ADVERTISEMENT

Addition by subtraction

I stole this idea from another board but I think it has a lot of merit. Losing Wandale was a good thing. What could we really expect out of him? He's a little guy. Easy to bring down. Kind of shifty, but small catch radius. We would have looked to him this year as our number one player which he clearly does not deserve. The coach was going to ride him again by default. He was going to get hurt or produce very little. I'm not even picking on him because he was a pretty good kid by all outward appearances, just not the type of player you build your offens around. Other players will step in to take his production. They always do and that's a good thing. A guy like a Stepp is a legitimate D1 running back and possibly an NFL guy at the position.

Toure is clearly an upgrade over the little guy receivers who all ran home to Florida.

Kolarvic was a position of need that we addressed. Kicker too, along with the defensive back from Ohio State.

We are winning at the portal game, moving out non factors and moving in legitimate talent. I would have liked to have gotten a portal QB strictly for competition, but I suspect the elite plan on being day one starters, as in a stud graduated and the job was ripe for the taking.

Frost has made too many whiffs in recruiting, but I think he's adjusting on the fly and going more for a combination of size and speed over strictly speed which worked out okay at UCF.

Lotta truth in here. I'm not sure it's safe to say we are winning the portal yet. That remains to be seen. I do however like the direction it's going in. These guys still haven't played @DONU so let's wait and see how they do.

Holla

Robinson AND Toure is better than either alone.

Everyone wins at the portal game. Many players that enter the portal won't end up playing anywhere, just like they weren't playing where they were. Tyreke wasn't playing at Ohio St. Toure and Kolarvic can from a lower level and moved up, they didn't transfer from another P5.

That's true about BOTH > either one. Problem is does Toure come if Wandale is still here? THATS the million dollar question. I also think it's too soon to say one is better than the other. By mid season I think we will have our answer though.

Holla

What happened to his speed? I've seen claims of 4.3 and under.

Yeah I mentioned that the other day. They were clearly fabricated. If I'm not mistaken I seen an article that had him listed at 4.22. I look back on that now and laugh. I knew that wasn't the case the moment the Northwestern hawked him down from behind.

I liked the kid personally. Hes a talented player regardless of how many people wanna talk shit about him now that he's no longer a Husker. He was simply used wrong by Frost imo. Mainly due to the fact that he had no other playmakers around him. He would do well in an offense that has to focus on others. As THE main piece not as much. Wandale should be the "frosting" not the "cake". Scott used him as the cake and it made for tough sledding.

Holla

The question is whether Wandale would be happy this year possibly not being the number one target in the passing game. He most likely wouldn't having been needed at RB any longer and his possible touches would be further limited by Manning, Martin, Toure and Betts.

MAYBE..but aside from Toure all of those guys were there last year. Not to mention Toure may not have even come if Wandale was still here.

Holla

MAYBE..but aside from Toure all of those guys were there last year. Not to mention Toure may not have even come if Wandale was still here.

Holla
You put a 155-165 lb kid out there, run him down the field on routes 15-20 times with pads and helmet on and that 40 time goes from 4.4 in shorts and track shoes to 5.0 in pads pretty fast. I'm sure those runs in traffic didn't help his speed either. It's just another example of how 40 times aren't a great predictor of game speed. I watched some of Dedrick Mills with the Lions last night. The dude had a couple of great runs one of which where he broke 2 tackles behind the line and took the ball for about 20 on a 3rd and one. He might have earned a roster spot as a big back for them with his performance last night. What did he run at the combine? 4.7?

You put a 155-165 lb kid out there, run him down the field on routes 15-20 times with pads and helmet on and that 40 time goes from 4.4 in shorts and track shoes to 5.0 in pads pretty fast. I'm sure those runs in traffic didn't help his speed either. It's just another example of how 40 times aren't a great predictor of game speed. I watched some of Dedrick Mills with the Lions last night. The dude had a couple of great runs one of which where he broke 2 tackles behind the line and took the ball for about 20 on a 3rd and one. He might have earned a roster spot as a big back for them with his performance last night. What did he run at the combine? 4.7?

That's a good point but Wandale simply was never as fast as that time I spoke on. That dude could be buck naked and not go 4.2 lol.

But I agree the pads absolutely matter. Especially for a smaller kid like him. I also agree those between the tackle runs likely didn't help his speed either.

I'm honestly surprised by Mills. I've never seen him as more than a FB masquerading as a RB in our system. Not bad at all it's just to me he lacked the overall vision and balance to be an elite back. I seen that run yesterday also and it was nice. He even made a guy miss which was something he rarely did in Lincoln. It would be great if he could carve out a niche as a big back on any team tbh. I wish him the best.

Holla

That's a good point but Wandale simply was never as fast as that time I spoke on. That dude could be buck naked and not go 4.2 lol.

But I agree the pads absolutely matter. Especially for a smaller kid like him. I also agree those between the tackle runs likely didn't help his speed either.

I'm honestly surprised by Mills. I've never seen him as more than a FB masquerading as a RB in our system. Not bad at all it's just to me he lacked the overall vision and balance to be an elite back. I seen that run yesterday also and it was nice. He even made a guy miss which was something he rarely did in Lincoln. It would be great if he could carve out a niche as a big back on any team tbh. I wish him the best.

Holla
We really didn't get to see him play at near 100% last year until that Rutgers game. His 40 time for the scouts kind of told us what his weakness is but man he runs hard and he's a big guy. If he can pick up blitzes and catch the ball he's got a shot at making the roster. I didn't think that would be the case when I saw his 40 times.

I always take recruiting site 40 times with a grain of salt. I still remember when they had Helu running a 4.9.

Reactions: kakdawg
We really didn't get to see him play at near 100% last year until that Rutgers game. His 40 time for the scouts kind of told us what his weakness is but man he runs hard and he's a big guy. If he can pick up blitzes and catch the ball he's got a shot at making the roster. I didn't think that would be the case when I saw his 40 times.

I always take recruiting site 40 times with a grain of salt. I still remember when they had Helu running a 4.9.

Wow.. Who had Helu at 4.9? I absolutely missed that one lol. I do remember him coming out of HS and he had a verified 4.62 I believe it was. Then I remember watching his last couple years thinking he's MUCH faster than that. Then the NFL combine comes and I THINK Roy goes like 4.42 or something. I remember thinking it's rare the a kid gets bigger AND runs THAT much faster than he did coming out of HS. Say what you will about our Strength guys but whatever they did for Helu worked well.

Holla

Well IF Wandale or any other players don't want to be here, then I'm glad they leave. Disgruntled players can be a poison to the team no matter how physically talented they might be. Washington was such a player.
We've had five straight losing seasons. If we're ever change things, the turnaround sure as hell won't be led by malcontents.

Probably less than a conventional take, but the more I read about Will Nixon, the less I worry about the loss of Wandale.

A former RB learning the WR position who is a coaches son, with a thicker build, the same grittiness and speed to burn. I have an eerily good feeling about him and get visions of what a true wingback can do for this offense.

I've always thought that the string of WBs we had in the 90s (Lance Brown, Shevin Wiggins, Bobby Newcombe, Jon Vedral, Abdul Muhhamad and Clester Johnson) were some of the most unheralded and underappreciated keys to our offense. Those guys could all cook and it seemed like we always had 2 or 3 in the rotation for the longest time.

Reactions: drubendall
So were all of these dudes. Outside of Trey Lance and Samori Toure, they rest are just FCS football players or guys looking to enter the 9-5 rat race.

*QB – Case Cookus, senior, 6-4, 205, Northern Arizona; Trey Lance, freshman, 6-3, 221, North Dakota State; or Kevin Thomson, junior, 6-2, 200, Sacramento State
RB – Pete Guerriero, junior, 5-10, 190, Monmouth
RB – James Robinson, senior, 5-10, 220, Illinois State
WR – Juwan Green, senior, 6-0, 187, UAlbany
WR – Aaron Parker, senior, 6-3, 208, Rhode Island
WR – Samori Toure, junior, 6-3, 190, Montana
TE – Adam Trautman, senior, 6-6, 253, Dayton
OL – P.J. Burkhalter, junior, 6-3, 330, Nicholls
OL – Liam Fornadel, junior, 6-4, 308, James Madison
OL – Drew Himmelman, junior, 6-10, 315, Illinois State
OL – Kyle Murphy, senior, 6-4, 302, Rhode Island
OL – Dillon Radunz, junior, 6-6, 298, North Dakota State

I am not necessarily saying anything bad about Toure, he may well end up being an FBS All American, but the odds are he won't. Wandale Robinson was a Freshman All American, (just like Adrian Martinez.) and honorable mention All Big Ten as a sophomore. I hope Toure can match that in 2021.
I think there are 6 NFL'rs in that list

For me I see something very different when I look at Wandale and JD. Both were very talented but:

1. JD seemed a bit entitled to me. Was a gamer but seemed to follow his own set of rules outside of game day. Worked for a coach like Riley not Frost. I am a Nebraska fan but went to TCU and live in Ft. Worth. Nobody and I mean nobody knows JD at TCU. He made a terrible decision to transfer. Patterson is just as tough about grades, lifting, etc. which is why I was confused about the transfer to TCU.

2. Wandale has too many people around him chirping in his ear. He’s not a full time RB or WR. His size is a big limitation but he has a big heart. The NFL is not in his future. If he would stop listening to that nonsense from his handlers, things would be much better. Frost tried to feature him in a few games to placate the handlers and he still left. Let him go back home and complain about the same things that he complained about here. Touches are touches. Doesn’t matter if it’s at RB or WR. He got plenty here and complained about it.

Wow.. Who had Helu at 4.9? I absolutely missed that one lol. I do remember him coming out of HS and he had a verified 4.62 I believe it was. Then I remember watching his last couple years thinking he's MUCH faster than that. Then the NFL combine comes and I THINK Roy goes like 4.42 or something. I remember thinking it's rare the a kid gets bigger AND runs THAT much faster than he did coming out of HS. Say what you will about our Strength guys but whatever they did for Helu worked well.

Holla
Rivals had him at 4.9 when we offered him. People lost their minds. Then at some point they dropped it to the 4.6 range I think around the time he committed. People were still losing it. When you looked at his video there was no way that was a kid who was running a 4.6 plus in shorts. It's laughable though when you look at all of the player profiles with the number of guys supposedly running "4.4". That said, the times a RB in CFB gets to use his 40 time are pretty rare. Give me a tough to tackle guy with great vision like Burkhead with a great 10 yard time every day of the week.

Reactions: kakdawg
Rivals had him at 4.9 when we offered him. People lost their minds. Then at some point they dropped it to the 4.6 range I think around the time he committed. People were still losing it. When you looked at his video there was no way that was a kid who was running a 4.6 plus in shorts. It's laughable though when you look at all of the player profiles with the number of guys supposedly running "4.4". That said, the times a RB in CFB gets to use his 40 time are pretty rare. Give me a tough to tackle guy with great vision like Burkhead with a great 10 yard time every day of the week.
We need a homerun hitter at somepoint though. We haven't had a back in a long time that had speed, power and elusiveness. We've had some good backs, but not top tier backs. I'm really excited for Ervin

I would have liked wandale in the slot if we have the big receivers outside to occupy the corners. Put him 1 on 1 vs a linebacker.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I would have liked wandale in the slot if we have the big receivers outside to occupy the corners. Put him 1 on 1 vs a linebacker.
Would have probably been a nickel corner in that case or safety and not a linebacker trying to cover Wandale I think but clearly he's not a #1 WR or RB.

You're on you own. Your claim is that losing your best and most productive playmaker is a subtraction that adds value to the team. Robinson has All-SEC and even Heisman potential if he is used correctly and to his max potential. We'll see how he fares under Stoops.

They are not on their own. Dropping Robinson is a massive plus. They had to tailor the entire offense around him just to get him the ball. We ended up shrinking the field to within 10 yards of the LOS.

Making Wandale option 1 killed the downfield game, between his size and the fact that he wasn't that fast meant he could be covered by guys who had 4 inches and 30 lbs on him completely swallowing him up to where most of the time if they tried to go downfield with him by the time the QB got the snap and went to throw, the QB couldn't see him.

He would probably be an amazing soccer player but he wasn't a D1 football player.

We are not better without Wandale, but Nebraska will be better this season at RB & WR. Those are not mutually exclusive.

He would be more suited to be snuck into the lineup and take advantage of the defense this year, but that’s not a role he wants.

We are not better without Wandale, but Nebraska will be better this season at RB & WR. Those are not mutually exclusive.

He would be more suited to be snuck into the lineup and take advantage of the defense this year, but that’s not a role he wants.
He's a gadget. If he were to go down, it matters little. It's all on Frost for featuring him and creating a false set of expectations. Now we have more and better options.

I stole this idea from another board but I think it has a lot of merit. Losing Wandale was a good thing. What could we really expect out of him? He's a little guy. Easy to bring down. Kind of shifty, but small catch radius. We would have looked to him this year as our number one player which he clearly does not deserve. The coach was going to ride him again by default. He was going to get hurt or produce very little. I'm not even picking on him because he was a pretty good kid by all outward appearances, just not the type of player you build your offens around. Other players will step in to take his production. They always do and that's a good thing. A guy like a Stepp is a legitimate D1 running back and possibly an NFL guy at the position.

Toure is clearly an upgrade over the little guy receivers who all ran home to Florida.

Kolarvic was a position of need that we addressed. Kicker too, along with the defensive back from Ohio State.

We are winning at the portal game, moving out non factors and moving in legitimate talent. I would have liked to have gotten a portal QB strictly for competition, but I suspect the elite plan on being day one starters, as in a stud graduated and the job was ripe for the taking.

Frost has made too many whiffs in recruiting, but I think he's adjusting on the fly and going more for a combination of size and speed over strictly speed which worked out okay at UCF.
What were you on when you posted this? Clueless

What were you on when you posted this? Clueless
You mad bro because I called you out as a troll which you clearly are?

Wandale is having a good year with Kentucky. If he's at Nebraska, he's still not moving the needle as far as wins and losses go. Based on the state of our program, I'd say he was smart to transfer.

Wandale is having a good year with Kentucky. If he's at Nebraska, he's still not moving the needle as far as wins and losses go. Based on the state of our program, I'd say he was smart to transfer.
You really think the guys we got are better than wandale? Dumb

you probably think AM is better than Joe Burrow.

you were way off troll

Wandale is a nice complementary piece at Kentucky but that is it. Toure >>>> Wandale.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT