ADVERTISEMENT

A Message of Hope from a Vikings Fan

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
After Nebraska’s latest huge, embarrassing disaster with Wisconsin, my wife asked me to clean my bathroom because she said it is disgusting and her mother is coming to stay with us.

As I was scrubbing the toilet and thinking about our program (which is fitting), it occurred to me that my NFL team, the Vikings, offers immense hope.

The Vikings were almost comically inept in close games. Prior to this season they had merchandise that said, “We almost always almost win.” You won’t find a more cynical group than Vikings fans.

Anyway, they hired a new, great coach. Suddenly this season they are finding ways to win every close game, and they are 8-1.

My point is this: We will have a new coach next week, and a good one could turn around things in a hurry, especially if they are competent about the transfer portal. You can flip a roster faster than ever.

Keep the faith.

And a message of pessimism from a miserable Raiders fan:

You make the wrong hire and you turn a 10-7 playoff team (with added elite WR) that won multiple one score and overtime games the previous year into a team finding creative ways to lose 3 (and counting) 17 point leads in the same season, 6 (and counting) one-score losses, and a top 2 (currently) draft pick.

These past two decades have been a revolving door of coaches for my college and NFL teams. The ownership and athletic departments can’t seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot with these hires and firings. I’m not confident in Mark Davis making these hires going forward when he makes comments such as “Rome wasn’t built in a day” (after being 20 yards away from possibly winning a playoff game 10 months ago) and “McDaniels is doing a great job” (he’s 2-7). The Raiders are essentially dead to me.

The one glimmer of football hope I have is that Trev has a chance to make the right hire, with the once proud program having struck the iceberg years ago and going down by the head… the hire has to be an absolute homerun for there to be any hope of being relevant in the Big Ten West.

It feels like we have struck rock bottom, but that’s not the case… make the wrong hire and the Titanic will continue to sink.

Last edited:
As a fan of Nebraska football, Kentucky basketball and football, Yankees baseball and Chicago Bears football my Bourbon intake has increased tremendously.

Reactions: MargotDeeper
After Nebraska’s latest huge, embarrassing disaster with Wisconsin, my wife asked me to clean my bathroom because she said it is disgusting and her mother is coming to stay with us.

As I was scrubbing the toilet and thinking about our program (which is fitting), it occurred to me that my NFL team, the Vikings, offers immense hope.

The Vikings were almost comically inept in close games. Prior to this season they had merchandise that said, “We almost always almost win.” You won’t find a more cynical group than Vikings fans.

Anyway, they hired a new, great coach. Suddenly this season they are finding ways to win every close game, and they are 8-1.

My point is this: We will have a new coach next week, and a good one could turn around things in a hurry, especially if they are competent about the transfer portal. You can flip a roster faster than ever.

Keep the faith.
Eff the Vikings. Hope they crash and burn.

Reactions: MargotDeeper
As a fan of Nebraska football, Kentucky basketball and football, Yankees baseball and Chicago Bears football my Bourbon intake has increased tremendously.
Kentucky and the Yankees, huh? Cherry pick much?

Another example of a coach making a difference in his first year is my favorite NFL team, the New York Giants. After about a decade of being super conservative leading to tons of poor hiring mistakes, they stepped out of the way and let other people make the decision. Now they have a New GM and coach that has them competitive again even with all the injuries and fixed a poor OL. Never expected them to be 7-2 this year, but the new staff is aggressive and not afraid to take risks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT