Adrian Martinez named a top CFB 'bounce-back' candidate for 2020

huskerssalts

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 6, 2014
Beatrice Nebraska

ByDEAN STRAKA
5 hours ago

The Nebraska Cornhuskers will go as far as their defense and quarterback Adrian Martinez takes them this season, and third-year coach Scott Frost expects his signal-caller to have his best campaign thus far thanks to a renewed focus on improvement. And frankly, Martinez' head coach in Lincoln isn't the only one who is counting on the quarterback to have a big season in 2020 after an underwhelming year in 2019. The CBS Sports college football staff recently made picks for the top bounce-back players this coming season, and David Cobb went with the Huskers' signal-caller.

"Ultimately, the frustrations of 2019 should be behind him now, and with new offensive coordinator Matt Lubick arriving to provide the entire unit with a fresh start, Martinez is poised for a significant resurgence." Cobb wrote. "He is too talented, and there is too much returning-talent on this Nebraska team for the Cornhuskers to languish offensively again."

Entering his sophomore season last fall, Martinez rested on his laurels a bit as a Heisman candidate and players expected to lead Nebraska into Big Ten title contention. That didn't happen. Martinez was inconsistent and battled through injuries behind an under-performing offensive line, and the Huskers slipped to a 5-7 finish.

“I think it’s just his mindset and his approach,” Frost said this week, according to the Lincoln Journal Star. “He came in his first year and had to compete for that spot, and he looked like a competitor every single day in practice. Year 2, because of the situation, I think he was able to put it in cruise control a little more, and I think that showed up on the field a little bit.

Looking ahead to the 2020 season, Nebraska's offense will be without J.D. Spielman -- the team's leading receiver from 2019 -- after Spielman entered the transfer portal earlier this year, but Martinez will still have receiving talent to work with. Late last year, Nebraska made a key addition to its receiving corps when the Huskers landed JUCO prospect and former TCU signee Omar Manning. Rated the No. 2 overall JUCO prospect in his class, per the 247Sports Composite rankings, Manning will have two seasons of eligibility in Lincoln after catching for 727 yards and six touchdowns last season at Kilgore (Texas) College.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Luke McCaffrey will push Martinez for snaps, which has heightened the junior's sense of urgency a bit, according to Frost. Last season, Martinez's numbers didn't compare to his freshman totals and he missed two games due to injury. As a sophomore, Martinez threw for 1,956 yards and 10 touchdowns with nine interceptions. He registered 626 yards and seven touchdowns on the ground, but defense had figured out his strengths.

Nebraska is slated to kick off its 2020 campaign at home vs. Purdue on Sept. 5

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...ege-football-2020-nebraska-huskers-148799247/

OMG, the last thing Adrian needs is pre-season hype. Let him prove he's back on the field before people start putting him on national lists. It needs to be earned.

Any mention of the ACTUAL QB Coach, Verduzco?...you know, the one that should be influencing his play most.

OMG, the last thing Adrian needs is pre-season hype. Let him prove he's back on the field before people start putting him on national lists. It needs to be earned.

I definitely agree with you and I’m 100% behind that. The man definitely needs to prove it and earn it this year and Luke McCaffrey will make sure of that.

But all these guys are doing is predicting the young man to bounce back and do better then he did last year. That’s all. So I get what they are saying. No one is predicting him to be all conference and no one is predicting him to be the Heisman dark horse (like after his freshman year), they just assume he will bounce back this year (or the more then likely player to do it anyways).

I definitely agree with them on Luke McCaffrey pushing him hard, because he will. If Adrian starts slipping up or making mistakes...believe me Luke will get his shot and he will never look back after that (my opinion of course).

The question is: what happened last year? Can’t remember a college QB go that direction after a really solid first year.

Not actively rooting against AM, but I am ready for McCaffrey to emerge. Too much 'IT' factor for him to be on the sidelines. Assuming he's added size, can't wait to see him command the offense.

It's all between the ears and that is where AM came up short last year. If his injuries are healed, he needs a major step forward in his confidence and decision making.

The question is: what happened last year? Can’t remember a college QB go that direction after a really solid first year.

He was leading the Big Ten in Passing and 2nd in total offense going into week 5. Then the team got their ass kicked by Ohio State.

Then he gets hurt against NW and didn't play or practice literally for a month.

Meanwhile, Mo is gone after week 5. Wandale and JD were never healthy at the same time the rest of the season.

There were a lot of reasons why Adrian Martinez struggled last season.

I said it all last year and I still stand by it. He was shaving points. Not being sarcastic, very unpopular opinion but I don’t care. I believe you will see him have success in college before he’s done and probably some level in the pros as well. There were clearly certain drives where he “flipped the switch” and played out of his mind.

I said it all last year and I still stand by it. He was shaving points. Not being sarcastic, very unpopular opinion but I don’t care. I believe you will see him have success in college before he’s done and probably some level in the pros as well. There were clearly certain drives where he “flipped the switch” and played out of his mind.
I agree.

This is a very unpopular opinion.

Have you considered that your opinion might by "unpopular" because it's not supported by a single shred of evidence and no person in their right mind finds it believable?

You arent shaving points when your team loses the game outright.

You arent shaving points when your team loses the game outright.

I actually agree with the main point, it’s stupid to think he was shaving points. He was just playing hurt, high snaps and our team was just flat out bad the other times.

But we did lose 9 games by 5 points or less the last 2 seasons, so every one of those games were as winnable as they were in lose-able. So it’s definitely possible in games like that, hell even the bad loses. Although I completely disagree on the subject.

Last edited:
Martinez threw 10 TDs and 9 INTs last year.

Makes my stomach turn to think about- factoring in the entire offensive production.

There’s definitely plenty of room to make a massive comeback.

I’m rooting for the entire offense to come out on fire after that forgettable year.

Martinez had 10 TDs and 9 INTs last year.

Makes my stomach turn to think about- factoring in the entire offensive production.

There’s definitely plenty of room to make a massive comeback.

I’m rooting for the entire offense to come out on fire after that forgettable year.

it will make things much easier on Martinez (or McCaffrey) with the Oline, D Mills, stable of TEs and the WRs coming in. I definitely don’t expect to see our offense struggle or at least anything like it did last year anyways. I’m predicting Mills to go 1,000-1,300 yards rushing...that’s my lone prediction I’ll make.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Have you considered that your opinion might by "unpopular" because it's not supported by a single shred of evidence and no person in their right mind finds it believable?

I stated my evidence but if you don’t see it that way that’s totally fine man. Personally, I think it’s unpopular because nobody *wants* to believe it.

I stated my evidence but if you don’t see it that way that’s totally fine man. Personally, I think it’s unpopular because nobody *wants* to believe it.
Yeh, evidence! Good Lord.

Tell me, do you ever accuse people of crimes to their face, or is this strictly an internet troll hobby?

Reactions: timnsun
Yeh, evidence! Good Lord.

Tell me, do you ever accuse people of crimes to their face, or is this strictly an internet troll hobby?

lol I don’t typically run into these people, so I suppose not. If I got the opportunity to really sit down and talk to Frost or Adrian, I would ask.

Isn’t it possible (likely) that it’s unpopular because it’s ridiculous? Not because no one wants to believe it, but that it’s flat out bonkers?

Last edited:
lol I don’t typically run into these people, so I suppose not. If I got the opportunity to really sit down and talk to Frost or Adrian, I would ask.
Have you presented your evidence to Scott Frost and Bill Moss, and showed them that they clearly have a point-shaver in their ranks? Or did your investigation reveal that they might be in on this caper?

And yeah, I'll just bet that if only you had the opportunity, you would ask Martinez to his face if he's been shaving points. Sure you would.

Have you presented your evidence to Scott Frost and Bill Moss, and showed them that they clearly have a point-shaver in their ranks? Or did your investigation reveal that they might be in on this caper?

And yeah, I'll just bet that if only you had the opportunity, you would ask Martinez to his face if he's been shaving points. Sure you would.

I don’t see why I wouldn’t ask. I still play sports and the way the games work on TV are just not natural. The superstars of the sports world too often put forth a product on the court/field that is not believable for me.

How about against Purdue when we got a turnover and then Adrian proceeds to throw 3 straight incompletions from the 2 yard line, 2 of which should’ve been intercepted. The previous drive Dedrick Mills pounded it in with absolute ease. You think Scott frost is that stupid?

Isn’t it possible (likely) that it’s unpopular because it’s ridiculous? Not because no one wants to believe it, but that it’s flat out bonkers?

It is definitely hard to believe as well. For me the product I see is even harder to believe. I don’t buy that Scott frost is as stupid as he looked last year. You buy into that, you think he’s a completely incompetent play caller from the 2 yard line against PURDUE, that’s fine, but I don’t.

It is definitely hard to believe as well. For me the product I see is even harder to believe. I don’t buy that Scott frost is as stupid as he looked last year. You buy into that, you think he’s a completely incompetent play caller from the 2 yard line against PURDUE, that’s fine, but I don’t.

During this series he did.. You have first and goal at the 2 after a turnover and you throw 2 passes in the end zone:confused:...Huge brain fart.

Last edited:
So are you suggesting frost is point shaving as well? Do tell...

I don't expect perfection out of Scott. He's going to be too cute at times because that's the system.

All those kudos he gets about melding old school and new school in unique ways don't happen if you always just make the old school play. Sometimes it'll work sometimes it won't.

Reactions: Red I 73
And here I thought that series was just a combination of bad play-calling and poor execution. But now that I know that Frost, despite making $5 million per year, has a little something going on the side, it all makes perfect sense!

So did Farniok get a piece of the action for completely crapping the bed on that shovel pass, or is this strictly a two-man operation, with Frost and Martinez splitting all the loot?

ByDEAN STRAKA
5 hours ago

The Nebraska Cornhuskers will go as far as their defense and quarterback Adrian Martinez takes them this season, and third-year coach Scott Frost expects his signal-caller to have his best campaign thus far thanks to a renewed focus on improvement. And frankly, Martinez' head coach in Lincoln isn't the only one who is counting on the quarterback to have a big season in 2020 after an underwhelming year in 2019. The CBS Sports college football staff recently made picks for the top bounce-back players this coming season, and David Cobb went with the Huskers' signal-caller.

"Ultimately, the frustrations of 2019 should be behind him now, and with new offensive coordinator Matt Lubick arriving to provide the entire unit with a fresh start, Martinez is poised for a significant resurgence." Cobb wrote. "He is too talented, and there is too much returning-talent on this Nebraska team for the Cornhuskers to languish offensively again."

Entering his sophomore season last fall, Martinez rested on his laurels a bit as a Heisman candidate and players expected to lead Nebraska into Big Ten title contention. That didn't happen. Martinez was inconsistent and battled through injuries behind an under-performing offensive line, and the Huskers slipped to a 5-7 finish.

“I think it’s just his mindset and his approach,” Frost said this week, according to the Lincoln Journal Star. “He came in his first year and had to compete for that spot, and he looked like a competitor every single day in practice. Year 2, because of the situation, I think he was able to put it in cruise control a little more, and I think that showed up on the field a little bit.

Looking ahead to the 2020 season, Nebraska's offense will be without J.D. Spielman -- the team's leading receiver from 2019 -- after Spielman entered the transfer portal earlier this year, but Martinez will still have receiving talent to work with. Late last year, Nebraska made a key addition to its receiving corps when the Huskers landed JUCO prospect and former TCU signee Omar Manning. Rated the No. 2 overall JUCO prospect in his class, per the 247Sports Composite rankings, Manning will have two seasons of eligibility in Lincoln after catching for 727 yards and six touchdowns last season at Kilgore (Texas) College.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Luke McCaffrey will push Martinez for snaps, which has heightened the junior's sense of urgency a bit, according to Frost. Last season, Martinez's numbers didn't compare to his freshman totals and he missed two games due to injury. As a sophomore, Martinez threw for 1,956 yards and 10 touchdowns with nine interceptions. He registered 626 yards and seven touchdowns on the ground, but defense had figured out his strengths.

Nebraska is slated to kick off its 2020 campaign at home vs. Purdue on Sept. 5

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...ege-football-2020-nebraska-huskers-148799247/
Great...something else to inflate his ego.

That is just plain stupid!

And here I thought that series was just a combination of bad play-calling and poor execution. But now that I know that Frost, despite making $5 million per year, has a little something going on the side, it all makes perfect sense!.
So did Farniok get a piece of the action for completely crapping the bed on that shovel pass, or is this strictly a two-man operation, with Frost and Martinez splitting all the loot?
Don’t forget about Vedral’s fumble against Indiana. It’s pretty clear he was in on the action too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT