ADVERTISEMENT

Adrian Martinez

Riled Up

Walk On
Oct 13, 2019
The guy had a horrible year last year. I believe he put on 20 lbs of muscle before the season, and had off the field lady issues. Does he put it behind him, or does he fluster again and fall apart?

I think there are huge questions. How was this off season any more conducive for him, or any one really, to improve from last year?

Last edited:
It's always hard to figure out such things before the season gets underway. But it's even tougher this year with no Spring Game. So we won't know until Fall Practice at the earliest (if of course that happens).

This, again?
200.gif

We flame Martinez a lot, and it's partially justified because we're observant fans, but he really wasn't that bad even in what we hope was a down year for him.

Completion Percentage/Yards per Attempt/INT/Passing Efficiency Rating (QB - Year)
:

56.1/7.7/7/136.6 (Connor Cook - Senior)
61.9/7.5/10/133.1 (Tom Brady - Junior)
59.4/7.4/7/131.2 (Nathan Stanley - Senior)
59.4/7.8/9/130.8 (2AM - Sophomore)
58.4/6.8/14/127.5 (Russell Wilson - Junior)
56.3/7.3/8/126.5 (Taylor Martinez - Sophomore)
56.5/6.4/10/122.3 (C.J. Beathard - Senior)

Martinez is the youngest guy (T-Magic was a RS sophomore) on the list above and his terrible 2nd year ranks like this in comparison (best to worst):

T-3rd/1st/4th/4th

Martinez's good freshman year versus the guys above during their best year (based on PEF) looks like this:

72.8/10.3/4/191.8 (Russell Wilson - Senior)
58.1/8.8/8/149.4 (Connor Cook - Junior)
62.0/7.8/12/141.6 (Taylor Martinez - Junior)
61.6/7.8/5/139.5 (C.J. Beathard - Junior)
64.6/7.5/8/139.5 (2AM - Freshman)
61.0/7.5/6/138.0 (Tom Brady - Senior)
59.3/7.2/10/136.5 (Nathan Stanley - Junior)

Martinez's ranks as a true freshman who didn't play his senior year of high school against the players above during their most efficient year in college:

2nd/T-5th/T-4th/T-4th

I don't know what 2AM will become, and I'm not implying he'll be Tom Brady or have an all-time great season like Russell Wilson did as a senior in college, but Nebraska could be in a much, much worse spot at the QB position even if Martinez has peaked.

We flame Martinez a lot, and it's partially justified because we're observant fans, but he really wasn't that bad even in what we hope was a down year for him.

Completion Percentage/Yards per Attempt/INT/Passing Efficiency Rating (QB - Year)
:

56.1/7.7/7/136.6 (Connor Cook - Senior)
61.9/7.5/10/133.1 (Tom Brady - Junior)
59.4/7.4/7/131.2 (Nathan Stanley - Senior)
59.4/7.8/9/130.8 (2AM - Sophomore)
58.4/6.8/14/127.5 (Russell Wilson - Junior)
56.3/7.3/8/126.5 (Taylor Martinez - Sophomore)
56.5/6.4/10/122.3 (C.J. Beathard - Senior)

Martinez is the youngest guy (T-Magic was a RS sophomore) on the list above and his terrible 2nd year ranks like this in comparison (best to worst):

T-3rd/1st/4th/4th

Martinez's good freshman year versus the guys above during their best year (based on PEF) looks like this:

72.8/10.3/4/191.8 (Russell Wilson - Senior)
58.1/8.8/8/149.4 (Connor Cook - Junior)
62.0/7.8/12/141.6 (Taylor Martinez - Junior)
61.6/7.8/5/139.5 (C.J. Beathard - Junior)
64.6/7.5/8/139.5 (2AM - Freshman)
61.0/7.5/6/138.0 (Tom Brady - Senior)
59.3/7.2/10/136.5 (Nathan Stanley - Junior)

Martinez's ranks as a true freshman who didn't play his senior year of high school against the players above during their most efficient year in college:

2nd/T-5th/T-4th/T-4th

I don't know what 2AM will become, and I'm not implying he'll be Tom Brady or have an all-time great season like Russell Wilson did as a senior in college, but Nebraska could be in a much, much worse spot at the QB position even if Martinez has peaked.

If he's the starter all year and plays like he did last year, we will be at about 5 wins again.

If he's the starter all year and plays like he did last year, we will be at about 5 wins again.

Ceteris paribus? Absolutely.

With all of the other factors included changing (WR talent/depth, offensive line growth, another year in the system for the other offensive players, a functional special teams unit, and a defense that's improved for two straight years, etc.)? I'm not so sure if Nebraska doesn't find a couple more wins with Martinez putting up similar numbers if those things improve as anticipated.

I'm being presumptuous in assuming that the new WRs can pick up the offense, that key players stay healthy, and that Nebraska is improving at least as fast as anyone they play, of course.

I'm also assuming that the numbers posted above, which did NOT include TDs by design, will see more TDs with better talent around him as the other QBs I listed in my earlier post with similar numbers averaged 19 TDs in their worst seasons (Martinez threw for only 10). 2AM has to shoulder that blame, but the odds are that if he has the same completion rate, yards per attempt, interception number, and a similar passing efficiency rating, his TDs will rise with improved talent around him...at least based on the law of averages of the other guys I listed who posted similar numbers.

Speaking of averages, the average W/L record for the other QBs listed was 10-4 during their worst year, which is probably the most telling stat regarding the overall lack of talent around 2AM last year and why I am assuming his TDs, and the wins, would go up with similar numbers on a more talented team (as we all assume the 2020 Nebraska one will be).

Nonetheless, I'm hoping for an improved 2AM myself. The beauty of it is is that it looks like we'll at least get to find out. GBR!

Last edited:
I'll give the kid another chance. However, his most glaring stat, TD to INT ratio (10-9), was horrible. I wish they had a stat for mental mistakes, because he had plenty of them. If he doesn't toughen up and get his head in the game, then find another QB that will.

Hey Riled, I believe you're a huge D-bag that has always had problems with the ladies. Of course my "belief" is at least based on some factual evidence i.e. your post.
I mean, according to most Husker fans, you're a d-bag if you don't blindly suck off Scott Frost and scream we are going 10-2 every year.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
The guy had a horrible year last year. I believe he put on 20 lbs of muscle before the season, and had off the field lady issues. Does he put it behind him, or does he fluster again and fall apart?

Ill be honest i have no clue what to think about A Martinez this year. Last year i thought he take a step and be one of the best QBs in the country. Instead he took a step back and looked like a shadow of him old self.

So with that being said im completely NOT sure how he will do this year. Hoping like hell he becomes what i thought he could but being honest i wont be suprised either way.

What i do like and think is we have two guys behind him who might be able to hold it down if he struggles. Both coulf definitely use some S and C but skill wise i think they should be fine.

Holla

The only stat that matters to me from the QB is winning percentage. Leadership is the most important trait as far as I'm concerned, and this is what we have been lacking on the team. I would feel much better about him if he could more consistently rise up to meet challenges as they are presented throughout the games/season, but unfortunately most of the time he doesn't. I think those little small failures add up, and also rub off on the rest of the team, and then taken overall, things become an actual liability. That is where I am at with it. Liability to everything that we were trying to do last year. Now, it's possible that those things could change, but I find the odds of that happening unlikely.

The only stat that matters to me from the QB is winning percentage. Leadership is the most important trait as far as I'm concerned, and this is what we have been lacking on the team. I would feel much better about him if he could more consistently rise up to meet challenges as they are presented throughout the games/season, but unfortunately most of the time he doesn't. I think those little small failures add up, and also rub off on the rest of the team, and then taken overall, things become an actual liability. That is where I am at with it. Liability to everything that we were trying to do last year. Now, it's possible that those things could change, but I find the odds of that happening unlikely.

This. I don't care about stats. He didn't find ways to win and that concerns me greatly. The great ones find a way to win.

This. I don't care about stats. He didn't find ways to win and that concerns me greatly. The great ones find a way to win.

Well, a smash-mouth OLine, a stud RB, and great wrs everywhere would be a huge, HUGE factor in wins for AMart or any other qb.

Maybe a great defense would help to? How about a decent kicking game? Our center hikes flying all over the place probably didn't help much either?

Well, a smash-mouth OLine, a stud RB, and great wrs everywhere would be a huge, HUGE factor in wins for AMart or any other qb.

Maybe a great defense would help to? How about a decent kicking game? Our center hikes flying all over the place probably didn't help much either?

Zac Lee was the starting QB on a Nebraska team that went 10-4 and played for a CC. Sure, he had a worse completion percentage, fewer yards per attempt, more interceptions, and a worse PFE than 2AM did last year...but dang it, if that guy just ain't a winner....of course he had the #1 defense in the nation and arguably the best place kicker in school history on that team, but 10-4 is 10-4....

I can't get there, boys. I'm all about what the product is, but I want to know why the product is what it is, too.

Zac Lee was the starting QB on a Nebraska team that went 10-4 and played for a CC. Sure, he had a worse completion percentage, fewer yards per attempt, more interceptions, and a worse PFE than 2AM did last year...but dang it, if that guy just ain't a winner....of course he had the #1 defense in the nation and arguably the best place kicker in school history on that team, but 10-4 is 10-4....

I can't get there, boys. I'm all about what the product is, but I want to know why the product is what it is, too.
OMG, you're just killing the AM haters. I almost have to look away. LOL

And what a bum that Pat Mahones was a Texas Tech, a real QB would have won more games.

He will only be as good as his receivers. Can they get open, do they make the same read as the QB. Can he trust them and develop a rhythm with them.

Then add in o line play, can they keep him clean, are the snaps good. And, can we run the ball and be playing for 2nd and 5 or less, instead of 7 or 8 yards we hardest year.

If this doesn't happen, then who in the QB room can improvise the best?

If the OL and wide receivers perform like they did last year's, five wins might be a pipe dream. The experiment at center was a calculated risk on Frost's part that Jurgens would be best long term for the team. I'm sure Frost didn't count on the center position being that poor. There was an article with Greg Austin where he admitted that he would ask Jurgens what he saw when he came to the sidelines and he got no response. He would ask other linemen what that line calls were and they would say there wasn't one. Austin went on to say Cam was far more athletic then the other centers and after things slowed down for him that he started to turn out what they hoped for. Guys, football is a team game. There were a lot of problems last year. I'm worried about wr play this year. We missed Stanley last year and I'm sure the QB did too.

If the OL and wide receivers perform like they did last year's, five wins might be a pipe dream. The experiment at center was a calculated risk on Frost's part that Jurgens would be best long term for the team. I'm sure Frost didn't count on the center position being that poor. There was an article with Greg Austin where he admitted that he would ask Jurgens what he saw when he came to the sidelines and he got no response. He would ask other linemen what that line calls were and they would say there wasn't one. Austin went on to say Cam was far more athletic then the other centers and after things slowed down for him that he started to turn out what they hoped for. Guys, football is a team game. There were a lot of problems last year. I'm worried about wr play this year. We missed Stanley last year and I'm sure the QB did too.

Of course it’s a team game, and I’m not suggesting it was totally on him. Lots of places were not good, and Martinez was one of them. He made a lot of unforced errors. If he does the same this year, we will be at about 5 wins again.

Of course it’s a team game, and I’m not suggesting it was totally on him. Lots of places were not good, and Martinez was one of them. He made a lot of unforced errors. If he does the same this year, we will be at about 5 wins again.
Or maybe worse. Martinez needs to be better. Where I draw the line is that for every example of poor play or “excuses” I also see hard evidence that he can be an amazing player. Sooner or later you gotta fish or cut bait, but I hope he flourishes because I see a high ceiling.

Or, maybe he’ll suck.

Zac was not a liability to his team like Adrian was. Zac won more games too. Pretty easy to see that Zac > Adrian.

OMG, you're just killing the AM haters. I almost have to look away. LOL

I'm not a AM2 hater. However, wins are way more important that those stats. I expected better last year and it's time for AM2 & HCSF to win. Enough of the excuses. If we continue to falter with AM2 under center then I hope that Frost will put in McCaffrey. I'd hate to have to replace our head coach again.

I'm not a AM2 hater. However, wins are way more important that those stats. I expected better last year and it's time for AM2 & HCSF to win. Enough of the excuses. If we continue to falter with AM2 under center then I hope that Frost will put in McCaffrey. I'd hate to have to replace our head coach again.

Those stats put Martinez in line with QBs who won an average of 10 games a year putting up nearly identical numbers.

I know it's standard to assign a team stat, like wins and losses, to a QB, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's ultimately a team stat.

And yet he didn't win 10 games. He won 5. We could have done better than that. I put that on HCSF. If AM2 delivers the same he should be benched.
Perhaps we didn't win 10 games because of the strength, or lack thereof, of a lot of other parts of the team. If you have a QB who puts up numbers like winning QBs have historically you have to ask yourself why the team wasn't better. Let me rephrase that, you don't have to ask yourself, but a rational person asks him or herself.

Perhaps we didn't win 10 games because of the strength, or lack thereof, of a lot of other parts of the team. If you have a QB who puts up numbers like winning QBs have historically you have to ask yourself why the team wasn't better. Let me rephrase that, you don't have to ask yourself, but a rational person asks him or herself.

I'm telling you that I believe that AM2 was part of the problem. Hopefully, he'll play better this year, along with the rest of the team.

Reactions: TFrazier
And yet he didn't win 10 games. He won 5. We could have done better than that. I put that on HCSF. If AM2 delivers the same he should be benched.
convenient to cut out the point of the post to fit your butthurt narrative.

W-L is a team stat. you're right to assign blame to Coach Frost. you're not so right to pin each loss on Martinez.

could he have played better? of course. does he play defense/special teams? no. did those facets, along with the other 10 offensive players, have as much or more to do with each W/L as Martinez? absolutely.

nobody's making excuses. everyone wants and expects to win. for the first time at NU, Martinez has legit competition for snaps. Martinez is a tough kid, and I'm extremely confident we don't win even the 9 games over the past 2 years we did without him.

I am excited to see if he answers the bell this year or if it's next man up time.

I think it’s fine to say AM looked off last year and that if he played better we would have won more.
I also feel like he isn’t the only reason we won only 5 games.

If he looks like he did last year, let someone else play. At the very least, if things don’t change under a different QB, we will know it’s more than just the QB.

convenient to cut out the point of the post to fit your butthurt narrative.

W-L is a team stat. you're right to assign blame to Coach Frost. you're not so right to pin each loss on Martinez.

could he have played better? of course. does he play defense/special teams? no. did those facets, along with the other 10 offensive players, have as much or more to do with each W/L as Martinez? absolutely.

nobody's making excuses. everyone wants and expects to win. for the first time at NU, Martinez has legit competition for snaps. Martinez is a tough kid, and I'm extremely confident we don't win even the 9 games over the past 2 years we did without him.

I am excited to see if he answers the bell this year or if it's next man up time.

I'm not butthurt. You can save that talk for someone who is trolling. I'm a fan like everyone else. I see the product and have my own opinion.

I'm telling you that I believe that AM2 was part of the problem. Hopefully, he'll play better this year, along with the rest of the team.
He definitely wasn't perfect, but he isn't someone who belongs on the trash heap either.

The ints were all killers, the out of bounds against Iowa was probably the second biggest play in the game, taking huge sacks against Wisky and Colorado crushed drives, failing to convert in the redzone against Purdue, too. These things are put on him because he's the guy holding the ball almost every play, but he can't play 25 spots at once. I'm not saying he's a perfect player, but I am explicitly saying that he played well enough to be the starting QB on a very good team last year and his numbers are representative of that.

ADVERTISEMENT