ADVERTISEMENT

A theory on how long it may take Frost with the Huskers....

huskerssalts

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 6, 2014
Beatrice Nebraska
Looking at Clemson Tigers and Dabo Swinney and how long it took Dabo to get Clemson to a National Power. Clemson, before Dabo Swinney, wasn’t a very good team, they only had a couple 9-4 seasons and outside that they basically went 7-5 to 7-6 most years. And only recruited top 30-45 nationally. Then they hired Dabo Swinney and it took him about 3-4 years before he really started taking off. His third year Clemson and Dabo went 10-4, a lose in the Orange Bowl and a 22nd finish. It was year 4 when Clemson finally went 11-2 and dam near a top 10 finish (they actually hit 11th in the final AP).

Now assuming Scott Frost is a Head Coach that’s in Dabo’s league...we could expect big time results in 3-5 years. Clemson wasn’t anything special at all before Dabo Swinney and it took Dabo his 4th season to hit the big time results. The biggest question is, is Scott Frost a similar Head Coach to Dabo Swinney? If so, And i honestly believe he is, we should expect big time results in roughly 4 years...maybe closer to 5 years. It might take Frost an extra year or so because the BIG 10 is a tougher conference then the ACC.

And I went with Clemson over any other teams because they are a team that was close to our level pre Swinnney. We seen what a top tier Head Coach can do with a team like Clemson....Frost should be able to awaken the Huskers as well. Clemson wasn’t even a blue blood and wasn’t even recruiting in the top 25s before Dabo. Thoughts...??? Again...just a theory.

I can agree with that. A top tier coach is what you need. Let’s just see if Scott is that. You have to make the program sexy. Something I believe Scott can do, and maybe another good coach like Chris Petersen can’t. You have to be better than good.

Looking at Clemson Tigers and Dabo Swinney and how long it took Dabo to get Clemson to a National Power. Clemson, before Dabo Swinney, wasn’t a very good team, they only had a couple 9-4 seasons and outside that they basically went 7-5 to 7-6 most years. And only recruited top 30-45 nationally. Then they hired Dabo Swinney and it took him about 3-4 years before he really started taking off. His third year Clemson and Dabo went 10-4, a lose in the Orange Bowl and a 22nd finish. It was year 4 when Clemson finally went 11-2 and dam near a top 10 finish (they actually hit 11th in the final AP).

Now assuming Scott Frost is a Head Coach that’s in Dabo’s league...we could expect big time results in 3-5 years. Clemson wasn’t anything special at all before Dabo Swinney and it took Dabo his 4th season to hit the big time results. The biggest question is, is Scott Frost a similar Head Coach to Dabo Swinney? If so, And i honestly believe he is, we should expect big time results in roughly 4 years...maybe closer to 5 years. It might take Frost an extra year or so because the BIG 10 is a tougher conference then the ACC.

And I went with Clemson over any other teams because they are a team that was close to our level pre Swinnney. We seen what a top tier Head Coach can do with a team like Clemson....Frost should be able to awaken the Huskers as well. Clemson wasn’t even a blue blood and wasn’t even recruiting in the top 25s before Dabo. Thoughts...??? Again...just a theory.
Its a good example as 2008 NU and Clemson were almost exactly in the same spot. Dabo did not just start as a great coach that administration went all in with everything. They went out and bought coordinators and paid them the top wage for the time, they also went out and redid all facilities to not just compete but set the standard. We must do the same, hiring Frost was a great start but we need to put all our chips on the table to reach the top again

Its a good example as 2008 NU and Clemson were almost exactly in the same spot. Dabo did not just start as a great coach that administration went all in with everything. They went out and bought coordinators and paid them the top wage for the time, they also went out and redid all facilities to not just compete but set the standard. We must do the same, hiring Frost was a great start but we need to put all our chips on the table to reach the top again

Exactly why i went with Clemson and Dabo Swinney. It reminded me of our Huskers. Frost won’t have the luxury of Lincoln Riley with OU or Ryan Day at OSU. He will have to build it up like Dabo at Clemson.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think this is probably the best comparison available.

I hope Frost is as good a HC as Swinney. I agree with you that he's definitely got the promise of being great, and he is probably the only coach working right now that has the level of goodwill with the state and the administration that Swinney had at Clemson.

If they want to be great again, I think everyone knows they have to invest everything in it. What's that funny line from Inglorious Basterds? "You know how you get to Carnegie Hall, don't ya? Practice."

Nebraska arguably is a model for how so many programs gained in prominence over the years: At our peak, very few programs had the investment and support of an entire state like we did. Resources, high school football buy-in, popular support, and the benefit of being by far the biggest thing going in the state all pumped into the program. We'll reach it again.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I have already shown you all that Dabo started getting Top 15 classes almost immediately. He got Clemson where they are with recruiting top 15 classes, not counting on diamonds in the rough and development.

2009 - Clemson 12 recruits #37 (9-5 in 2009)
2010 - Clemson 24 recruits #19 (6-7 2010)
2011 - Clemson 29 recruits #8 (10-4 2011)
2012 - Clemson 20 recruits #14 -(11-2 in 2012)
2013 - Clemson 23 recruits #14 -(11-2 in 2013)
2014 - Clemson 22 recruits #13 - (10-3 in 2014)
2015 - Clemson 25 recruits #4 - (14-1 in 2015 national runner up)

With Frost at Nebraska

2018 - Nebraska 25 recruits #21
2019 - Nebraska 28 recruits #15
2020 - ??????

So for Frost to keep up, he is going to have to start bringing in top #15 classes from here on out. Dabo had a 9-5 season in year 1 and followed it up with 6-7 in year 2. But 10 wins plus from year 3 on.

Now I know this is a sore subject with some of you, but as you can see it took top 15 classes for Dabo to get Clemson to national prominence.

I have already shown you all that Dabo started getting Top 15 classes almost immediately. He got Clemson where they are with recruiting top 15 classes, not counting on diamonds in the rough and development.

With Frost at Nebraska

2020 - ??????

So for Frost to keep up, he is going to have to start bringing in top #15 classes from here on out. Dabo had a 9-5 season in year 1 and followed it up with 6-7 in year 2. But 10 wins plus from year 3 on.

Now I know this is a sore subject with some of you, but as you can see it took top 15 classes for Dabo to get Clemson to national prominence.

So Dabos first two years he had a top 37 class and then second year had a top 19 class? Frost year one he had a top 20 class, year two had a top 15 class and is currently on third recruiting class...so far he’s right on par with Dabo and Clemson then. Good to know...thanks Tuco. Frost should have no issues getting top 20 and up classes. And once he starts showing those wins...he will only improve on it.

Edited...actually it’s not a sore subject. Your correct. Frost has to keep hitting those top 20 plus classes and he will. Hell he pulled a top 15 class while going 4-8. Once we pulls in a 8-4 to 9-3 season this year...it should only improve. So alls good. Your correct. And I’m completely glad to see Frost is doing exactly what Dabo has done recruiting wise up to this point. GBR

Last edited:
So Dabos first two years he had a top 37 class and then second year had a top 19 class? Frost year one he had a top 20 class, year two had a top 15 class and is currently on third recruiting class...so far he’s right on par with Dabo and Clemson then. Good to know...thanks Tuco. Frost should have no issues getting top 20 and up classes. And once he starts showing those wins...he will only improve on it.

Edited...actually it’s not a sore subject. Your correct. Frost has to keep hitting those top 20 plus classes and he will. Hell he pulled a top 15 class while going 4-8. Once we pulls in a 8-4 to 9-3 season this year...it should only improve. So alls good. Your correct. And I’m completely glad to see Frost is doing exactly what Dabo has done recruiting wise up to this point. GBR

So you are expecting a top 10 class this year?

And to be fair Dabo's 37th ranked class had only 12 recruits. Frost's first class had 25. Low numbers affected the rating. That class had 7/12 four stars, while Frost had 9/25. In year 2 Frost 11/28 four stars, Dabo 9/24.

16 four star players of 36 recruits 44% in first 2 years for Dabo
20 four star players of 53 recruits 37% in first 2 years for Frost.

10/29 (4 5 star and 6 4 star) in year 3 which put Dabo at 26/65 40% after 3 years

Assuming we see a class in the range of 22 players, for Frost to keep pace at 40%, we need to see 10 4 stars out of those 22. It could happen.

Last edited:
I would think that a solid winning season this year (at least 8) would really help with his 4th class.

I like the Swinney comp. That type of success is what every Nebraska fan is hoping for.

That being said, Nebraska should be better in years two and three than Clemson was under Swinney because of 2AM and the scheme Nebraska will run offensively. We'll have to hope to see parallels defensively to the dynasty-level success Swinney has had in years four and beyond, though.

I found this comp interesting. A coach recently went:

5-7
8-5
10-3
11-2

All while signing classes ranked between #16 (his only top 20 class) and #49, having what some would call recruiting disadvantages relative to the best teams in the nation, and playing in a conference that was ridiculously dominant to the point it produced the National Champion every season he was there.

That coach was Bobby Petrino at Arkansas, 2008-2011. I expect to see this type of progression at Nebraska at minimum. I don't, however, expect to see Coach Frost holding a news conference in a neck brace with road rash at any point during his illustrious coaching career with the Huskers.

after 2011 Clemson put all their chips on the table. The OC became the highest paid OC in the country and the DC was hired as the highest paid in the country. They decided to see if in fact money could buy happiness on the field and they found out it can. Dabo is a fine coach but not a wizard, that administration drove them to the top

Last edited:
So you are expecting a top 10 class this year?

And to be fair Dabo's 37th ranked class had only 12 recruits. Frost's first class had 25. Low numbers affected the rating. That class had 7/12 four stars, while Frost had 9/25. In year 2 Frost 11/28 four stars, Dabo 9/24.

16 four star players of 36 recruits 44% in first 2 years for Dabo
20 four star players of 53 recruits 37% in first 2 years for Frost.

10/29 (4 5 star and 6 4 star) in year 3 which put Dabo at 26/65 40% after 3 years

Assuming we see a class in the range of 22 players, for Frost to keep pace at 40%, we need to see 10 4 stars out of those 22. It could happen.
everyone knows where you and jilb stand

I like the Swinney comp. That type of success is what every Nebraska fan is hoping for.

That being said, Nebraska should be better in years two and three than Clemson was under Swinney because of 2AM and the scheme Nebraska will run offensively. We'll have to hope to see parallels defensively to the dynasty-level success Swinney has had in years four and beyond, though.

5-7
8-5
10-3
11-2

All while signing classes ranked between #16 (his only top 20 class) and #49, having what some would call recruiting disadvantages relative to the best teams in the nation, and playing in a conference that was ridiculously dominant to the point it produced the National Champion every season he was there.

That coach was Bobby Petrino at Arkansas, 2008-2011. I expect to see this type of progression at Nebraska at minimum. I don't, however, expect to see Coach Frost holding a news conference in a neck brace with road rash at any point during his illustrious coaching career with the Huskers.

Accurate, however, Petrino took over from Nutt who had gone 10-4 and won the division in 2006 and 8-5 in 2007. So he was starting with a bit of a leg up in returning players.

You are correct with their recruiting

2005 - 24th with 4 blue chip players
2006 - 27th with 5 blue chip players
2007 - 31st 4 blue chip players
2008 - 36th 6 blue chip players - 5-7
2009 - 16th 9 blue chip players - 8-5
2010 - 49th 3 blue chip players - 10-3
2011 - 24th 4 blue chip players - 11-2

5-7
8-5
10-3
11-2

This is an interesting comparison that I don't think I've ever seen before. I forgot how good they were his last year there; their only two losses were to Alabama and LSU-the two teams that played for the national championship. And who knows how far he could have taken them after that if he had been able to stay out of trouble. If he could do that well that quickly at a place like Arkansas, especially while playing in the toughest division in college football, I see no reason why Frost can't get on a similar trajectory.

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
When a turnaround happens, it usually happens pretty quick, usually year 3 or year 4. Some teams recently have even had a lot of success in year 1 or 2. With Martinez and some of the other weapons we have on offense, it's looking like we should be poised for a breakout season by year 3 or year 4. If it doesn't happen then, I don't know that it's going to get any easier as time goes on.

With Frost at Nebraska

2020 - ??????

Why is that a sore subject? Looks like Frost can pull top 15 classes, and his first two were better than Dabos.
I have said in past threads that top 15 is the goal.

Why is that a sore subject? Looks like Frost can pull top 15 classes, and his first two were better than Dabos.

It is a sore subject because there are some on here that take exception the the blue chip theory. That Nebraska cannot recruit at that level because of location and difficulty in travel, and parents, and cold.

I am glad that you agree that top 15 is the goal, the folks that I was directing my comment to, don't necessarily believe that the top 15 is a goal. Some believe that can recruit in the 20's and that Scott Frost and his staff can just develop that talent to compete for national titles.

And it is. If we can keep recruiting top 20 and up, Frost will more then load the talent up enough to compete and win at a big time level. Once then wins come, we will get ourselves a few more of those top 50 players that teams want so badly (heck we have a couple in this class now as a matter of fact). GBR.

Accurate, however, Petrino took over from Nutt who had gone 10-4 and won the division in 2006 and 8-5 in 2007. So he was starting with a bit of a leg up in returning players.

Apologies to the OP for this thread high jack, but I can't agree with that sentiment.

Only three 4* players contributed significantly to Petrino's teams that committed to Nutt. Only ONE of those 4* players actually played for Nutt.

Below are the leaders of those teams statistically along with the year they signed. Every 4* who led the team in a major statistic that was a Nutt holdover is underlined. Every player italicized committed to Petrino. Note: If a 2008 player committed to Nutt, I have categorized them accordingly.

Passing Yards/Touchdowns
2008: 5.6 3* Casey Dick, 2005
2009: 6.1 5* Ryan Mallett, 2008
(Michigan transfer)

2010: 6.1 5* Ryan Mallett, 2008
(Michigan transfer)

2011: 5.8 4* Tyler Wilson, 2008
***5.8 4* Nutt holdover Tyler Wilson was backup QB in 2009 and 2010, passing for a combined 600 yards

Receiving Yards
2008: 5.8 4* D.J. Williams, 2007
2009: 5.6 3* Greg Childs, 2008
2010: 5.9 4* Joe Adams, 2008
2011: 5.8 4* Jarius Wright, 2008
***5.8 4* Nutt holdover Jarius Wright finished second in receiving yards in 2009 and 2010

Receiving Touchdowns

2008: 5.8 4* D.J. Williams, 2007(tie), Andrew Davie (tie, No Rivals Profile)
2009: 5.9 4* Joe Adams, 2009(tie), 5.6 3* Greg Childs, 2008
2010: 5.9 4* Joe Adams, 2009(tie), 5.6 3* Greg Childs, 2008 Arkansas (tie), 5.7. 3* Kobi Hamilton, 2009
***5.8 4* Nutt holdover Jarius Wright finished second in receiving touchdowns in 2008 and 2009

Rushing Yards
2008: 5.5 3* Michael Smith, 2005
2009: 5.8 4* Broderick Green, 2009
(USC transfer)

2010: 5.9 4* Knile Davis, 2009
2011: 5.5 3* Dennis Johnson, 2008
***The player who finished second each was not a 4* inherited from Nutt

Rushing Touchdowns
2009: 5.8 4* Broderick Green, 2009 (USC transfer)
2011: 5.8 4* Broderick Green (USC transfer) (tie), 5.7 3* Kody. Walker, 2011
***5.8 4* Nutt holdover QB Tyler Wilson finished second in rushing touchdowns in 2011

Sacks
2008: 5.5 3* Malcolm Sheppard, 2006
2009: 5.2 2* Adrian Davis, 2006
2010: 5.5 3* Jake Bequette, 2007
2011: 5.5 3* Jake Bequette, 2007

Tackles
2008: 5.6 3* Jerry Franklin, 2007
2009: 5.6 3* Jerry Franklin, 2007
2010: 5.6 3* Jerry Franklin, 2007
2011: 5.6 3* Jerry Franklin, 2007

Interceptions
2010: 5.5 3* Tramain Thomas, 2008
2011: 5.5 3* Tramain Thomas, 2008

Fumbles Forced
2009: 5.5 3* Tenarius Wright, 2008
2010: 5.8 4* DeQuita Jones, 2009

There was holdover talent, but it wasn't star power talent as you can see by the number of 3* players listed (which is the point you're trying to necessitate for the Huskers in relation to the Nebraska/Clemson comparison, correct?).

As for disadvantages, Nick Saban joined the division in 2007. I don't know exactly how to classify that, but it's noteworthy.

Apologies to the OP for this thread high jack, but I can't agree with that sentiment.

Only three 4* players contributed significantly to Petrino's teams that committed to Nutt. Only ONE of those 4* players actually played for Nutt.

Below are the leaders of those teams statistically along with the year they signed. Every 4* who led the team in a major statistic that was a Nutt holdover is underlined. Every player italicized committed to Petrino. Note: If a 2008 player committed to Nutt, I have categorized them accordingly.

Passing Yards/Touchdowns
2008: 5.6 3* Casey Dick, 2005
2009: 6.1 5* Ryan Mallett, 2008
(Michigan transfer)

2010: 6.1 5* Ryan Mallett, 2008
(Michigan transfer)

2011: 5.8 4* Tyler Wilson, 2008
***5.8 4* Nutt holdover Tyler Wilson was backup QB in 2009 and 2010, passing for a combined 600 yards

Receiving Yards
2008: 5.8 4* D.J. Williams, 2007
2009: 5.6 3* Greg Childs, 2008
2010: 5.9 4* Joe Adams, 2008
***5.8 4* Nutt holdover Jarius Wright finished second in receiving yards in 2009 and 2010

Receiving Touchdowns

2008: 5.8 4* D.J. Williams, 2007(tie), Andrew Davie (tie, No Rivals Profile)
2009: 5.9 4* Joe Adams, 2009(tie), 5.6 3* Greg Childs, 2008
2010: 5.9 4* Joe Adams, 2009(tie), 5.6 3* Greg Childs, 2008 Arkansas (tie), 5.7. 3* Kobi Hamilton, 2009
***5.8 4* Nutt holdover Jarius Wright finished second in receiving touchdowns in 2008 and 2009

Rushing Yards
2009: 5.8 4* Broderick Green, 2009
(USC transfer)

2011: 5.5 3* Dennis Johnson, 2008

Rushing Touchdowns
2009: 5.8 4* Broderick Green, 2009 (USC transfer)
2011: 5.8 4* Broderick Green (USC transfer) (tie), 5.7 3* Kody. Walker, 2011
***5.8 4* Nutt holdover QB Tyler Wilson finished second in rushing touchdowns in 2011

Sacks
2009: 5.2 2* Adrian Davis, 2006
2010: 5.5 3* Jake Bequette, 2007

Tackles
2010: 5.6 3* Jerry Franklin, 2007
2011: 5.6 3* Jerry Franklin, 2007

Interceptions
2010: 5.5 3* Tramain Thomas, 2008
2011: 5.5 3* Tramain Thomas, 2008

Fumbles Forced
2009: 5.5 3* Tenarius Wright, 2008
2010: 5.8 4* DeQuita Jones, 2009

There was holdover talent, but it wasn't star power talent as you can see by the number of 3* players listed (which is the point you're trying to necessitate for the Huskers in relation to the Nebraska/Clemson comparison, correct?).

As for disadvantages, Nick Saban joined the division in 2007. I don't know exactly how to classify that, but it's noteworthy.

So taking over 4-8 is the same as taking over for a team coming off 8-5?

I actually agreed with your post other than the fact Patrino took over a bowl team and Frost did not.

Sorry you spent an hour or more gathering stats to argue a point I wasn’t making. If you had posted my entire reply, you would have seen I was in agreement. This is one example of a P5 program turning getting to the top 5 without elite talent.

Until our recruits start tweeting pictures like Clemson recruits, we aren’t recruiting like Clemson.

157124.jpg

157125.jpg

I think watching the whole development angle will be interesting. Certainly folks are looking for a 2 year turn around or whatever, and it may well happen, Frost certainly seems upbeat about our team.

I feel like though some of the position groups will take longer than that to bake, LB perhaps, and probably OL than it would take on a Southern team. Certainly we aren't recruiting at the tippy top for the OL and we have a bunch of guys who need to be molded into something. That takes time.

Adrian is something special and Frost knows it, so hopefully he can put together something workable across all the position groups by year 3 to make a run at something, be it our first conference title in 20 years or something more even.

The NCAA only slaps a few teams once in awhile. They could put every team in the SEC on probation for paying players. OleMi$$ is perfect example. They pay players left and right and their players are so stupid they post all their cash grab pics all the time. They get slapped with little violations and are back in business buying players. They won't mess with the cash cows that are Bama and Clemson. They are in bed together along with E$PN. All paid whores.

Reactions: vs540husker
So taking over 4-8 is the same as taking over for a team coming off 8-5?

I actually agreed with your post other than the fact Patrino took over a bowl team and Frost did not.

Sorry you spent an hour or more gathering stats to argue a point I wasn’t making. If you had posted my entire reply, you would have seen I was in agreement. This is one example of a P5 program turning getting to the top 5 without elite talent.

Taking over one program is never the same as taking over another. There are only parallels that are either supported or not. Your parallel was not supported by the data.

The time spent is irrelevant, but saying that a coach who takes over a program where you have one contributing 4* that is a holdover (and only one holdover 4* on the OL on the entire roster) is at some sort of advantage because they won the division two years prior is so ridiculous it needs to be explained to the person making that claim. For future reference, simply try not to do your research in a vacuum and you'll stop having these types of conversations every day.

Taking over one program is never the same as taking over another. There are only parallels that are either supported or not. Your parallel was not supported by the data.

The time spent is irrelevant, but saying that a coach who takes over a program where you have one contributing 4* that is a holdover (and only one holdover 4* on the OL on the entire roster) is at some sort of advantage because they won the division two years prior is so ridiculous it needs to be explained to the person making that claim. For future reference, simply try not to do your research in a vacuum and you'll stop having these types of conversations every day.

Petrino took over a program that was in similar shape to what Riley took over at Nebraska. By all accounts Riley was a failure. However, most every Nebraska football fan thinks he should have at least continued to win 9 plus games.

The fans at Arkansas saw a team coming off 2 relatively successful seasons, I would have to believe the expectation was to continue at that pace, especially when they hired Petrino, who may well have been the top hire that year.

It isn’t a vacuum. He Inherited a better situation than what Frost did.

As I said before, I agreed with you except that the programs were at equal footing at the time the coach was hired.

after 2011 Clemson put all their chips on the table. The OC became the highest paid OC in the country and the DC was hired as the highest paid in the country. They decided to see if in fact money could buy happiness on the field and they found out it can. Dabo is a fine coach but not a wizard, that administration drove them to the top

Dabo hired Brent Venables after getting blown out by West Virginia in the Orange Bowl 70-33..

That was the most important hire he made that changed things around and why they are where they are today..

Petrino took over a program that was in similar shape to what Riley took over at Nebraska. By all accounts Riley was a failure. However, most every Nebraska football fan thinks he should have at least continued to win 9 plus games.

The fans at Arkansas saw a team coming off 2 relatively successful seasons, I would have to believe the expectation was to continue at that pace, especially when they hired Petrino, who may well have been the top hire that year.

It isn’t a vacuum. He Inherited a better situation than what Frost did.

As I said before, I agreed with you except that the programs were at equal footing at the time the coach was hired.

You're basing that success off of teams with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones and recruiting rankings built on Mitch Mustain being there. None of those guys were with Petrino. Plus, there was ONE, yes ONE, 4* offensive lineman on the roster and one 4* OL recruit committed when Petrino took the job. I've already broken down the minimal carryover contributions from big recruits. This is what you are calling an advantage built on two prior season records viewed in a vacuum.

As for the teams that had success the two years prior, the two teams prior to that both had losing records. Frost took over a Nebraska team that had losing records in two of four years and produced a losing record. Petrino took over a team that had a losing record in two of four seasons and produced a losing record. Riley took over a Nebraska team that hadn't seen a losing record in seven years and produced two losing seasons. Once again, parallels are there, just not the ones you're presenting.

You're basing that success off of teams with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones and recruiting rankings built on Mitch Mustain being there. None of those guys were with Petrino. Plus, there was ONE, yes ONE, 4* offensive lineman on the roster and one 4* OL recruit committed when Petrino took the job. I've already broken down the minimal carryover contributions from big recruits. This is what you are calling an advantage built on two prior season records viewed in a vacuum.

As for the teams that had success the two years prior, the two teams prior to that both had losing records. Frost took over a Nebraska team that had losing records in two of four years and produced a losing record. Petrino took over a team that had a losing record in two of four seasons and produced a losing record. Riley took over a Nebraska team that hadn't seen a losing record in seven years and produced two losing seasons. Once again, parallels are there, just not the ones you're presenting.

I’ll share a parallel that is in there. Teams without Elite talent can win some games against teams with elite talent. What they can’t do is Win titles. Arkansas that year was just like Wisconsin or Michigan St or Washington and Nebraska 1973-1993.

It is a sore subject because there are some on here that take exception the the blue chip theory. That Nebraska cannot recruit at that level because of location and difficulty in travel, and parents, and cold.

I am glad that you agree that top 15 is the goal, the folks that I was directing my comment to, don't necessarily believe that the top 15 is a goal. Some believe that can recruit in the 20's and that Scott Frost and his staff can just develop that talent to compete for national titles.

I'm actually somewhat confused about what all the butt hurt has been about vis a vis recruiting expectations over the years. We all basically want NU to win titles, but some folks are going to get redder in the face over whether a given staff should be held to Top 10/15/20 expectations than others.

I guess where the rubber meets the road for me is this...Frost was as big name a hire as existed short of us reeling in a Saban or Meyer or Swinney or Peterson and none of those guys are available.

Frost isn't recruiting at a Top 10/15 level and seems to have us in that Top 20 range as a baseline number. If that's not good enough because of the statistical probabilities and the NU needs to be Top10/15 every year, then let's fire him now and find someone who will get it done on that front. I don't see who that guy is though, is the trick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT