ADVERTISEMENT

all these seniors coming back...

...kind of like a second recruiting class!!!

(has anyone already said that:) )
Yes, good for NU football. Collateral damage to this scenario more broadly across the sports arena are the high school senior athletes with college aspirations that may have lost a senior year of sports/exposure to try and get a scholarship, as well as programs having less spots for incoming freshman.

Yes, good for NU football. Collateral damage to this scenario more broadly across the sports arena are the high school senior athletes with college aspirations that may have lost a senior year of sports/exposure to try and get a scholarship, as well as programs having less spots for incoming freshman.
actually they'll have the same number of spots for incoming freshmen. It might delay them getting on the field. T Eventually though unless they do something with scholarship limits next year, it will mean fewer kids on football scholarships. The kids this affects the most are the freshmen through next fall's high school seniors. IMO they are going to have to expand scholarship limits for a couple of years until this glut of players gets through the system. It isn't just seniors who are going to be around longer. I think this is going to end up meaning more talent through all divisions of college football and some players are going to be forced down a level from where they might have been previously.

actually they'll have the same number of spots for incoming freshmen. It might delay them getting on the field. T Eventually though unless they do something with scholarship limits next year, it will mean fewer kids on football scholarships. The kids this affects the most are the freshmen through next fall's high school seniors. IMO they are going to have to expand scholarship limits for a couple of years until this glut of players gets through the system. It isn't just seniors who are going to be around longer. I think this is going to end up meaning more talent through all divisions of college football and some players are going to be forced down a level from where they might have been previously.
The NCAA has already determined that a team may have a number of additional scholarships next year that corresponds to the number of senior scholarship players choosing to return.

Ancillary benefit is having a bunch of Seniors working with some quality classes that on campus and coming in. Yes, every school will benefit, but we needed it desperately. Can’t be overstated.

It will be interesting to see how this affects games next year.

Will we have more parity, will it be worse or will all things remain the same? I think some programs will benefit and their will be some surprises.

I guess I look at this as a double edged sword. You don't have a lot of excuses on D, I never want to hear " this team is young crap." Does it hinder building up the younger talent you already have? Sure you have practice but the young guys who would have been looking at a significant amount of PT, won't be getting it. Will there be pressure to play these guys no matter what? How do you sit a kid who has been there longer than some of the professors?

As a coach, you would naturally think you job just got easier, you have experience in your system staring year four. Is it good experience? Who had the final say? Did they allow everyone to come back or only a select few? I really don't know how it worked but there are definitely some team dynamics going on.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I'm announcing I'm going back to work monday, cause I haven't made 7 million yet...

Some couldn’t wait to get rid of Riley’s players, now the same group is overjoyed they are coming back to help Scotty potentially achieve his first winning season.

Reactions: ridge22
...kind of like a second recruiting class!!!

(has anyone already said that:) )
What I wonder is how that all works within the 85 scholarship limit? Are teams being allowed to exceed 85 for the number of returning seniors? I didn't think so, meaning how are all the incoming new enrollees being accommodated? Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't seen it explained any where. Would have thought such a matter would have been all over the football news.

And are most of these returning seniors going to be enrolled in grad school?

Last edited:
And they voted not to go to a bowl
The word was that the offense and led by a vocal "leader" from the offense pushed not to extend the season. The defense wanted to play another game. I bet the kids who are returning voted yes to playing another game.

Reactions: headcard
The word was that the offense and led by a vocal "leader" from the offense pushed not to extend the season. The defense wanted to play another game. I bet the kids who are returning voted yes to playing another game.
I assume you're meaning Adrian?

The NCAA has already determined that a team may have a number of additional scholarships next year that corresponds to the number of senior scholarship players choosing to return.
The problem arises for kids in high school right now is that the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA due to COVID is going to potentially back kids up in the system. Longer term there are going to be less scholarship spots available in the system for new kids going to college. This is probably especially detrimental to low income athletes hoping to go to college on scholarship. This virus has screwed up things so badly for so many people.

Why do you assume Adrian? Since we are making assumptions. What about the kid whose dad throw a fit on Twitter after his son got hit hard playing football, that already had an apartment picked out in Lexington the week after the season?
Because he said "leader" and to me that likely implies a team captain on the offensive side of the ball. That's all that's in the assumption but that's exactly why I would like to know who he meant. My assumption could be wrong.

I imagine some schools will have players set records that will need an asterisk since they had an extra year to accomplish it.

Reactions: headcard
I can only think of two "vocal leaders" on offense. Both left. There's yer sign.

The problem arises for kids in high school right now is that the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA due to COVID is going to potentially back kids up in the system. Longer term there are going to be less scholarship spots available in the system for new kids going to college. This is probably especially detrimental to low income athletes hoping to go to college on scholarship. This virus has screwed up things so badly for so many people.

Which is why it was a terrible idea to allow.

Short sighted

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT