ADVERTISEMENT

Adios Alston

Wish him well. Used his experience here to not only earn his degree but to live the life of major college football player, albeit a lower level reserve. I suspect he’s on the hunt now to find a school to fund his grad school degree.
He was a reach as far as a recruit at this level and played the ‘system’ to his advantage.
GBR!

Wish him well. Used his experience here to not only earn his degree but to live the life of major college football player, albeit a lower level reserve. I suspect he’s on the hunt now to find a school to fund his grad school degree.
He was a reach as far as a recruit at this level and played the ‘system’ to his advantage.
GBR!
Yep good for him.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Exactly. Seems like we were much more successful recruiting for the 4-3. Finding two decent DT's and two decent DE's is a lot easier than trying to find a unicorn at each defensive line position and a unicorn at OLB.
Nebraska runs a 4-3/4-2-5 a TON.

Reactions: huntered
GBR!

Oh he was a reach huh?? Only the top-rated player in the STATE of Minnesota

What kind of revisionist history is this?? It's so easy to get over on the casual Nebraska fan in this site because most have their head up the coach's arse so high they can't see past their nose!

Im tired of fans trashing 4 star and BIG recruits that can't develop because they have had inadequate coaching and development since they graduated from high school and arrived in Lincoln. Alston was the NUMBER 1 recruit in the state of Minnesota and top 25 DE/pass rusher in the country! Wisconsin, Utah and Iowa State wanted him badly.

I guess next you will say that Tate Wildeman (top rated player in Colorado) and Jackson Hannah (4 star LB) who EVERYBODY wanted were "reaches" too??

We have had more highly rated recruits come to Neb and waste their God-given talents than any other school I can remember. No development at LB, pass rusher, QB, RB or WR the last 5 years.

Took 2 years longer than it should have. Hopefully the coach is driving this

Exactly. Seems like we were much more successful recruiting for the 4-3. Finding two decent DT's and two decent DE's is a lot easier than trying to find a unicorn at each defensive line position and a unicorn at OLB.
What’s kind of funny is that we went years struggling to find the right players in the 4-3 under Pelini and a bunch of people clamored for the 3-4. It’s easy to forget starting Cam Meredith at DT. Or Jack Gangwish or Ross Dzuris at DE.

What’s kind of funny is that we went years struggling to find the right players in the 4-3 under Pelini and a bunch of people clamored for the 3-4. It’s easy to forget starting Cam Meredith at DT. Or Jack Gangwish or Ross Dzuris at DE.
Yet could still.piss 9 wins and were putting players in the league

We even got a converted WR to be a 2nd round pick.

Meredith as a DT was bad, I'll give you that. But Gangwish by his senior year was a darn good player and Dzuris was never as bad as he was made out to be. I'd say the Davis twins probably had more talent than those guys, but at the same time our defensive line wasn't any better because of poor coaching and the switch to the 3-4.

Oh he was a reach huh?? Only the top-rated player in the STATE of Minnesota

What kind of revisionist history is this?? It's so easy to get over on the casual Nebraska fan in this site because most have their head up the coach's arse so high they can't see past their nose!

Im tired of fans trashing 4 star and BIG recruits that can't develop because they have had inadequate coaching and development since they graduated from high school and arrived in Lincoln. Alston was the NUMBER 1 recruit in the state of Minnesota and top 25 DE/pass rusher in the country! Wisconsin, Utah and Iowa State wanted him badly.

I guess next you will say that Tate Wildeman (top rated player in Colorado) and Jackson Hannah (4 star LB) who EVERYBODY wanted were "reaches" too??

We have had more highly rated recruits come to Neb and waste their God-given talents than any other school I can remember. No development at LB, pass rusher, QB, RB or WR the last 5 years.
This is not unique to Nebraska. Look at Tyreke Johnson who left tOSU and is in the portal and maybe will be joining the Huskers. He was a 5 star recruit. Being the top player in Minn. is not the same as being the top player in Georgia or Ohio.

Rowing the boat?
Not a chance. He's from Minnesota, but like several other transfers and bench riders, we recruited him when his home state school chose to go after other prospects. I think he's going to Rhode Island or something like that.

He was probably moving down the depth chart and hopefully coaches were honest with him about it.

There's no need to shit on the kid, he didn't put a gun to NU's head and force them to offer him. It's also not his fault that NU's OLB coaches can't seem to sniff a blue chip edge threat commitment. They strike out on the bigtime kids and are relegated to the B and C listers of the high school OLB recruits.

Was he supposed to say, "No, I'm not good enough to play for you but thanks for the offer."

He showed up, got his degree, gave it a shot, and moved on when it wasn't in the cards for him in Lincoln. That's the ask. You don't get to just choose to be great at college football.

What do we want him to do, mash the "Be a 1st Round Caliber Player" button til it comes true?

Is our NFL OLBs coach gonna ink somebody legit this year? Or are they gonna go raid Fisher's DB closet again and convert a couple more of his best athletes?

Reactions: saluno22 and 9and4
ADVERTISEMENT