ADVERTISEMENT

Alaric Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that in either case they're looking for LBs who can line up and rush the passer off the edge. I keep thinking about that commend Banker made about upgrading defensive speed. He mentioned recruiting ends who can move to tackle, LBs who can move to end, safeties who can play LB, and corners who can play safety.
Seems like I remember them (coaches) mention a lack of LBs available to help with special teams also.

Regardless of where these 2 end up, I predict our class ends up ranked higher than Iowas after signing day. Has to be disappointing to Hawk fans considering they are coming off their best season in their program's history, and ours was our worst in 70 years.

Not in the least. You can have your fake February rankings, and we'll take actual victories on the field and Top 10 final poll rankings.

Not in the least. You can have your fake February rankings, and we'll take actual victories on the field and Top 10 final poll rankings.
LOL if we are blessed with your schedule in the next few years, I can guarantee we will get a top 10 finish as well. Stanford showed you weren't anywhere close to one of the best 10 teams in the country. The one great team you played showed just how you stack up. Hell you were lucky to beat us and we sucked this past year. We will keep getting better, whereas Iowa just peaked.

If they both wanted to go to Iowa, Iowa would make room for them. On that note, I hope that Nebraska lands Farniok something terrible.
I believe you are correct. Not sure how it would work for the Hawks but I'm hoping we find out.

LOL if we are blessed with your schedule in the next few years, I can guarantee we will get a top 10 finish as well. Stanford showed you weren't anywhere close to one of the best 10 teams in the country. The one great team you played showed just how you stack up. Hell you were lucky to beat us and we sucked this past year. We will keep getting better, whereas Iowa just peaked.

Really? You got blown out by Purdue and you would be top 10 with Iowa's schedule?

Really? You got blown out by Purdue and you would be top 10 with Iowa's schedule?

Learn to read, I said in a FEW YEARS. In case you didn't notice we need a QB, and we had a walk on playing in the Purdue game. JUst curious, if 10 point loss is a blow out in your book, what the heck are you calling that debacle in the Rose Bowl?

Learn to read, I said in a FEW YEARS. In case you didn't notice we need a QB, and we had a walk on playing in the Purdue game. JUst curious, if 10 point loss is a blow out in your book, what the heck are you calling that debacle in the Rose Bowl?

Iowa definitely got blown out in the Rose Bowl. However, when you are down what was it? 42-16 to Purdue? You got blown out. You can score some late touchdowns to make it interesting and spin it how you want, but the bottom line is BLOWN OUT.

Iowa definitely got blown out in the Rose Bowl. However, when you are down what was it? 42-16 to Purdue? You got blown out. You can score some late touchdowns to make it interesting and spin it how you want, but the bottom line is BLOWN OUT.

55-45 with a backup walk on QB.
45-16 with starting QB that only lost 2 games since starting.

How good are you at math.RollingLaugh

Reactions: huskergal99
Jackson has 5 Detroit area friends on the Iowa team +King who is a mentor to him . I think the fat lady has sung on this one.

FYI, the Iowa "experts" are saying Farnoik is headed to NU. Also appears the Iowa staff is asking/hoping (allegedly) A. Jackson to not take an official to NI this weekend.

If both MF and AJ want to commit you have to think the NUncoaches would take both. Could be a big turning tide in NU's favor, if true.

**edit**

MSU has informed AJ that he could potentially play DE. Sounds as if he's not coming to Lincoln.

Looks to be a race between Iowa and MSU.

I'm not implying anything, but it's really strange to me that a good football player like AJ would consider playing football at Iowa when he has offers to play elsewhere.
There's always a few oddities every recruiting year.

Last edited:
Iowa puts offensive linemen in the NFL, that is a fact. Currently, Nebraska does not. It's not the 90's anymore Charlie.

This is a pretty ignorant comment. Nebraska has five current NFL offensive linemen (Incognito, Sirles, Qvale, Long, Slauson). Iowa had seven. Don't act like it is some huge advantage.

And if you want to talk about NFL success, Nebraska has the highest paid Defensive player (Suh) and the highest paid 4-3 OLB (David - I made a distinction b/t a 3-4 and a 4-3 OLB because David is a true LB, not a rush end, like Julius Peppers). Does Iowa put any elite players into the NFL? If you want to be a highly paid elite player, you better come to Nebraska, right?

Iowa puts offensive linemen in the NFL, that is a fact. Currently, Nebraska does not. It's not the 90's anymore Charlie.
I know the Pro Bowl is a bit of a farce, but last time I checked we both have the same number of O linemen starting this year... and Wisconsin has 2! Guess these guys should be going to Wisconsin, not Iowa or Nebraska...

That's a good point with highly paid players, Shawn.

Looks like Iowa would probably go with LB Chad Greenway, OG Marshal Yanda, DT Jonathan Babineaux DT Mike Daniels, RG Brandon Scherff as elite/highly paid players at their positions. Some Iowans might thrown in RT Bryan Bulaga or S Micah Hyde, but I think they are a bit behind.

That's a good point with highly paid players, Shawn.

Looks like Iowa would probably go with LB Chad Greenway, OG Marshal Yanda, DT Jonathan Babineaux DT Mike Daniels, RG Brandon Scherff as elite/highly paid players at their positions. Some Iowans might thrown in RT Bryan Bulaga or S Micah Hyde, but I think they are a bit behind.

Hyde - the 29th highest paid strong safety
Bulaga - 31st paid tackle (9th paid RT)
Yanda - 4th highest paid guard
Babineaux - 25th highest paid DT
Daniels - 17th highest paid DE
Scherff - 18th highest paid Guard
Greenway - I could not find his info on the site, oddly enough
(http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/)

Outside of Yanda, none are paid as elite players. ANd Yanda is on the edge of 'elite'

Yanda is widely regarded as the best guard in the NFL.

Greenway looks like he took a 3/mil. Paycut to make his team better. Probably elite if you can afford to do that.

I really don't understand these conversations between Nebraska and Iowa fans (on a Husker site). Both teams are middle of the road programs--there is a lot to like about both programs: academic support, facilities, good universities, nice communities (not that familiar with Iowa City but have made pit stops there), decent coaches, and while both fan bases can be a little over the top they are passionate overall--one caveat, I am not sure Iowa would have 92,000+ (or however many it takes to fill the stadium) in the building with a losing record. But again, both are good middle of the road programs and Iowa seems to be on the rise (for a Husker fan that does not sound good, however, I am very confident we are also going to see improvement in the coming years).

But I think Iowa fans need to concentrate on their two main rivals--Minnesota and Iowa State (I think you guys are 8-8 since 2000 against ISU). We, on the other hand, need to figure out who our main rival is--we are still struggling with that and coming to terms with our identity in the Big Ten (14). Actually, this could (I am dreaming here) be settled with OU and Kansas coming into the conference. But no matter what, we will find our footing in the Big Ten (14) eventually and we will find a rival and it may be Iowa. But for now, I would just as soon not get into a piss fight over recruits and how that reflects on the worth of both programs.

As I said, for Hawkeye fans this is where your concern should be:

bundrage-quenton_iowa_2013-14.jpg

Did you say actual on field victories?

All time you're getting blown out 14-29-3 and you're also behind since Nebraska joined the BIG.

If you're going to run smack, stick to something that you're not getting smoked on.

Yanda is widely regarded as the best guard in the NFL.

Greenway looks like he took a 3/mil. Paycut to make his team better. Probably elite if you can afford to do that.

As a Vikings fan I can tell you took a paycut to stay with the franchise. He is by far the weak link on the line backing crew and most in purple would love to put him out to pasture.

As a Vikings fan I can tell you took a paycut to stay with the franchise. He is by far the weak link on the line backing crew and most in purple would love to put him out to pasture.

No, no, no. Greenway and Yanda are almost identical to Suh and LaVonte in terms of talent and status. Iowa produces the very best in all things NFL....

[QUOTE="wcbrooks, post: 1767218, member: 6464

bundrage-quenton_iowa_2013-14.jpg

Maybe it's the angle, but No. 1 in that picture looks like he should be playing Pop Warner football.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
I'm a huge husker fan but also a huge ravens fan. yanda was rated the best guard in the nfl last year. but guess who was right behind him...Richie incognito. This point is a wash.

Reactions: huskerssalts
It is a stupid discussion, either team Farniok picks will get him to the NFL if hes good enough, Hawkeyes or Huskers can and will get him there but saying if he doesn't pick our team or vise versa then he won't get there is retarded. Now competing for titles, his best shot is the Huskers. We had a down year this year but we are more consistent then Iowa, Iowa is down, down, down, have a killer season (due to a beyond weak schedule) and then watch next year, they'll go 7-4 or worse. There one good season doesn't mean there suddenly on the rise. Watch at the end of next season, i bet we are the better team with the better record and hand them a 10 point loss or worse.

It is a stupid discussion, either team Farniok picks will get him to the NFL if hes good enough, Hawkeyes or Huskers can and will get him there but saying if he doesn't pick our team or vise versa then he won't get there is retarded. Now competing for titles, his best shot is the Huskers. We had a down year this year but we are more consistent then Iowa, Iowa is down, down, down, have a killer season (due to a beyond weak schedule) and then watch next year, they'll go 7-4 or worse. There one good season doesn't mean there suddenly on the rise. Watch at the end of next season, i bet we are the better team with the better record and hand them a 10 point loss or worse.
Well, the debate over Farniok is over but I think your initial point is importaant However, I would caution those who think Iowa will go away next year. They have some key players back and I think they will come in with a chip on their shoulders. I also think we will still be in transition next year, we will be better but we are still a couple years away. Interestingly enough, I think the Tulane QB transfer will be key as a bridge between TA and POB--to me he is a key get for coach in this cycle. Thanks for you post, you brought up some good points.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT