ADVERTISEMENT

A tale of two programs ...

csorensen

Walk On
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2004
I am an NU alum and a season ticket holder. I moved to South Carolina in 2000 and live close to Clemson where my wife has season tickets. I go to many Clemson games and consider myself an objective observer (albeit biased toward NU). You may not agree, but I needed to get the following off my chest:

Many folks have made snide comments about Dabo Swiney and Clemson. Say what you want about Dabo but he runs a clean program; the recruits, players, coaches and fans love him and he is getting the job done. He is stacked with talent for years to come.

Just about 10 years ago Bo and Dabo were in their first year of head coaching and NU barely beat Clemson in the Gator Bowl -- the teams were pretty equal in personnel. Look at the two programs now! Dabo hired the first $1M Offensive Coordinator in Chad Morris, then hired Brent Venables from Oklahoma as DC who was, this year, named Assistant Coach of the year. You saw the result against OsU last evening in Phoenix.

I think there is plenty of blame: Steve Pedersen (for being himself); Harvey Pearlman for hiring Osborne as AD who hired Bo; Osborne and NU for being too cheap to hire good assistants and provide enough air power for recruiting; Bo for being a lazy, conceited, bullying jackass and Eichorst who wouldn't go on an extensive recruiting search for a known, big-name head coach. Riley may have a chance but he is going to have to fire the DC and get a big-name guy and Cav who can't seem to get the O-line job done. Recruiting goes without saying. Also, our facilities are OK, but nothing spectacular any more. Clemson has bowling alleys, their own barber shop, water slides and all kinds of stuff to attract these pampered 4&5 star recruits. Also, there is no comparison in the game day experience. Clemson caters to recruits completely before, during half-time, etc. with music, features on the big screens (black cheer leaders, etc). I hate to say it but NU is "lost in the 90's" and I don't think they have a clue as to how to get out.

The whole Big 10 has it's head up it's a** and is showing it this bowl season. Until they get a new commissioner, they are going to continue to be about the 3rd or 4th best conference in the country.

I'll be willing to bet Clemson beats Alabama this year.

Sorry for the rant, but I just came back from the "Music City Bowl" and the pathetic performance NU put on against a mediocre SEC team. Very sad and discouraging! The Tennessee radio announcer said "this looks like sandlot football with a bunch of 12 year-olds beating the crap out a bunch of 8 year olds." I pretty much agree.

I am not renewing my season tickets next year and they have been in the family for three generations.

Happy 2017!

This is premium content. Please subscribe to view.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.