ADVERTISEMENT

A.D Dannen on NIL, 1890 and the future

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven

Troy Dannen gets candid on NIL's future and Nebraska's current NIL status at 1890 Initiviate event:"Let me tell you something about NIL...it's not going to last forever. Here's what I think is going to happen, and I'm pretty sure I'm right. There is going to be an anti-trust settlement this year in the courts. Part of that anti-trust settlement, 1890 will go away. What's going to be replaced is Athletic Department revenue share. In the budget with the AD right now, we have a 20-million-dollar placeholder to share money with our athletes. We have that in our budget right now. There are three schools I think that have that in their budget: Georgia, Texas, and us. We have great advantages here: we don't have debt, we have great reserves, we have a fan base, our facilities are good...Let's talk about the next two years. NIL isn't coming in house, it's going to be replaced by something else. At Washington last year, we had an NIL football of budget of 10 (million) and went to the national championship game. Oregon's was 23 (million), Ohio State's was 23 (million). Ours here (at Nebraska) is not even 10 (million)...In the next couple of years, we'll be fighting an even fight...Right now, we're not fighting an even fight. If you ask the coaches, 'what do you need from me to be most successful', it's to support the Initiative to get athletes to Lincoln."-Troy Dannen, 1890 Annual Member Appreciation Event, 4/26/24

Last edited:
So much for the great Nebraska NIL narrative. I hoe he is right about the direction this is going and about Nebraska being prepared.

Reactions: king_kong_
So much for the great Nebraska NIL narrative. I hoe he is right about the direction this is going and about Nebraska being prepared.
agreed. I think he is right.

this stuck out like a sore thumb:

At Washington last year, we had an NIL football of budget of 10 (million) and went to the national championship game. Oregon's was 23 (million), Ohio State's was 23 (million). Ours here (at Nebraska) is not even 10 (million)...

Reactions: headcard

Troy Dannen gets candid on NIL's future and Nebraska's current NIL status at 1890 Initiviate event:"Let me tell you something about NIL...it's not going to last forever. Here's what I think is going to happen, and I'm pretty sure I'm right. There is going to be an anti-trust settlement this year in the courts. Part of that anti-trust settlement, 1890 will go away. What's going to be replaced is Athletic Department revenue share. In the budget with the AD right now, we have a 20-million-dollar placeholder to share money with our athletes. We have that in our budget right now. There are three schools I think that have that in their budget: Georgia, Texas, and us. We have great advantages here: we don't have debt, we have great reserves, we have a fan base, our facilities are good...Let's talk about the next two years. NIL isn't coming in house, it's going to be replaced by something else. At Washington last year, we had an NIL football of budget of 10 (million) and went to the national championship game. Oregon's was 23 (million), Ohio State's was 23 (million). Ours here (at Nebraska) is not even 10 (million)...In the next couple of years, we'll be fighting an even fight...Right now, we're not fighting an even fight. If you ask the coaches, 'what do you need from me to be most successful', it's to support the Initiative to get athletes to Lincoln."-Troy Dannen, 1890 Annual Member Appreciation Event, 4/26/24
So, Revenue sharing is definitely coming, but what is to stop private businesses from wanting to pay NIL as well, especially for the best of the best

Well he obviously is closer to the situation than any of us. BUT personally I don't see NIL going away, I see it co-existing with revenue sharing so there will be both in the future. I just don't see legally how any college will be able to deny students of any type the right to strike their own deals for their own name, image and likeness just because they're sharing revenue (ie., basically getting a salary). NFL players today get both a salary plus whatever deals they're able to strike for promotional purposes. Like it or not I don't see college becoming much different.

The questions I have revolve around how exactly will revenue sharing work. Are players in revenue generating sports (ie., football and basketball at most schools) only going to share the revenue? Or will it be distributed across all players for all sports? And if so, what will be the formula? Equal or not equal distributions? And how does it fit in with Title IX requirements? Will a back up player on the women's soccer team get the same revenue share as a star QB on the football team?

Now I'm NOT promoting any plan but just raising questions as to how it will all be sorted out.

Last edited:

At Washington last year, we had an NIL football of budget of 10 (million) and went to the national championship game. Oregon's was 23 (million), Ohio State's was 23 (million). Ours here (at Nebraska) is not even 10 (million)...
Stuff like this is starting to make me realize why NU hasn't been able to put it together these last several years. Sure, there were bad coaching hires, but dysfunction within the administration and culture seems to be the main driving factor.

Stuff like this is starting to make me realize why NU hasn't been able to put it together these last several years. Sure, there were bad coaching hires, but dysfunction within the administration and culture seems to be the main driving factor.
The fact anyone had even a sliver of trust in Matt Davison to organize and run an enterprise-level NIL operation speaks volumes to the delusion level of a large portion of the fanbase

Couple that with spineless lapdog media who wouldn’t dare ask a single tough question and an AD who didn’t measure success by W-L record and you can also see why there’s been zero pressure to improve until Rhule called out the whole lot publicly after the season last year

He seems to get it (thank god). Seems the AD does too.

Last edited:

I do too. I heard KU’s AD say the same thing at an event last winter.

Reactions: king_kong_
Overblown reactions here. He's spot on, and we'll be set to take advantage of it when the pieces fall into place. This is awesome.

Reactions: huskerj12

But Fat Deano said we were great! It has to be true!

Interesting takes on what Dannen said about the 1890 Initiative going away. They're basically saying that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Interesting takes on what Dannen said about the 1890 Initiative going away. They're basically saying that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Nothing will inspire 1890 employees to go the extra mile to pursue donations or members to donate quite like when the AD is the honored speaker at an 1890 appreciation dinner and he proceeds to tell them that the NIL will soon cease to exist and employees will be out of work

What a moron

Nothing will inspire 1890 employees to go the extra mile to pursue donations or members to donate quite like when the AD is the honored speaker at an 1890 appreciation dinner and he proceeds to tell them that the NIL will soon cease to exist and employees will be out of work

What a moron
You could have a point, Red.

Nope, you're still a cuck.

Our NIL is low because the state has low population and has also sucked in FB for 20 years. Old dogs like me who grew up watching Go Big Red and chip in are going to be senile or dying off soon, so they are lucky this is happening. Sort of kidding, sort of not.

I thought Nebraska’s recruiting could improve with NIL back when it was first allowed. I think I overestimated the donors ability/desire to raise money. But the good news is that even though NIL collectives are not going away, the schools being able to pay the players directly will help close the gap with the big spenders.

Our NIL is low because the state has low population and has also sucked in FB for 20 years. Old dogs like me who grew up watching Go Big Red and chip in are going to be senile or dying off soon, so they are lucky this is happening. Sort of kidding, sort of not.
I agree with this. it's also a lot easier to get people to chip in when things are currently successful rather than to help make things successful. People are weird like that.

I also think the conferences will be behind this idea. No football administration is enjoying to deal with outside influences on who, what, how much, etc is going on with their program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT