ADVERTISEMENT

Absolutely, it's time...

chipotlehusker

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2001
Austin Texas
to update/improve our facilities....It's part of the game that we are imbedded in....Did we think that
when we entered the Big Ten that we could be one of the poor cousins? Our leadership (Osborne-
Devaney, etc.) always kep the Huskers cutting edge and known for the best facilities. This absolutely needs to continue. There is wealth and support in this state. NO? I love this state (altho I don' live here presently) but we should never consider less than the best....Right !

to update/improve our facilities....It's part of the game that we are imbedded in....Did we think that
when we entered the Big Ten that we could be one of the poor cousins? Our leadership (Osborne-
Devaney, etc.) always kep the Huskers cutting edge and known for the best facilities. This absolutely needs to continue. There is wealth and support in this state. NO? I love this state (altho I don' live here presently) but we should never consider less than the best....Right !
Hate to see more big bucks poured into Memorial Stadium but I realize the cost of a new stadium may never be in the budget. As for always having the best facilities, we certainly have been praised for being at the forefront yet Memorial Stadium is hardly the best. I realize lot’s of fans like the history of the place but I’d trade character/history for more sideline seats, more convenient restrooms, and more seat width for my expanding waistline.

Hate to see more big bucks poured into Memorial Stadium but I realize the cost of a new stadium may never be in the budget. As for always having the best facilities, we certainly have been praised for being at the forefront yet Memorial Stadium is hardly the best. I realize lot’s of fans like the history of the place but I’d trade character/history for more sideline seats, more convenient restrooms, and more seat width for my expanding waistline.
I can't even imagine, nor do I want to imagine, leaving Memorial behind...

Non of us will ever see a new stadium. IF it ever happens it will be long after we are all gone.

Wasn’t this covered recently in an interview by Bill

Though facilities were good enough for now?

Paying old coaches salaries was a priority to get debt free

Reactions: husker2612
Hey it's always fun to think about shinny new toys....but no chance they build a new stadium. Let's do some comparisons:

Seattle just got awarded a hockey team, they have plans to renovate the existing stadium- cost $700 million.

The newest football stadium that I can think of is Atlanta Falcons- cost $1.6 billion, granted this has a retractable roof which you could shave off $100-$150 million off for that and some other non needed luxuries. Also keep in mind seating capacity is 71,000 in Atlanta- I can't imagine we'd want to go down in seats too much from Memorial so that's another 15k seats than that place needed.

So ballpark numbers for a nice joint that we'd be proud of, would be in the neighborhood of $1.2-$1.4 Billion. Unless Warren is cutting a check that is not happening.

The Green Baby Packers have Lambeau field which is bowl shape so not that many seats between the 20 yard lines, in 2013 they added about $7,000 more seats to bring capacity up to 82k, guess where these are? Way up in the end zone.

Texas A&M has a few tiers and a solid amount of seats between the 20 yard lines.... but I've been to some games there and take a look at pics, they have a Large number of end zone seats on both sides, way up high.

Most of the issues I am hearing has to do with seats being cramping together (so we could widen seats (lose some capacity) and bathrooms/concessions. Money can be spent on this. These issues are not unobtainable. Is Memorial the perfect Holy Grail for watching games, no but I can bet 90% of schools wish they had what we have.

Are they looking into adding more seats to South Stadium? They could probably fit a few on top of Manter Hall.

Reactions: Can o' corn
I actually like sitting at the top of the south stands, pretty much see everything from there. Ohio State has added on over the years, and the same outfit that originally built their stadium built Nebraska's as well decades ago. And no, Warren Buffet will never kick in tons of money for a new stadium, he'll buy more ice cream before he does that. ;)

Facilities are going to have diminishing returns. Everybody has good facilities these days. You can build brand new facilities and be pretty well off for a couple years, but a few years down the line others are going to pass you. Unless you build something outlandish that has nothing to do with football, there's not really much you could add to facilities that others don't already have. I honestly think facilities are to the point where it's more of a distraction to the players than it gives any benefit to recruiting. Facilities don't really matter as far as having a good workout program for the players. As far as workout facilities go, having players put in the work is far more important.

You can build as many facilities as you want, some players are going to hang out there all the time, some are going to want to get away from it all for awhile. The ones who hang out at the facilities all day are not necessarily the ones putting in the most work. I think there are a lot of other things that can give you a better return on your investment than facilities.

Reactions: chipotlehusker
Wasn’t this covered recently in an interview by Bill

Though facilities were good enough for now?

Paying old coaches salaries was a priority to get debt free
Read the December 2nd article in the OWH, Moos says that are football facilities are probably 8-9th in the BIG. Also, we will have all of our former coaches paid off in 2 months.

I built my PC back in 2013. Almost time for a new build.
looking at how often this Android phone hiccups on me during the day now, thinking how could this happen in just 29 short months... do I really want to take the hit on a new iphone.. I guess it is time..

looking at how often this Android phone hiccups on me during the day now, thinking how could this happen in just 29 short months... do I really want to take the hit on a new iphone.. I guess it is time..
Mine has started acting up lately. I wonder if they had a batch patch on the Android OS or something changed?

In particular my adaptive brightness response time went to shit and it's super annoying.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Mine has started acting up lately. I wonder if they had a batch patch on the Android OS or something changed?

In particular my adaptive brightness response time went to shit and it's super annoying.
Motorola? It had been a decent phone, but really went to crap lately as well. Studders, freezes, & sometimes won't charge.

I actually like sitting at the top of the south stands, pretty much see everything from there. Ohio State has added on over the years, and the same outfit that originally built their stadium built Nebraska's as well decades ago. And no, Warren Buffet will never kick in tons of money for a new stadium, he'll buy more ice cream before he does that. ;)
When I go, that's usually where my tickets are, too. I agree, sitting high enough up, you see the plays develop a lot better. Was more pointing out how absurd the south stadium's growth outward is.

Sat in the east stadium expansion for the spring game a couple years back. Now that view was amazing.

Hey it's always fun to think about shinny new toys....but no chance they build a new stadium. Let's do some comparisons:

Seattle just got awarded a hockey team, they have plans to renovate the existing stadium- cost $700 million.

The newest football stadium that I can think of is Atlanta Falcons- cost $1.6 billion, granted this has a retractable roof which you could shave off $100-$150 million off for that and some other non needed luxuries. Also keep in mind seating capacity is 71,000 in Atlanta- I can't imagine we'd want to go down in seats too much from Memorial so that's another 15k seats than that place needed.

So ballpark numbers for a nice joint that we'd be proud of, would be in the neighborhood of $1.2-$1.4 Billion. Unless Warren is cutting a check that is not happening.

The Green Baby Packers have Lambeau field which is bowl shape so not that many seats between the 20 yard lines, in 2013 they added about $7,000 more seats to bring capacity up to 82k, guess where these are? Way up in the end zone.

Texas A&M has a few tiers and a solid amount of seats between the 20 yard lines.... but I've been to some games there and take a look at pics, they have a Large number of end zone seats on both sides, way up high.

Most of the issues I am hearing has to do with seats being cramping together (so we could widen seats (lose some capacity) and bathrooms/concessions. Money can be spent on this. These issues are not unobtainable. Is Memorial the perfect Holy Grail for watching games, no but I can bet 90% of schools wish they had what we have.

Cut student seats from 8k to 4k...our student section is about a lame as they go...nothing like the other big 10 schools...and improve seating throughout the stadium...even add in individual seating and delete the student seats in south stadium. We do not need a 91k stadium in an era of declining ticket sales when people can have a cheaper more comfortable experience at home. Eff man...half of our home games this year had shiite weather. Back in 1980 you were stuck watching pixels on a 22 inch box with crap sound...so going to the game was a great experience...now people have 100 inch, real life experience with replay, commentary, food, warmth, and friends and family.

I think the University wants to continue to play on campus. I suppose the old fair grounds is considered on campus, now.

Someone brought up putting a roof on memorial, are there any engineers out there that could speculate on one of those inflatable domes like the metrodome and kingdome were?

But, other than the locker rooms, does the stadium proper really affect players much, other than having a dome or not? But, no b1g team plays in a dome regularly, nor does any big time program for that matter, that I can think of, off hand.

I think the University wants to continue to play on campus. I suppose the old fair grounds is considered on campus, now.

Someone brought up putting a roof on memorial, are there any engineers out there that could speculate on one of those inflatable domes like the metrodome and kingdome were?

But, other than the locker rooms, does the stadium proper really affect players much, other than having a dome or not? But, no b1g team plays in a dome regularly, nor does any big time program for that matter, that I can think of, off hand.
It would be stupid to put a dome in. It makes sense in the NFL for teams like Minnesota that could be playing until the middle of January, or Arizona where it's over 100 in the beginning of the season. Other than those extreme conditions, football should be played in the elements. It makes no sense to have a dome in college.

Cut student seats from 8k to 4k...our student section is about a lame as they go...nothing like the other big 10 schools...and improve seating throughout the stadium...even add in individual seating and delete the student seats in south stadium. We do not need a 91k stadium in an era of declining ticket sales when people can have a cheaper more comfortable experience at home. Eff man...half of our home games this year had shiite weather. Back in 1980 you were stuck watching pixels on a 22 inch box with crap sound...so going to the game was a great experience...now people have 100 inch, real life experience with replay, commentary, food, warmth, and friends and family.

Give the student section better seats. Moving them back sucked.

Aside from adding a south stadium scoreboard and escalators to the endzones, the stadium itself doesn't need work done.

BUT the Osborne complex was built in 2006. Thats a millenia in this context. It's time to move the track across from Devaney and build a new football complex on it's footprint.

Then renovate the colleseum into a Nebraska hall of fame museum moving everything fan related out of North Stadium.

This was basically my take for the last few years, word for word.... until I attended the Minnesota game this season. It was a great atmosphere that cannot be duplicated sitting at home in front of the 100 inch. It kind of changed my mind about attending games. I'm fine with whatever they do, but it IS a fantastic in-person experience. Not sure what to do about the students, I'm guessing they will come around as the team improves.

Start winning games like we used too and that student section will explode! This is after all a University and students should get first crack at the experience before others do... I would love to see that section going nuts like we see on TV from other stadiums... We have a lot of great traditions but sadly we're severely lacking in that department

With full BTN ownership share now allowing media rights in the neighborhood of $55 million a year, and the various payouts to fired coaches behind us, it is time to start planning for the next round of upgrades. Remember, planning and implementation could take five years to complete.

As far as the players are concerned, I think all of the facilities could use a refresh. Ensure the locker room, weight room, training table, academic support areas, and meeting rooms are on par with the best in the country.

For the fans, South Stadium is an obvious target. They need to get the supercomputing center out from under the stadium and into its own building. Then they need to totally rebuild the underside of South Stadium like they did with the North. New concourses, new restrooms, new concessions, etc. Top it with skyboxes as well.

While they're at it, they really need a museum for Husker athletics. What history they have is scattered around here and there inside the stadium. The average recruit probably has no idea Nebraska was a dominant force back in the leather helmet era. It would be nice to remind them that Nebraska's history didn't just start in the 90's. Or do they even know about that era? Fans would love it, especially those visiting from out of town.

Reactions: scarletred
Start winning games like we used too and that student section will explode! This is after all a University and students should get first crack at the experience before others do... I would love to see that section going nuts like we see on TV from other stadiums... We have a lot of great traditions but sadly we're severely lacking in that department
Naw, nothing against college kids but the culture has changed...technology is better, fewer kids care about the big 3 sports, and few college kids were even alive in 97, let alone remember it. We can't pretend that a select demographic of kids...25k students between the ages of 18-22 are going to take 8000 seats is ridiculous. This is like allotting 8k seats just for Hastings Nebraska and expecting it to be filled. The football program is for the state, not the students, it is a state university that supports the state in its endeavors and relies on the state for its income. The parents of the students or the adults who have actually paid off their loans are the ones who should be given the tickets if we are getting technical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT