ADVERTISEMENT

A Sample of the Nebraska Spread

Cool. He's praising the beautifully constructed play while going easy on the QB who is misreading plays and not making passes.

If AM executes like UFCs Milton, our offense is much deadlier and we win more of these games. Gotta be extremely frustrating to see so many missed opportunities.

I know it's an extremely small sample so obviously could be very misleading but seems to me like the biggest obstacle is poor execution by the players. Scheme concept sounds really good. Guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that a new OC can help with play execution.

The solution would appear to be more practice and more repetition. Unfortunately we're already behind the 8 ball this year with having missed the bulk of Spring practice.

The mystery to me is just why UCF was able to master the offense in a shorter period of time. That, I don't understand.

Former NFL QB J.T. O’Sullivan has a cool YouTube channel called “The QB School”. Here’s a small clip he did on Nebraska.

Great stuff. Also he confirms what many of us have been saying. Martinez and his poor QB play was a big factor in why we lost a few of those games. Frosts offense relies heavily on a accurate, poised QB. IMO Martinez is not accurate enough to make this offense hum. I would love to know the wide open guys he missed last year for TDs. I think Smothers is the only guy on roster than will be able to be an accurate enough passer to make this work.

I know it's an extremely small sample so obviously could be very misleading but seems to me like the biggest obstacle is poor execution by the players. Scheme concept sounds really good. Guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that a new OC can help with play execution.

The solution would appear to be more practice and more repetition. Unfortunately we're already behind the 8 ball this year with having missed the bulk of Spring practice.

The mystery to me is just why UCF was able to master the offense in a shorter period of time. That, I don't understand.
mckenzie milton is why

Everything about him was quick. Moved quick, made decisions quick, released quick. I get that same feel from Smoothers.
You saw that cadence and tempo out of Vedral, but he did not have the skill set of Milton to pull it off.

Our QB has to also be the 'fast blinker'. Speed kills, not just playing, but also reading, comprehending and deciding. I fear it took a step back last season.

Was Milton that much better than Martinez, or is the level of play just slightly lower at the AAC level that these plays were even more wide open?

Milton was pretty special when I watched him play. I'm hoping our guys get to that level.

When I watch this stuff I see how close we really are. If all 11 guys execute we will be tough to play. I still struggle is it talent or coaching? The concepts are solid, execution not so much.

Awesome video. At times, AM2 is a little more bothered by pressure than he needs to be, which is why you get that throw on play number 2. I actually dont mind his throw on play number 3 because if he leads the WR (think its JD there) normally, then possibly the DBs on that side could come off of their guy and make a play.

Love getting the all 11s film and then the view from behind the defense to see the QBs eyes. If this guy does a full game, I'd sign up in a second.

Reactions: HominidHusker
snap anxiety, nagging injury, not enough "it", hangovers. take your pick or something else?

giphy.gif

Reactions: huntered and tpmcg
Awesome video. At times, AM2 is a little more bothered by pressure than he needs to be, which is why you get that throw on play number 2. I actually dont mind his throw on play number 3 because if he leads the WR (think its JD there) normally, then possibly the DBs on that side could come off of their guy and make a play.

Love getting the all 11s film and then the view from behind the defense to see the QBs eyes. If this guy does a full game, I'd sign up in a second.

I see what you are saying about the DB in play 3, but on this particular play, he could have put some air under the ball and threw it anywhere from the hash to the number or even the sideline and anywhere between the 40 and 32 and it may have went for 6. The safety was stuck in the middle of the field, the DB that I think you are talking about is in man and has his back to the ball.

On play 2, I agree with the this guy in that either Martinez was expecting a different route or the ball slipped out of his hand. It didn't look clean, emphasized by how he thought it might have been tipped. I loved his suggestion to get the RB out of there and take the LB with him. Two things about that, I don't know that the RB wasn't supposed to vacate and didn't. Also with the amount of time needed to get those routes open, and the relative weakness of the OL, he may have been needed in pass protection.

EDIT - that route by the outside WR was dirty.

On play 1 I am confused on the blocking scheme or if the RB was supposed to bust it outside. the LT and LG combo the DE and they push him inside, the NT slants right and the C pushes him outside, so there was no hole there, especially when the MLB fills that gap. Then you have the pulling LT get in there as well. That is like 9 guys in a 5 square yard space, just seems like horrible spacing.

Reactions: huntered
Yes that is the DB I was talking about. I've seen some really good players make that play, but it's rare

My guess is they had better athletes in the OL, receiving corp and running backs. And Milton had a lot better year than AD this past season.

Reactions: keilwitzg
On the double post it almost looks like the RB in pass pro basically backs into Martinez's lap and brings the LB with him.

Can't step into the throw, it throws off his concentration, bad ball.

Noa's head after the underthrow just like "BRUH...I was gone"

Great example of how little, hard to notice things turn a TD into an incompletion.

An ugly thing or two here and there can blow a whole drive. Hence me hanging my hat on giving it to Mills, he can run ugly and get yards even when the blocking is mediocre.

Reactions: huntered
confident alot of areas will look better this year. the same group of plays will require a great defensive play to stop us. opinion now, fact later

wait I thought Frost forgot how to call plays? Oh okay so it is player execution then

On all three plays, AM2 had to jump to get the ball from the center. That had to have played a factor. Thankfully, at the end of the year, ball seemed to be delivered accurately from the Center.

wait I thought Frost forgot how to call plays? Oh okay so it is player execution then

or plays are being called the players aren't capable of or weren't taught effectively to execute at an acceptable success rate

or plays are being called the players aren't capable of or weren't taught effectively to execute at an acceptable success rate
Right so Martinez short arms a 30 yard slant, but hits Stanley Morgan on a 40 yard sideline pass against Ohio State last year, and that's a coaching error.....makes sense....let's continue to preach accountability but not actually hold players accountable for execution and continue to blame coaches for literally everything. Not sure how much clearer that could have been. Great play call, wide open receiver, Martinez missed the throw.

Frost may not have forgotten how to call plays, but he is definitely calling them differently at Nebraska than he did in the past. The number show that to be true. Be that because he doesn't have a QB that can consistently throw the ball accurately or on time or doesn't have the OL to block or whatever number of factors you want to use.

I do know this, his QBs run the ball more times per game at Nebraska than they did at Oregon and at UCF. If I am not mistaken, every QB that has played in a game has missed time due to injury. Call that coincidence or whatever you want to call it.

Reactions: TheBeav815
On all three plays, AM2 had to jump to get the ball from the center. That had to have played a factor. Thankfully, at the end of the year, ball seemed to be delivered accurately from the Center.

On what 3 plays? The first play the ball was shoulder high and a touch left, on the second play it was off to the right and on the third play, it was near perfect. So either you forgot to use the sarcasm button or we were watching a different 3 plays.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Because they can’t make the reads and throws like his players at UCF could. But like you said, some of that could be to O line, and or good enough players on the wide out position.

Frost may not have forgotten how to call plays, but he is definitely calling them differently at Nebraska than he did in the past. The number show that to be true. Be that because he doesn't have a QB that can consistently throw the ball accurately or on time or doesn't have the OL to block or whatever number of factors you want to use.

I do know this, his QBs run the ball more times per game at Nebraska than they did at Oregon and at UCF. If I am not mistaken, every QB that has played in a game has missed time due to injury. Call that coincidence or whatever you want to call it.
Just a personal opinion, I feel like at UCF it was more about speed and doing things fast, basically the same concept as Oregon. Here, I feel like he's really trying to find that correct balance between old school Husker Power and that Oregon Speed. And that's why we see the change in play calling.

Just a personal opinion, I feel like at UCF it was more about speed and doing things fast, basically the same concept as Oregon. Here, I feel like he's really trying to find that correct balance between old school Husker Power and that Oregon Speed. And that's why we see the change in play calling.

And the injuries to his QBs

I don’t think he wants to run the quarterbacks that muchI think he wants to be able to throw the ball more efficiently than what happened in the last two years.

If you look at the pace, That really isn’t all that different. I don’t think Frost was ever a play every 15 seconds. He got people lined up and ready to go fast, but actually the One of the only times he ran plays Really quickly was when he got you in a defense that couldn’t match up, then he would run the same play over and over until you called a timeout or were able to sub.

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Right so Martinez short arms a 30 yard slant, but hits Stanley Morgan on a 40 yard sideline pass against Ohio State last year, and that's a coaching error.....makes sense....let's continue to preach accountability but not actually hold players accountable for execution and continue to blame coaches for literally everything. Not sure how much clearer that could have been. Great play call, wide open receiver, Martinez missed the throw.

if you are given credit for players executing your play calls such that you are able to negotiate a contract that pays you 5 million dollars then you also get saddled with the blame when your players dont execute your play calls.

if you are given credit for players executing your play calls such that you are able to negotiate a contract that pays you 5 million dollars then you also get saddled with the blame when your players dont execute your play calls.
what's the money have to do with it?

would you be happier if it were 1 million? 100,000?

what's the money have to do with it?

would you be happier if it were 1 million? 100,000?

nope .. 5million was market value .. fine with the number

but if you are given credit or take credit when players execute -- you also get the blame when they don't

ADVERTISEMENT