frost can recruit at the level we need. Might look good in the rankings but his kids tend to come with some caveat (better play me now at this position in a certain manner, etc.). Before we would blame the turnover coming from Riley’s guys but since 2019, we’ve had more transfers than anyone in the B10 West. Very tough to create a winning environment, especially when the coaches aren’t that great.

Reactions: scarletred
I won’t say I’m panicking but why were these guys offered in the first place? I’m having doubts that Frost can recruit at the level we need. Might look good in the rankings but his kids tend to come with some caveat (better play me now at this position in a certain manner, etc.).

I also have to question why their top QB choice the year after 2AM only had one year of starting in high school at QB that his father was coaching the team..

McCaffrey was recruited the same way Tom would have recruited him. He's an elite QB and I think the OP is wrong that he doesn't have enough arm strength to run Frost's offense. Good heavens the kid barely played and he's been written off as not having enough talent to play QB. He needs a couple of years to develop and I think he could be just fine in a spread option offense.

While I agree the results on the field have been terrible but I can't call them laughable. Nothing funny about losing seasons. OFF the field, I think the results have been fine. IF you're looking at it from a transfer standpoint, the only guy leaving that concerns me when I look at the circumstances of each guy, is Wandale. Even then if you believe the rumors, he's had one foot out the door since he signed. His dad wasn't happy when he signed here and all we've heard from him since Wandale got here was bitching. Time to move on.

I also have to question why their top QB choice the year after 2AM only had one year of starting in high school at QB that his father was coaching the team..
Because his father knew the best chance for them to win games was with their other D-1 QB was at QB and his son at WR. The other guy wasn't able to play WR. It's really that simple. You play to win the games and you use your players where you need them. Wandale left because we played him where and how we needed him. Who knows what goes through the minds of a 20 year old. Where he and his brother land might give us some clue.

I am telling you though that in this COVID year, kids are making decisions for lots of reasons that we never had to consider as college students. What a f'n mess this virus and the B1G's response has made of these kids' lives. I'll be very surprised if both McCaffrey's don't land at somewhere other than a B1G school. The draconian social restrictions put on those kids from March through December in order for them to play football would make many kids want to quit football all together.

Amen! And why is the kid stuck on wanting to be a QB in a power 5 is beyond me. The whole thing is just weird.
You go for your dreams. We'll see if he lands as a QB at another power 5 program. Hell we might have this all wrong. MAYBE he wants to be a full time WR and Frost told him no we need you at QB. I would like to hear Luke's reasoning on transferring. Most of the things being posted on social media and message boards are speculation.

Because his father knew the best chance for them to win games was with their other D-1 QB was at QB and his son at WR. The other guy wasn't able to play WR. It's really that simple. You play to win the games and you use your players where you need them. Wandale left because we played him where and how we needed him. Who knows what goes through the minds of a 20 year old. Where he and his brother land might give us some clue.

I am telling you though that in this COVID year, kids are making decisions for lots of reasons that we never had to consider as college students. What a f'n mess this virus and the B1G's response has made of these kids' lives. I'll be very surprised if both McCaffrey's don't land at somewhere other than a B1G school. The draconian social restrictions put on those kids from March through December in order for them to play football would make many kids want to quit football all together.

I‘m not questioning starting his son at QB to win games not to mention they won the Colorado state championship..

I’m questioning in 2018 the #1 guy on their board ( Frost and Verduzco) was a QB that only had started one season and on top of it went after only on QB, which now has turned into a mistake especially that he promised Logan Smothers that we wouldn’t recruit another QB in his class..

Hoping Smothers turns out to be home run hit at QB since all’s we have now is Martinez and Harrberg from a Kearny C.C..

This is incredibly short sighted. The latest transfers are part of a troubling trend. We have lost essentially one entire recruiting cycle in 2 years. You can’t play football with just your 22 best players

Per Mitch Sherman:
Since Dec. 1, 2019, here are numbers on scholarship players to enter: Nebraska 25, Illinois 14, Purdue 14, Minnesota 11, Iowa 10, Northwestern 10, Wisconsin 7

And here are numbers for the Big Ten East: Maryland 29, Rutgers 20, Penn State 15, Michigan 14, Michigan St 14, Indiana 8, Ohio State 5.

....counting walk ons...the number that has transferred is 37

It’s funny how how these players are hyped up and are the second coming of Christ before they even play a down of football, and then when they do play and prove that they aren’t the second coming, and transfer out, the world is suddenly ending.

I will say yes at the end of the day it is slightly concerning that there seems to be a mass exodus right now. I’m not sure how I feel about LM transferring I definitely know he was not developing into even a marginal QB, and I honestly put that blame on Coach V. I will say I’m more concerned about LM because of his drive and competitive nature, the same things I hate losing in WR, those two just played with a different intensity that made them fun to watch. Farniok and Warner should not effect us much at all since neither of them were even average BIG starters.

the fact is WR remains the biggest loss that can even potentially have an effect on how next year pans out for us. Even if there isn’t much progression along the O-Line farniok was easily replaceable, if you disagree please explain what unique skill set he brought to the table that wasn’t replaceable, and same goes for Warner, the WR group has bodies in there, Warner didn’t get much separation, and wasn’t very fast, so what unique skill set did he bring that isn’t replaceable?

Something that bothers me with the McCaffrey transfer is it highlights NU's extending futility in grooming and developing quarterbacks through the system. This pre-dates Frost but has certainly continued under him. Joe Ganz is the last QB I can think of that learned the system while waiting his turn and was an effective QB as an upper classman. Since then, it seems we've had nothing but QBs that have started since their freshman year, with a revolving door of backups unable or too impatient to try and win the job. Whether that's the reality of college football today or reflective of NU coaching, or a combination, it seems to in imply the coaches can't afford to take any flyers in recruiting the QB position, or be really confident in abilities to attract transfer talent.

I‘m not questioning starting his son at QB to win games not to mention they won the Colorado state championship..

I’m questioning in 2018 the #1 guy on their board ( Frost and Verduzco) was a QB that only had started one season and on top of it went after only on QB, which now has turned into a mistake especially that he promised Logan Smothers that we wouldn’t recruit another QB in his class..

Hoping Smothers turns out to be home run hit at QB since all’s we have now is Martinez and Harrberg from a Kearny C.C..
The going after one QB isn't unusual at all in college football. When you look at where we were when we recruited Smothers, we really didn't have room in our scholarship distribution for another QB in that class. With the scholarship limits we had other needs that we had to fill. Frankly, I think we've got a walk on QB on the team right now who would have been a scholarship QB for Tom.

Sometimes you don't know what you really have until you see them play. I've heard Tom state several times that he should have started Gerry Gdowski a year earlier than he did. I think we'll be okay without Luke. I liked the kid's attitude and football IQ but we've got other guys who bring different skills to the table. I'm interested to see Masker and Smothers in the spring scrimmage. I think Haarberg is on campus now too isn't he?

Last edited:
This is incredibly short sighted. The latest transfers are part of a troubling trend. We have lost essentially one entire recruiting cycle in 2 years. You can’t play football with just your 22 best players

Per Mitch Sherman:
Since Dec. 1, 2019, here are numbers on scholarship players to enter: Nebraska 25, Illinois 14, Purdue 14, Minnesota 11, Iowa 10, Northwestern 10, Wisconsin 7

And here are numbers for the Big Ten East: Maryland 29, Rutgers 20, Penn State 15, Michigan 14, Michigan St 14, Indiana 8, Ohio State 5.

The first class which was hastily thrown together loaded with reaches skews that number significantly. Add to it guys leaving recruited by Riley who didn't fit the system and you get what we got. I'm not all that worried by any of the transfers other than Luke and Wandale. Given Luke's situation with the depth chart and COVID I'm not all that worried about them either.

Reactions: Migue Lobo
Masker fits nicely in the mold of guys recruited like Jeff Quinn and Steve Runty. Maybe even like a Gerry Gdowski. I would use Brook Berringer as an example of a guy Tom took who was a pro-style QB but that would offend some people. Masker is athletic enough to get yardage on QB runs. The NFL is littered with guys on rosters who had high school careers similar to Masker. ONE of these days we need to get lucky in our QB recruiting and hit on a guy who develops the way Quinn did. I played against Quinn in high school. With the scholarship limits and transfer rules, it might have to be a walk on.

Reactions: WHCSC
Masker fits nicely in the mold of guys recruited like Jeff Quinn and Steve Runty. Maybe even like a Gerry Gdowski. I would use Brook Berringer as an example of a guy Tom took who was a pro-style QB but that would offend some people. Masker is athletic enough to get yardage on QB runs. The NFL is littered with guys on rosters who had high school careers similar to Masker. ONE of these days we need to get lucky in our QB recruiting and hit on a guy who develops the way Quinn did. I played against Quinn in high school. With the scholarship limits and transfer rules, it might have to be a walk on.

TO took Berringer but the player he was after went to Colorado names Kordell Stewart..

I agree we need to get lucky with someone like Masker who now has the ability to prove himself this spring along with Smothers..

Someone needs to step up for our program if Martinez gets turning the ball over constantly....

Reactions: dinglefritz
Let me know if I've missed anyone

Transfer Portal Offense NET
LOST

1. Starting receiver (leading receiver on team)
  2. Backup receiver (5 catches for 40 yards in 2020; best season was 8 catches for 101 yards in 2019)
  3. Backup QB (with a 1:6 TD-to-interception ratio in 2020)
  4. Backup OG (signed with Western Kentucky)
  5. Backup OC
GAINED
  1. Projected starting RB (top returning RB from Southern Cal)
  2. Projected starting WR (FCS All-American, potential first-round draft pick)
GAINED (2020)
  1. Projected backup WR (FCS player with 13 catches for 122 yards and a TD for Nebraska in 2020)
So is that a net gain or loss or have we maintained the status quo?

Last edited:
Let me know if I've missed anyone

Transfer Portal Offense NET
LOST

1. Starting receiver (leading receiver on team)
  2. Backup receiver (5 catches for 40 yards in 2020; best season was 8 catches for 101 yards in 2019)
  3. Backup QB (with a 1:6 TD-to-interception ratio in 2020)
  4. Backup OG (signed with Western Kentucky)
GAINED
  1. Projected starting RB (top returning RB from Southern Cal)
  2. Projected starting WR (FCS All-American, potential first-round draft pick)
GAINED (2020)
  1. Projected backup WR (FCS player with 13 catches for 122 yards and a TD for Nebraska in 2020)
So is that a net gain or loss or have we maintained the status quo?
winning

Per Mitch Sherman:

If you’re going to throw in walk ons, Can you count the walk ons for all the other programs as well?

I agree losing players is an issue that will bite us in the butt, but the coaching staff has been attempting to solve some of this defections using the transfer portal. So even though we have lost 25 since December 2019 (a staggering amount, really), we have also added from the transfer portal since then. Certainly not enough to offset the losses, but the coaches have been active in bringing kids in through that Avenue as well.

Reactions: Migue Lobo
ADVERTISEMENT