ADVERTISEMENT

A nugget from an ISU Position Coach

x35goahs

Walk On
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2005
Take this for what it's worth...

A buddy of mine was college teammates/close friends with one of the ISU position coaches (actual position coach, not a GA). This coach mentioned to my buddy that he thinks it's going to be harder to get Matt Campbell out of Ames than people might realize. Supposedly the comments about Campbell being super close with this team to the point that it would be difficult for him to walk away are 100% accurate. He told my buddy "Coach Campbell is just a different cat, he's just not going to be enticed by a salary alone."

Reactions: FSC1214

A buddy of mine was college teammates/close friends with one of the ISU position coaches (actual position coach, not a GA). This coach mentioned to my buddy that he thinks it's going to be harder to get Matt Campbell out of Ames than people might realize. Supposedly the comments about Campbell being super close with this team to the point that it would be difficult for him to walk away are 100% accurate. He told my buddy "Coach Campbell is just a different cat, he's just not going to be enticed by a salary alone."
Good. We don't want him.

Last edited:
As long as Campbell wins about 60% of his games, gets to bowls consistently, and occasionally beats Iowa, he will have job security there for as long as he wants, and will have more money than he could ever spend. He knows the expectations and pressure would be much higher at Nebraska.

And I don't think he'd be near the top of the list any way.

Reactions: HuskerDana
A young coach like Campbell could have a Rich Brooks type run at Oregon without really accomplishing much, but having solid seasons...Bank the cash and then cash in on a bigger type job in his late 50s

N offers a great tradition, which doesn't matter much now and in fact has fallen to an also-ran status at best, a wonderful fanbase which is important, a big time stadium plus facilities, unreal expectations, and tons of money.

The expectations will offset the money for most thoughtful men. N will end up with a fine coach not now at the power five level, unless it be an exception like Ku's guy who is trying to drag the hawks into relevance.

I'm guessing someone like UW's former excellent coach Peterson, an NFL guy like Baylor's former coach Rhule or Texas's Tom Herman, or someone off the sidelines, Urban.

Last edited:
"Coach Campbell is just a different cat, he's just not going to be enticed by a salary alone."

Oh, playing hard to get, is he? 🙂

I'm not saying I necessarily want any of them, but I think any coach in what will be left of the Big 12 would be foolish not to look around at opportunities in other conferences.

Reactions: x35goahs
I would be very disappointed with Alberts if he even considered Campbell. I think Campbell has hit the ceiling of College football and will never be considered more than an average coach, don't want.
he probably has hit the ceiling of Iowa state

I think we are kicking to the curb a lot of coaches that came in at bad situations or are at mediocre schools who have improved things to the point of getting 7-9 win seasons - while those records are not the ultimate goal at NU there is a chance they could take the next step at NU with improved resources, money etc. If not you are certainly in a better situation to get the next guy being a perennial 8-9 win program

KSU-ISU are examples of the above

I don’t think we are getting a proven power 5 coach who is already winning at the ultimate level we expect

we need someone who has taken a losing or .500 team and improved from there and hope they can make the leap from good to very good at NU

Reactions: WHCSC
I remember defending the Mike Riley hire by saying "look what he did at Oregon State". I feel the same about Matt Campbell. Water always reaches it's level, he's a good coach but not elite. I'd be on the side on an Urban Meyer type and keep Mickey to be groomed as the future.

he probably has hit the ceiling of Iowa state

I think we are kicking to the curb a lot of coaches that came in at bad situations or are at mediocre schools who have improved things to the point of getting 7-9 win seasons - while those records are not the ultimate goal at NU there is a chance they could take the next step at NU with improved resources, money etc. If not you are certainly in a better situation to get the next guy being a perennial 8-9 win program

KSU-ISU are examples of the above

I don’t think we are getting a proven power 5 coach who is already winning at the ultimate level we expect

we need someone who has taken a losing or .500 team and improved from there and hope they can make the leap from good to very good at NU
Which is why I would love to see Leipold given this opportunity he has turned every program around.

Reactions: PCastro
Campbell wouldn't be my first choice on the surface but I'm not being paid to make that decision

That said, do you think openly any coach at this stage of the season would show their cards and say I'm interested publicly?? 🤔

Also Campbell HAD a huge buyout at one time. With portal if he's so attached to players, coaches can bring players along

I think Campbell could take a better job. I don't think it will be Nebraska though.

This is great news!

It would be like hiring young Mike Riley...dude went to a school with no expectations to be good...and he met them!

Reactions: drubendall
As long as Campbell wins about 60% of his games, gets to bowls consistently, and occasionally beats Iowa, he will have job security there for as long as he wants, and will have more money than he could ever spend. He knows the expectations and pressure would be much higher at Nebraska.
The expectations is why you are headed for coach #6. As stated previously Campbell is already at a better program. Why would he want to start over from scratch a try to resuscitate the Knebbers FB program.

Reactions: FSC1214
Campbell wouldn't be my first choice on the surface but I'm not being paid to make that decision

That said, do you think openly any coach at this stage of the season would show their cards and say I'm interested publicly?? 🤔

Also Campbell HAD a huge buyout at one time. With portal if he's so attached to players, coaches can bring players along
Great point, and Nebraska doesn’t need to get a coach like Myer or Fickell that are going to be here three years. Unless you get some type of commitment keep searching.

If he doesnt want to leave ISU ever, then he is accepting the ceiling he has there ready. ISU is in a fading conference and will never be in contention for anything except the Big 12 maybe after the big dogs leave. And before someone says NU has no chance at titles, they almost ran the table last year with Frost as coach. Not including driving in the 4th to beat or tie Ohio St.

Last edited:

Blah, blah, blah...the right combo of money, opportunity, etc. can come along anytime. Also, no one really knows what is going on in someone's mind who is successful and motivated. He is not from Ames so I don't think he sees spending the next 20 years there. When the $ and time is right he will leave...

The one thing that I think is different about this cycle, is there will be more guys who are legitimately interested in the job than in the past. I think there will be at least 3 guys wanting the position, and then you add MJ to the list as well. Trev is going to get the opportunity to choose from among a group of candidates, something that hasn't happened here for quite some time.

Campbell is a good coach, The hard part is knowing if he could transition to a bigger program with better facilities, Larger budget, Frankly just much better resources than what he has in Ames. I believe he does a really good job of getting the most out of the talent he can procure at ISU.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I remember defending the Mike Riley hire by saying "look what he did at Oregon State". I feel the same about Matt Campbell. Water always reaches it's level, he's a good coach but not elite. I'd be on the side on an Urban Meyer type and keep Mickey to be groomed as the future.

People said the same thing about Saban at Michigan State. And James Franklin at Vandy. And Mel Tucker at Colorado. Kiffin at USC/FAU. Heupel at UCF.

Just because Riley didn't work out here, doesn't mean that Campbell couldn't become an elite coach here.

Campbell would not be top on my list. Meyer, Fickel, Leipold and Klieman would be ahead of Campbell IMO. I might even be inclined to take a risk on MJ before I take Campbell.

Campbell had a great first season and has been just okay since then.

Agree. Urban won at Bowling Green and Utah State. A great coaches can win anywhere. MC's record at ISU isn't great. Mike riley was a 55% win guy at tOSU and that's basically what he ended up being here. The idea the school is holding a coach back from winning more is fools gold.

With the portal he can bring any that want to follow him

Agree with the nah sayers above, we can do a lot better than Campbell. That said, his wife might have a different opinion on double the salary. Anyway, hope it’s not Campbell

A young coach like Campbell could have a Rich Brooks type run at Oregon without really accomplishing much, but having solid seasons...Bank the cash and then cash in on a bigger type job in his late 50su

Rich Brooks accomplished quite a bit actually. Oregon was a laughingstock prior to his arrival and he got them to a Rose Bowl and that was prior to uncle Phil putting his thumb on the scale.

Matt Campbell's high water mark on average is 8-5.

Why would he be interested in the Nebraska job? Or any other moderately successful P5 coach for that matter.

Well maybe, Pat Narduzzi. I He might take it just to fire Coach Whip...

I kid, I kid...

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Rich Brooks accomplished quite a bit actually. Oregon was a laughingstock prior to his arrival and he got them to a Rose Bowl and that was prior to uncle Phil putting his thumb on the scale.
In his 18th year he got them to a rose bowl....IN 18 seasons, he had only 7 winning records and only one time did he crack 9 wins...in his 18th year.

That is the kind of job that Iowa State can be for Matt Campbell...Be competitive and get to 7 wins 50% of the time and he probably can cash checks for years. (Rich only had 11 games most years, so he had 7 seasons where he got 6 wins or more)

He did get them to a rose bowl and was a solid coach, but by staying at a place like Oregon in the 70s and 80's, he was able to cash head coaching checks for 18 years before taking a chance at an SEC school.

You know, Johnny Majors used to coach at ISU. Tied Tom in 73. I recall he went to Pitt to coach Dorsett and win a national title before a long semi successful stint at ISU. Earle Bruce was his successor before getting hired at OSU. We don't know what Campbell could do here. We don't even know what Urban could do here. Hell, we don't know if we would have been in the position of needing to hire Frost if Riley hadn't been neutered by being forced to fire his defensive coordinator for the strain.

I want Fleck but if we got Campbell it would be an improvement. Detail orientated. Developer. Better resources.

Also hear that it’s such a tight team players will refuse to leave to play nfl. They will stay in Ames to stay part of this run

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT