ADVERTISEMENT

Adjustments for the offensive line?

What offensive adjustments can be made to protect the QB and give our offense a chance to score? I agree with Zack that using Smothers to add a running QB threat with the RPO is a possible positive adjustment. I would further suggest a deeper drop back for the QB to make the Defense have a different angle and further to run as they blast by our linemen. Thompson is often trapped when he steps up in the pocket. With a deeper pocket he could take a simple lateral step to the sideline to avoid a 300 lb linemen like was demonstrated last game by Ty Robinson. Maybe we could have a 2 RB set for these last games. Maybe try more screens. I hope adjustments are made during this bye week.
Watch the technique on the right side of the line. Either these guys are not very athletic or they are not being coached proper technique. My guess they are not athletic enough to play at this level

What offensive adjustments can be made to protect the QB and give our offense a chance to score? I agree with Zack that using Smothers to add a running QB threat with the RPO is a possible positive adjustment. I would further suggest a deeper drop back for the QB to make the Defense have a different angle and further to run as they blast by our linemen. Thompson is often trapped when he steps up in the pocket. With a deeper pocket he could take a simple lateral step to the sideline to avoid a 300 lb linemen like was demonstrated last game by Ty Robinson. Maybe we could have a 2 RB set for these last games. Maybe try more screens. I hope adjustments are made during this bye week.
All new Oline recruits.

Reactions: BleedRed78
All you have to see is how much we struggle when Henrich isn’t in the game to understand how good the guy is. I realize some of these guys haven’t been playing well but damn some of the criticism is over the top. A lot of their problems have been coaching and scheme especially on defense.
Reimer, for sure. Not Henrich though. Barely noticed a difference in the Purdue game when he was out.

Smothers will fumble.

I assume you are using two TEs and the RB to block. So with 5 OL, 2 TE, 1 RB, and 1 QB, that leaves 2 WRs.
Or the RB & TE can help block and release for short passes and that gives you 4 receivers. But I'm not the OC of course so what do I know, it's probably too simple a plan.

When CT drops back, he is getting killed because the center or guard can not reach the DE... 2 sacs from Rutgers because of it. Simplify
The lack of quickness at center no doubt hurts us almost as much as at tackle. That was an evaluation failure by Austin that won’t be fixed over night. We need to recruit 6’3 to 6’5” guys who can run to play tackle and they don’t need to be 330.

I’ve seen us pass by too many kids because they weren’t big enough coming out of high school.
Reimer, for sure. Not Henrich though. Barely noticed a difference in the Purdue game when he was out.
He was playing with an injury. It’s not surprising. Reimer is a good player.

ADVERTISEMENT