ADVERTISEMENT

Adrian Martinez

LHNEAGLE

Apr 16, 2016
With a year under his belt, will Adrian be given more freedom this year to make checks at the line of scrimmage? I can't remember if Milton was making a lot of checks in Frost's final year at UCF.

They don’t use traditional checks, by the QB. We get to the line, get the call from the sideline and go. It is much more important for him to make the correct read in the zone reads and RPO’s, the coaches can make the checks.

No. One of the reasons young QBs can get on the field nowadays is they've taken all the play calling responsibilities away from the quarterback. Teams will often do hard counts to get the defense to jump into their shell then the OC will signal in a new play. The Peyton Manning types who are OCs on the field are a dying breed. Back in the day QBs had to know every positions job on every play. Now they are just like any other position they just need to make good reads and they can be very successful.

With a year under his belt, will Adrian be given more freedom this year to make checks at the line of scrimmage? I can't remember if Milton was making a lot of checks in Frost's final year at UCF.
Not sure about checks, but Milton went from an average QB year 1 to a Heisman type QB year 2. Martinez had a better year 1 than Milton I believe. He could be in for a monster year. If he is not in the Heisman chatter this year or next I will be shocked.

Last edited:
Well just keep in mind that Frost has said in this off season that he thought Adrian was further ahead of Milton and Mariota at the same points in their careers. Think about that.

Some of Adrian’s weakest moments last year came from not being super accurate with the deep ball.
If his completion% on the deep pass improves along with better decision making, both of which are almost guaranteed to happen, then look out. Adrian could be setting up for a monster year. WR’s and OL need to step up (we need reliable hands and time to throw). With the speed we can get on the field, guys should be getting open and he’ll just need to find them. Time to start making all those explosive plays Frost’s system is known for.

This year the huskers have more depth at quarterback and I think that the playbook will open more for Adrian. Year 2 at UCF under Frost was a bigtime jump expect the same this year.

Some of Adrian’s weakest moments last year came from not being super accurate with the deep ball.
If his completion% on the deep pass improves along with better decision making, both of which are almost guaranteed to happen, then look out. Adrian could be setting up for a monster year. WR’s and OL need to step up (we need reliable hands and time to throw). With the speed we can get on the field, guys should be getting open and he’ll just need to find them. Time to start making all those explosive plays Frost’s system is known for.

Huh?

His biggest plays came from deep ball plays. It's the reason he is a 65% passer.

AM was already making the majority of all of the checks at the LOS the last few games of the season.

Huh?

His biggest plays came from deep ball plays. It's the reason he is a 65% passer.

I just remember a handful of missed opportunities that I think become lessened going forward.
I don’t have the passing chart breakdown, but the link below has a nice summary showing indicators that his lowest national rankings come from yards per pass play, TDs, and plays over 20 yards (only categories ranked past 50). There are a lot of swing passes and checkdowns that increase the overall completion%.
I think there is untapped potential for more explosive plays.

https://hailvarsity.com/s/5585/a-look-at-adrian-martinezs-first-year-at-nebraska

They don’t use traditional checks, by the QB. We get to the line, get the call from the sideline and go. It is much more important for him to make the correct read in the zone reads and RPO’s, the coaches can make the checks.

When Oregon was at their peak, they got to the line and snapped it. None of this looking over to the coaching staff for 20 seconds while the linemen try not to have a procedure penalty. Don't know how they did it but they were legit fast to get the play off.

When Oregon was at their peak, they got to the line and snapped it. None of this looking over to the coaching staff for 20 seconds while the linemen try not to have a procedure penalty. Don't know how they did it but they were legit fast to get the play off.
They were lightening fast. I think we will go that fast at times, but Frost likes to do a lot of shifts and motions that slow things down a little more than Chip’s offense.

They were lightening fast. I think we will go that fast at times, but Frost likes to do a lot of shifts and motions that slow things down a little more than Chip’s offense.
When Chip was moving like that, he had Mariotta who was an exceptionally smart guy in addition to his physical skill and experience.

I just remember a handful of missed opportunities that I think become lessened going forward.
I don’t have the passing chart breakdown, but the link below has a nice summary showing indicators that his lowest national rankings come from yards per pass play, TDs, and plays over 20 yards (only categories ranked past 50). There are a lot of swing passes and checkdowns that increase the overall completion%.
I think there is untapped potential for more explosive plays.

https://hailvarsity.com/s/5585/a-look-at-adrian-martinezs-first-year-at-nebraska

Those are technique issues. He will get those under control. The main issues I saw with Martinez were freshman mistakes and touch passes. With the speed we are bringing in, he may not need a lot of touch.

Reactions: otismotis08

No, No he will not!! End of discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT