ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of Alabama football players tested positive for Covid

antibody testing in Spain - one of the countries hardest hit - tested 70,000.

5% had antibodies
In the Madrid region - the epicenter of the outbreak - 14%

You are talking 60+ percent for any type of herd immunity - which really is only discussed in modern times under the guise of a vaccine.

In loosey goosey Sweden they were at like 7 percent according to the article. Long way to go.

NFL issues apologies over racism.

I'm starting to wonder if it matters if there's football at all. Between the protestors and the true Patriots wanting to boycott everything there won't be anyone watching anyway.

Very few with antibodies in hardest hit places in England
Those sniffles you had in Feb-March almost certainly wasn’t COVID

EZvIwIjXQAAbgHa

Reactions: dinglefritz
As I posted a couple of weeks ago, the team captains should call a mandatory team meeting and invite a COVID-19 person to infect them all NOW and get it over with. They're all going to get it by the time Christmas rolls around anyway and virtually none of them will have any illness with it.

I highly doubt NU's lawyers would ever sign off on that - a plan to deliberately infect NU football players with COVID-19 - if anyone wound up dying because of it, NU would be facing one hell of a lawsuit - and one hell of a PR disaster.

Very few with antibodies in hardest hit places in England
Those sniffles you had in Feb-March almost certainly wasn’t COVID

EZvIwIjXQAAbgHa
I VASTLY over estimated the effect asymptomatic shedders would have in developing a population immunity. Of course they were incorrect apparently in advancing the idea that asymptomatic virus positive people would shed the virus. More bad info obtained from the Chinese.

I highly doubt NU's lawyers would ever sign off on that - a plan to deliberately infect NU football players with COVID-19 - if anyone wound up dying because of it, NU would be facing one hell of a lawsuit - and one hell of a PR disaster.
NU would never sanction it. Bama on the other hand I would not put it past. At NU it would have to be a player led scheme. The players would likely not even know they had it let alone die. There has not been a single death from COVID-19 viremia of somebody from 19 to 25 years old without underlying health problems. You need to go watch a bunch of 20 year olds out in public and see if they're taking any precautions. Hell watch the protests on TV. Those are mostly 20 somethings. The serious cases we've seen in younger patients have all had an underlying health problems. Everybody wants to point to a celebrity patient with severe disease. He's got undisclosed problems. .

There's this unstated assumption that if you picnic a bunch of football players together they'll more or less generate local herd immunity. Some of the hardest hit places in the world are testing 15% or less in terms of anti-bodies in a local population.

I don't personally care if the team captains want to have a COVID party without the knowledge of the staff, but it seems likely to me that it would not have the intended effect so why bother.

Word of stuff like that gets out, so you don't want to get nervous administrators/decision makers and reason to start thinking they have out of control situations. There's a fair bit of downside if teams try and do this nationally.

Last edited:
There's this unstated assumption that if you picnic a bunch of football players together they'll more or less generate local herd immunity. Some of the hardest hit places in the world are testing 15% or less in terms of anti-bodies in a local population.

I don't personally care if the team captains want to have a COVID party without the knowledge of the staff, but it seems likely to me that it would not have the intended effect so why bother.

Word of stuff like that gets out, so you don't want to get nervous administrators/decision makers and reason to start thinking they have out of control situations. There's a fair bit of downside if teams try and do this nationally.
IF you had the COVID party in the right manner, they would all get exposed and likely develop if nothing else localized immunity in their upper respiratory tract. There is some thought that previous exposure to garden variety cold/coronaviruses might block COVID-19 and give protective immunity. In that case one might not find antibodies to the specific capsular antigens that they test for even though the subject was still immune to it. The immune system is very complicated and involves more than just the antibody response. Cell mediated immunity is much harder to measure than the humoral (antibody) response.

IF you had the COVID party in the right manner, they would all get exposed and likely develop if nothing else localized immunity in their upper respiratory tract. There is some thought that previous exposure to garden variety cold/coronaviruses might block COVID-19 and give protective immunity. In that case one might not find antibodies to the specific capsular antigens that they test for even though the subject was still immune to it. The immune system is very complicated and involves more than just the antibody response. Cell mediated immunity is much harder to measure than the humoral (antibody) response.

And I fully expect our football team to be well versed in those issues as the discuss the validity of their covert mission. :)

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT