ADVERTISEMENT

A few stats to ponder:

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Defense:
I thought W. Honas looked the best yesterday and sure enough led the team with 10 tackles.
Illinois ran 77 plays.
Garrett Nelson played a lot of snaps it seems and made only 1 tackle.
Ty Robinson and Damion Daniels only 2 tackles each. (for reference, Casey Rogers was in on 5)
Only 1 sack and 1 QB hurry for the team

Offense:
Luke had 26 rushing attempts
Scott 8
Wandale 7
not much balance there.

Only 1 WR and 1 TE made more than 2 catches.
We threw for less than 200 yds (177).... Again.
The majority of completions this year still are 1. short passes and 2. require the receiver to jump up, go down low, or reach behind to make a catch. Unacceptable.

Fake Punt:
How can coaches ask their players to execute when your entire staff is asleep at the wheel not having enough guys on the field?
And no one on ST is asked to count their guys?
This is some peewee level stuff.

Add in other special teams mishaps this year and the general personnel blunders from other games this year, and it’s clear coaches are not paying attention.

Frost said himself: "We got beat in every phase. Players and coaches alike."

Four games into the season:

offense
#61 in completion %
#107 in pass yds/game
#112 in yds/completion
#39 rush yds/game
#111 third down offense
#112 scoring offense

botched snaps? pretty sure we’re #119 there

defense
#61 pass yds/game allowed
#98 rush yds/game
#121 third down defense
#64 sacks/game
#78 scoring defense

other:
#119 punt return defense
#111 net punting
#118 turnover margin
#93 in penalties per game (a few bs calls for sure)

Other than rush yds/game we’re not in top 60 in any of the categories above.

#17 highest paid coach

HominidHusker’s coaching rank:
#108.... dumpster fire category

Great post. I hope there is a come to Jesus meeting with Moos. After 62 years of being a die hard, I can’t accept this product for what we are paying for

Reactions: HominidHusker
I would have a very hard time paying for season tickets to see this keep happening if I lived in NE still.

This staff is bringing in kids with good ratings and getting nothing out of them in year 3. Wan'dale looks like he is the only one out there who actually wants it most of the time.

The OL gets one shove on a guy and calls it a day. Soft coaches letting soft kids play soft football.

I would have a very hard time paying for season tickets to see this keep happening if I lived in NE still.

This staff is bringing in kids with good ratings and getting nothing out of them in year 3. Wan'dale looks like he is the only one out there who actually wants it most of the time.

The OL gets one shove on a guy and calls it a day. Soft coaches letting soft kids play soft football.
Much of the scheme Frost ran at Oregon under Chip involved basically getting in the way of the defender and letting the speed skill players make plays in space. We don't have that kind of speed maybe other than Betts. Personally I would like to see us go back to a pro set with a fullback. You can run so many different formations and types of plays out of that traditional I formation. Even if we motioned a TE back in the backfield, got under center and ran isos at times it could help all of the spread sh## Frost runs.

I still believe that a lot of this would be fixed with better QB play. AM's struggles really have set us back. Luke doesn't have enough experience at QB. Period.

Reactions: scarletred
Much of the scheme Frost ran at Oregon under Chip involved basically getting in the way of the defender and letting the speed skill players make plays in space. We don't have that kind of speed maybe other than Betts. Personally I would like to see us go back to a pro set with a fullback. You can run so many different formations and types of plays out of that traditional I formation. Even if we motioned a TE back in the backfield, got under center and ran isos at times it could help all of the spread sh## Frost runs.

I still believe that a lot of this would be fixed with better QB play. AM's struggles really have set us back. Luke doesn't have enough experience at QB. Period.
They can't run a ton of the playbook, that much is obvious. They can't do anything well enough to open up another facet of the scheme.

The QB play is a joke, I don't know if they could get a gold medal in a madden drill between the two of them.

Reactions: dinglefritz
They can't run a ton of the playbook, that much is obvious. They can't do anything well enough to open up another facet of the scheme.

The QB play is a joke, I don't know if they could get a gold medal in a madden drill between the two of them.
IN QB terms, they're both still very young and inexperienced. AM had his confidence shattered by 6 games of horrible snaps last year. He took a beating and endured multiple injuries. Luke didn't even play QB as a junior in high school. I think maybe Frost has learned a lesson in recruiting QBs or at least I hope he has. AM showed us as a true freshman that he can do the job, but man he has to have some help because he's still learning the position.

Make no mistake, Lovie threw a LOT at our young QBs yesterday. He ran multiple different looks and disguised them well. Luke was not sure what he was seeing and I don't think our OC had a handle on what to expect on any given play either. Lovie can coach defense.

Reactions: WHCSC
Have to feel bad for Garrett Nelson. Would probably be lucky to start at Nebraska Weslyn but the staff keeps giving him snaps.

The #37 rushing yards ranking is clearly largely based on what the quarterbacks have produced. If you exclude their rushing yards and Wandale's, through 4 games our entire running back corp has 169 total yards. For those of us that remember the days when the bigger question wasn't if we'd win the game but how many yards the 3rd string I back would get, that stat is hard to comprehend.

Reactions: HominidHusker
A “tad” off topic but all the information presented above makes you think about other issues heading into 2021.

This is not the type of season AD Moos needed coming off a pandemic and trying to sell season tickets in 2021 in a place that you feel like sardines in most of the stadium.

The Athletic Ticket Office might have to come up with a few new sales pitches because it is going to be an extremely hard sell if things continue down this path.

:(

Last edited:
The #37 rushing yards ranking is clearly largely based on what the quarterbacks have produced. If you exclude their rushing yards and Wandale's, through 4 games our entire running back corp has 169 total yards. For those of us that remember the days when the bigger question wasn't if we'd win the game but how many yards the 3rd string I back would get, that stat is hard to comprehend.

The RB’s have been totally MIA. I don’t blame Mills as he’s not had much to work with and then has been injured, but regardless not getting any RBs going is sad.

I’ve said before I think opposing DCs are scheming to allow our QBs loose. They fumble a lot, slide, go out of bounds, and they won’t punish a defense physically. If I’m a safety or LB I’d much rather run up on a sliding or fumbling QB than having D Mills or M Scott run me over.

IN QB terms, they're both still very young and inexperienced. AM had his confidence shattered by 6 games of horrible snaps last year. He took a beating and endured multiple injuries. Luke didn't even play QB as a junior in high school. I think maybe Frost has learned a lesson in recruiting QBs or at least I hope he has. AM showed us as a true freshman that he can do the job, but man he has to have some help because he's still learning the position.

Make no mistake, Lovie threw a LOT at our young QBs yesterday. He ran multiple different looks and disguised them well. Luke was not sure what he was seeing and I don't think our OC had a handle on what to expect on any given play either. Lovie can coach defense.

AM has attempted more passes in college than any West division qb except Ramsey. Inexperience is not the issue.

Defense:
I thought W. Honas looked the best yesterday and sure enough led the team with 10 tackles.
Illinois ran 77 plays.
Garrett Nelson played a lot of snaps it seems and made only 1 tackle.
Ty Robinson and Damion Daniels only 2 tackles each. (for reference, Casey Rogers was in on 5)
Only 1 sack and 1 QB hurry for the team

Offense:
Luke had 26 rushing attempts
Scott 8
Wandale 7
not much balance there.

Only 1 WR and 1 TE made more than 2 catches.
We threw for less than 200 yds (177).... Again.
The majority of completions this year still are 1. short passes and 2. require the receiver to jump up, go down low, or reach behind to make a catch. Unacceptable.

Fake Punt:
How can coaches ask their players to execute when your entire staff is asleep at the wheel not having enough guys on the field?
And no one on ST is asked to count their guys?
This is some peewee level stuff.

Add in other special teams mishaps this year and the general personnel blunders from other games this year, and it’s clear coaches are not paying attention.

Frost said himself: "We got beat in every phase. Players and coaches alike."

Four games into the season:

offense
#61 in completion %
#107 in pass yds/game
#112 in yds/completion
#39 rush yds/game
#111 third down offense
#112 scoring offense

botched snaps? pretty sure we’re #119 there

defense
#61 pass yds/game allowed
#98 rush yds/game
#121 third down defense
#64 sacks/game
#78 scoring defense

other:
#119 punt return defense
#111 net punting
#118 turnover margin
#93 in penalties per game (a few bs calls for sure)

Other than rush yds/game we’re not in top 60 in any of the categories above.

#17 highest paid coach

HominidHusker’s coaching rank:
#108.... dumpster fire category
Nelson has been a liability.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT