ADVERTISEMENT

A confession

Full disclosure I was too young to really remember Nebraska when they were Nebraska. I really started following things in 2001. Growing up I lived and died with the team but with every new coach Ive become less interested. I was fooled by Frost like everyone else was, it's now clear that 2017 season was a flash in the pan. I believe the last time I went to a game was Rileys first year when we beat Michigan State. I've been busy coaching my own teams since. It's just hard to get excited when I only see this team winning 3 or 4 games next year and everyone being ok with that because it's Scott Frost driving us further into the ground. It used to ruin peoples entire weekends when we lost. Now it's ah what the hell there's always next year or the next coach or the next QB. No thanks Ill watch casually as I have for the past 2 years. It's just easier that way.
The one thing here I disagree with is the “winning 3 or 4 games and everyone being ok with that” part.

I don’t believe anyone is ok with it. If frost only wins 3 or 4 games next year I believe he’s gone. No question. And he should be. And I’m as big of a supporter of Frost as this board has seen.

Please don’t confuse patience with acceptance. I’ve shown a lot of patience for this coaching staff. But if we have another 4 win season, I’m out of patience.

For me the interest has been dying off little by little.. it really picked up for me during the disaster of Scott's 2nd year, but it's been a slow roll coming.

I was late tuning into a game this year. I must have missed the first 10 - 15 minutes, which would have been unthinkable in the past.

I have found myself becoming cynical about the program. Others have noticed. It's like a joke anymore, and that's not a funny joke.

It could turn around.. I mean you have to keep getting back up, but sometimes I think some fans want to just accept things the way they are.

Everyone's different in how we handle it.

I still think you're a husker fan deep down.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Pennsy, you know me pretty well and have now seen the best that college football has ever seen and now the worst of Nebraska football since the Bill Jennings era the past 6 years..

We all wanted SF at the time of the end of the 2017 season and anyone saying different isn’t being honest with themselves theremmight have been a few coaches we all had different wishes for that all of us would have wanted if it presented itself with the opportunity..

SF was the hottest community out there in 2017 and he was one of our own so now we’re paying the price now realizing he and his staff caught lighting in a bottle which I have posted many times the last 2 years..But I’m willing to be more patient for the next year or two but his staff needs to improve immensely this coming season to have a winning season and compete for the West division and make it to a descent bowl game..

I have not posted a whole lot on here lately and that is for a reason. Quite frankly, I just am no longer all that excited about Husker football. And to put that in perspective, as those who know me a bit on here understand, I have been as rabid a Husker fan as they come since 1965 when I attended my first Husker game with my dad when I was 7. I sold concessions in the stands and attended every game until I went off to college back East in 1978. And even then I remember paying for long distance calls on Saturdays so my dad could put the phone up near the radio so I could listen to Bremser call the games. I have lived on the East coast since 1978 and have still found a way to attend two Husker home games a year and I have been to many bowl games and away games. I am not a fair weather fan. I have bled Husker Red even during the doldrums of Callahan and Riley.

But something has changed within me. And I am just going to admit to something. I do not like Scott Frost. I was as excited as everyone else when he was hired, but something about him rubs me the wrong way. I cannot put my finger on it but I just don't like the guy. And I also think he is not that great of a coach.

Anyway, it is getting harder and harder and harder for me to generate any enthusiasm anymore for Husker football. My sister, who grew up in Lincoln too and now lives in Greenwood, has been just as big of a Husker fan as I have and yet she too now feels the same. I asked her on the phone the other day if she was getting that same vibe from other Nebraskans who are die-hard fans. And she said "Oh yeah. Nobody really gives a shit anymore." I have another friend who just gave up his season tickets which he has had since 1981. He told me he has "better things to do with my life on Saturday afternoons in the Fall than waste my time and money on Husker football."

And so I am curious... do others on here feel the same? Or am I just a depressive outlier who needs to quit whining? What is the vibe back in Nebraska? How much is left in the tank of the Husker fan base?
I'm your age and have similar Husker background - went to all the home games in the 70s and early 80s until moving to SoCal. I still attended 1-2 home games every year and usually an away game. No, I don't feel the same. I still follow them closely and get excited every fall. I will until I die. It is just the way it is, like I would still love my brother even if he robbed a bank. The one thing is since Pelini the inability of our team to execute basic football techniques (blocking, tackling, kick defense and returns, playing cleanly, completing forward passes, snapping the ball, holding onto the ball, etc. etc. etc.) has gone beyond irritating, beyond enraging, to where it is now fascinating for me to watch. Like a train wreck you can't turn away from. I attended my local high school games in SoCal and here now that I'm back. It is astonishing to me, like mind-blowing that the high school teams play football way more soundly than Nebraska. I don't dislike Scott Frost, he just isn't a quality head football coach. At least not so far. If things don't improve he will be terminated and we will move on and new hope will spring forth.

The BigRedMachine simply MUST return to a #1 priority of smashmouth cfb. I know the vast majority of posters here insist on endless fluffball even when we lose to almost everybody (Clownahan, Smiling Mile & now HCSF). But after a while, maybe they'll start really hoping we "win" some games.

Pennsy, you know me pretty well and have now seen the best that college football has ever seen and now the worst of Nebraska football since the Bill Jennings era the past 6 years..

We all wanted SF at the time of the end of the 2017 season and anyone saying different isn’t being honest with themselves theremmight have been a few coaches we all had different wishes for that all of us would have wanted if it presented itself with the opportunity..

SF was the hottest community out there in 2017 and he was one of our own so now we’re paying the price now realizing he and his staff caught lighting in a bottle which I have posted many times the last 2 years..But I’m willing to be more patient for the next year or two but his staff needs to improve immensely this coming season to have a winning season and compete for the West division and make it to a descent bowl game..
I agree especially on special teams frost has to show some resemblance being a complete team I never thought that the special teams would be a detriment a negative impact just mind boggling, I go back to my post is frost in over his head or are his assistants letting him down and he takes the heat?

I can relate to almost all the posters.

1. Last year I threw my Husker flag in the garbage, only to run out 2 days later to grab it before the trash guys got it.
2. I've had numerous conversations with friends to say "i'm done with this"
3. I told my dad - "Now I know what it was like to be KState in the 80s"
4. I've started lining up chores to do on Saturday - just in case the game goes 'off-the-rails'
5. I've told people I'll never stop loving the Big Red.

I'm probably going to stick with #5.
Even though it sucks.

I'm your age and have similar Husker background - went to all the home games in the 70s and early 80s until moving to SoCal. I still attended 1-2 home games every year and usually an away game. No, I don't feel the same. I still follow them closely and get excited every fall. I will until I die. It is just the way it is, like I would still love my brother even if he robbed a bank. The one thing is since Pelini the inability of our team to execute basic football techniques (blocking, tackling, kick defense and returns, playing cleanly, completing forward passes, snapping the ball, holding onto the ball, etc. etc. etc.) has gone beyond irritating, beyond enraging, to where it is now fascinating for me to watch. Like a train wreck you can't turn away from. I attended my local high school games in SoCal and here now that I'm back. It is astonishing to me, like mind-blowing that the high school teams play football way more soundly than Nebraska. I don't dislike Scott Frost, he just isn't a quality head football coach. At least not so far. If things don't improve he will be terminated and we will move on and new hope will spring forth.

I am sure there are many who still retain their passion, but I'm guessing there are more that are losing it like the OP - I know I am. I still look through the local paper of the NE town I grew up in including the obituaries. Its pretty common to see following Husker football being put into the epitaphs of these people's lives. They are being replaced by a younger generation one whose high water mark with NU football was probably watching them give up 70 in the B10 championship game, and they have seen enough blow-outs, blooper reels and revolving doors of coaches to stunt whatever interest they have. The fact that NU football has retained the amount of interest it has, despite the prolonged on-field ineptitude, is largely due to folks who have grown up with NU football being engrained in them. Winning more would definitely help, but I can't help but think the passion for NU football may never be quite the same again.

Last edited:
The BigRedMachine simply MUST return to a #1 priority of smashmouth cfb. I know the vast majority of posters here insist on endless fluffball even when we lose to almost everybody (Clownahan, Smiling Mile & now HCSF). But after a while, maybe they'll start really hoping we "win" some games.

This is true. We used to be rather unique in that way. Now we're just like all the others.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
I went to my first game a Memorial before Bob arrived in 1959. I thought it was so cool to be at a college football game even if they weren't winning. A kid from my family's church had received a scholarship and he was in my sister's grade. I've followed it since. Been to all the NC bowl games. I've gone sour on the program. Scott thinks a lot of himself. He might get it right and that would be great. His opening remarks were similar to BC's when he was hired. Bill didn't understand college football and Scott didn't understand BIG. Scott basically brought a bunch of UNI coaches with him. The good thing is Chin. He gets a bunch of crap here, but he is making progress. I will cheer for Nebraska, but won't devote a day to watch them.

I hear that comment all of the time about going "back" to smashmouth" football. The truth of the matter is it really doesn't matter what he runs, you have to coach it well and to the smallest detail. Does anyone think that with the technique we have seen by our OL that we can run smashmouth football? Few schools have perfected it and it is somewhat the system but more on the coaches who know and understand it to the smallest detail. Tom did and his staff did. Why does everyone think it can easily be replicated? It cannot or everyone would be doing it.

Nebraska football has been such a big part of my life for so long, I don't anticipate a time that I would ever lose interest or simply not care. Our family has has season tickets for over 60 years. Nebraska games were not just games, but events with friends and family. While I haven't lost interest, I have grown very frustrated. Losing is tough and it is exceptionally tough for Nebraska fans, because so many people have been waiting for so long for Nebraska football to falter and are lining up to take their shots and pour salt in the wound.

I have always been patient with our coaches and have tried hard to understand what they are trying to do, although there was a point with Callahan, Bo and Riley where it became obvious to me it wasn't going to work out with each and that we had to move on. I have always thought the fan support at Nebraska was one of our best assets and I think the best thing we can do as fans is continue that. I know some on here disagree and they think they are doing their part by drawing attention to the things they don't like, etc.

As a Nebraska fan I have been fortunate enough to watch: 3 national Championship teams, 2 Heisman Trophy winners, the greatest defensive player of All-Time and the greatest CFB Team of All-Time. So I will be patient enough to stick with them while we are down, but my dad is getting up there and has some health issues and I really hope we can get back on top while he can still enjoy it.

Last edited:
I went to my first game a Memorial before Bob arrived in 1959. I thought it was so cool to be at a college football game even if they weren't winning. A kid from my family's church had received a scholarship and he was in my sister's grade. I've followed it since. Been to all the NC bowl games. I've gone sour on the program. Scott thinks a lot of himself. He might get it right and that would be great. His opening remarks were similar to BC's when he was hired. Bill didn't understand college football and Scott didn't understand BIG. Scott basically brought a bunch of UNI coaches with him. The good thing is Chin. He gets a bunch of crap here, but he is making progress. I will cheer for Nebraska, but won't devote a day to watch them.

So you actually are one of the few on here that has seen Nebraska in red helmets with the white strip in the Jennings years..👍🏼

Like OP, I too am an old guy and maybe that means I’m just grumpy. But like OP my enthusiasm for Husker football has fallen off the cliff, mostly limited to discussing with you guys and recording games for rapid playback instead of 3 1/2 hours ruined on most football Saturdays.

I too find Frost hard to stomach, but so is Tommie Frazier! The difference is I didn’t care when they were players on our championship teams. I am grateful that the Colts have a good pro team or else football season would be pretty dull. I wish I could see our losing ways ending soon, but there is no sign of it that I can detect.

I have not posted a whole lot on here lately and that is for a reason. Quite frankly, I just am no longer all that excited about Husker football. And to put that in perspective, as those who know me a bit on here understand, I have been as rabid a Husker fan as they come since 1965 when I attended my first Husker game with my dad when I was 7. I sold concessions in the stands and attended every game until I went off to college back East in 1978. And even then I remember paying for long distance calls on Saturdays so my dad could put the phone up near the radio so I could listen to Bremser call the games. I have lived on the East coast since 1978 and have still found a way to attend two Husker home games a year and I have been to many bowl games and away games. I am not a fair weather fan. I have bled Husker Red even during the doldrums of Callahan and Riley.

But something has changed within me. And I am just going to admit to something. I do not like Scott Frost. I was as excited as everyone else when he was hired, but something about him rubs me the wrong way. I cannot put my finger on it but I just don't like the guy. And I also think he is not that great of a coach.

Anyway, it is getting harder and harder and harder for me to generate any enthusiasm anymore for Husker football. My sister, who grew up in Lincoln too and now lives in Greenwood, has been just as big of a Husker fan as I have and yet she too now feels the same. I asked her on the phone the other day if she was getting that same vibe from other Nebraskans who are die-hard fans. And she said "Oh yeah. Nobody really gives a shit anymore." I have another friend who just gave up his season tickets which he has had since 1981. He told me he has "better things to do with my life on Saturday afternoons in the Fall than waste my time and money on Husker football."

And so I am curious... do others on here feel the same? Or am I just a depressive outlier who needs to quit whining? What is the vibe back in Nebraska? How much is left in the tank of the Husker fan base?
Nah. Take the good with the bad and hoping we climb out of this

I feel you Penny. Huskers will always be my team but I don’t see us ever getting back up to the way we were in the 90s. We’re at a disadvantage when it comes to geography/recruiting and we lost that luster and identity the program once had. This year will be it for me for Frost. If we can get a winning season in ‘21 then I guess there will be hope for a brighter future. If we only win 4 games then F’ this, it’s never going to happen with him and I doubt we’ll even get back to Bo Pelini era days. We’ve made too many piss poor decisions and college football has shifted in a very different direction from where it was in the 90s and early 00s.

As for Frost, he’s who I wanted but honestly I don’t think he’s a very good coach. I think he moved up fast in the ranks by being a former national champion and having a broad network of head coaches vouching for him. Kinda like the fake it till you make it, but eventually you have to prove it.

Agree on all counts.

Like OP, I too am an old guy and maybe that means I’m just grumpy. But like OP my enthusiasm for Husker football has fallen off the cliff, mostly limited to discussing with you guys and recording games for rapid playback instead of 3 1/2 hours ruined on most football Saturdays.

I too find Frost hard to stomach, but so is Tommie Frazier! The difference is I didn’t care when they were players on our championship teams. I am grateful that the Colts have a good pro team or else football season would be pretty dull. I wish I could see our losing ways ending soon, but there is no sign of it that I can detect.
I love BIG football in 60. I know before how the game will turn out. I just get to watch without anticipation.

Reactions: Baxter48
Husker football has been a big part of my life since the late 80’s. I still listen to local sports radio shows most of the day and want nothing more than for husker football to be great again. *But*, I’m realistic and if they suck, I’ll tell you they suck. They’ve sucked for a looong time now and I don’t foresee it improving under this staff. I also no longer waste my time watching them lose. I have better ways to spend my day off, other than watching absolute incompetence unfold on my tv screen.

As far as Frost, what I dislike is the BS he feeds us. He needs to just stfu and not say a damn thing. “Best practice ever!” Bullsh*t, stfu. “They’ll have to adjust to us.” Bullsh*t, stfu. “He’s the QB of the future.” Bullsh*t, stfu. And so on and so forth...
I just hope our next coach is a little more understanding that he would need to keep his mouth shut instead of running it. Take the Saban approach, any and all complements, is “rat poison”.

Reactions: Baxter48
Nebraska football has been such a big part of my life for so long, I don't anticipate a time that I would ever lose interest or simply not care. Our family has has season tickets for over 60 years. Nebraska games were not just games, but events with friends and family. While I haven't lost interest, I have grown very frustrated. Losing is tough and it is exceptionally tough for Nebraska fans, because so many people have been waiting for so long for Nebraska football to falter and are lining up to take their shots and pour salt in the wound.

I have always been patient with our coaches and have tried hard to understand what they are trying to do, although there was a point with Callahan, Bo and Riley where it became obvious to me it wasn't going to work out with each and that we had to move on. I have always thought the fan support at Nebraska was one of our best assets and I think the best thing we can do as fans is continue that. I know some on here disagree and they think they are doing their part by drawing attention to the things they don't like, etc.

As a Nebraska fan I have been fortunate enough to watch: 3 national Championship teams, 2 Heisman Trophy winners, the greatest defensive player of All-Time and the greatest CFB Team of All-Time. So I will be patient enough to stick with them while we are down, but my dad is getting up there and has some health issues and I really hope we can get back on top while he can still enjoy it.
My dad passed in 2013 he followed Nebraska football from the 1940’s to 2011 he saw the two bad decades of the 40’s and 50’s and the clownahan debacle, at least they Came back the first part under bo, with his Alzheimer’s he really didn’t care anymore in 2012

Husker football has been a big part of my life since the late 80’s. I still listen to local sports radio shows most of the day and want nothing more than for husker football to be great again. *But*, I’m realistic and if they suck, I’ll tell you they suck. They’ve sucked for a looong time now and I don’t foresee it improving under this staff. I also no longer waste my time watching them lose. I have better ways to spend my day off, other than watching absolute incompetence unfold on my tv screen.

As far as Frost, what I dislike is the BS he feeds us. He needs to just stfu and not say a damn thing. “Best practice ever!” Bullsh*t, stfu. “They’ll have to adjust to us.” Bullsh*t, stfu. “He’s the QB of the future.” Bullsh*t, stfu. And so on and so forth...
I just hope our next coach is a little more understanding that he would need to keep his mouth shut instead of running it. Take the Saban approach, any and all complements, is “rat poison”.

Honest question. Why do some fans get so bent out of shape about press conferences? Coaches have to meet with the press and answer the questions.

And you know the stuff you are so angry about, he didn’t actually say, right? He didn’t say “they will have to adjust to us”, having watched the press conference that is so wildly out of context and gets repeated constantly. He has said when he thinks we have a good practice, but he also says when he thinks we had a poor practice. Just honestly answering the questions.

The product on that field sucks and is upsetting, but this anger over press conferences, I will never understand.

Last edited:
Pennsy....

I can relate with your waning fan interest.

I have shared this before...due to a very stressful fall of 2020 with work that was impacting my overall health, I asked a family member to text me after games around midseason if I should watch it. The score was never given to me.

I would receive the following text messages....watch it (win), maybe later (competitive loss), never (blowout loss). I didn’t need the added stress watching the games as I tried to rest up for the next work week.

I still visit this website multiple times a day and I enjoy interacting with everyone. I listen to podcasts daily on 1620 am.

Nebraska Football has provided me with so many great memories over the years. I truly hope they can turn it around but Nebraska Football does not consume me like it used to.

Last edited:
I don't see myself ever giving up on Husker football. But as I've posted before, I really worry that we're running out of time to ever reclaim our position at the top. I think the days of college football as we know it are numbered. The whole thing seems destined to morph into a junior league of some sort, separate from education institutions.

Hang in there, toast the good ole days with your favorite bourbon, and the sun will rise tomorrow.

I watched a few games prior to the 1/1/1971 Orange Bowl. I'll say I was hooked during that game. I can remember watching on TV, especially Thanksgiving 1971. Never saw a game in person until I started college at UNL in the mid 70s. I've been hooked for decades but was UPSET throughout the Callahan years and the BO...blowouts. Never got onboard with MR and was more than ready for him to go when he did. I haven't blamed him for the mess that is Nebraska Football right now, you can argue 2018 is on Mike, I don't agree but I'm not gonna shit my pants over it.
I never liked Frost, even as a player, I thought he was a spoiled brat and a baby. Then he was hired as our coach and I was pretty excited. I don't need to like the coach, "just win baby win"! Then he has, on numerous occasions, reminded me why I never liked him. He just needs to keep his ****ing mouth shut.
I really fell of the ledge as the 2018 season played out. I lost confidence in Frost and his group of merry men.
I still watch, can't miss a game but I find myself not as pissed off as I was a couple of years ago. That doesn't mean I am willing to put up with this shit show, I'm not. I'm not going to be OK with 6 wins in 2021. I'll be disappointed but not hoping he is fired with 7 wins. I really think even an average coach would win 8 with the experience we have coming back. I would be happy with 9 wins, for 2021. And be happy with continued improvement.

Reactions: countrybob

This seems fickle to me.You don't have to post on a message board to be a fanatic. As far as Frost, I think he has conducted himself well, and I don't understand your dislike. He may not be a good coach, but I think he will be. I will always watch the Huskers play, whether it be in the stadium or in my house. What are you looking for in this post?

This seems fickle to me.You don't have to post on a message board to be a fanatic. As far as Frost, I think he has conducted himself well, and I don't understand your dislike. He may not be a good coach, but I think he will be. I will always watch the Huskers play, whether it be in the stadium or in my house. What are you looking for in this post?
I am “looking” for exactly what I said I am looking for. I want to know if others are getting the same sense I am that more and more fans are becoming apathetic. Read the post. You can call it fickle or whatever. I don’t give a shit. I have earned my bona fides as a Husker fan and I make no apologies to anyone. You don’t understand my dislike for Frost? Once again, I don’t give a shit. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Arrogant. False bravado. Empty words. Three losing seasons. An offense in reverse gear. Bush league coaching staff. Can’t keep his best players on campus. Any other questions?

I am “looking” for exactly what I said I am looking for. I want to know if others are getting the same sense I am that more and more fans are becoming apathetic. Read the post. You can call it fickle or whatever. I don’t give a shit. I have earned my bona fides as a Husker fan and I make no apologies to anyone. You don’t understand my dislike for Frost? Once again, I don’t give a shit. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Arrogant. False bravado. Empty words. Three losing seasons. An offense in reverse gear. Bush league coaching staff. Can’t keep his best players on campus. Any other questions?

So you are looking for consensus ? I don't agree with you. I don't care about you selling peanuts or whatever.

I think a lot of people feel this way and have just stopped posting. The board cheerleaders try to convince people that everything's fine. But there's a growing contigent of the fanbase who are either sick of Frost or are checking out.

I wholly agree ! My tank is empty ! Sadly, Scott reminds me so much of his dad, who I knew.

So you are looking for consensus ? I don't agree with you. I don't care about you selling peanuts or whatever.
I am looking for consensus??? I believe I stated quite clearly that I don’t give a shit whether you agree with me or not. You seem to have real issues in reading comprehension

I am looking for consensus??? I believe I stated quite clearly that I don’t give a shit whether you agree with me or not. You seem to have real issues in reading comprehension

I do not. You are more intelligent than what you're insinuating. Of course some portion of the fanbase has become apathetic. It is the tail, however. That is fine. Frost may well be fired. Maybe he isn't a good head coach.

The Frost thing seems caddy. It is "coachspeak." My reading comprehension is excellent, professor.

Good post, feel the exact same way.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT