ADVERTISEMENT

A few players I’m curious about…

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Can Damion Daniels step up to be elite?
Can Jordan Riley play like the speciman he looks like?
Is Garrett Nelson quick enough to stop outside runs?
Will Caleb Tannor elevate his game given his experience?
How will the ILB’s handle their pass coverage duties?

Is elder statesman Sichterman the real deal after surpassing decent competition, or is our OL talent not where we hope?
Can a young Corcoran really hold off B1G DE’s?
While Zavier Betts has the talent, can he bring the fire?
Running backs- I’m curious.
And finally the obvious and always present elephant of said room:
Will Frost’s all eggs/one basket carrier Adrian Martinez prove worthy of the unwavering endorsement and emerge as a top level talent to bring this team out of the cellar as it teeters on the brink of total collapse?

Caleb Tannor can/should be a big time player for us. He has shown flashes.

Zavier Betts can be special. Has he put in the work?

1) An effective o-line creates an effective running game which opens up the passing game. Play calling and in-game strategy is what concerns me more. Frost needs to stop with the goofy trick plays and trust his team.

2) The loss of TC in this one game isn't bad as it allows for experience thus creating depth. Another coaching "request" would be that Frost shows faith in his guys. Let a young guy play until he proves he isnt ready. The time is now.

3) Chinander has shown he can make adjustments. I want to see them get off the field after stopping them on 3rd down. Giving up a huge play or being flagged for a penalty when it's 3rd and long crushes the defenses spirit.

4) Nebraska has the talent - they need to play as a team. Discipline has been lacking for so long. It needs to change.

5) Special teams, turnovers and penalties need to improve if this team expects to win on a consistent basis. That is the most frustrating aspect of watching a Scott Frost team.

Also worried about coaching. Whatever excuses lingered years 1-3 are now expired. Time to step up and prove their worth as a staff. Development and game planning/game management need to be on full display.
I am really curious to see the entire offense

I also want to see how willing/able we are at covering kicks/punts

Seriously, year four and we are concerned when we lose a single O lineman? Should not be.
When was the last time we weren’t worried about losing a single OL? In Pelinis last year we were starting Mark Pelini. Not having a bunch of serviceable tackles has been an issue for 15 years or so. Cole Conrad was a multiple year starter/contributor.

In Frosts defense, we finally have a handful of guys with tackle bodies on the roster.

He was listed as scout team, but he’s been praised for making a push. I think he’ll get some time if the offense can build any leads.

Question. How much of the “this guy is making a push” / “doing great things in practice” is based on continuing to recruit players on the roster? Those players they see the potential on but they are not showing it yet.

We heard great things on Yant and Joseph in the spring but now they seem to be buried on the depth chart.

Question. How much of the “this guy is making a push” / “doing great things in practice” is based on continuing to recruit players on the roster? Those players they see the potential on but they are not showing it yet.

We heard great things on Yant and Joseph in the spring but now they seem to be buried on the depth chart.
It is common coach speak for sure, but Hutmacher’s a RS Frosh and it would be normal to not surpass 5th year Damion Daniels or Junior? Jordan Riley yet. Young guys in the trenches are usually not ideal.

I think Joseph may have had an injury which could explain some.
RBs were hurt a lot in the spring giving Yant more opportunity. I still like a Yant series every game plus a few situational plays.

It is a tough market now to keep kids on the roster who aren’t playing right away. Plenty of our guys though seem to be sticking it out so far despite the attention given to the ones who leave.

When was the last time we weren’t worried about losing a single OL? In Pelinis last year we were starting Mark Pelini. Not having a bunch of serviceable tackles has been an issue for 15 years or so. Cole Conrad was a multiple year starter/contributor.

In Frosts defense, we finally have a handful of guys with tackle bodies on the roster.
I seem to recall having to move a 265 lb DE to DT because we didn't have anybody else during Bo and Carl's reign of terror. Cam Meredith. Willing kid but damn he got pushed around like a rag doll. Steinkuhler played at less than 275. Geez.

It is common coach speak for sure, but Hutmacher’s a RS Frosh and it would be normal to not surpass 5th year Damion Daniels or Junior? Jordan Riley yet. Young guys in the trenches are usually not ideal.

I think Joseph may have had an injury which could explain some.
RBs were hurt a lot in the spring giving Yant more opportunity. I still like a Yant series every game plus a few situational plays.

It is a tough market now to keep kids on the roster who aren’t playing right away. Plenty of our guys though seem to be sticking it out so far despite the attention given to the ones who leave.
I expect to see Hutmacher some this year especially if some nose guys get dinged up. He's a beast who can play right now if need be. We've got so many experienced options right now that it makes it tough for a young guy to break in.

Last edited:
I seem to recall having to move a 265 lb DE to DT because we didn't have anybody else during Bo and Carl's reign of terror. Cam Meredith. Willing kid but damn he got pushed around like a rag doll. Steinkuhler played at less than 275. Geez.
Chase Rome and Cam Meredith we’re the starting DTs for us at one point, IIRC.

Reactions: dinglefritz

A guy who started one game, highly rated out of HS. With all the talk of stocking up on O line talent and Austin's own talk of going 7-8 deep, in year 4, it should not be a major problem. Linemen are in and out of the lineup all the time.

Reactions: TheVegvisir
A guy who started one game, highly rated out of HS. With all the talk of stocking up on O line talent and Austin's own talk of going 7-8 deep, in year 4, it should not be a major problem. Linemen are in and out of the lineup all the time.
Losing your best OL is a cause for concern for basically every team. Especially at LT. Thankfully we have tackle bodies that have multiple years in the program to fill in. We don’t know how well Banks will do. But I feel a lot better with him filling in than having to put in a walk-on that is 6-3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT