ADVERTISEMENT

Adrian Martinez will start @OSU

Not exactly a vote of confidence for AM. Hopefully he's just using this as a motivation factor for AM.

I think this is a smart move by Frost. If both QB's are really close you start with the guy who has the most experience. Especially since we are starting on the road at OSU. However, it does not take a rocket scientist to see that Frost is signaling that Luke had the better camp and if Martinez does not deliver he will lose the job.

That quote from Frost is interesting on a number of levels. Experience matters, however, sending a message that Luke had the better fall camp is sending a message to your starting QB
I think both can be productive on the field. Let it rip Adrian, let's go
GBR
Agree, seems like a “don’t rest on your laurels” because we’ll put him in nudge.

There was this too...

Makes me wonder if that’s why he lacked motivation in every way last season. If it is, at this level you should be able to motivate yourself.
Stay on him Luke, either make him better or take it.

Reactions: headcard
I really don't care. The issue of who starts between AM and LM is about 4th on the list of issues that will decide whether we win or lose. Run blocking, rush defense, kicking, etc. If we're good at those things we can win with either QB. If we're bad at them as usual we wouldn't win with Mahomes at QB.

I wonder which player the team responds to better, from a gut perspective. It's hard for them to come out and publicly say I like this guy or I like that guy, until one of them falters, in which case the shyness evaporates. Anyway, I like Frost's approach. This is his year to take a big step forward. The Covid has taken the spotlight off him and his preparations. I hope he's amped up to have a breakout year.

I hope to see Martinez hit open WR in stride, show improved accuracy in the pocket, and stretch drives using his feet... not ducking out 2-3 yards before a first down because of possible contact, like last season.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
I wonder which player the team responds to better, from a gut perspective. It's hard for them to come out and publicly say I like this guy or I like that guy, until one of them falters, in which case the shyness evaporates. Anyway, I like Frost's approach. This is his year to take a big step forward. The Covid has taken the spotlight off him and his preparations. I hope he's amped up to have a breakout year.
Man I hope Nikki doesn't see this post, he will have some theories on who the team will respond to better.

There was this too...

Makes me wonder if that’s why he lacked motivation in every way last season. If it is, at this level you should be able to motivate yourself.
Stay on him Luke, either make him better or take it.

Sad he needs to have someone threaten to take his job for him to be motivated to be better. Not a good leader if true.

Huge Frost fan, but I think how he handled AM last year was a big mistake. Said his starting position was untouchable from the beginning and also put a ton of pressure on his shoulders to perform by how highly he praised him. I don't think it's ever a good thing for a starter to think that he will be the starter no matter what. I think you praise a player just enough to give him confidence, but temper your praise to the public and not set the public expectation so high it is almost impossible for the player to reach.

I doubt you hear Frost speak that glowingly of a current player ever again.

AM is mentally the exact opposite of Luke. AM had his mom die at a very impressionable age, was injured for most of high school and then moved 1500 miles away from home, and immediately became a QB of a storied college program trying to rebuild from its lowest point in its history. Don't forget the fact he didn't have a decent oline or more than one WR on the roster who could get open...oh and his star RB couldn't stay on the field either. Luke comes from a very close family of professional level athletes, and as a consequence has all of the confidence in the world and has no doubts he will succeed. The tards that ignore the trauma that AM has gone through and the maturity he has shown in serving as QB the last two years need a slap in the face. Part of me wants AM to get replaced and then transfer closer to home because we don't deserve him. The reality is going with luke is smarter because we get him longer but AM has been a warrior and I wish he had a chance to redshirt and develop before becoming the sacrificial lamb.

Huge Frost fan, but I think how he handled AM last year was a big mistake. Said his starting position was untouchable from the beginning and also put a ton of pressure on his shoulders to perform by how highly he praised him. I don't think it's ever a good thing for a starter to think that he will be the starter no matter what. I think you praise a player just enough to give him confidence, but temper your praise to the public and not set the public expectation so high it is almost impossible for the player to reach.

I doubt you hear Frost speak that glowingly of a current player ever again.
Frost definitely needs to get much better as a head coach. Just hoping we are bringing in the right players to cover as he grows into it.

AM is mentally the exact opposite of Luke. AM had his mom die at a very impressionable age, was injured for most of high school and then moved 1500 miles away from home, and immediately became a QB of a storied college program trying to rebuild from its lowest point in its history. Don't forget the fact he didn't have a decent oline or more than one WR on the roster who could get open...oh and his star RB couldn't stay on the field either. Luke comes from a very close family of professional level athletes, and as a consequence has all of the confidence in the world and has no doubts he will succeed. The tards that ignore the trauma that AM has gone through and the maturity he has shown in serving as QB the last two years need a slap in the face. Part of me wants AM to get replaced and then transfer closer to home because we don't deserve him. The reality is going with luke is smarter because we get him longer but AM has been a warrior and I wish he had a chance to redshirt and develop before becoming the sacrificial lamb.
The drama. Is someone saying he isn’t a good kid? What, everyone should Just shut the hell up when he wasn’t good? And you don’t think AM is confident? He apparently admitted that he loafed it last year, but don’t be critical? This ain’t intramurals brother.

With as ugly as the first game will be I guarantee Luke sees plenty of action in game 1.

ADVERTISEMENT