ADVERTISEMENT

A little levity to keep it all in perspective

Tuco Salamanca

Athletic Director
Aug 18, 2016
Albuquerque
EeUnsMuWsAA2npy

Your kidding? Be really interesting getting into the garage with ice on the driveway
Yep. The only good news was the garage faced the west. It blows off most of the time and then melts off almost immediately. You can't park a car on it without a stout parking brake. The steep part is only about a car's length and then there's about 3/4 of a car's length that's fairly flat before you enter the garage. The lot really wasn't suited for a one the type of house they wanted to build but the contractor failed to mention that. In addition it turned out that even though they were on top of a knob with a steep bank behind the house, there's a spring under their foundation. Of course the contractor didn't think to put drain tile under the basement floor or around the footings. Amazingly I have a friend who recently built a $900,000 house and the contractor neglected to put tile under it either. I should have been over there watching what the guy was doing for him but I didn't want to be too snoopy. I continue to be amazed by the corners "reputable" contractors cut to try to save a $200.:(

this stuff happens all the time around here.
since no basements (which a lot of times is a way to use a retaining wall), any slope on a lot can become a challenge.
my driveway is not this bad, but i throw ice melt at any sign of ice.

Good friends of ours just built a new house and the driveway is very similar to what is in that pic. It's more like if top section in that pic was flat, and the next section closer to the street angled like that but even a shorter span. I drive a Yukon Denali and the first time I drove up it I gave a passing thought to whether I'd get high centered. They did it so the kids could have a basketball hoop on the top section but it's ridiculous. I predict they'll be tearing it out and repouring in less than 10 years.

That looks like my in-laws driveway. That contractor should have been shot.
I'd put more blame on the developer. This house and driveway are pretty consistent with the grade. Dumb for the homeowner for putting that house on this lot but the builder has to work with what they've got.

It would have been fun to watch the flatwork being poured. That had to have been so dry of a mix that it would be almost impossible to work with.

Mind boggling to me anyone would settle for that. I wouldn't buy that house for half of whatever they paid for it (if I had to live in it).

I have to say the more I look at that pic the more it looks like photoshop. On the other hand, the more I look a the other pic the more I.... look at the other pic.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT