ADVERTISEMENT

Adrian Martinez: Big Ten Player of the Week?

Badger Pete

Walk On
Dec 22, 2013
Badger grad; Husker Dad X 2, posting for the first time.

I have watched this kid from his first spring game where he somersaulted in the end zone on his first drive, to the last play of the Oklahoma game. I have watched him in press conferences in which he truly feels the pain of losing, while still encouraging his teammates to weather the storm. Senior Captain who totally outplayed his Heisman Trophy counter-part on Saturday.

OK, now for the facts through 4 games::

1. Yards per throw: 10.3 yards compared to his best year versus 7.8 yards in 2018.
2. Only 1 interception—Oklahoma game.
3. Say what you want about this stat but he is averaging 12 carries a game for 72 yards per game.

If this kid has an offensive line that can block and can kick, Nebraska is 4-0.

Huskers 35. Michigan State 24.

GBR

I liked everything but...

This is your second post sir! Your first time was the last time...unless I missed your time before that, then that would have been your first first time....and so then that would make this time your first first first time.

Welcome to the board.

I have watched this kid from his first spring game where he somersaulted in the end zone on his first drive, to the last play of the Oklahoma game. I have watched him in press conferences in which he truly feels the pain of losing, while still encouraging his teammates to weather the storm. Senior Captain who totally outplayed his Heisman Trophy counter-part on Saturday.

1. Yards per throw: 10.3 yards compared to his best year versus 7.8 yards in 2018.
3. Say what you want about this stat but he is averaging 12 carries a game for 72 yards per game.

GBR
You nailed it, thank you. It took him a couple years, but Martinez is coming into his own finally. Helps that Frost arranged for larger receivers for him, jump ball dudes and whatnot. Too bad the oline is not working right. Without some miracle changes there, losses could be much harder to come by. MSU is gonna be tough, but not sure if any more of a challenge than #3 Oklahoma.

Better than a punt. But there was an open receiver missed 5 yd deeper for TD. Missed or under thrown??

I think he threw it a little behind where he intended to. If he had thrown it closer to the pylon, our guy has a chance there.

Better than a punt. But there was an open receiver missed 5 yd deeper for TD. Missed or under thrown??
I know as a QB you’ve got to make that throw, but he was running for his life there as well.

Still need to deliver the ball, but not an easy pass to make on the run.

Martinez was the best QB on the field last Saturday, fwiw. He will need to be so again this week, for NU to win.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Ok, small thing, but Sister Magdalena would chump-slap me like a teetherball if I did it.

In the headline, there is no need for an apostrophe in QB's. QB's is neither possessive nor a contraction. In the intended example, QBs (no apostrophe) indicates multiple quarterbacks.

Stupid ESPN.

God, I hate when I do this.

Last edited:

GBR
I agree.

GBR
I can tell you were a Riley apologist. Thanks

I’m no AM apologist. But I think part of his performance last Saturday was confidence in his receivers. We really haven’t had a consistent, go to receiver since Morgan left. And coincidentally AM’s freshman year was his best.

Betts, Manning and Toure (Allen at TR) all had their men beat on several occasions last week and made solid catches. They’re fast and reliable on any route short, deep or in between.

I have to think that those guys give AM that boost of confidence that he’s been missing the last 2-3 years.

That doesn’t excuse his turnovers and poor decision making the last few years. An elite QB will work through/overcome that. But having several targets that he can feel confident throwing to may elevate his game.

You can see it on the field, and more personal, in the press conferences. It took a while but you know why he was voted captain, and you have seen it on the field that he is laying it all out.

Huskers 35
Spartans 24

I don't think that guy was really open. There was another defender right there. I thought that first also but then I saw a replay that showed it better. The problem was our receivers forgot their spacing and got too close together. OU had 3 DBs close in the area. One of our WRs needed to be on the very back endline of the endzone. Even then running as he was completing a pass to either guy would have been unlikely.

Reactions: Laner2
I don't think that guy was really open. There was another defender right there. I thought that first also but then I saw a replay that showed it better. The problem was our receivers forgot their spacing and got too close together. OU had 3 DBs close in the area. One of our WRs needed to be on the very back endline of the endzone. Even then running as he was completing a pass to either guy would have been unlikely.
Our receivers don't catch passes unless wide open with no coverage.😉 I think it was toure

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT