ADVERTISEMENT

A confession

I think a lot of people feel this way and have just stopped posting. The board cheerleaders try to convince people that everything's fine. But there's a growing contigent of the fanbase who are either sick of Frost or are checking out.
Again, the board cheerleaders are NOT saying everything is fine... but we are not yet ready to throw in the towel either.

I don’t think everything is fine. But you will continue to believe otherwise...

Again, the board cheerleaders are NOT saying everything is fine... but we are not yet ready to throw in the towel either.

I don’t think everything is fine. But you will continue to believe otherwise...
What the hell is a board cheerleader...

Supporting your team on message board I have never felt like putting on a dress and shake Pom Pomes for Christ sakes...

Most have stated things aren’t fine it’s the trolls that keep telling us we’ll never be relevant again so are we suppose to listen to their drivel..
Timsun this isn’t directed toward you...

I'm just tired of these kind of threads. You'll get your likes and folks will agree, but that seems disingenuous. Some people are apathetic. I don't believe it's necessary or relevant. It's pathetic.

Last edited:
My dad passed in 2013 he followed Nebraska football from the 1940’s to 2011 he saw the two bad decades of the 40’s and 50’s and the clownahan debacle, at least they Came back the first part under bo, with his Alzheimer’s he really didn’t care anymore in 2012

After investing so much in the program for so many decades, I’m glad he got to see Nebraska at least come back a little in 2009-2012. Played in some big games, won the division a few times, etc.

I'll always be a NU football fan
since I can remember it was listening to lyle bremser on saturdays either doing yard work or pheasant hunting.
I think the downturn of NU football was leaving the run OR not using the run game correctly.
I think NU football will get better the more we return to the run, but we will have a few more seasons trying to recruit the next joe montana against everyone else in the nation.

as far as frost, I think he has landed in a lot of good situations:
1. when he came back from stanford, the team was pretty stocked.
2. when he went to oregon, they were pretty stocked
3. when he went to florida, they were pretty stocked
4. when he came to NU to coach....not so much

I think frost would be wise to go back to the run, and only pass, when the pass is there, and we have folks who can pass and receive.

I understand alot of the powers that be think NU football will be a tom brady show, but sadly this foolish thinking will eventually be replaced by the fact that Nebraska football is based on the run and can only be based on the run.
what we have here is a lack of communication, some people have to learn the hard way.
that's the way the pass happy folk want it, that's how they will get it,
remember, only 1 out of 3 things can happen when you pass, and 2 of them are bad.
run the ball, stop the run, pass when it's there, clock control, 4th quarter
these are but lessons yet to be learned for the powers that be..
post tenebras lux

Nebraska football has been such a big part of my life for so long, I don't anticipate a time that I would ever lose interest or simply not care. Our family has has season tickets for over 60 years. Nebraska games were not just games, but events with friends and family. While I haven't lost interest, I have grown very frustrated. Losing is tough and it is exceptionally tough for Nebraska fans, because so many people have been waiting for so long for Nebraska football to falter and are lining up to take their shots and pour salt in the wound.

I have always been patient with our coaches and have tried hard to understand what they are trying to do, although there was a point with Callahan, Bo and Riley where it became obvious to me it wasn't going to work out with each and that we had to move on. I have always thought the fan support at Nebraska was one of our best assets and I think the best thing we can do as fans is continue that. I know some on here disagree and they think they are doing their part by drawing attention to the things they don't like, etc.

As a Nebraska fan I have been fortunate enough to watch: 3 national Championship teams, 2 Heisman Trophy winners, the greatest defensive player of All-Time and the greatest CFB Team of All-Time. So I will be patient enough to stick with them while we are down, but my dad is getting up there and has some health issues and I really hope we can get back on top while he can still enjoy it.
Outstanding post.

Reactions: headcard
I have not posted a whole lot on here lately and that is for a reason. Quite frankly, I just am no longer all that excited about Husker football. And to put that in perspective, as those who know me a bit on here understand, I have been as rabid a Husker fan as they come since 1965 when I attended my first Husker game with my dad when I was 7. I sold concessions in the stands and attended every game until I went off to college back East in 1978. And even then I remember paying for long distance calls on Saturdays so my dad could put the phone up near the radio so I could listen to Bremser call the games. I have lived on the East coast since 1978 and have still found a way to attend two Husker home games a year and I have been to many bowl games and away games. I am not a fair weather fan. I have bled Husker Red even during the doldrums of Callahan and Riley.

But something has changed within me. And I am just going to admit to something. I do not like Scott Frost. I was as excited as everyone else when he was hired, but something about him rubs me the wrong way. I cannot put my finger on it but I just don't like the guy. And I also think he is not that great of a coach.

Anyway, it is getting harder and harder and harder for me to generate any enthusiasm anymore for Husker football. My sister, who grew up in Lincoln too and now lives in Greenwood, has been just as big of a Husker fan as I have and yet she too now feels the same. I asked her on the phone the other day if she was getting that same vibe from other Nebraskans who are die-hard fans. And she said "Oh yeah. Nobody really gives a shit anymore." I have another friend who just gave up his season tickets which he has had since 1981. He told me he has "better things to do with my life on Saturday afternoons in the Fall than waste my time and money on Husker football."

And so I am curious... do others on here feel the same? Or am I just a depressive outlier who needs to quit whining? What is the vibe back in Nebraska? How much is left in the tank of the Husker fan base?

Totally get what you are getting at @Pennsyhusker. The apathy has been increasing since 2001, slowed for a while under Pelini, but by 2012 we were in a bit of an apathy downfall.

Most fans are at the point of hoping Nebraska can get back to where it was. There is no longer an expectation Nebraska will get there. The biggest reason Frost is allowed to be held to a lower standard is fear. Fear that if Frost can't do it, no one can. So rather than giving an honest assessment of the Frost's performance, some make excuses, or will justify subpar results and call it progress.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is just hang in there, bitch when you want, praise when you want, hope for the best and deal with what we get.

Totally get what you are getting at @Pennsyhusker. The apathy has been increasing since 2001, slowed for a while under Pelini, but by 2012 we were in a bit of an apathy downfall.

Most fans are at the point of hoping Nebraska can get back to where it was. There is no longer an expectation Nebraska will get there. The biggest reason Frost is allowed to be held to a lower standard is fear. Fear that if Frost can't do it, no one can. So rather than giving an honest assessment of the Frost's performance, some make excuses, or will justify subpar results and call it progress.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is just hang in there, bitch when you want, praise when you want, hope for the best and deal with what we get.

I don't believe in the Frost thing at all, and those that do aren't perceptive. Frost is not the savior of Husker football, until he is or isn't.

I don't believe in the Frost thing at all, and those that do aren't perceptive. Frost is not the savior of Husker football, until he is or isn't.

Cool, but ask yourself this. If Frost fails at Nebraska, and we are looking at 5-7, or more, straight losing seasons, what coach is going to willingly come to Nebraska? Like it or not, it is do or Kansas time homie!!

What the hell is a board cheerleader...

Supporting your team on message board I have never felt like putting on a dress and shake Pom Pomes for Christ sakes...

Most have stated things aren’t fine it’s the trolls that keep telling us we’ll never be relevant again so are we suppose to listen to their drivel..
Timsun this isn’t directed toward you...
You can critique certain parts of the program and support the team at the same time too. You can hate certain coaches or decisions and still support the team overall.

The board cheerleaders are people calling everyone trolls who don't agree with their viewpoint or complain about the slightest bit of criticism of the coaching staff. There are some legitimate trolls here sure. I've never understood it and would never waste my time on an internet message board trolling. It's the board cheerleaders who call everybody trolls who actually aren't and are just stating legitimate concerns about the program.

You can critique certain parts of the program and support the team at the same time too. You can hate certain coaches or decisions and still support the team overall.

The board cheerleaders are people calling everyone trolls who don't agree with their viewpoint or complain about the slightest bit of criticism of the coaching staff. There are some legitimate trolls here sure. I've never understood it and would never waste my time on an internet message board trolling. It's the board cheerleaders who call everybody trolls who actually aren't and are just stating legitimate concerns about the program.
Democrats?? Ha ha ha ha

Cool, but ask yourself this. If Frost fails at Nebraska, and we are looking at 5-7, or more, straight losing seasons, what coach is going to willingly come to Nebraska? Like it or not, it is do or Kansas time homie!!

Lol, this is not realistic. You provided a trope, but I'll leave that. I don't want a power 5 coach. But, but... Their teams are fundamentally sound from what I assume anyone intelligent would hire. Your turn and recruiting.

My account here got jacked up a couple years ago so it looks like I haven’t been here since 2002 or 2003, but I have. And it amazes me to think we were debating whether to fire Frank 18 frickin years ago! No wonder many of us old timers are tired of this crap. If you had a bad marriage for the last 18 years, you probably would have moved on by now. The trouble is we don’t have a lot of options unless we want to quit following college football. So all of us are stuck in this Husker marriage, happy or not!Laughing

Lol, this is not realistic. You provided a trope, but I'll leave that. I don't want a power 5 coach. But, but... Their teams are fundamentally sound from what I assume anyone intelligent would hire. Your turn and recruiting.

huh? Frost is the last chance for Nebraska. That is the reason he signed a 5 year deal and got a 2 year extension. The desperation is real, But continue on with your drivel

My account here got jacked up a couple years ago so it looks like I haven’t been here since 2002 or 2003, but I have. And it amazes me to think we were debating whether to fire Frank 18 frickin years ago! No wonder many of us old timers are tired of this crap. If you had a bad marriage for the last 18 years, you probably would have moved on by now. The trouble is we don’t have a lot of options unless we want to quit following college football. So all of us are stuck in this Husker marriage, happy or not!Laughing

Let's remove .75 of your post because it's inconsequential. You talked about your feelings. And an emoji. Dumb.

huh? Frost is the last chance for Nebraska. That is the reason he signed a 5 year deal and got a 2 year extension. The desperation is real, But continue on with your drivel

Lol. He may get a year beyond what I believe is appropriate, but you contest my "drivel" too much.

I'll always be a NU football fan
since I can remember it was listening to lyle bremser on saturdays either doing yard work or pheasant hunting.
I think the downturn of NU football was leaving the run OR not using the run game correctly.
I think NU football will get better the more we return to the run, but we will have a few more seasons trying to recruit the next joe montana against everyone else in the nation.

as far as frost, I think he has landed in a lot of good situations:
1. when he came back from stanford, the team was pretty stocked.
2. when he went to oregon, they were pretty stocked
3. when he went to florida, they were pretty stocked
4. when he came to NU to coach....not so much

I think frost would be wise to go back to the run, and only pass, when the pass is there, and we have folks who can pass and receive.

I understand alot of the powers that be think NU football will be a tom brady show, but sadly this foolish thinking will eventually be replaced by the fact that Nebraska football is based on the run and can only be based on the run.
what we have here is a lack of communication, some people have to learn the hard way.
that's the way the pass happy folk want it, that's how they will get it,
remember, only 1 out of 3 things can happen when you pass, and 2 of them are bad.
run the ball, stop the run, pass when it's there, clock control, 4th quarter
these are but lessons yet to be learned for the powers that be..
post tenebras lux
This board has seen a lot of “frost needs to recruit a justin fields” and “we need to go get a good qb from the portal” posts like its just oh so easy and, duh, why didnt we think of this sooner??
Its not that easy....but its obvious the fans still think its possible.

I dont think we need to be three yards and a cloud of dust, but we do need to be a running team, through a running back.

I have not posted a whole lot on here lately and that is for a reason. Quite frankly, I just am no longer all that excited about Husker football. And to put that in perspective, as those who know me a bit on here understand, I have been as rabid a Husker fan as they come since 1965 when I attended my first Husker game with my dad when I was 7. I sold concessions in the stands and attended every game until I went off to college back East in 1978. And even then I remember paying for long distance calls on Saturdays so my dad could put the phone up near the radio so I could listen to Bremser call the games. I have lived on the East coast since 1978 and have still found a way to attend two Husker home games a year and I have been to many bowl games and away games. I am not a fair weather fan. I have bled Husker Red even during the doldrums of Callahan and Riley.

But something has changed within me. And I am just going to admit to something. I do not like Scott Frost. I was as excited as everyone else when he was hired, but something about him rubs me the wrong way. I cannot put my finger on it but I just don't like the guy. And I also think he is not that great of a coach.

Anyway, it is getting harder and harder and harder for me to generate any enthusiasm anymore for Husker football. My sister, who grew up in Lincoln too and now lives in Greenwood, has been just as big of a Husker fan as I have and yet she too now feels the same. I asked her on the phone the other day if she was getting that same vibe from other Nebraskans who are die-hard fans. And she said "Oh yeah. Nobody really gives a shit anymore." I have another friend who just gave up his season tickets which he has had since 1981. He told me he has "better things to do with my life on Saturday afternoons in the Fall than waste my time and money on Husker football."

And so I am curious... do others on here feel the same? Or am I just a depressive outlier who needs to quit whining? What is the vibe back in Nebraska? How much is left in the tank of the Husker fan base?
I can’t imagine life without husker football, I still try to arrange my fall Saturdays around game time, wear my husker gear throughout the week, and hope for the best.

If this year doesn’t show a turnaround, I’m not sure what to think. If frost is fired, and if this year is another flop he should be, I hope we find someone who can change things around. I believe if frost isn’t that guy, we will find him.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with Frost, but his ego seems to be pretty inflated. That’s a turn off. I’m not where you are Pennsy, and I hope things improve and you can regain the excitement that husker football brings.

Hang in there, buddy, you’re one of the good guys here...
Two great fug’n posts...

I rarely come to this board for Husker talk. I have lost a lot of interest in what's going on with the program but you can guarantee when fall gets here it will come back so I can be let down again. I'm not sure I could name one recruit from the class we just signed. It's only going to get worse. Viewership for sports in general is down and putting a poor product out on the field for 20 years isn't going to entice a bunch of kids. How do you convince your kids watching a team that struggles to win 5 games in football or basketball is worth watching?
Not sure if serious, but if you are that’s a damn shame. There are at least 8-10 future NFL prospects between recruits and transfers.

Deer Lowered, I hope you are exaggerating.

*** To the posters saying ish about the losses not ruining their weekends anymore: I wish I could agree. I’ve gotten a lot better, due to forced practice, but every loss especially the vast amounts of “we should have won” or “we legitimately had more talent than the opponent” losses (see 2020 Illini where “after” I literally canceled my annual rivals sub... still haven’t decided to reup,) gut me and I have to do everything in my power to not be a Dick to my own family every time.

I haven’t given up on Frost yet. I’m holding out hope that we turn the corner this season.

but like @Pennsyhusker and @timnsun my faith is waivering... how can it not.

#GBR

I'm just tired of these kind of threads. You'll get your likes and folks will agree, but that seems disingenuous. Some people are apathetic. I don't believe it's necessary or relevant. It's pathetic.
Look I am not interested in having a pissing contest with anyone. So let’s start again. I don’t know why you think my post was disingenuous. It was offered as an honest and straightforward opinion with no hidden agenda. And I think the issue I am raising ... fan apathy... is a real one, and important. It is important because our huge fan support is one of our last remaining mainstays that is a big recruiting tool. That is why the Spring game was always so important for recruiting. When recruits see 75,000 people show up for a glorified scrimmage it impresses. So the issue of how long that fan support can hold on in the face of one losing season after another is damn important in my view. You may disagree. That’s cool. You might find it cliche and overworked and tiresome. I do not. But judging by the responses on here it seems others found it to be an important topic too.

My original post seems to have gotten your dander up for some reason. It provoked a bit of anger. At least that is how it seemed to me. And I responded in kind. For that I apologize. But I see no reason why we can’t have, on a football chat board, a civil conversation about growing fan apathy. Seems like a legit topic to me. Maybe I am wrong, but it is an issue that genuinely concerns me since I feel it in myself so I posted about it.

And the only reason I posted about my history as a rabid Husker fan ... my “bona fides”... was to highlight the fact that if even a 55 year fan of Husker football can fall into apathy maybe a similar thing is happening as well with many other fans. I wasn’t trying to build myself up or to thump my chest in pride. Quite to the contrary. I was making as I called it a “confession” or an “admission” about my apathy and it isn’t something I am proud of at all. It actually fills me with sadness that something that brought me such joy for so long, something that is a deep part of my childhood memories and my bonding with my father, now means so much less to me.

Peace

I’ll also add that this pandemic hasn’t helped generate the usual excitement. No spring game in ‘20, an impromptu fall camp followed by an empty memorial stadium in which we looked terrible against Illinois and Minny did take the luster away for me. But like many have said on here, this is my team and I have no option but to continue to support until the end.

I agree with your assessment of Scott Frost. I was overjoyed when he was hired. I cringed a little when he commented about his former teammates being out of shape and some of the B1G comments, but I thought it was the start of bringing back the swagger we would have once he started winning most games after the B1G took their last best shot at the current beat up program.

Fast forward three years and he’s just a pathetic chump whose 15 minutes of fame is a distant memory - just like great Husker football. He is still the coach of my team and I will “hope” for a miraculous turnaround and that he can “learn” how to be a coach on our dime, but if there is not monumental improvement this season, I just can’t see him being anymore than another Bo Pelini.

I can tell you I can identity who the troll’s are and you should be able to identify them as well..

And I have plenty concerns about the football program but I don’t go bad mouthing SF on every issue like jlb321 does regarding anything, plenty of us have seen he isn’t a true Nebraska fan and most likely a ioweigian portraying to pretend to be Husker fan..

On the record your not one of the trolls who I’m referring too.

Lorax64 is a troll
Cinnamonflaveredgum is troll
huskers99 was a troll
beatdahuskers is a troll
Some others have been banned so I don’t need to bring up any more names..

Husker games (Especially home games, if you are heading to Lincoln) are like birthday parties.

I think some of you are so worried about the score.

I had a very vivid dream about husker football last night. They were playing Texas a&m and we're tied 7 to 7. The game started off okay. Then the offense went to crap and the next thing I know we were down 21 to 7. We pulled the quarterback and put in someone younger and unknown and he started completing passes. The offense immediately improved. Not sure what the outcome was because it started getting weird after that. My only take away is that we need a spark on offense from someone new.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I can tell you I can identity who the troll’s are and you should be able to identify them as well..

And I have plenty concerns about the football program but I don’t go bad mouthing SF on every issue like jlb321 does regarding anything, plenty of us have seen he isn’t a true Nebraska fan and most likely a ioweigian portraying to pretend to be Husker fan..

On the record your not one of the trolls who I’m referring too.

Lorax64 is a troll
Cinnamonflaveredgum is troll
huskers99 was a troll
beatdahuskers is a troll
Some others have been banned so I don’t need to bring up any more names..
Some of those other guys sure, but I don't think Huskerz99 is a troll. His posts always seemed reasonable to me.

Fair assessment. I still care, but honestly don't have the same level of passion as 5 or 10 years ago. That said, if they start winning again, I'm sure I'll be right back there. Winning cures almost every ill.

Some of those other guys sure, but I don't think Huskerz99 is a troll. His posts always seemed reasonable to me.

giphy.gif.cf.gif

I don't get the meaning/definition of a troll. It seems that if someone comes on here and says something someone else doesn't agree with, the defense is to call the person a troll. Use the ignore button, read what you want, it's a free country. Reacting by calling someone a troll seems pretty weak.

Last edited:
I don't get the meaning/definition of a troll. It seems that if someone comes on here and says something someone else doesn't agree with, the defense is to call the person a troll. Use the ignore button, read what you want, it's a free country. Reacting by calling someone s troll seems pretty weak.
WIKIPEDIA_-_definition_of_a_troll_-_yellow_background.jpg.cf.jpg

This fits huskerz99 to a Tee!

the proper wording is fit to a t - not Tee Winking

A t-shirt can be called a “tee,” so it makes a sort of sense that a properly fitting garment could be said to “fit to a tee,” but the original expression is actually “fit to a t.” The “t” may refer to a drafting t-square, though that is uncertain.

Common Errors in English Language Usage

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
My interest in Nebraska football started to wane during the Callahan years. The only game I watched last season was Ohio State. Back in the 70's I could have named ever player on the team, today I could probably name 10. The biggest problem I have with the coaching staff is the lack of player development. Players don't seem to be getting better from game to game or season to season. I don't enjoy current husker football anymore, however I can watch an old game from the 70's, 80's or 90's and enjoy watching that just as much today as I did back then.

How depressing you all are. For the person who said I can't remember a recruits name try starting with Tom Fidone.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Guess the mods got it wrong then.

But I think they got it right. He was constantly flaming, even started a thread about Smothers transferring... if that isn’t trolling, then what is?

I think the ignore button works for those posters as well.

Ignoring trolls really is the best course of action, as they just aren’t worth the time. For example there is some Iowa clown, Matt something or another, that spent months following me around in these threads just talking crap on a personal level, not even remotely about the topics, just being a pathetic human being so I decided to put him on ignore. I think he still does it, but now I don’t have to see it.

But ignoring a troll doesn’t mean they aren’t a troll. And the poster I replied to seemed legitimately confused as to what trolling is.

I got out of my first marriage in three years.

"Why can't I quit you, Herbie?"

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT