ADVERTISEMENT

After Frost was hired, if somebody would’ve told you that after two years...

That his results would be...

- 9-15
- no bowl games
- not only unable to beat Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan - but also Iowa, Purdue, and Colorado
- that he would be beaten by Indiana
- that he would be blown out by Minnesota

Would have believed it? I would have thought the person making this prediction was brain dead. Yet here we are today with exactly that.

It is beyond words to describe how unbelievably disappointing Scott Frost has been leading the Nebraska Cornhuskers.
Would never had guessed that would happen.

I honestly don’t think he will get it done at Nebraska until he starts taking accountability. I don’t understand how in the end of year 2 you can blame the previous guy but at UCF in year 2 when they went undefeated it was all him. It’s got to be one or the other right?
No...it doesn't...the Riley team he took over for had zero nfl draft picks...zero! The 4 win team he took over then lost all of their scholarship qbs, and had a defense that was statistically the worst in the nation over the last half of 2017. THEN...they lost 38 players to attrition. UCF had a number of star players...at qb, de, te, and corner. He turned them into the #1 offense in the country...they were pre-packaged for success because the recruiting classes that ended being good came from a time when UCF was decent. Frost was not given prepackaged recruiting classes...2017 has vaporized...2016 was decent but came after a 5 win season, and was pulled by a 70 year old coach. None of those guys had better offers. The 2019 huskers are the 2016 class with a few freshman and true sophomores, and transfers. That was a middling class, the team is a middling team even if we were healthy and hadn't lost all-conference players to attrition.

Honestly, yes. I had us winning 4 games last year. I had us winning 5 games this year.

Fwiw I have us winning 5 games next year.
When you buy the dog you get the fleas free. Scotts aren't many but are fatal fleas. He is bull headed and he gave up a Heisman Trophy candidate for a guy who screws up and screws up and screws up.We paid 45 MILLION Dollars for a player who took us farther and farther down the rabbit hole. I told a long time professional fan at the end of last years spring game Adrian was a was a screw up but the guys let up on him in both spring games to keep a mentally defective team leader. I am neither all in or all out on Frost just remember he has some very bad fleas.

I would not have believed you.

I thought the staff could get 8 wins the first year.

Even after last year, given the schedule, I thought there would be 9 wins this year.

I'm all N on Frost for if no other reason at this point that, without a doubt, he cares about the program and if nothing else after 7 years he will have stocked Nebraska up to a full roster. I don't think he'll quit on this program and I believe he will step down on his own if it looks like a change is needed.

Reactions: HuskerO
I really didn’t care last year...take a year to change the culture. I fully expected 8 wins and looking like good football this year and not blaming players/previous coaches for a poor season because no legit coach has ever done that in his 2nd season. But heck, just get to a bowl game and don’t blame players/previous coaches for a poor season because no legit coach does that in his 2nd season. I was wrong...what an idiot I am.

No...it doesn't...the Riley team he took over for had zero nfl draft picks...zero! The 4 win team he took over then lost all of their scholarship qbs, and had a defense that was statistically the worst in the nation over the last half of 2017. THEN...they lost 38 players to attrition. UCF had a number of star players...at qb, de, te, and corner. He turned them into the #1 offense in the country...they were pre-packaged for success because the recruiting classes that ended being good came from a time when UCF was decent. Frost was not given prepackaged recruiting classes...2017 has vaporized...2016 was decent but came after a 5 win season, and was pulled by a 70 year old coach. None of those guys had better offers. The 2019 huskers are the 2016 class with a few freshman and true sophomores, and transfers. That was a middling class, the team is a middling team even if we were healthy and hadn't lost all-conference players to attrition.
Offensively, Scott basically ran off O'Brien & Gebbia and a bunch of other offensive skill players.

Defensively, he didn't do that, and that is likely the reason why the defense has played as well as it did in this scheme. Most of the starting Defense is made up of Riley's players.

Except for Wandale and Mills, the offensive players Scott has brought in have not made a major impact, yet.

I'm not sure what to think about special teams, but that has been a disaster.

So, in a nutshell, I think Scott owns the offensive results.. he didn't have to run off all those players, and although he did add a lot of them when he turned the roster over, it's probably been a net loss to the offense the past 2 years.

That will have to change, as his recruits will need to step up.

We will also be losing a big chunk of Rileys players on defense, so there could be a drop off there, adding more urgency to get the offensive production going.

If we lose others to attrition, you can see this just becomes even more difficult.

That his results would be...

- 9-15
- no bowl games
- not only unable to beat Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan - but also Iowa, Purdue, and Colorado
- that he would be beaten by Indiana
- that he would be blown out by Minnesota

Would have believed it? I would have thought the person making this prediction was brain dead. Yet here we are today with exactly that.

It is beyond words to describe how unbelievably disappointing Scott Frost has been leading the Nebraska Cornhuskers.
If it means culture/talent flip that brings long-lasting results, I'm in.

If i told you after 2 years ....That Frost hasnt even found out Jack Stoll and Austin Allen are on the team...
Stoll fell down with a play otherwise perfectly set up for him. Allen had a costly false start Friday. They both played a lot and have spent a fair amount of time pass blocking. There's been times when they've been in the pattern and AM hasn't found them. I'm not sure why that is Frost's fault.

The comment that threw me when he was talking about the kick return for a TD. Frost said he didn't make it over to the special teams because he had just gotten done making offensive play calls. Uh, Frost, it was a defensive pick six. Was that just a lie or was your head not in the game?
I don't think he wanted to throw Cam Taylor Britt under the bus. The kicker kicked the ball to the wrong spot and then CTB didn't keep contain. IMO, we didn't keep lane discipline long enough either. Middle school football. Just a major CF.

Reactions: Baxter48
I don't think he wanted to throw Cam Taylor Britt under the bus. The kicker kicked the ball to the wrong spot and then CTB didn't keep contain. IMO, we didn't keep lane discipline long enough either. Middle school football. Just a major CF.
Agree hell you learn that in jr high football, still can hear the coach screaming at us, stay in your lanes

Offensively, Scott basically ran off O'Brien & Gebbia and a bunch of other offensive skill players.

Defensively, he didn't do that, and that is likely the reason why the defense has played as well as it did in this scheme. Most of the starting Defense is made up of Riley's players.

Except for Wandale and Mills, the offensive players Scott has brought in have not made a major impact, yet.

I'm not sure what to think about special teams, but that has been a disaster.

So, in a nutshell, I think Scott owns the offensive results.. he didn't have to run off all those players, and although he did add a lot of them when he turned the roster over, it's probably been a net loss to the offense the past 2 years.

That will have to change, as his recruits will need to step up.

We will also be losing a big chunk of Rileys players on defense, so there could be a drop off there, adding more urgency to get the offensive production going.

If we lose others to attrition, you can see this just becomes even more difficult.
O'Brien left on his own and is not a good QB. Bunch is much better than O'Brien. I've watched him several times this year. Frost did NOT run Gebbia off. He very much wanted him to stay and they had NO idea that he was remotely thinking about leaving until it happened. IF he had stayed he might have won the starting job permanently when AM went down with is injury last year. There's no more Riley players that will leave other than JD that would be missed.

O'Brien left on his own and is not a good QB. Bunch is much better than O'Brien. I've watched him several times this year. Frost did NOT run Gebbia off. He very much wanted him to stay and they had NO idea that he was remotely thinking about leaving until it happened. IF he had stayed he might have won the starting job permanently when AM went down with is injury last year. There's no more Riley players that will leave other than JD that would be missed.
I know the history, but in my opinion Frost played Gebbia with his fake QB competition, and so Gebbia played him back and left. Had Frost done a better job of personnel management, all that could have been avoided. So when I summarize it, he ran him out in a different way than most, but he still did.

Honestly, yes. I had us winning 4 games last year. I had us winning 5 games this year.

Fwiw I have us winning 5 games next year.

Though next year has a schedule that makes it impossible to have a great record, it makes it easier to have a good record. 7-5

I’ve went from giving Frost the benefit of the doubt after year 1 to he needs to prove something next year.

Miss a bowl game next year & it’s coach searching season imo.

Reactions: dand84
I was listening to a national radio show this morning. Didn't know the guys BUT the one thing they said Nebraska needs is SPEED. It was pretty obvious when the fastest guy on our defense had an angle on that kick returner and couldn't catch him. Frost is trying to address it in recruiting. The latest JUCO linebacker commit is a start. Our WR speed this year is woefully absent. I realize that the WR Hunt would have helped the speed at WR but man we have to get faster there. We weren't able to replace Stanley's production at WR and Gifford's at OLB.
Yeh Mo Washington Speed would of given us the two wins to get to 7-5 that was a huge hit to those chances. Just my observation if Mo was a big part of the game against Purdue and Iowa there is a good chance we win those two games. I get the bad teammate argument, but both ozzy and Switzer knew you make it work. Not many times do you see players with MOs Speed and talent end up playing in Lincoln ,Nebraska on a 4/7 team.

I’ve went from giving Frost the benefit of the doubt after year 1 to he needs to prove something next year.

This x10. Put up or shut up. Enough with all the talk.

He won’t be going anywhere after next season, even if he misses a bowl game. Nor the year after that I would guess.

O'Brien left on his own and is not a good QB. Bunch is much better than O'Brien.
Statistically O'Brien had basically the same results as Martinez when it came to passing.

I have a hard time believing Bunch is better than O'Brien at all let alone much better.

But if O'Brien were still here he'd be 4th string behind McCaffrey, Vedral & Martinez (in that order).

What many forget is that our very own Billy Callahan went 8-4 in his second year, after only having 2 years of flipping a roster AND installing the WCO.

I’ve always said that BC could still be our coach has he been willing to find an average DC. Yes the program was in better shape when BC too over in comparison to post Riley, but if you think about what he did in year 2, is pretty remarkable. Of course had Zac Taylor not been available, who knows what would have happened.

I’ve always said that BC could still be our coach has he been willing to find an average DC. Yes the program was in better shape when BC too over in comparison to post Riley, but if you think about what he did in year 2, is pretty remarkable. Of course had Zac Taylor not been available, who knows what would have happened.

Good point on Zac. If not we would have been stuck with Harrison Beck lol. Solich did not leave us with much either in '04. lLeft us with Joe Dailey and others. Our defensive backs were great but they all left before '05.

Two really surprising things I see are inability to execute fundamentals and fear of failure.

When Frost and his staff showed up I looked into them and Frost, Walters, Fisher and Ruud all had multiple seasons in the NFL. The other coaches had been around a lot, for instance Held had been a head coach. I just can't believe the general sloppiness, lack of attention to detail, and flat out bad decision making this staff puts on the field with all the years they have been in football. I don't understand why they can't stay on top of the team so it doesn't take entire third quarters off and other critical portions of games. I can't believe basic football functions such as snaps, kickoff and returns, punts and returns, extra points, etc. are always adventures.

I expected Frost to run a high-tempo offense and play to score every series. I have seen evidence in several games, like the one last Friday that NU sometimes plays not to lose. That is, Frost "goes into a shell". And I do not consider this offense to be "high tempo". Sometimes they go fast, but all and all they go fairly slow.

To answer the OP, I'm shocked the status of the program right now is so bad. We have good enough players to have won several more games this year with better coaching. Good coaching decisions go a long way toward players "buying in".

Excellent post. From an Iowa perspective, Frost looks to be your version of "Steve Alford/Iowa basketball" from years gone by.

Alford came to Iowa and promised huge things in his introductory press conference. He ultimately proved to be very arrogant, and never backed up his words with action. Ultimately after 8 years he left-- as he knew he would be fired a year later. He took a lesser job in the non-Power 5 (New Mexico) just to save himself.

Not saying the same will happen at Nebraska with Frost, but boy does it sure seem to have it's similarities. The biggest difference is Frost is an NU alum-- Alford wasn't at Iowa.
Frost is also like Alford in that they both do not hesitate to throw their players under the bus.

Statistically O'Brien had basically the same results as Martinez when it came to passing.

I have a hard time believing Bunch is better than O'Brien at all let alone much better.

But if O'Brien were still here he'd be 4th string behind McCaffrey, Vedral & Martinez (in that order).
Have you watched O'Brien. I did in several games. He didn't play the kind of competition that Martinez did. If you can't run the ball, you can't run Frost's offense. Bunch is WAY more athletic than Pat. O'Brien did complete almost 62% with 13 TDs and 7 ints against weaker competition than AM. RUSHING O'Brien totalled MINUS 155 for the year for a -0,3 yard per carry average. I hardly think his stats compare to Martinez in all categories. I've seen O'Brien give up multiple fumbles and sacks but I couldn't find stats for those things. Martinez missed almost a month of practice and games due to injuries.

Have you watched O'Brien. I did in several games. He didn't play the kind of competition that Martinez did. If you can't run the ball, you can't run Frost's offense. Bunch is WAY more athletic than Pat. O'Brien did complete almost 62% with 13 TDs and 7 ints against weaker competition than AM. RUSHING O'Brien totalled MINUS 155 for the year for a -0,3 yard per carry average. I hardly think his stats compare to Martinez in all categories. I've seen O'Brien give up multiple fumbles and sacks but I couldn't find stats for those things. Martinez missed almost a month of practice and games due to injuries.
1) I was very specific is stating that their passing effeciencies were essentially equal.

2) Yes, O'Brien did play against weaker opponents, but he also has a weaker supporting cast. Colorado St was picked 2nd to last in their division preseason. Not a lot of talent to work with for O'Brien.

3) I did watch O'Brien play a fair amount actually. I'm not saying he's a stud, just that he's a decent QB & not as bad as I thought you were implying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT