ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of Alabama football players tested positive for Covid

I assume that will be enough to cancel the season.

The timing of this isn't great. With the protests and everything going on, I wonder how long it'll take before some enterprising activist starts making the case on tv about how unfair it is that mostly white Coaches and Presidents are expecting mostly black players to practice when blacks are disproportionately hit by this disease (even by the admission of one Donald J Trump).

That could be a show stopper.

Well, is it really that big of a deal to have a couple of players test positive? Don't they just get isolated for a couple of weeks until they test negative once again? Then once they test negative they can rejoin the team. Somewhat like an injury except of course they go into isolation. Presumably they also have antibodies after they've recovered.

The only way I think it becomes a big deal is if they infect others (ie. not properly isolated while they are infectious) or if they develop those really severe symptoms (not nearly as likely in young otherwise healthy athletes).

They're probably better off testing positive in the athletic program than they would be at home where they may not even know they have the virus. At least once they've tested positive at the school, they'll get good medical care and won't be infecting families back home (like vulnerable grandparents).

Didn't the state of Texas just announce 50% of people will be allowed into live sporting events?

I think we'll get some sort of season; I wonder, though, if it will come down to scheduling opponents from specific states. Who knows.

Didn't the state of Texas just announce 50% of people will be allowed into live sporting events?

I think we'll get some sort of season; I wonder, though, if it will come down to scheduling opponents from specific states. Who knows.

Yah but they weren't the first. All that stuff is reversible as things change. Iowa has been at 50% or better for ISU and Iowa for a week or two now.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
The timing of this isn't great. With the protests and everything going on, I wonder how long it'll take before some enterprising activist starts making the case on tv about how unfair it is that mostly white Coaches and Presidents are expecting mostly black players to practice when blacks are disproportionately hit by this disease (even by the admission of one Donald J Trump).

That could be a show stopper.
hasn't happened with payment/transferability, won't happen with COVID.

Well, is it really that big of a deal to have a couple of players test positive? Don't they just get isolated for a couple of weeks until they test negative once again? Then once they test negative they can rejoin the team. Somewhat like an injury except of course they go into isolation. Presumably they also have antibodies after they've recovered.

The only way I think it becomes a big deal is if they infect others (ie. not properly isolated while they are infectious) or if they develop those really severe symptoms (not nearly as likely in young otherwise healthy athletes).

They're probably better off testing positive in the athletic program than they would be at home where they may not even know they have the virus. At least once they've tested positive at the school, they'll get good medical care and won't be infecting families back home (like vulnerable grandparents).

I don't think its a big deal yet. It is curious that folks are making a big deal about guys being back on campus, but Moos is actively trying to house athletes off campus. Some guys will start out in the dorms, but seeking waivers to move the freshman off campus as well.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

Honest truth, I think we're heading in the opposite direction with isolating the elderly and sick and letting this thing run it's course with everyone else.

If we shut down again, it will be civil war with the minority activists protesting at the same time as the white middle class people.

Honest truth, I think we're heading in the opposite direction with isolating the elderly and sick and letting this thing run it's course with everyone else.

If we shut down again, it will be civil war with the minority activists protesting at the same time as the white middle class people.

Maybe maybe not. I guess it'll depend on what pops up. MLB is going to play a truncated season, but they flatly rejected the players proposal of 114 games because they want the season done before November and a potential 2nd wave. Lots of colleges moving the academic year up to potentially do the same.

While there's going to be a substantial amount of activity between now and then, its fairly obvious that a good chunk of the powers that be are planning for more sitting around in the fall.

Even our own illustrious John J Rambo believes there's a chance the NCAA mucks with the football post season.

Just my opinion but I don’t see this stopping football or the 2020 season. We will see this happen at almost every college and team. Once they get through it, everything will be fine. These athletes are some of the healthiest people in America.

Exactly. Let this thing run it's course. Another shutdown and people's heads will start exploding! Enough with the Coronavirus craziness. Seems to me we have much more important things to deal with right now.

Maybe maybe not. I guess it'll depend on what pops up. MLB is going to play a truncated season, but they flatly rejected the players proposal of 114 games because they want the season done before November and a potential 2nd wave. Lots of colleges moving the academic year up to potentially do the same.

While there's going to be a substantial amount of activity between now and then, its fairly obvious that a good chunk of the powers that be are planning for more sitting around in the fall.

Even our own illustrious John J Rambo believes there's a chance the NCAA mucks with the football post season.
lol @ me next time Smokin

yea, I do think we could have no playoffs, but I'd be pretty shocked if the regular season isn't completed +/- a game or two, which isn't too uncommon given the fact teams have games cancelled annually due to weather instances.

and, not for nothing, the basis of this thinking has a lot more to do with the incompetence/knee-jerkiness of the ncaa than the danger of COVID.

Exactly. Let this thing run it's course. Another shutdown and people's heads will start exploding! Enough with the Coronavirus craziness. Seems to me we have much more important things to deal with right now.
I don't think there's going to be a choice about it running its course. Either its winding down on its own (we'll see in a couple of weeks whether there is a massive outbreak caused by the protests) or else it will just spread among the populace that isn't retired because those people just aren't going to stay locked down any more. They won't stand for it.

In either case, we're talking about the next 6 or 7 months. I believe after that one of the vaccines will have made it through the testing and become available (end of this year or the beginning of next). Too much money/effort being thrown at it around the world for it not to happen IMO. Then when an effective vaccine becomes widely available the pandemic will have ended for sure. The virus won't be gone entirely but it will become manageable like any other disease.

There's an outside chance that an effective antibody injection could beat the vaccine to the scene.

Note that it said Alabama had five players test positive. It did not indicate any of them were sick. I think you were going to see this more and more. I have read multiple articles that the virus is getting weaker. You will still get people having it, and the susceptible are still at risk. However, the people who test positive will just be quarantined for two weeks and everyone else will go on as normal. That is my speculation only though.

Note that it said Alabama had five players test positive. It did not indicate any of them were sick. I think you were going to see this more and more. I have read multiple articles that the virus is getting weaker. You will still get people having it, and the susceptible are still at risk. However, the people who test positive will just be quarantined for two weeks and everyone else will go on as normal. That is my speculation only though.
I don't disagree. But like I've said before, I feel like one university president or AD sending a team home will start a chain reaction.

But, maybe not.

Good luck "quarenting" a 20 year old football player that tests positive but feels 100% fine.

They are only hurting themselves. If Saban is going to quarantine these guys everytime there's a case, its going to just be continually disruptive if these guys keep infecting each other even if it doesn't cause them much if any bodily harm.

Edit: So on 2nd thought, yes, I encourage the stupidity of Bama's players.

if the NCAAs plan is to frequently test all athletes regardless of symptoms and then isolate the + along with their immediate contacts then the season was likely over before the ink dried on the proposal - it was a waste even having kids show up

are the schools going to institute contact tracing of these individuals back in their original destination along with their trips to campus?

if the NCAA and the schools don't have the stomach to operate under a system where only symptomatic people are tested then I'm not sure this is going to work

you have millions of health care workers operating/treating nonCOVID vulnerable patients everyday and the hospitals and health facilities aren't testing asymptomatic health care workers

Last edited:
if the NCAAs plan is to frequently test all athletes regardless of symptoms and then isolate the + along with their immediate contacts then the season was likely over before the ink dried on the proposal - it was a waste even having kids show up

are the schools going to institute contact tracing of these individuals back in their original destination along with their trips to campus?

if the NCAA and the schools don't have the stomach to operate under a system where only symptomatic people are tested then I'm not sure this is going to work

you have millions of health care workers operating/treating nonCOVID vulnerable patients everyday and the hospitals and health facilities aren't testing asymptomatic health care workers

First, there's a false equivalence in there. First line medical care is a societal necessity, watching amateur football on the boob tube is not. We'll likely have other things to watch as Mr. Rambo is so fond of pointing out.

Secondly, no one really knows yet. The general consensus is they need less testing now, and ramping up more as contact ramps up first in practice and then in competition. I think the article mentions as much as three days a week. Nebraska currently is one of the programs doing the best by its players.

Here's the article in SI that talks about some of the options being thrown around.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/02/coronavirus-covid-testing-college-football-return

Note that the B1G's lead medical advisor is a UNMC doctor, Chris Kratochvil. Also note the NCAA's doctor is from John's Hopkins. Both have been more or less in line with Fauci since day 1. Which means they generally don't share the "rub some dirt on it" attitude people expect to just take bloom at a certain point and all inhibitions go away on the sport of NCAA FB.

Which again, I'm not arguing that there won't be a season. I do think there are still substantial threats to a season, or at least enough jankness to make this season more or less an exhibition. If teams end up doing half a million to a million dollars worth of testing and sitting out all kinds of individuals on a rotating basis, then yes, this is all just a giant waste of time as we watch this circus go on just to say it went on and boy aren't we so proud we are tough.

the 13 public B1G institutions make just a hair under $1B per football season all told.

that's 2x what the entire ncaa walked away from by cancelling march madness.

they might have a different opinion on what's essential and what's not.

First, there's a false equivalence in there. First line medical care is a societal necessity, watching amateur football on the boob tube is not. We'll likely have other things to watch as Mr. Rambo is so fond of pointing out.

Secondly, no one really knows yet. The general consensus is they need less testing now, and ramping up more as contact ramps up first in practice and then in competition. I think the article mentions as much as three days a week. Nebraska currently is one of the programs doing the best by its players.

Here's the article in SI that talks about some of the options being thrown around.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/02/coronavirus-covid-testing-college-football-return

Note that the B1G's lead medical advisor is a UNMC doctor, Chris Kratochvil. Also note the NCAA's doctor is from John's Hopkins. Both have been more or less in line with Fauci since day 1. Which means they generally don't share the "rub some dirt on it" attitude people expect to just take bloom at a certain point and all inhibitions go away on the sport of NCAA FB.

Which again, I'm not arguing that there won't be a season. I do think there are still substantial threats to a season, or at least enough jankness to make this season more or less an exhibition. If teams end up doing half a million to a million dollars worth of testing and sitting out all kinds of individuals on a rotating basis, then yes, this is all just a giant waste of time as we watch this circus go on just to say it went on and boy aren't we so proud we are tough.

I am not arguing equivalency. I am saying that if you are going to rigorously test asymptomatic individuals over and over again there is a high likelihood there won’t be a season. Wait until things start happening where positive tests aren’t reported or falsified to keep asymptomatic players on the field or court.

Last edited:
It was either that article or another one I read where they basically said physicians are looking at these football players returning to campus to see what they can glean about the larger student body returning to campus.

It would be a damned shame to have these guys come to campus and act the fool and in the process doctors look at that data and advise Uni Presidents and the like that blowing that up to 30K-60K students on campus is going to look bad. That would set back NCAA FB real quick.

I am not arguing equivalency. I am saying that if you are going to rigorously test asymptomatic individuals over and over again there is a high likely there won’t be a season. Wait until things start happening where positive tests aren’t reported or falsified to keep asymptomatic players on the field or court.

Yes and as of yet liability is still a concern for folks unless the Hill gets working on its legislation for COVID 4.

Reactions: jeans15
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT