ADVERTISEMENT

After Frost was hired, if somebody would’ve told you that after two years...

B1G RED RULES

First Team All-Big Ten
Sep 7, 2013
That his results would be...

- 9-15
- no bowl games
- not only unable to beat Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan - but also Iowa, Purdue, and Colorado
- that he would be beaten by Indiana
- that he would be blown out by Minnesota

Would have believed it? I would have thought the person making this prediction was brain dead. Yet here we are today with exactly that.

It is beyond words to describe how unbelievably disappointing Scott Frost has been leading the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Yeah, I didn't see this coming at all. And to be fair, a certain amount is on the prior staff, but not all of it is.

I'm honestly not sure Frost is up for this job. I think the playcalling was suspect pretty much all year, and we just have really mentally weak players. They literally quit in multiple games this season (not this last one at least). Bottom line is that this roster is filled with weak, sensitive guys who give good soundbites, but just dont have the toughness to hit back when they are getting smacked in the mouth. So in February, we'll see fluff videos from Duval and hear about all the progress in the weight room. In April, we'll hear that the team has turned the corner. At Big ten media days, our guys will be well spoken. Then it will be time to play the games, and some fans will still show up optimistic. Then pads will start popping and we will fold or choke every time it gets tough.

Huskers will be the most improved 6-6 team in all of college football next season

- 9-15
- no bowl games
- not only unable to beat Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan - but also Iowa, Purdue, and Colorado

Would have believed it? I would have thought the person making this prediction was brain dead. Yet here we are today with exactly that.

It is beyond words to describe how unbelievably disappointing Scott Frost has been leading the Nebraska Cornhuskers.
Honestly, yes. I had us winning 4 games last year. I had us winning 5 games this year.

Fwiw I have us winning 5 games next year.

Reactions: bobtrav
Count me among the Frost kool aid drinkers when he was hired. The past two years have not only been disappointing, given our initial euphoria over Frost’s hiring, but also concerning. There do seem to be major issues with this team that really are the fault of the current staff. Excuses are wearing thin.
1. Play calling. After a while those swing passes become a source of bewilderment. They don’t work and are drive killers.
2. The total shitfest that is our special teams
3. Playing Martinez despite the fact we have a better QB on the bench
4. Poor recruiting at the wide receiver position.
5. Clock management
6. Choking in close games due to mental stupidity. Like late in the game, getting the ball on our 20 and then promptly committing a procedure penalty. All. Too. Typical.

ALL THAT SAID.... Frost is our coach for better or for worse. I really think he can turn us around. And I am sick of the coaching carousel. We need to get out of our heads that we can turn this around quickly. Our program has descended into absolute crap. It will take time to rebuild.

Can Frost do it? Who the hell knows? But I do know that if he can’t do it, good luck finding someone who can. Just ask Texas how the coaching carousel is working....

Frost can learn from his mistakes. I think he will. We need to support him and give him a long leash.

i was more surprised last year.
reality set in.
i got on board last spring with the silliness, but changed my tune right before the season.
saw 5 wins as a real possibility.
as i got cautious thinking about loss of stan and devine, and defensive development.
not a huge improvement, but hey, its 1 game better.
some teams that have risen up have had longer rows to hoe, so it happens.

im done with coaching carousel, too.
doesnt mean no criticism.
just gonna continue to be a fan.

Honestly, yes. I had us winning 4 games last year. I had us winning 5 games this year.

Fwiw I have us winning 5 games next year.
Congrats on not being one of the koolaid bloated Frost disciples. I was one. This year was a painful stint in rehab, so I’m off that sh*t. I agree with you on next year. Can’t see anymore than 5 wins.

I really thought Frost was the guy when he was hired. I'm now convinced we are stuck with him for at least 2 more years. The biggest problem this program has is Frost and his attitude. He has learned nothing in 2 years. His parting words in his last press conference once again threw the previous staff under the bus. All that conveys to me is Frost doesn't know what he is doing and doesn't know how to fix it.

Count me among the Frost kool aid drinkers when he was hired. The past two years have not only been disappointing, given our initial euphoria over Frost’s hiring, but also concerning. There do seem to be major issues with this team that really are the fault of the current staff. Excuses are wearing thin.
1. Play calling. After a while those swing passes become a source of bewilderment. They don’t work and are drive killers.
5. Clock management
6. Choking in close games due to mental stupidity. Like late in the game, getting the ball on our 20 and then promptly committing a procedure penalty. All. Too. Typical.

ALL THAT SAID.... Frost is our coach for better or for worse. I really think he can turn us around. And I am sick of the coaching carousel. We need to get out of our heads that we can turn this around quickly. Our program has descended into absolute crap. It will take time to rebuild.

Can Frost do it? Who the hell knows? But I do know that if he can’t do it, good luck finding someone who can. Just ask Texas how the coaching carousel is working....

Frost can learn from his mistakes. I think he will. We need to support him and give him a long leash.

Excellent post. From an Iowa perspective, Frost looks to be your version of "Steve Alford/Iowa basketball" from years gone by.

Alford came to Iowa and promised huge things in his introductory press conference. He ultimately proved to be very arrogant, and never backed up his words with action. Ultimately after 8 years he left-- as he knew he would be fired a year later. He took a lesser job in the non-Power 5 (New Mexico) just to save himself.

Not saying the same will happen at Nebraska with Frost, but boy does it sure seem to have it's similarities. The biggest difference is Frost is an NU alum-- Alford wasn't at Iowa.

5. Clock management

1. These are a staple of this offense. They aren’t going anywhere. WR play including edge blocking must improve. If we had WR that could get separation downfield, these swing passes are lethal. As it is, our WR can’t get that separation and don’t block all that well. WR play has to get better.

2. This is a direct result of lack of depth. As the walk-in resurrection takes hold, this will do nothing but improve and lead to more competition on the offense and defense and solutions to some of the issues you list in #6.

3. Not sure who you’re talking about as better on the bench. All had their moments. Maryland played 4 QB in the same game. How did that work out?

4. I think more the issue is WR development. There is some reason besides ‘talent’ that our WR outside of Spielman can’t get open downfield. If it’s fundamentals, coach it up and simplify the scheme. If it’s scheme complexity, simplify the scheme. This may help QB play too.

5. This won’t be so glaring when we’re winning by 40 but I won’t argue that in close games it’s an eyesore.

6. Another symptom of no depth. When the consequence of repeated stupidly is the bench, repeated stupidity evaporates. Until there’s depth, the bench is not a threat.

I definitely expected better than this after year 2...

He’s going to have to figure out and tweak his offensive mind set on throwing so many sideline passes and and horrendous special teams...

Defense also has issues over running gaps and LBer..

5. Clock management

You nailed it as usual. I will support him as long as he's here. He needs to grow. His staff needs to grow. Many times we look like a junior high staff. I really didn't expect that.
And it would really be nice to establish an identity that we can recruit to.

5. Clock management

Well said Pennsy.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Ok guys be honest, how many of you wanted Scott as head coach after the Riley debacle? Now I will say I’m disappointed in the season. How many of you believe coach frost is happy with the season? I wonder if he would have taken the job if he really knew what kinda of talent or lack there of we had. We had a lot of players pass the eye test but that’s as far as it went. Just like the drop dead Gorgeous hot blonde women but dumber than a brick wall. Couldn’t add 1+1. Yes I think Scott definitely needs to tweak things especially on special teams and his vaunted offense. Those are the ones that really let us down yesterday and in 4 others games that were definitely winnable

Reactions: scarletred
I definitely expected better than this after year 2...

He’s going to have to figure out and tweak his offensive mind set on throwing so many sideline passes and and horrendous special teams...

Defense also has issues over running gaps and LBer..
One of the things I will be watching closely in the coming months is how many players decide to enter the transfer portal. One or two guys who were/are buried on the depth chart would not concern me. But if we lose two or more players on the two deep, that will be a bad sign. We all just assume that Frost is a “player’s coach” and that his players love him and are loyal to him. But we will see just how true that may or may not be. It must be galling to many players to see Frost stick with Martinez simply out of arrogant pride.

Ok guys be honest, how many of you wanted Scott as head coach after the Riley debacle? Now I will say I’m disappointed in the season. How many of you believe coach frost is happy with the season? I wonder if he would have taken the job if he really knew what kinda of talent or lack there of we had. We had a lot of players pass the eye test but that’s as far as it went. Just like the drop dead Gorgeous hot blonde women but dumber than a brick wall. Couldn’t add 1+1. Yes I think Scott definitely needs to tweak things especially on special teams and his vaunted offense. Those are the ones that really let us down yesterday and in 4 others games that were definitely winnable

I wanted Frost. He could still get the job done here but he has done a pretty horrible job to date.

Talent is not the only issue. We have more talent than 9 wins in two years. How many games can we pinpoint that could have been wins had the staff not pissed down their leg? Colorado x2, Troy?....NW,Purdue. Then you throw in the Indiana, Iowa games where there was some serious head scratchers.

Long story short, Frost has quickly learned he’s not the offensive genius he thought he was coming in. And, he has surrounded himself with a bunch of coaches that have never coached at a P5 level. Talent is an issue, but not near the issue we have with the coaches in charge of the program.

More than anything, he needs to star taking accountability and stop blaming the previous regime and the players left as he eluded to once again yesterday in the post game presser.

I wasn’t overly impressed with Frost’s recruits contributions outside of Wandale. If he follows the path of development that Martinez was on this year, he will be neutered next year.

- 9-15
- no bowl games

I would've been fairly close to being correct....

It was tough to listen to Frost say the team was fragile in his presser. But is was really tough to hear this excuse in game 24 of his tenure.

Reactions: Minn1954
I wasn’t overly impressed with Frost’s recruits contributions outside of Wandale. If he follows the path of development that Martinez was on this year, he will be neutered next year.
Because the majority of them aren’t playing? You’re not impressed with Mccaffery?

Well, great players seldom turn into great head coaches, there are very few examples of that in most sports and I said that the day Frost was hired. Doesn't mean he can't be a good coach and get Nebraska back to respectability, but anyone who expected him to be great is surely disappointed at this point in his performance so far.

Frost and his staff really need to hunker down in the video room and (which they no doubt will) watch all the games and figure out the many mistakes that took place this season, the old "look in the mirror" routine so to speak. If, by the end of next season Nebraska is in the same boat (5-7, 6-6), then there should be some demands of him sorting his staff and making changes.

To be fair, no one wants to win or play better than coaches and their athletes, fans certainly wan the team to win, but often times disappointment is part of the deal. However, looking at things objectively, Nebraska had a shot to win at least four more games this year! Not saying they should have, but had a few more plays on both sides of the ball went their way, 9 wins were out there to get.

Better coaching, and continuing to get better players will start to see the tide shift, there were enough near misses/close calls to see that Nebraska isn't as far away as most of us might think. N

- 9-15
- no bowl games

Most fans clocked out at the end of 2017 knowing that a new coach was coming...but it is important to remember:

We gave up 56 ppg the last 4...had a defense in the bottom 10
We lost to Northern Illinois and nearly lost to Arkansas State
We then lost all of our scholarship qbs....

-From October 2016-October 2018 we were 6-18....all wins came against teams outside power 5 or bottom of divisions.
-Since then we are 9-8....a lot of weak wins also a lot of close losses...in fact half of those losses are one score.
-The growth has been slow...from a team that was not competitive...to a team without a qb or defense...to a team that is competitive against most teams and can win half their games...and the next step is a team that beat average teams and plays close against good teams...

It could be a lot worse...my fear was he would lose the team after Purdue...even without our main offensive contributor, only one rb, and one wr we were competitive against two top 20 teams...we could have easily been boat raced by Iowa and Wisconsin.

You have to remember that Frost is viewed nationally as the coach of the year. He is viewed universally as a great coach. It is Nebraska that is viewed negatively. We are viewed as a backwards state, with no talent, only corn fields and ignorants running around...and if Frost can't save us..nobody can. That perception matters and if he fails it won't be his fault but will hurt our chances to bring in a good successor.

Last edited:
Reactions: newAD and Baxter48

- 9-15
- no bowl games

I did not think it would be 2 years of no bowls. I will say I thought by year 8-4 was about where I thought and with the games that we pissed away that was about right.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I was a huge fan of hiring Frost.... he said all the right things (know this state, gonna be tough, weight room, Blackshirt’s, yada yada). But so far he is all talk, no action. I thought he would more his experience in Nebraska power with Oregon but obviously he is ALL Oregon philosophy. And Special teams is simply putrid- any other college coach where his unit gives up 5 returns in the year for TD’s would not be allowed back on campus, period

Reactions: ssmill777
More than anything, he needs to star taking accountability and stop blaming the previous regime and the players left as he eluded to once again yesterday in the post game presser.

Agree, From day one the Coach sets the culture, You want players to be held accountable, Well hold yourself to a higher standard and quit playing the blame game. Roll up your sleeves, Work your ass off and fix it, Quit blaming others for why it’s not getting fixed.

I was listening to a national radio show this morning. Didn't know the guys BUT the one thing they said Nebraska needs is SPEED. It was pretty obvious when the fastest guy on our defense had an angle on that kick returner and couldn't catch him. Frost is trying to address it in recruiting. The latest JUCO linebacker commit is a start. Our WR speed this year is woefully absent. I realize that the WR Hunt would have helped the speed at WR but man we have to get faster there. We weren't able to replace Stanley's production at WR and Gifford's at OLB.

Reactions: newAD
Yeah, I didn't see this coming at all. And to be fair, a certain amount is on the prior staff, but not all of it is.

I'm honestly not sure Frost is up for this job. I think the playcalling was suspect pretty much all year, and we just have really mentally weak players. They literally quit in multiple games this season (not this last one at least). Bottom line is that this roster is filled with weak, sensitive guys who give good soundbites, but just dont have the toughness to hit back when they are getting smacked in the mouth. So in February, we'll see fluff videos from Duval and hear about all the progress in the weight room. In April, we'll hear that the team has turned the corner. At Big ten media days, our guys will be well spoken. Then it will be time to play the games, and some fans will still show up optimistic. Then pads will start popping and we will fold or choke every time it gets tough.

:(:(:(

I was completely all in on Frost. I thought for sure he would turn things around by creating a hard-nosed, tough team that would fly to the ball on defense, create turnovers, and generated negative plays. I thought he would find a way to mix some of old school NEB offense with what he is doing with the spread option.

I thought he would produce a well-coached team that didn't make a lot of mental errors or make mistakes. If we got beat, it would be on talent. I thought we would have a team of players that would run through walls for Frost and that he would have their backs no matter what and get every last ounce out of a lot of players that were crying out for better coaching.

I thought we would win 6 last year and 6 this year. I made those predictions before the season to adjust for how tough the B1G is and a new staff adjusting to it.

Staying positives, I believe there are flashes of what we could be. We've had a lot of one possession games that we've lost and we've been competitive. That is what I have to hang my hat on. I don't think the staff is a problem or at least as big a problem as Frost himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT