ADVERTISEMENT

AD says it's about Championships, but hires a coach with none

bomber89

Assistant Head Coach
Oct 12, 2004
That makes total sense! Why say it's about Championships bit hire a coach with none & was a .501 winning percentage? It starts with the AD!

When I say championships I mean conference or higher, heck even DIVISION!

He bet his chips on a bluff hand. Hoping for the best but usually knows how that goes down.

Riley will get it done people! Things look dark now but once the talent is in house things will get much better.

Riley will get it done people! Things look dark now but once the talent is in house things will get much better.
Once he gets talent? By the time he gets his recruiting classes in, he's going to be gone by 5 years no matter how well he does. If you're going to hire a 60+ year old coach, he better be able to win with the talent he has.

Reactions: bomber89
Right now, Iowa is having a very good year. Ferentz is keeping the wolves at bay. How Iowa finishes the year is important. He is getting the most out of his talent. Injuries, I think, until recently were minimal. He, like Riley, over the years gets the most out of his talent. Finds the diamonds in the rough and does a good job of development. As a good example, look at guys in the NFL from Iowa. I think Iowa has more guys in the league than Nebraska. His biggest problem is getting enough speed and skilled players to Iowa City. Iowa, like us, has to deal with the lack of population in the state and surrounding region. They have a fervent and supportive fan base too. Hey, 2016 is a new year for Iowa and they might go back to the kind of year were having.

Right now, Iowa is having a very good year. Ferentz is keeping the wolves at bay. How Iowa finishes the year is important. He is getting the most out of his talent. Injuries, I think, until recently were minimal. He, like Riley, over the years gets the most out of his talent. Finds the diamonds in the rough and does a good job of development. As a good example, look at guys in the NFL from Iowa. I think Iowa has more guys in the league than Nebraska. His biggest problem is getting enough speed and skilled players to Iowa City. Iowa, like us, has to deal with the lack of population in the state and surrounding region. They have a fervent and supportive fan base too. Hey, 2016 is a new year for Iowa and they might go back to the kind of year were having.
Big Red can beat Iowa, but Iowa sure offers a contrast to what is being witnessed in Lincoln. They have been shredded by injuries, and I think that's what is surprising to me, is the roll through that and look solid and tough, if not spectacular. Emphasis on tough. They are sound and stubborn on defense, and the OLine is really good.

Based on what body of evidence throughout his career?

What evidence was there on Saban?

How about Pete Carroll?

Or, Les Miles.

Might as well tell us about Brady Hoke before Michigan.

While you're at it, let us know about Rich Rod, pre and post Michigan.

Add Charlie Strong to your research.

Include Al Golden while you're at it.

Bo never won less than 9 in Lincoln, according to you and the body of evidence, he will win 9 at YSU this year, right? Ya know, body of evidence.

Butch Davis, big time at Miami bit didn't carry over that body of evidence to UNC. Why is that?

Houston Nutt, Dan Hawkins, all with a body of evidence, oops...

Really look forward to your response.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
What evidence was there on Saban?

How about Pete Carroll?

Or, Les Miles.

Might as well tell us about Brady Hoke before Michigan.

While you're at it, let us know about Rich Rod, pre and post Michigan.

Add Charlie Strong to your research.

Include Al Golden while you're at it.

Bo never won less than 9 in Lincoln, according to you and the body of evidence, he will win 9 at YSU this year, right? Ya know, body of evidence.

Butch Davis, big time at Miami bit didn't carry over that body of evidence to UNC. Why is that?

Houston Nutt, Dan Hawkins, all with a body of evidence, oops...

Really look forward to your response.
Saban left Toledo and MSU in much better shape when he left. Les Miles did the same at Okie State. We are the only program who fires 9 win coaches for coaches coming off losing seasons. Eichorst could have went after a top assistant or a hot coach in the MAC or Conferencs USA for example, but he chose an average 62 year old coach. The track record is there. I would even argue there was more hope with Callahan. The guy brought some top flight recruiters with him, and there was no track record of how he would be a college head coach like Pete Carroll had none when he was hired. We are just seeing more of the same that OSU fans saw with Riley and his assistants.

Reactions: StretchLimousine
Saban left Toledo and MSU in much better shape when he left. Les Miles did the same at Okie State. We are the only program who fires 9 win coaches for coaches coming off losing seasons. Eichorst could have went after a top assistant or a hot coach in the MAC or Conferencs USA for example, but he chose an average 62 year old coach. The track record is there. I would even argue there was more hope with Callahan. The guy brought some top flight recruiters with him, and there was no track record of how he would be a college head coach like Pete Carroll had none when he was hired. We are just seeing more of the same that OSU fans saw with Riley and his assistants.

What you're saying is, Riley would've been the right hire in December 2007 since he had OSU on the upswing but not in 2014 because they were on a downswing...

....Lol, you really can't believe the crap you just posted. Can you?!?

I don't want a top defensive or offensive coordinator as Nebraskas' next head coach. Too risky. I want Mike Riley to retire at Nebraska with the vast majority of NU fans wishing he would coach another few years. Probably around 68 To 70 years of age. Hopefully, with a few big 10 championships and consistent top 10 finishes at the end of his coaching career.

Hiring a head coach outside the power 5 conferences is better than a top assistant but still a bigger gamble than I would like. Mike Riley has not won conference championships. He is a CEO type with many qualities to be very successful at NU. I hope all his assistants pan out. If not I hope he has the guts to replace them. For some head coaches, the firing of assistants is their Achilles heel. To loyal to assistants who are also close friends.

Mike Riley has a reputation for developing talent, getting the most out of said talent and finding diamonds in the rough who really develop. I think Oregon State has similar number of players in the NFL like Nebraska. The first year at Nebraska is hard to gauge. Not going to a bowl is not a good thing if it happens. But a new system, players bad habits, lack of for sure top line talent, depth issues, injuries all have hindered our season. We have 5 losses by the combined point total of 13 points? Close but yet so far.

Our coaching has had questionable moments but I think year two will be better and smoother. Transition years are hard to gauge. Someone posted Michigan has 16 more rivals four and five star players on their roster(2011-2015 classes). If you really believe in rivals rankings, than Michigan definitely has more talent than NU in 2015. I think recruiting rankings like rivals are solid but very subjective. In no way should they be thought of as gospel as to who the best players are in the present but especially the future. Too many factors at play here.

Mike Riley was a home run hire. Not a grand slam like Urban Meyer or Jim Harbaugh. Those 2 schools had natural ins with their head coaches. Give Mike Riley and his staff time to turn around Nebraska. We are rebuilding. It's not a demolition and start over project. But it's not just a complete paint job either. Somewhere in between. I think Mike Riley aches to win championships. I would guess he envied somewhat the advantages of schools who are in contention for championships on the conference and national level. He wants one last chance to achieve what he only dreams of at Oregon State. NU is a have school without that fricking population advantage. GBR

That makes total sense! Why say it's about Championships bit hire a coach with none & was a .501 winning percentage? It starts with the AD!

Only in to say Riley does have two CFL championships, so can't say none...carry on

I don't want a top defensive or offensive coordinator as Nebraskas' next head coach. Too risky. I want Mike Riley to retire at Nebraska with the vast majority of NU fans wishing he would coach another few years. Probably around 68 To 70 years of age. Hopefully, with a few big 10 championships and consistent top 10 finishes at the end of his coaching career.

Hiring a head coach outside the power 5 conferences is better than a top assistant but still a bigger gamble than I would like. Mike Riley has not won conference championships. He is a CEO type with many qualities to be very successful at NU. I hope all his assistants pan out. If not I hope he has the guts to replace them. For some head coaches, the firing of assistants is their Achilles heel. To loyal to assistants who are also close friends.

Mike Riley has a reputation for developing talent, getting the most out of said talent and finding diamonds in the rough who really develop. I think Oregon State has similar number of players in the NFL like Nebraska. The first year at Nebraska is hard to gauge. Not going to a bowl is not a good thing if it happens. But a new system, players bad habits, lack of for sure top line talent, depth issues, injuries all have hindered our season. We have 5 losses by the combined point total of 13 points? Close but yet so far.

Our coaching has had questionable moments but I think year two will be better and smoother. Transition years are hard to gauge. Someone posted Michigan has 16 more rivals four and five star players on their roster(2011-2015 classes). If you really believe in rivals rankings, than Michigan definitely has more talent than NU in 2015. I think recruiting rankings like rivals are solid but very subjective. In no way should they be thought of as gospel as to who the best players are in the present but especially the future. Too many factors at play here.

Mike Riley was a home run hire. Not a grand slam like Urban Meyer or Jim Harbaugh. Those 2 schools had natural ins with their head coaches. Give Mike Riley and his staff time to turn around Nebraska. We are rebuilding. It's not a demolition and start over project. But it's not just a complete paint job either. Somewhere in between. I think Mike Riley aches to win championships. I would guess he envied somewhat the advantages of schools who are in contention for championships on the conference and national level. He wants one last chance to achieve what he only dreams of at Oregon State. NU is a have school without that fricking population advantage. GBR

Mike would not fire his assistants at Oregon State. Their AD asked him to make changes to his staff and that is when he grabbed the lifeline from Eichorst to come to Nebraska. We have lost 5 games by a total of 13 points. I try not to brag about that, but if you want to and it makes you feel better then knock yourself out. There will be no asterisk in the record book that states the Huskers were 4-8 in 2016 but lost several games by just a few points. They are what they are and that is poorly coached losses. Rebuilding? We fired a knucklehead of a man who coached us to at least 9 wins. I wouldn't call it a great rebuilding effort when first year out of the gate Riley loses 7-9 games. Finally you use the the following words to describe how Mike feels; aches to win, he envied and he only dreams. How do you possibly know how he feels or thinks? Because he says it in a press conference!!!
Everyone can speculate what Riley is going to do here. We can all hope he recruits the next Andrew Luck and we win lots of games. Hunches and guesses aside I would rather look at factual information. Mike's record hasn't been very good for sometime and how he has coached this year it doesn't look like it is going to change.

Mike Riley a homerun hire? I guess we will wait and see how that turns out, but his staff? Should be call them errors? Or grand slams for other teams? Get rid of Banker and Reed, and go get a top notch D coordinator for 900K.

Eichorst was a Trojan Horse that Alvarez sent to Perlman to ruin NU Athletics.

Why would Alvarez take the risk of having Pelini fired? That doesn't make any sense. He had Pelini fired the same year Wiscy nearly ran for 600 yards against NU? Doesn't add up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT