ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of Alabama football players tested positive for Covid

To my knowledge there are not plans to test asymptomatic students if/when fall classes resume.

A lot will be learned in the coming weeks on the backs of Memorial Day when people just said F it and now the protests.

Note that it said Alabama had five players test positive. It did not indicate any of them were sick. I think you were going to see this more and more. I have read multiple articles that the virus is getting weaker. You will still get people having it, and the susceptible are still at risk. However, the people who test positive will just be quarantined for two weeks and everyone else will go on as normal. That is my speculation only though.
As I posted a couple of weeks ago, the team captains should call a mandatory team meeting and invite a COVID-19 person to infect them all NOW and get it over with. They're all going to get it by the time Christmas rolls around anyway and virtually none of them will have any illness with it.

It was either that article or another one I read where they basically said physicians are looking at these football players returning to campus to see what they can glean about the larger student body returning to campus.

It would be a damned shame to have these guys come to campus and act the fool and in the process doctors look at that data and advise Uni Presidents and the like that blowing that up to 30K-60K students on campus is going to look bad. That would set back NCAA FB real quick.
It doesn't matter. They're all going to get exposed at some point. The sooner you build immunity in the student body population the sooner this thing will die out.

Reactions: nwualum
It doesn't matter. They're all going to get exposed at some point. The sooner you build immunity in the student body population the sooner this thing will die out.

From an individual standpoint it doesn't matter. I certainly hope I've already had it and didn't notice. But I don't want a bad chart killing FB either. I just got a new hard drive for my DVR :)

To my knowledge there are not plans to test asymptomatic students if/when fall classes resume.

A lot will be learned in the coming weeks on the backs of Memorial Day when people just said F it and now the protests.

Rambo will probably put me on blast because the interview is 2 weeks old (its not like they do these things daily), but Bowlsby (Big 12 commish) has said "he envisions college football players needing to be tested for COVID-19 “probably every two or three days” as a key component of bringing the sport back safely."

"Bowlsby said his conversations with the White House coronavirus task force in recent weeks have led him to believe that such an aggressive testing plan would be viable by football season due to rapid improvements and innovations in test manufacturing."

Granted, there is nothing there that says anything about symptoms or not, but I think the structure and plain language of it indicates all CFB players, not just a small slice of those suspected of having COVID. The word aggressive also key.

We know enough at this point that nothing's been decided yet. We also know that the conferences all won't be in lockstep in terms of policy. I suspect the B1G will be closer to the B12 than the SEC when the rubber hits the road based on what NU is doing now and who is advising it.

I think even if the B12 starts out as the only major conference doing total testing every two days, eventually the other power conferences will face some pressure to do so depending on what they find.

On the subject of cheating or falsifying tests. I'm not sure I want to be the guy that falsifies reports to get Trevor Lawrence on the field and heaven help us a ref gets hospitalized or even dies.

These coaches command a lot of respect and fear probably plays a factor too, but everyone in that administration isn't necessarily going to keep quiet, I'm not sure that its worth the risk. Especially in a season where our strongest optimists believe there may not be a post season, even if its due to ineptitude.

Edit: Lest I seem negative, Bowlsby said this a week ago.

Bob Bowlsby is not an effervescent personality. The Big 12 commissioner is neither bubbly nor vivacious. He’s one of the sharpest minds in the American sports cutlery, but Bowlsby mostly is a realist. He doesn’t say things to make people feel better.

So your spirits should soar in knowing that Bowlsby on Friday was downright buoyant on college football returning on time.

“I’m optimistic we’ll start the season somewhere around Labor Day,” Bowlsby told Big 12 writers on a Zoom call Friday, “I’m bullish about the opportunity, moreso than I was 30 days ago, and I hope I’m even more bullish 30 days from now.”

Keep in mind the discussion here is we're not exactly sure what's going to happen as these schools who get positive test, which we are just now seeing, and it'll be interesting to follow.

Last edited:
As I posted a couple of weeks ago, the team captains should call a mandatory team meeting and invite a COVID-19 person to infect them all NOW and get it over with. They're all going to get it by the time Christmas rolls around anyway and virtually none of them will have any illness with it.
Wife and I said this. Time for a chicken pox party. Good grief, this isn't Ebola. Many of them probably would have no symptoms or such mild ones they didn't think anything of it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Wife and I said this. Time for a chicken pox party. Good grief, this isn't Ebola. Many of them probably would have no symptoms or such mild ones they didn't think anything of it.

does Scott Frost plan to visit his parents, meet with Moos, maybe draw up some Xs and Os face to face with TO?

Then there is always MIS-C to consider for those with very young kids.

Reactions: Melmc
Alabama as usual is WAY ahead of almost everybody else. Saban is no fool. I would suspect that they didn't quarantine the 5 guys who tested positive. It will be a huge advantage if you have a team full of guys carrying antibodies and you don't have to worry about losing starters during the season.

More than likely you might have 5 or 6 guys out of 100 that showed any symptoms at all.

Reactions: ZaneHickey
does Scott Frost plan to visit his parents, meet with Moos, maybe draw up some Xs and Os face to face with TO?

Then there is always MIS-C to consider for those with very young kids.
Pretty sure Coach Frost could get tested, if he is concerned.

Players will test positive, given the hundreds of players it has to be expected. Don't think it will have an effect on current plans.

Wait until things start happening where positive tests aren’t reported or falsified to keep asymptomatic players on the field or court.
There’s no doubt in my mind that some coaches and staff will take it lightly, cheat and false report, especially given the fact that COVID has been made into a political issue with inaccurate information circulating all over the place.

Reactions: nwualum
Alabama as usual is WAY ahead of almost everybody else. Saban is no fool. I would suspect that they didn't quarantine the 5 guys who tested positive. It will be a huge advantage if you have a team full of guys carrying antibodies and you don't have to worry about losing starters during the season.

Start donating that Plasma!

Pretty sure Coach Frost could get tested, if he is concerned.

Is he going to get tested every single day?
In general 5-14 day lag between infection and symptoms - some/many don’t develop symptoms but may transmit

Well not if you don't consider over 100K deaths to be much.
When you analyze who has died from this, for a college and it's students this is virtually nothing. Almost ALL of the deaths are in the elderly and people with horrible pre-existing health. I'm not buying some of the stories about "healthy" young people dying. A Dr. I know well says, "they're not disclosing the underlying health problems of those people". This Dr. gets daily briefings from the CDC, cares for COVID-19 patients, teaches medical students, and presents at international meetings. Hell even many of the elderly with underlying health problems are surviving this thing.

Virtually the only person on our staff who would have some risk of very serious illness would be our QB coach. This virus poses virtually zero risk to our student athletes and healthy traditional students in general. In many ways, SoFLHusker was right. It's the flu....it's just that half of our population isn't vaccinated for this like they are for the flu.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Is he going to get tested every single day?
In general 5-14 day lag between infection and symptoms - some/many don’t develop symptoms but may transmit
Or talk to people via phone... whatever.

Ive been tested twice both negative. After seeing all the options for school in the fall I feel the best option is business as usual

When you analyze who has died from this, for a college and it's students this is virtually nothing. Almost ALL of the deaths are in the elderly and people with horrible pre-existing health. I'm not buying some of the stories about "healthy" young people dying. A Dr. I know well says, "they're not disclosing the underlying health problems of those people". This Dr. gets daily briefings from the CDC, cares for COVID-19 patients, teaches medical students, and presents at international meetings. Hell even many of the elderly with underlying health problems are surviving this thing.

Virtually the only person on our staff who would have some risk of very serious illness would be our QB coach. This virus poses virtually zero risk to our student athletes and healthy traditional students in general. In many ways, SoFLHusker was right. It's the flu....it's just that half of our population isn't vaccinated for this like they are for the flu.

If this version is true ... or if the NCAA, the schools and the medical staff believe this to be true there is no reason they would recommend asymptomatic testing.

testing all comers is going to lead to many pos tests which will lead to more testing of contacts which will lead to more pos tests , etc, etc.

Asymptomatic health care workers aren’t tested because the system would collapse if all + are taken off line for 10-21 days - The same thing might happen in CFB

Last edited:
If this version is true ... or if the NCAA, the schools and the medical staff believe this to be true there is no reason they would recommend asymptomatic testing.

testing all comers is going to lead to many pos tests which will lead to more testing of contacts which will lead to more pos tests , etc, etc.

Asymptomatic health care workers aren’t tested because the system would collapse if they all + are taken off line for 10-21 days - The same thing might happen in CFB

The NFL intends to do asymptomatic testing. Granted they have a players union and are accepting the fact the can handle a certain amount of positive tests. As you state what is the pain point for the schools.

B1G from that article seems to intend to leave the issue of tests to the school. Some won't some will. Right now NU is at the top of the will list with the quality of test provided.

I guess it will depend on how closely the schools and conferences attempt to follow the NFL model.

“That’s a very active discussion with the Players Association right now,” Sills said. “I think that it’s safe to say that we will have a very active surveillance program with very frequent testing. I don’t have a specific time interval that I can give you at this point. . . . We’re looking to detect new infections in asymptomatic individuals at as earliest a stage as possible so that we can make sure that we isolate them from a team environment.”

Agreed. Trying to roll this into jlb's question of what kind of testing are the NCAA schools going to do.

To this point no one know for sure and only Bowlesby has really come out with any kind of real projection.

However a good many sources indicate schools are looking to spend upwards of a half a million dollars this year in testing and you don't get that kind of cost estimate figuring out that only a handful of people on a 100 man roster will show symptoms and be tested. Even at $200 a test testing a couple dozen athletes when they get sick is chump change.

It would seem to me that most schools that plan to do testing are going to do mass testing of pretty much everything in the football program if they are publically throwing out those kind of numbers. I read an article where I think Baylor bought two machines to do testing on site.

So yes they will need some back bone

Agreed. Trying to roll this into jlb's question of what kind of testing are the NCAA schools going to do.

To this point no one know for sure and only Bowlesby has really come out with any kind of real projection.

However a good many sources indicate schools are looking to spend upwards of a half a million dollars this year in testing and you don't get that kind of cost estimate figuring out that only a handful of people on a 100 man roster will show symptoms and be tested. Even at $200 a test testing a couple dozen athletes when they get sick is chump change.

It would seem to me that most schools that plan to do testing are going to do mass testing of pretty much everything in the football program if they are publically throwing out those kind of numbers. I read an article where I think Baylor bought two machines to do testing on site.

So yes they will need some back bone

I think these leagues are banking on very few people testing + which I’m not sure is going to be the case over the course of a full season. Very few + will be sick which begs the question what are you going to do with a + test. Have a hard time believing Trevor Lawrence is going to sit out a big game if he feels 100%.

The nasopharyngeal test is very intrusive - teams can easily manipulate the test by half assing the sample acquisition leading to almost a certain negative in someone with minimal or no symptoms but who has the virus.

I think they are too. Like anything else you'll have folks trying to buck the system to get an advantage but I'm not even sure what that means this year.

We could have a post season but we may not. At which point what's really the point of cheating. Half the SEC is going to claim another natty if there's no settlement on the field anyway.

This is just one of those situations where any one school has limited power to control it's destiny. Im sure someone has discuss any flexibility from the league office in testing as a license to not attempt testing so you have a greatly reduced risk of harming your schedule because of test results.

That's only going to go so far. As with anything else the bell curve of effort says that a good number of teams will make good faith efforts to do this right...NU among them and the B1G and the other big honchos will make decisions as they see them whether bad apples try and hide things or not.

Veruduzco is expendable.

Reactions: jflores

Asymptomatic health care workers aren’t tested because the system would collapse if they all + are taken off line for 10-21 days - The same thing might happen in CFB
this version is most definitely true. They're often finding when they go in to workplaces and do mass testing that they'll have huge numbers of positive tests and nobody is sick. IMO, we may have really screwed the pooch by shutting things down for so long. IF we were smart we would be trying to ramp up antibody testing for exposure to the virus to see where we're at within a certain population such as mmmmmaybeeeee a football team?

hey what ever happened to sweden?

safe to assume since there's no news everyone there died of covid-19 and everyone was right about the outcome or their experiment?

Reactions: jflores

safe to assume since there's no news everyone there died of covid-19 and everyone was right about the outcome or their experiment?

Sweden's lax COVID-19 response caused too many deaths, country's top epidemiologist says

I think it's safe to say that Sweden has had more deaths and more hospitalizations this spring than it would have under a more strict shutdown. But long-term? I think the jury will be out on that for a while.

Sweden's lax COVID-19 response caused too many deaths, country's top epidemiologist says
from that story (since you posted the headline, with no link and very likely without reading it):

As of June 4, Sweden has reported more than 4,500 deaths associated with the virus, according to the Johns Hopkins virus dashboard, and about half of those deaths occurred among elderly people living in nursing homes, Reuters reported.

"We have to admit that when it comes to elderly care and the spread of infection, that has not worked," Prime Minister Stefan Löfven told Swedish newspaper The Aftonbladet Daily, according to Reuters. "Too many old people have died here."

the more you act like a sensationalist, the less credible you become

I'm sorry if this is callous, but posting total number of deaths is extremely misleading.

when more than 50% of deaths are occurring in nursing homes, that is a gigantic caveat and is beyond meaningful, statistically speaking.

from that story (since you posted the headline, with no link and very likely without reading it):

As of June 4, Sweden has reported more than 4,500 deaths associated with the virus, according to the Johns Hopkins virus dashboard, and about half of those deaths occurred among elderly people living in nursing homes, Reuters reported.

"We have to admit that when it comes to elderly care and the spread of infection, that has not worked," Prime Minister Stefan Löfven told Swedish newspaper The Aftonbladet Daily, according to Reuters. "Too many old people have died here."

the more you act like a sensationalist, the less credible you become

No I read it. He said they would do something in between what they did do and what the locked down world did which I think many folks consider reasonable.

Everywhere has at least half the deaths going to old people it's not news.

You asked and the general answer they gave was they would do more if given a second chance. In any regards it has no bearing on whether we play football.

I'm sorry if this is callous, but posting total number of deaths is extremely misleading.

when more than 50% of deaths are occurring in nursing homes, that is a gigantic caveat and is beyond meaningful, statistically speaking.

It's not misleading when the other half of that sentence in the article contains the caveats you wanted pointed out.

this version is most definitely true. They're often finding when they go in to workplaces and do mass testing that they'll have huge numbers of positive tests and nobody is sick. IMO, we may have really screwed the pooch by shutting things down for so long. IF we were smart we would be trying to ramp up antibody testing for exposure to the virus to see where we're at within a certain population such as mmmmmaybeeeee a football team?

That's true. Trump told us six weeks ago millions of tests were coming...has the boat from China arrived yet?

Ive been tested twice both negative. After seeing all the options for school in the fall I feel the best option is business as usual

Yah the school options are horrible. My wife stays home so we're better off than most for any sort of unusual scheduling things but I still feel bad for her she has to cover down on three kids all by herself.

My job is more mission oriented than you have to work these days and times so I've been spending roughly half my time at home doing 2nd grade worksheets which has helped her out alot.

She's slowly been getting perturbed as I get drug back into more mission and I suspect even if we don't have a formal shutdown of state economies the K-12 schooling situation this fall is still going to have a major impact on dual income families. Lots of folks not wanting to mess with it and will homeschool but that means pulling a bunch more workers out of the economy when they'd rather not.

Other folks wanting their kids to go to school but irregular schedules will make holding a full time job near impossible for that second earner.

antibody testing in Spain - one of the countries hardest hit - tested 70,000.

5% had antibodies
In the Madrid region - the epicenter of the outbreak - 14%

You are talking 60+ percent for any type of herd immunity - which really is only discussed in modern times under the guise of a vaccine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT