ADVERTISEMENT

A confession

Ignoring trolls really is the best course of action, as they just aren’t worth the time. For example there is some Iowa clown, Matt something or another, that spent months following me around in these threads just talking crap on a personal level, not even remotely about the topics, just being a pathetic human being so I decided to put him on ignore. I think he still does it, but now I don’t have to see it.

But ignoring a troll doesn’t mean they aren’t a troll. And the poster I replied to seemed legitimately confused as to what trolling is.

agree. I’m just saying that hitting the ignore button is a great tactic if you want to use it. I don’t use the button and probably engage the trolls too often, but that’s just me

the proper wording is fit to a t - not Tee Winking

A t-shirt can be called a “tee,” so it makes a sort of sense that a properly fitting garment could be said to “fit to a tee,” but the original expression is actually “fit to a t.” The “t” may refer to a drafting t-square, though that is uncertain.

Common Errors in English Language Usage

Are you He..
How’s that grammar police.

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
I hear that comment all of the time about going "back" to smashmouth" football. The truth of the matter is it really doesn't matter what he runs, you have to coach it well and to the smallest detail. Does anyone think that with the technique we have seen by our OL that we can run smashmouth football? Few schools have perfected it and it is somewhat the system but more on the coaches who know and understand it to the smallest detail. Tom did and his staff did. Why does everyone think it can easily be replicated? It cannot or everyone would be doing it.
Bielema at Illinois will remind us what "smash-mouth" football is. GBR.....maybe it shd be: Go Little Red

It will be hard to overcome a bad start like that. If we lose to Illinois in the first game, I think we'll have a very bad year and no hope to succeed with Frost. Just my opinion.

We do need to win the first two games because it will get a lot harder after that. Could you imagine starting 0-2 heading into Norman? I pray that doesn’t happen, things will get ugly in North Stadium.

• Sad
Reactions: TFrazier
I rarely come to this board for Husker talk. I have lost a lot of interest in what's going on with the program but you can guarantee when fall gets here it will come back so I can be let down again. I'm not sure I could name one recruit from the class we just signed. It's only going to get worse. Viewership for sports in general is down and putting a poor product out on the field for 20 years isn't going to entice a bunch of kids. How do you convince your kids watching a team that struggles to win 5 games in football or basketball is worth watching?
I call BS... I know you could name two Teddy Prochazka and Thomas Fidone. Sadly I get your point, because beyond that I honestly have no clue either. I am hoping it is just due to Covid, but I honestly don't think that is the reason 🙄

I have not posted a whole lot on here lately and that is for a reason. Quite frankly, I just am no longer all that excited about Husker football. And to put that in perspective, as those who know me a bit on here understand, I have been as rabid a Husker fan as they come since 1965 when I attended my first Husker game with my dad when I was 7. I sold concessions in the stands and attended every game until I went off to college back East in 1978. And even then I remember paying for long distance calls on Saturdays so my dad could put the phone up near the radio so I could listen to Bremser call the games. I have lived on the East coast since 1978 and have still found a way to attend two Husker home games a year and I have been to many bowl games and away games. I am not a fair weather fan. I have bled Husker Red even during the doldrums of Callahan and Riley.

But something has changed within me. And I am just going to admit to something. I do not like Scott Frost. I was as excited as everyone else when he was hired, but something about him rubs me the wrong way. I cannot put my finger on it but I just don't like the guy. And I also think he is not that great of a coach.

Anyway, it is getting harder and harder and harder for me to generate any enthusiasm anymore for Husker football. My sister, who grew up in Lincoln too and now lives in Greenwood, has been just as big of a Husker fan as I have and yet she too now feels the same. I asked her on the phone the other day if she was getting that same vibe from other Nebraskans who are die-hard fans. And she said "Oh yeah. Nobody really gives a shit anymore." I have another friend who just gave up his season tickets which he has had since 1981. He told me he has "better things to do with my life on Saturday afternoons in the Fall than waste my time and money on Husker football."

And so I am curious... do others on here feel the same? Or am I just a depressive outlier who needs to quit whining? What is the vibe back in Nebraska? How much is left in the tank of the Husker fan base?
Ive felt the way you do for years now. I have no expectations. I do have faith that things will get better eventually. I think as long as enough people can keep the faith that this program will get strong again it will never truly be dead. Im 36 ive followed it since I was 4 im not about to give up now. Im just not going to let the losses and ugly performances piss me off like they used to. GBR!

The Illinois and Minnesota losses last year did it for me. Was just done with them after those two horrific losses, but then I finish watching them against Rutgers. Hoping and thinking maybe this is the game it turns... I’m still waiting and like many my patience is wearing thin.

I have not posted a whole lot on here lately and that is for a reason. Quite frankly, I just am no longer all that excited about Husker football. And to put that in perspective, as those who know me a bit on here understand, I have been as rabid a Husker fan as they come since 1965 when I attended my first Husker game with my dad when I was 7. I sold concessions in the stands and attended every game until I went off to college back East in 1978. And even then I remember paying for long distance calls on Saturdays so my dad could put the phone up near the radio so I could listen to Bremser call the games. I have lived on the East coast since 1978 and have still found a way to attend two Husker home games a year and I have been to many bowl games and away games. I am not a fair weather fan. I have bled Husker Red even during the doldrums of Callahan and Riley.

But something has changed within me. And I am just going to admit to something. I do not like Scott Frost. I was as excited as everyone else when he was hired, but something about him rubs me the wrong way. I cannot put my finger on it but I just don't like the guy. And I also think he is not that great of a coach.

Anyway, it is getting harder and harder and harder for me to generate any enthusiasm anymore for Husker football. My sister, who grew up in Lincoln too and now lives in Greenwood, has been just as big of a Husker fan as I have and yet she too now feels the same. I asked her on the phone the other day if she was getting that same vibe from other Nebraskans who are die-hard fans. And she said "Oh yeah. Nobody really gives a shit anymore." I have another friend who just gave up his season tickets which he has had since 1981. He told me he has "better things to do with my life on Saturday afternoons in the Fall than waste my time and money on Husker football."

And so I am curious... do others on here feel the same? Or am I just a depressive outlier who needs to quit whining? What is the vibe back in Nebraska? How much is left in the tank of the Husker fan base?
I agree. Now while I don’t dislike Frost. I am having a hard time getting excited about Husker football. Where in the past I would drive 50 miles to gather with fans at a watch site. I now rarely even watch a complete game in my own home.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I agree. Now while I don’t dislike Frost. I am having a hard time getting excited about Husker football. Where in the past I would drive 50 miles to gather with fans at a watch site. I now rarely even watch a complete game in my own home.

🙄🥴

Not a nebraska fan. That said, all you guys claiming that your interest in your football team has waned and vaporized and you no longer care are wrong. You know how i know? Every damn post is in this thread is a novella. and this thread is already 4 pages long. If you no longer had interest, these posts woulda been 1-2 liners. So imo you are terribly miserable but care more than you probably should. You are all welcome to this free bit of psychoanalysis :)

Not a nebraska fan. That said, all you guys claiming that your interest in your football team has waned and vaporized and you no longer care are wrong. You know how i know? Every damn post is in this thread is a novella. and this thread is already 4 pages long. If you no longer had interest, these posts woulda been 1-2 liners. So imo you are terribly miserable but care more than you probably should. You are all welcome to this free bit of psychoanalysis :)
Even at our lowest, we can all take much solace in the fact we are not, and never will be, iowa fans

In the immortal words of my dad,.....If I wanted to hear from an asshole, I would have farted.

How is that for 1-2 lines? buh bye

edit - Also comical, you have the word hawk following Lucille Ball's husbands name as a handle and feel the need to announce that you are "not a Nebraska fan". The fvck you say.....

Even at our lowest, we can all take much solace in the fact we are not, and never will be, iowa fans

In the immortal words of my dad,.....If I wanted to hear from an asshole, I would have farted.

How is that for 1-2 lines? buh bye
You guys have me all wrong. i think when a fanbase cares so much even during difficult transitions it speaks well of that fan base. I was simply pointing that out — that the posters that state they don’t care actually do.

You guys have me all wrong. i think a fanbase that cares so much even during difficult transitions speaks well of that fan base. I was simply pointing that out — that the posters that state they don’t care actually do.

No we don't have you wrong, you are just like your fellow Iowa brethren.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

Are you ready to walk away? be honest with yourself, you’ve vented what’s you next step? I agree with most of your post i believe bill moos is really concerned about the fans low morale. we don’t have season tickets and the last several times we were offered a couple I turned them down, at Our age upper 50’s I’d rather stay home and watch it on HD tv always a better view than live and no lines for the bathroom like I mentioned I agree with 99% of you post

I call BS... I know you could name two Teddy Prochazka and Thomas Fidone. Sadly I get your point, because beyond that I honestly have no clue either. I am hoping it is just due to Covid, but I honestly don't think that is the reason 🙄
At the time I posted that I couldn't. Fidone is one I definitely know but Teddy would have never came to mind.

I hear that comment all of the time about going "back" to smashmouth" football. The truth of the matter is it really doesn't matter what he runs, you have to coach it well and to the smallest detail. Does anyone think that with the technique we have seen by our OL that we can run smashmouth football? Few schools have perfected it and it is somewhat the system but more on the coaches who know and understand it to the smallest detail. Tom did and his staff did. Why does everyone think it can easily be replicated? It cannot or everyone would be doing it.
There is no such thing as smash mouth football and those that say it are 80 or window lickers

I completely understand OP. I watch every game and some games I have turned off early because of the pathetic performance we have been seeing. Just the silly mistakes of undisciplined games at this level should be unacceptable. But we see it over and over again.

Anyways I have felt a bit of Apathy setting in. 20 years ago a Husker loss would ruin the rest of the weekend. Now it just a shoulder shrug and the weekend goes on as normal.

Are you ready to walk away? be honest with yourself, you’ve vented what’s you next step? I agree with most of your post i believe bill moos is really concerned about the fans low morale. we don’t have season tickets and the last several times we were offered a couple I turned them down, at Our age upper 50’s I’d rather stay home and watch it on HD tv always a better view than live and no lines for the bathroom like I mentioned I agree with 99% of you post
Am I ready to walk completely away? No. If Frost turns this around and watching NU football is fun again I will have my interest raised back to fever pitch. But right now it isn’t fun and it is just a game. Life is too short to waste time on something that isn’t enjoyable anymore. And to me, it isn’t.

Reactions: Baxter48
I ran around on Memorial Stadium turf as a kid in the 60's.
My father was a UNL Engineering grad and worked across the street at Capitol Steel. He took us over to play there on occaision.

Saw all the glory firsthand until I moved.

I agree Pennsy, it is just not fun any more. We've seen great Football, know what it looks like, this is not it. I do agree with another poster as it is so bad as to be comical now. That fake punt with Indiana was just about the funniest thing I ever saw!

Really hope Frost turns it around, bit afraid he will not.

Here's to this year and hope 🍻.

Am I ready to walk completely away? No. If Frost turns this around and watching NU football is fun again I will have my interest raised back to fever pitch. But right now it isn’t fun and it is just a game. Life is too short to waste time on something that isn’t enjoyable anymore. And to me, it isn’t.
its One thing to lose, but it’s another thing to lose so dam disorganized. I remember before bill Snyder took over kst we look exactly like that, when Snyder took over they didn’t win right away but by gawd did they play hard every down and fundamentally sounds in all phases. That the most disappointing thing with frost so far it’s been a cluster f

Look I am not interested in having a pissing contest with anyone. So let’s start again. I don’t know why you think my post was disingenuous. It was offered as an honest and straightforward opinion with no hidden agenda. And I think the issue I am raising ... fan apathy... is a real one, and important. It is important because our huge fan support is one of our last remaining mainstays that is a big recruiting tool. That is why the Spring game was always so important for recruiting. When recruits see 75,000 people show up for a glorified scrimmage it impresses. So the issue of how long that fan support can hold on in the face of one losing season after another is damn important in my view. You may disagree. That’s cool. You might find it cliche and overworked and tiresome. I do not. But judging by the responses on here it seems others found it to be an important topic too.

My original post seems to have gotten your dander up for some reason. It provoked a bit of anger. At least that is how it seemed to me. And I responded in kind. For that I apologize. But I see no reason why we can’t have, on a football chat board, a civil conversation about growing fan apathy. Seems like a legit topic to me. Maybe I am wrong, but it is an issue that genuinely concerns me since I feel it in myself so I posted about it.

And the only reason I posted about my history as a rabid Husker fan ... my “bona fides”... was to highlight the fact that if even a 55 year fan of Husker football can fall into apathy maybe a similar thing is happening as well with many other fans. I wasn’t trying to build myself up or to thump my chest in pride. Quite to the contrary. I was making as I called it a “confession” or an “admission” about my apathy and it isn’t something I am proud of at all. It actually fills me with sadness that something that brought me such joy for so long, something that is a deep part of my childhood memories and my bonding with my father, now means so much less to me.

Peace

My fault. I reacted poorly, when I shouldn't have reacted at all. I bet we agree more on Husker football than disagree. You are right about the necessity of Husker football and it's doldrums.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT