ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Carriker: Is it the prime time to consider Deion Sanders at Nebraska?

Some interesting takes. I agree with his comment that Nebraska should hire a coach who can recruit to compete with the big boys, not just Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin.
That's part of the appeal of Mickey Joseph. And no, he's not Deon Sanders as a recruiter but he would be better as a HC and closer than any of the other realistic candidates on the board.

Oh FFS. Deion Sanders would never live in Lincoln, Nebraska. I don't care how much money they offered him. C'mon now...

Edit: Also, I'm so tired of this take that NU needs to hire a coach who can recruit so they can compete against Michigan and OSU and not Minnesota and Iowa.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but NU hasn't beaten Minnesota and Iowa in years. The focus should be just being a good football team first. Focus on the fundamentals, DEVELOP TALENT. Nebraska has unique challenges that other blue bloods do not have. What set NU apart for decades was TO realizing that the best way forward was to install a scheme that required athletes that the USCs and Florida States were not going after. And then they would develop the kids into the kind of athlete they needed them to be.

Every single person associated with the football program since TO retired has completely missed that point.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t break my heart to see Deion in Lincoln, he appears to be a very serious minded and good coach. Of course, moving up to P5 is a huge leap for any lower division coach. But as I believe he’ll never be Nebraska’s HC, have to wait a bit longer to see who gets the nod.

Nebraska needs a coach that can recruit and knows how to scheme well.

Bill Callahan came in at NE and had a top 10 class.

Nebraska does not need to be Iowa west developing a cyclical 7 to 9 win blue ball program.

A good coach can turn this thing around in 2 years.

FFS It's better if they can recruit. Winning is not like acquiring seniority on the job taking years of Paul Rhoades in order to get James Franklin taking years in order to get a Pete Carroll.

You find a Pete Carroll and he turns it around in 2 years. Seen this so many times. At university's that do not have a winning pedigree.

Blueblood not blue ball. Please and thank you.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
Nebraska needs a coach that can recruit and knows how to scheme well.

Bill Callahan came in at NE and had a top 10 class.

Nebraska does not need to be Iowa west developing a cyclical 7 to 9 win blue ball program.

A good coach can turn this thing around in 2 years.

FFS It's better if they can recruit. Winning is not like acquiring seniority on the job taking years of Paul Rhoades in order to get James Franklin taking years in order to get a Pete Carroll.

You find a Pete Carroll and he turns it around in 2 years. Seen this so many times. At university's that do not have a winning pedigree.

Blueblood not blue ball. Please and thank you.
Time will tell if we ever reach elite status again on a consistent basis

i am convinced that had Frost been just mediocre here - 7 to 9 wins per year - an occasional 10 - he would have been our Kirk Ferentz and a lifer because surely no one could have ever been better than Scottie

maybe we dodged a bullet and we hire someone where mediocre won’t be acceptable to the fanbase

Reactions: Frozone
Time will tell if we ever reach elite status again on a consistent basis

i am convinced that had Frost been just mediocre here - 7 to 9 wins per year - an occasional 10 - he would have been our Kirk Ferentz and a lifer because surely no one could have ever been better than Scottie

maybe we dodged a bullet and we hire someone where mediocre won’t be acceptable to the fanbase

I feel like I've been unjustifiably kicked in the nuts watching Nebraska the last 4 years.

Watch Scott go coach another team in a G5 to an undefeated season....would be another kick in the nuts.

Someone remind me which old huskers we should listen to and which we shouldn’t?

His opinion is no more relevant than anyone else that’s not a complete idiot.

Reactions: mgbreis
I feel like I've been unjustifiably kicked in the nuts watching Nebraska the last 4 years.

Watch Scott go coach another team in a G5 to an undefeated season....would be another kick in the nuts.
It will absolutely happen within three years. Because our program is cursed. And then you will have some fans who want to bring him back for a second chance.

Well I still prefer a head coach with a good track record as a P5 head coach. That said, if I had to take another chance on a non-P5 coach I would consider Deon. He's an intriguing coach.

Reactions: huntered
Can anyone give two reasons why Coach Prime would be a bad hire?
1) 0 experience in P5
2) there’s no evidence that being a successful HBCU coach translates to the above
3) has accomplished less than Klieman/Leipold
4) wants to be closer to a black community, which Nebraska is not

Reactions: WHCSC and Sinomatic
Can anyone give two reasons why Coach Prime would be a bad hire?

What kind of staff do you think he would put together? Do you think they will be able to out-coach the other coaches in the Big Ten?

Frost dominated the AAC Conference, but was horribly overmatched in the Big Ten. And the HBCU league is a much lower level than the AAC. Success in a lower-level conference does not guarantee success in a Power 5 conference.

1) 0 experience in P5
2) there’s no evidence that being a successful HBCU coach translates to the above
3) has accomplished less than Klieman/Leipold
4) wants to be closer to a black community, which Nebraska is not
1 is valid
2 is the same as 1 as you noted
3 is not relevant, is it? I was not asking you to compare him to other coaches, just asking to list 2 reasons why he would be a bad hire.
4. You might be right on 4, I have no idea. Even if that is the case, if he took the NU job, it seems like it would not be an issue.

What kind of staff do you think he would put together? Do you think they will be able to out-coach the other coaches in the Big Ten?

Frost dominated the AAC Conference, but was horribly overmatched in the Big Ten. And the HBCU league is a much lower level than the AAC. Success in a lower-level conference does not guarantee success in a Power 5 conference.
Out coach who?

Fleck?
Brohm??
Locklsey?
Schiano? Allen?
Tucker?

I mean, right now there are 2 "really good" coaches in the Big Ten. I mean it is all a guess, but I don't see why he could not put together a great staff.

Yes I do...I also think he would bring in top 15ish talent instead of top 25 talent.

3 is not relevant, is it? I was not asking you to compare him to other coaches, just asking to list 2 reasons why he would be a bad hire.
totally relevant.

Mike Riley was a bad hire in part because he was less accomplished than Whittingham who was also available.

It will absolutely happen within three years. Because our program is cursed. And then you will have some fans who want to bring him back for a second chance.

The program is not cursed. Nebraska has historically been bad at hiring coaches. They were forced to take their 4th choice in Devaney who was recommended by a coach with a lessor record and turned them down lol. One guy they interviewed barely had a 50% record....they had to SETTLE for a legend.

They need to hire Hugh Freeze or Luke Fickell and put their squibbles about it to bed. Time to quit screwing around.

Some interesting takes. I agree with his comment that Nebraska should hire a coach who can recruit to compete with the big boys, not just Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Hiring Prime would be similar to hiring Frost where both had success at the lower level but are unproven coaching a P5 school. I believe Prime will do something or say something that will blow-up. He made his riff with the Alabama State coach into too big of a deal. Isn't the story about the team? Prime is always going to make it about him.

Out coach who?

Fleck?
Brohm??
Locklsey?
Schiano? Allen?
Tucker?

I mean, right now there are 2 "really good" coaches in the Big Ten. I mean it is all a guess, but I don't see why he could not put together a great staff.

Yes I do...I also think he would bring in top 15ish talent instead of top 25 talent.

People said the same thing when Frost was hired...."There aren't many great coaches in the Big Ten, Frost was National Coach of the Year, he will instantly be one of the best coaches in the league"....well, he got out-coached by all of those guys you listed. Do you honestly think Deion is a brighter football mind than most of the coaches in the Big Ten?

I first saw Carriker playing for Kennewick High School. He was a big boy playing quarterback. His team was pretty good. As I remember he had a pretty good game at Qb the night I watched him. Kennewick along with Pasco and Richland make up Washington's Tri-Cities. Located in Eastern Washington on sagebrush flats where the Snake River flows into the Columbia. I can't believe the population is now over 200,000. Lots of growth. Nearby is the Hanford Site where the radioactive material for the atom bombs used in WWII was made. Now the whole industry there is cleaning up the site. That will go on forever.

sanders at dc, would be a acceptable move for trev...I like the idea

I first saw Carriker playing for Kennewick High School. He was a big boy playing quarterback. His team was pretty good. As I remember he had a pretty good game at Qb the night I watched him. Kennewick along with Pasco and Richland make up Washington's Tri-Cities. Located in Eastern Washington on sagebrush flats where the Snake River flows into the Columbia. I can't believe the population is now over 200,000. Lots of growth. Nearby is the Hanford Site where the radioactive material for the atom bombs used in WWII was made. Now the whole industry there is cleaning up the site. That will go on forever.
Is this where he lives now? Seems like he's close to some mountains and skiing. He's got a nice big family and they're playing a lot of sports.

People said the same thing when Frost was hired...."There aren't many great coaches in the Big Ten, Frost was National Coach of the Year, he will instantly be one of the best coaches in the league"....well, he got out-coached by all of those guys you listed. Do you honestly think Deion is a brighter football mind than most of the coaches in the Big Ten?
Yes.

But I have no facts to back that up. Just my guess.

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
I agree he is worth considering.

Tier 1 high chance of success, guys like Urban, Fickell, or Kiffin aren't realistic

Tier 2 moderate chance of success candidates: Rhule, Aranda, Gundy, etc. are looking less likely by the day

Tier 3 you get into high risk guys (Mickey Joseph, Lance Leiopold, Coordinators with no HC experience) or guys with lower ceilings (Klineman, Matt Campbell).

If we are going to go with a tier 3 high risk guy anyway, then I'd rather it be with a guy like Deon who will bring immediate credibility to Nebraska for recruiting. Dude got the #1 recruit to come to Jackson State. If he fails, at least you have a talented roster for the next coach.

ADVERTISEMENT