ADVERTISEMENT

Adrian Martinez?

starhusker

Walk On
Dec 2, 2004
Do you see Adrian Martinez getting the media hype in a few yrs like Kyler Murray is getting this yr (2019) that is most likely to be selected number 1 by the Arizona Cardinals? Arm strength and running speed compared to Kyler. Maybe next year's draft Trevor Lawrence will definitely get the hype.

Do you see Adrian Martinez getting the media hype in a few yrs like Kyler Murray is getting this yr (2019) that is most likely to be selected number 1 by the Arizona Cardinals? Arm strength and running speed compared to Kyler. Maybe next year's draft Trevor Lawrence will definitely get the hype.

Lawrence and Martinez were both true freshman last year so neither will get any draft hype for next years draft. Probably top two qbs in the 21 draft though. Martinez will have to continue to improve but he probably has the most upside of any qb based off his running ability.

Reactions: saluno22
Loooonnnnnggggggg way to go ...
Yes. He has potential. But pump the breaks. His speed is not even close to Murray. His arm at this point in time is average. He was an 18 year old who showed poise beyond his years. Kind of like a Tommie Frazier type. I think he ran a high 4.7 in high-school and his arm at this point is average. He is smart and knows the offense. To compare him to the possible number one pick in the draft is crazy. He has a long ways to go. Give him time and let the kid play before we talk about future first round draft pick. Right now, he is not even close. In a couple more years, we can talk. The kid played good as an 18 year old freshman with less than a stellar cast. That is where he stands.

Last edited:
Yes. He has potential. But pump the breaks. His speed is not even close to Murray. His arm at this point in time is average. He was an 18 year old who showed poise beyond his years. Kind of like a Tommie Frazier type. I think he ran a high 4.7 in high-school and his arm at this point is average. He is smart and knows the offense. To compare him to the possible number one pick in the draft is crazy. He has a long ways to go. Give him time and let the kid play before we talk about future first round draft pick. Right now, he is not even close. In a couple more years in, we can talk. The kid played good as an 18 year old freshman with less than a stellar cast. That is where he stands.
Perfectly stated

He's a smooth runner with good instincts, but not even close to a burner like T Magic. Murray has wiggle and top end speed. Give AM some time...he has good poise and with improved decision making, could play on Sundays.

Reactions: Chuck003
Lawrence and Martinez were both true freshman last year so neither will get any draft hype for next years draft. Probably top two qbs in the 21 draft though. Martinez will have to continue to improve but he probably has the most upside of any qb based off his running ability.

I believe Lawrence would be the number 1 QB drafted if he were allowed to enter the draft. AM is damn good but right now I’m not sure he gets drafted if he is in the this years draft

Last edited:
I’m more with Jeans than I am with Chuck on this one.

I know that Martinez isn’t there yet, but he was a true freshman. He has potential, and I believe he will only get better. Kyler Murray better? That remains to be seen. But he is on his way to seeing success, even on sundays, as long as his trajectory continues to trend up.

Reactions: Chuck003
Tim Tebow is a better comparison than Kyler Murray and Tebow had an ok career at Florida. Didn’t do too bad as a pro and won a few big games. Martinez obviously has a higher NFL ceiling if he can develop NFL level mechanics.

Tebow at combine: 6’3 236lbs 4.71 40
Ranked high in 3 cone for his size so did have some suddenness and explosion without top end speed.

Reactions: otismotis08
Tim Tebow is a better comparison than Kyler Murray and Tebow had an ok career at Florida. Didn’t do too bad as a pro and won a few big games. Martinez obviously has a higher NFL ceiling if he can develop NFL level mechanics.

Ranked high in 3 cone for his size so did have some suddenness and explosion without top end speed.
Good comparison.

I dont see ANYTHING about his game that compares to Tebow. Maybe its me but im missing it all together.

Holla

I think Murray's overrated. He benefits a lot from Oklahoma's offense and having the best offensive line in the country. A lot of Oklahoma's games were very close and they easily could have ended up an 8-4 or worse type of team. Not to mention his stupid baseball sliding is what cost them the game against Texas in the regular season and made other games closer than they should have because he didn't get the first down they needed.

How about this:
Adrian Martinez is Adrian Martinez and Im damn glad to have him. Because hes damn good now and still has room for improvement.

If you dont agree it means you secretly arent a fan and are hoping he fails.
Its that simple.

I didnt say hes a future first round pick. He doesnt need compared to anyone else, because he is himself. I dont know if he'll ever get a heisman invite or not.

But I do know Im glad hes our QB. You should be, too.
Damn.

I think Murray's overrated. He benefits a lot from Oklahoma's offense and having the best offensive line in the country. A lot of Oklahoma's games were very close and they easily could have ended up an 8-4 or worse type of team. Not to mention his stupid baseball sliding is what cost them the game against Texas in the regular season and made other games closer than they should have because he didn't get the first down they needed.
If he doesnt make it in the pros, its a height thing. Hes the real deal athletically and can make reads.

As for the sliding, thats coaching. Sliding is awkward and is a forced movement and not a natural one. Its difficult to time it correctly and he was being coached to do it.

The OP invited comparisons to the possible #1 overall pick in the NFL draft and also mentioned Trevor Lawrence in the same message. When that is the jumping off point it invites critical critiques.

The same thing happened last year when someone asked if Ben Stille was going to be the next Grant Wistrom

The OP invited comparisons to the possible #1 overall pick in the NFL draft and also mentioned Trevor Lawrence in the same message. When that is the jumping off point it invites critical critiques.

The same thing happened last year when someone asked if Ben Stille was going to be the next Grant Wistrom
Agreed. My post above goes both ways.
Those trying to compare him to recent studs need to start being realistic and understand he is himself and no one else and has room for improvement.
Those being nothing but critical need to be realistic and understand that he is himself and a damn good QB to have, and we should be excited about him.

GO BIG RED, after all.

Other than Trevor Lawrence, I wouldn't trade Martinez for any other QB in the country.

For our offense hes right at the top of the list. Lawrence maybe on another level than just about all QBs as far as being a NFL QB/prospect. But for our offense considering his youth and what we have seen so far id be hard pressed picking one over him.

Holla

Kid has 4 wins and we're shipping him first overall in the draft huh?

I'm very happy with AM's season for a true freshman. He was better than I expected.

Let's see him continue to improve and make a bowl game, maybe a CCG before we worry about slapping a Heisman in his hand and paying him millions.

I mean, He's aight...

I'm very happy with AM's season for a true freshman. He was better than I expected.

Let's see him continue to improve and make a bowl game, maybe a CCG before we worry about slapping a Heisman in his hand and paying him millions.

Talk to the defense then.

Yes. He has potential. But pump the breaks. His speed is not even close to Murray. His arm at this point in time is average. He was an 18 year old who showed poise beyond his years. Kind of like a Tommie Frazier type. I think he ran a high 4.7 in high-school and his arm at this point is average. He is smart and knows the offense. To compare him to the possible number one pick in the draft is crazy. He has a long ways to go. Give him time and let the kid play before we talk about future first round draft pick. Right now, he is not even close. In a couple more years, we can talk. The kid played good as an 18 year old freshman with less than a stellar cast. That is where he stands.

Average ARM??? A true freshman that passed for just 66% in the BIG10 with OUR oline. I’d say he’s way above AVERAGE. He can make all the throws. I do agree, the OP should hold off on the heisman type push or top 3 draft talk. But to be fair, he was only asking our opinions. Martinez is already one of the best QBs in the BIG10 and he was only a freshman.

Last edited:

TheBeav...you never seem to surprise me. You always go to the EXTREME. The OP only asked for opinions. I didn’t see one person pumping the Heisman talk. Like a few have said, it’s perfectly fine to admit Martinez is good and it appears that’s all any Husker fan does.

Reactions: jeans15
martinez 1 was like a cheeta, ran fast in a straight line, but after he got injured slowed down a bit.
martinez 2 is more like a deer out of the headlights, has good cuts, and didn't seem to loose a lot after the obeast cu player, tried to injure him. martinez 2 can pass too, which is a key element.

So having an extremely marginal defense is AM's problem that he needs to fix. He needs to fix that OLine too. Oh yeah, can't forget punt returns also. Sure, makes sense to me!

But of course he'll never be anywhere close to being as great as your super hero Gebbia. I guess we'll just have to hope for the best.

ADVERTISEMENT