ADVERTISEMENT

ACC is drafting a proposal for all Division 1 teams quality for the NCAA basketball tournament..

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
Personally it would be better if they just expanded it to 128 teams that would mean just one more game added to the NCAA tournament..

Reactions: huskerfan66
The NCAA tournament pretty much already includes all the teams when you factor in the conference tournaments.
The only difference is 34 at large teams would no longer get a second chance if it were a pure single elimination tourney.

The NCAA tournament pretty much already includes all the teams when you factor in the conference tournaments.
The only difference is 34 at large teams would no longer get a second chance if it were a pure single elimination tourney.

No all teams qualify for the conference tournaments and the winner gets the automatic bid..
Your mistaken..34 at large berths are for teams that win their conference RPI and might not win their conference tournament .

Last edited:
No all teams qualify for the conference tournaments and the winner gets the automatic bid..
Your mistaken..34 at large berths are for teams that win their conference RPI and might not win their conference tournament .
You are right some conferences don't invite all teams to their conference tourney (which is why i said pretty much in my original post)...but any team that is in a conference tournament controls their own destiny to win the national title.

The 34 (or whatever the at large number is) at large teams essentially get a second chance since they lost in their conference tournament and still get a bid into the final 68.

Reactions: saluno22
Conference tournaments were made to make $money.. Never liked the idea of winning the league during the regular season and not getting the Automatic berth..
Conferences had to give the winner of the tournament the automatic berth so they weren’t playing for nothing other than $$$...

Reactions: saluno22
Bob Knight has advocated for this setup since back in the '90s. His view was that nobody can correctly determine the final qualifiers, and it only adds a game or two. Plus, it allows for smaller programs to get some shine. It always made sense to me as well. But it probably puts some 'experts' at risk, thus increasing unemployment. I mean what would Jerry Palm and Joe Lunardi do for a living?

Idea gets voted down and doesn’t have the backing of the events leadership...

Like I said if they want to expand that much, 128 teams would mean just one more game...

Cancelling of the NCAA tournament costed the NCAA nearly 300 million dollar..

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT