ADVERTISEMENT

Adjustments for the offensive line?

pahusker139

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2008
The Villages, Florida
What offensive adjustments can be made to protect the QB and give our offense a chance to score? I agree with Zack that using Smothers to add a running QB threat with the RPO is a possible positive adjustment. I would further suggest a deeper drop back for the QB to make the Defense have a different angle and further to run as they blast by our linemen. Thompson is often trapped when he steps up in the pocket. With a deeper pocket he could take a simple lateral step to the sideline to avoid a 300 lb linemen like was demonstrated last game by Ty Robinson. Maybe we could have a 2 RB set for these last games. Maybe try more screens. I hope adjustments are made during this bye week.

Tightening up on the communication and missed assignments (the mental game) is a primary step to take. Working on the screen game and more quick routes seems like the only other option where improvement could be made. The OL ability to sustain blocks won’t magically improve at this point.
Having said that, screens are most effective against blitzes, and teams are able to get blitz-like pressure on us by only rushing 3 or 4 through our leaky line.

I thought it was interesting to hear Rob Zatechka comment how he likes the potential of Henry Lutovsky but thinks he needs to lose weight.
He’s commented on our strategy of simply looking at large frame measurables (very tall OL) was misguided because we seemed to ignore how they move.
It’s all footwork and attitude.

What offensive adjustments can be made to protect the QB and give our offense a chance to score? I agree with Zack that using Smothers to add a running QB threat with the RPO is a possible positive adjustment. I would further suggest a deeper drop back for the QB to make the Defense have a different angle and further to run as they blast by our linemen. Thompson is often trapped when he steps up in the pocket. With a deeper pocket he could take a simple lateral step to the sideline to avoid a 300 lb linemen like was demonstrated last game by Ty Robinson. Maybe we could have a 2 RB set for these last games. Maybe try more screens. I hope adjustments are made during this bye week.
Some quick throws early, but you can't live an entire game on them. The drop depth is dictated by the WR depth/route. 3 step, short passes, 5 step intermediate, 7 for deep bombs as a general rule.

Practically, keep a TE in, use the RB to assist.

I have watched our OL in space and they are horribly. If your OL can't track someone down in space you will struggle with screens and outside runs which we do.

The real answer is to get better footwork and body control.

I have watched our OL in space and they are horribly. If your OL can't track someone down in space you will struggle with screens and outside runs which we do.

So true. I'm not even going to try to act like I know the intricacies of o-line play, but it is very easy to see our guys just reach and never move their feet. Some of it seems like indecision to me, like they are literally in the mode of "I'm not really sure who to block."

Could try Banks at LT and move Corcoran to RT. Other than that it will just be using RB’s and TE’s to help protect and rolling the pocket.
Banks should get a more extended audition. Banks, Piper, Hixson, Lutovsky, Corcoran. Possibly swap out Piper for Anthony?

Thompson has to step up in the pocket more to help his tackles. Thought he did a good job of doing so in the 2h vs purdue and I don't think he was sacked in that half.

Our tackles have been abysmal for a few years now. Martinez covered up how bad it really was.

“Pro Football Focus gives NU a lowly pass blocking a 37.7 rating, which ranks 125th out of 131 FBS teams. PFF ranks the Huskers 70th in run blocking (59.9 rating). But the Huskers haven't been tearing it up here either, ranked 79th in average yards per rush (4.03).”

“They now rank 112th in sacks allowed (2.86 per game) and that doesn't even factor in all the other QB hits.”

Defense not doing any better:
“Huskers are averaging just 4.14 tackles for loss per game (123rd) and 1.43 sacks per game (109th).”
“PFF ranks Nebraska 77th nationally in tackling with a 61.4 rating. Three teams still on the Husker schedule are ranked in the top 25 in tackling: Michigan (1st), Iowa (9th) and Illinois (23rd).”

Cornfed Nebraska girls off the rugby team? I really hope there is a rugby team 🤣🤣

Bryce Benhart is not a D1 tackle. His feet are so bad.
good-thats-true.gif

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Yes, have some kind...any kind of QB run threat

There are mulitple problems but I see one being no fear of failure, literally. I've witnessed our lineman getting beat and then quitting on the play, stand there , looking at his qb getting took apart. Hate to bring up '90's guys' but those types of plays would have led to a genuine ass beating by his teammates on the next Monday.

We could bring in the Buffalo Bills OL, that would help.

Some quick throws early, but you can't live an entire game on them. The drop depth is dictated by the WR depth/route. 3 step, short passes, 5 step intermediate, 7 for deep bombs as a general rule.

Practically, keep a TE in, use the RB to assist.

Paragraph 1- Definitely the obvious basic rule.

Paragraph 2- Yes, but the tough part about this is we are keeping a potential outlet route in to help....when teams are getting pressure with four. Hard call here.

Paragraph 3- excellent observation irt the possible screen game. Against a team that is bringing extra numbers, this is maybe the best offensive call to give the defense some pause.

The problem is, I saw a screen FINALLY called against Rutgers in the first half. It was set up perfectly....then Piper whiffed on the block he needed to make. Luckily, Palmer ended up with a big play on the next play to extend the series, anyway.

If your guys up front have poor footwork in pass pro, unfortunately they probably will look even worse in the screen game. Pretty much all about timing and getting to a spot, here.

Paragraph 3- Unfortunately, I am afraid we are what we are at this point in the season.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I'm surprised we have been able to hit so many deep passes with our protection. CT has done a pretty good job putting some air under the ball for deep throws for Trey to run under.

I'm curious to see how this offense runs going forward because Trey is gonna get doubled now.

Tightening up on the communication and missed assignments (the mental game) is a primary step to take. Working on the screen game and more quick routes seems like the only other option where improvement could be made. The OL ability to sustain blocks won’t magically improve at this point.
Having said that, screens are most effective against blitzes, and teams are able to get blitz-like pressure on us by only rushing 3 or 4 through our leaky line.

I thought it was interesting to hear Rob Zatechka comment how he likes the potential of Henry Lutovsky but thinks he needs to lose weight.
He’s commented on our strategy of simply looking at large frame measurables (very tall OL) was misguided because we seemed to ignore how they move.
It’s all footwork and attitude.
When guys like Zatechka or Stai talk I listen.

Watch the Purdue tape. Learn from the Prude tape. Not what we did but what they did. brohm is a master at disguising shitty offensive lines in both the run and pass game

Reactions: leodisflowers
Bryce Benhart is not a D1 tackle. His feet are so bad.
I think it was Benhart that the radio guys were saying the leaked Audio of Matt was referencing. His quote was something like “we have a tackle that couldn’t start for Lincoln Northstar” or something like to the effect. I feel bad for the kid. Army All American to a kid that grades out as one of the worst players in the country as his position ugh

stop the line from backpedaling to form a pocket on passing downs as they clearly have a problem with footwork.

I think it was Benhart that the radio guys were saying the leaked Audio of Matt was referencing. His quote was something like “we have a tackle that couldn’t start for Lincoln Northstar” or something like to the effect. I feel bad for the kid. Army All American to a kid that grades out as one of the worst players in the country as his position ugh
I also feel bad for the guys who are tossed out on the field when they have no business there, because it’s up to the coach to put better talent in their place.

Noa Pola-Gates, another HS (Army) All-American bust.
I’d be willing to give AA Corcoran one more year with a new coach, but he is also not good- maybe more capable as a guard though.

Former AA Henrich is meh good enough. Blaise Gunnerson I believe also got an AA jersey. Still early, but he hasn’t pushed our underperforming starters too much.

Ty Robinson was AA and has been called out plenty for his underachievement.

There comes a point where the common denominator comes into play= coaching.

Omar Manning, Tyreke Johnson, Nadab Joseph (gone) I believe fit the AA bust profile as well. Then guys like Keyshawn Greene who quit before he started, we lost Wandale, etc etc.

I believe Fidone will emerge IF if can bounce back from double injury on same knee- yikes.

Technically 8 (Army) AA players currently on the roster (my count may be off a bit) and very very little to show for it.

We’ve developed a shocking little amount of talent. The fact our entire offensive production is from
transfers says something.

I also feel bad for the guys who are tossed out on the field when they have no business there, because it’s up to the coach to put better talent in their place.

Noa Pola-Gates, another HS (Army) All-American bust.
I’d be willing to give AA Corcoran one more year with a new coach, but he is also not good- maybe more capable as a guard though.

Former AA Henrich is meh good enough. Blaise Gunnerson I believe also got an AA jersey. Still early, but he hasn’t pushed our underperforming starters too much.

Ty Robinson was AA and has been called out plenty for his underachievement.

There comes a point where the common denominator comes into play= coaching.

Omar Manning, Tyreke Johnson, Nadab Joseph (gone) I believe fit the AA bust profile as well. Then guys like Keyshawn Greene who quit before he started, we lost Wandale, etc etc.

I believe Fidone will emerge IF if can bounce back from double injury on same knee- yikes.

Technically 8 (Army) AA players currently on the roster (my count may be off a bit) and very very little to show for it.

We’ve developed a shocking little amount of talent. The fact our entire offensive production is from
transfers says something.
All you have to see is how much we struggle when Henrich isn’t in the game to understand how good the guy is. I realize some of these guys haven’t been playing well but damn some of the criticism is over the top. A lot of their problems have been coaching and scheme especially on defense.

ADVERTISEMENT